• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Sony President Hiroki Totoki Wants To Go Aggressive In Growth With 1st party Multi-Platform Releases

N 2 Deep

Moblin
Pronouns
he/him/his

gn1.PNG

Looks like the industry is going to change a lot this generation yall

Sony misses PS5 sales target as console enters ‘latter stage of its life cycle’​

The PS financial update was pretty grim. I didn't think they would meet their 25 million PS5s sold target but they're not forecasting 21 million, a significant drop. Profit margins aren't great either. Sony needs to get their development costs under control.

The PS financial update was pretty grim. I didn't think they would meet their 25 million PS5s sold target but they're not forecasting 21 million, a significant drop. Profit margins aren't great either. Sony needs to get their development costs under control.

It seems more and more likely the software hit Microsoft took in 2022 and 2023 because of Covid is going to affect Sony this upcoming year

The industry seems to have peaked in terms of saturation with dedicated console market and I would expect more multi-platform releases from 1st parties on PC going forward. The strive for infinite growth is finally going to crumble the underbelly of the console industry I have hated for so long, fanboys LMAO

This is the "latter stage"?

Geez if this is the later stage then this gen has been a slow burn all around.

Oh well.

Looks like there will be a lot of changes to the console space as we know it.

AAA budgets have gotten so wildly out of control that the economics of exclusivity no longer make a lick of sense. By 2030, the console wars will be nothing but a memory.

AAA development has gotten out of control, Sony either needs a lot more first party studios or to stop trying to chase insane graphical developments that lead to 5-6 development cycles. Honestly one of the worst gens so far for PS.

MS: hey we're gonna start putting CoD on your systems
Nintendo: cool
MS: actually we're gonna start putting a bunch of our games on your systems
Sony: ...yeah us too

"Luigi wins by doing absolutely nothing" energy lol

This lines up with that leak that Microsoft suspended production and Sony halved their production due to holiday overstock

After all the "Nintendo should go 3rd party" demands over the years they will be the last ones standing

ironic.jpg
It's also funny that people complain about Iwata ditching the hardware arms race after the Gamecube, and now it seems like that decision saved their business in the long term.

Honestly, if both Sony and MS put first party games on PC i'll only end up picking up a Steam Deck 2/Switch 2 next generation.
As someone who was predominantly Wii/PC during 360/PS3 era this has always been the right choice.

Lower the price so I can afford one, don't raise it again you fools
Very unlikely to happen if their profit margins are so low that they needed to raise the price in the recentish past

With Microsoft's apparent plans and now this, Nintendo could very well end up being the last company standing as far as the norm goes with dedicated hardware and exclusives.

Good luck, with Sony's 1st party strategy, i fail to see how they will be able to improve in this area.

If anything, dev time of their 1st party games will INCREASE in the near future.

Unless you're Insomniac.

So they already release some first party games on PC, does this mean they will release all on PS and PC or does this include Xbox as going third party doesn’t make a lick of sense if it’s just two platforms (I would call it Duo platform instead of multi platform)

The problem also is I think Sony got too comfortable letting their exclusives be on PC, the design of the consoles being essentially PC parts in a box, they've lost differentiation. What they have left is inertia from people on PSN and wanting to hold on to their libraries and the Sony superfans who will just buy a Sony product no matter what.

You saw this trend start to emerge with PS4 but really kicked off in PS5. If gamers can play their games on PC, there's no point investing in a PlayStation even for exclusives anymore. Xbox fell into the same hole chasing quick bucks to offset spiraling dev costs.

It will indeed be quite ironic if Nintendo is left the last console standing and proven right that dev costs at the high end and consumer expectations of receiving multiple AAA exclusive titles a year are unsustainable.

My decision to just stick with PC/Steam Deck and Nintendo this generation is increasingly looking like the right choice
This is what I may end up doing. I have a Switch and plan to get Switch 2. I've been looking into getting XSX and PS5 at some point, but, depending on how things pan out, I may just pick up a Steam Deck instead to go along with my Nintendo hardware.

Nintendo really has been running 9th gen.

The more the gen goes on the more it screams "just keep playing on your PC" lol

If this encourages the whole industry to stop being unreasonable with the scale of development, that's good news.

If this prompts the whole mass of self-proclaimed analyst morons to lobby for Nintendo to go PC because Sony the same way they absolutely had to go mobile because Candy Crush, that's shitty news.

Also, with all the problem I have with what PS5 is, their first party games are quite awesome and this sounds like a "we want to make more money" statement from Sony, not like a "we want to be more reasonnable with the scale of our project" statement

AAA games take too long to make and are too expensive to make for their own good. And Sony's only making it worse for themselves with their GaaS plans, since those will take forever to develop and most will be unlikely to bear fruit.

Nintendo cracked the code ages ago: make less graphically intensive games, they're cheaper and less time consuming to develop. Not everything needs to be a big 10 million + seller. The Switch's first party output has been incredible while the competition has slowed to a complete crawl. The answer has been right there, and most of the industry doesn't want to listen.

I'll be honest: this 100% focus on AAAA titles by companies are absolutely killing their margins. Maybe it's time the industry descoped their game budgets.

this is....a very worrying quote tbh

Sounds like a precursor to layoffs, but I hope I'm wrong

It's also funny that people complain about Iwata ditching the hardware arms race after the Gamecube, and now it seems like that decision saved their business in the long term.
Same energy:

IMG-1507.png

Definitely one of the smartest things Nintendo ever did. It was only a matter of time before chasing hardware performance became unsustainable.

And personally, Nintendo’s games still looked good despite lower specs because its art direction was normally 🤌.

Back
Top Bottom