• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Sony PlayStation Discussion |ST| The Last God of Clank 7

I doubt it's about the game, honestly.

Pretending to be totally unaware of the controversy around the title is Step 1.

Step 2 is the 'what me, guv?' phase.

Steps 3 through 5 fall under what I like to call the 'gradually eliminate all reasonable doubt that they're arguing in good faith' umbrella.

Step 6-
For real. What even prompted the initial comment

ANYWAY

Ghostwire Tokyo looks very me. I was into it aesthetically the moment they announced it but recent previews make me think I might have to pick that up at launch. I wanna zap some spooks with my magic hands!

I don't think it's that big of a deal if we decide against having a Hogwarts game ST for the sake of our trans fam.

I certainly don't think there'd be much backlash if Richard Spencer started making music and we forbid an ST about that here.

Sure, it's just art. And I'm happy you are able to separate the art from the artist. But don't assert that willingness to ignore the artist upon others, especially if the artist's actions effects them and not you.

If we were to decide against hosting a Hogwarts game ST, and you understand why, and yet you still make a fuss about it as if you can't just go discuss it somewhere else — too bad for you.
I’m sorry, but the example you’ve mentioned is absolutely absurd. I also do not understand why it’s okay for users here to pile onto @MP! in a hostile manner, including an Administrator of the site. You can convey the same without coming across as super unwelcoming. I would have expected better, but I assumed wrong I guess.

I’m sorry, but the example you’ve mentioned is absolutely absurd.
I disagree, but if you'd like to explain how it's absurd I'm open to hearing it.

I also do not understand why it’s okay for users here to pile onto @MP! in a hostile manner, including an Administrator of the site.
You're probably not seeing what these users you mention are seeing, then.

You can convey the same without coming across as super unwelcoming. I would have expected better, but I assumed wrong I guess.
I don't appreciate the discussion being derailed into accusations of impoliteness.

My two cents is that people who're interested in this game are going to look this game up and discuss it anyway, JK Rowling or not, but posting it here, you'll be able to inform the people browsing about the whole situation with JK Rowling who may not be aware of the idiotic views being spouted

Last edited:
I doubt it's about the game, honestly.

Pretending to be totally unaware of the controversy around the title is Step 1.

Step 2 is the 'what me, guv?' phase.

Steps 3 through 5 fall under what I like to call the 'gradually eliminate all reasonable doubt that they're arguing in good faith' umbrella.

Step 6-
big fan of step 6

ANYWAY

Ghostwire Tokyo looks very me. I was into it aesthetically the moment they announced it but recent previews make me think I might have to pick that up at launch. I wanna zap some spooks with my magic hands!
You have the chance to get more impressions of the game tomorrow.

Staff Communication
Staff Communication
We will resolve the reports in the thread soon, this has been a long time coming.

Please ONLY talk about the SoP in the linked thread unless guidelines within that thread are met.

-Harina, Donnie, Rika

OK, I'm going to dump my Horizon: Forbidden West review here after about 35 hours of gameplay and a significant part of the map uncovered.

I played through Zero Dawn and Frozen Wilds earlier this year to reacquaint myself with the gameplay. I found it to be a superlative experience, both in gameplay and in characterization and story. The places that I hoped for the game to improve in the sequel were in these areas:

• Quest design: There was too much "go to area, scan for tracks, follow tracks, combat" in the quests.
  • Improved melee: I think the melee being a bit awkward actually made sense in the context of the gameplay; against lower-level enemies, it was an insta-killer. Heavy attacks knock over enemies and dizzy them that you could critical strike for the rest of the damage; against larger enemies, it was an option when the larger enemy closed on you quickly. Still, there was room for combos to be added.
  • Make climbing easier in some way: I preferred for them to just steal BotW's "climb whatever hill or mountain that you want" approach, but any improvement would be good

They did two of those things, but then they added a bunch of other stuff that isn't any good. In fact, I'd say, a lot of the stuff that Guerrilla added actively bogs the game down.

• Puzzle-solving: How many crate-and-beam platforming puzzles can one solve? These are dull as dirt, and they're everywhere: Finding relics, within quests, etc.
  • Gating puzzles and areas behind progression: I don't know which idiot or group of idiots on the dev team thought, "hey, let's gate a bunch of stuff in the open world behind tools that the player won't pick up until they hit a certain point in the main quest," but I hate their idea deeply. I enjoy exploring the world and competing the main quest at my own pace, but there is so much in the main game that is inaccessible either because you don't have a tool that you need to get via the main quest OR just because the area doesn't become "active" until you get to that point in the main quest.
  • Lots of side quests...: ...that are mostly "go to area, scan for tracks, follow tracks, combat" in structure.
  • Too many trappings of other games that I don't like, such as so many weapons and not enough resources to upgrade them without feeling like you have to pick something and stick with it: It's also pretty awful that you have to do even more hunting for even more animals' or robots' resources to hit your upgrades. Killing turkeys until you randomly got the two turkey bones you needed wasn't fun in the first game. Now, there are way more birds than just turkeys and geese. Only a vulture skin will help you upgrade the weapon that you need the second coil slot for! Not a turkey! Not a goose! Not a pigeon! Not a cormorant! (OK, that last one might not even be in the game, but you get the point.)

Not even being able to acquire rare robot parts through other means really helps with that last part. You will always be short on parts and it will always be a pain in the ass to get said parts. Even being able to target specific parts via your focus isn't enough; you still have to track down the parts. The combat works, but the new weapons that have been added have actually hurt the gameplay in some ways, IMO. In the first game, it was worth setting lots of traps and wires and figuring out how to funnel higher-level or corrupted enemies into your traps. In this game, there are enough weapons that basically make all the trap-setting and planning somewhat pointless. The boltblaster is one example; elemental boltblasters are so powerful, even before they are fully-upgraded, that placing elemental traps and wires is a waste of time. Just walk in with your boltblaster instead and fire away!

But honestly, the worst part is the gating. Here's an example: I got a quest in which I need to reach a mountaintop by "flying" there. So I do: I go to a nearby peak and use the BotW parachute to glide on in. When I get there, I'm told to look for four items that are supposed to be on the mountaintop. Fifteen minutes later, no items. Is the quest bugged? I go online and look it up to see what's what, and I find that I was supposed to fly there in a totally different way that doesn't become available until later in the game. That is AWFUL quest design. On most quests that you can't progress through gating, at the very least, you get an ON HOLD notification. That isn't great - some of these quests are gated for reasons of story, but some really don't need to be to function properly - but it's better than getting the run-around for part of your playtime.

I'm going to finish this game. I like Aloy, the story is pulpy sci-fi fun, and it still does some things well because the first game was exceptional, so those things that have come over in the core gameplay are still great. For example, this game still does towers way better than any other game that has ever used towers. They are actually quite varied in how you approach them. Some require platforming, some require platformer puzzling, some require combat, and they mix and match them enough that they work. One Tallneck is completed in a way that I didn't expect at all. When I did complete it, I was like, "yo, that's cool." I just wish that this game had as many moments like that as the first game did, and considering how much bigger this game is, it's unbelievable that it doesn't.

HOWEVER, if I see one more Guerrilla dev whine about how their game doesn't get enough credit, I'm going to metaphorically puke. This game is a significant step down from Zero Dawn. Lots and lots of open world, but what you do in it is janky or shitty or presented in a bewildering way. The design strategy for this game was "throw a bunch of shit in! More! More! More!" and no one stopped to ask if all this bloat was actually improving the quality of the game in any significant way.

7.5/10, do better Guerrilla. I know that you can.

Last edited:
Isn't the Ghostwire: Tokyo review embargo to be lifted today? In a couple of hours, in fact?

LET'S GO

Ghostwire has passed me by completely haha. I should check it out, but right now I'm looking forward to Tiny Tina's Wonderlands on Friday.
Holding off on Tina until my partner is more available to shoot things with me. Gotta make the most of splitscreen co-op where I can!

Ghostwire has passed me by completely haha. I should check it out, but right now I'm looking forward to Tiny Tina's Wonderlands on Friday.
Damn, PS5 is getting big releases these days. Ghostwire exclusivity is a bummer but I hope it'll apppear on a cloud platform somewhere.

Got that Ghostwire arriving soon, hopefully. Sorry Kirby, I just gotta blast them ghouls

I feel like I'm in the minority with this take, but the more I see of Forspoken the more I'm into it.
I really dig the aesthetic and how flashy it looks but find it really hard to predict how good it'll be as a game. Hopefully it's good.

After not really enjoying it at launch I'm playing Uncharted 4 on PS5 and having a really good time with it. Not sure if it'll top UC3 for me but I'm 6 chapters in and feel like it'll end up being my second favourite Uncharted game at least.

ghostwire good

ghostwire real good
this continues to be true
17fcd83c2bd33-screenshotUrl.jpg

After not really enjoying it at launch I'm playing Uncharted 4 on PS5 and having a really good time with it. Not sure if it'll top UC3 for me but I'm 6 chapters in and feel like it'll end up being my second favourite Uncharted game at least.
Its a bit slow, but when it gets going it’s a great game. Plus I really dig the dynamic between Nate and Elena during this game, the good and bad.

Those long rumoured Project Spartacus rumours have come to fruition:

The headlines are:

• Three tiers at £50, £84 and £100 a year
  • Base tier is exactly the same (in terms of both features and price) as the current PS Plus offering
  • The middle tier adds around 400 downloadable PS4 and PS5 games, including games like Returnal, God of War and Spiderman
  • The top tier adds 340 additional downloadable games from PS1, PS2 and PSP, and PS3 games via streaming
  • PS Now will be no more, with current subscribers initially being moved to the new system at no cost
  • The rollout will be gradual, across regions, starting from June
  • There will be no PS Studios games added at launch, as they "could suffer"

That last point is the most important to me - it makes it seem like it isn't quite a Game Pass competitor. I personally will probably stick to the base tier, but I might get the middle tier for 3 months just so I can try out some of the games. Returnal in particular I want to give a go, but don't want to buy outright in case it ends up being too difficult. It will be interesting to see how often games will be added to the service - and how long will it take for first party games to be added? It certainly seems like they will be added at some point (many of the confirmed games are first party titles), but how long after release do we have to wait?

Oof that's bad, sorry. For that price I'd expect more than old games an getting Sony games long after their launch.

For 120 bucks a year that's insane considering how much more value Game Pass has and even Expansion Pack on Switch due to the family plan.

Yeah it's a bit underwhelming for me. Really is just Now and Plus combined. I've got Now until October so it looks I get a higher tier automatically and finally try out Returnal at least. After that though I'll prob stick with the base tier

I know its not a gamepass competitor exactly but I hoped they'd match it on day one indie games, that would be worth it to me. A library of downloadable ps exclusives is near useless because I've already bought and played Spider-Man, god of war etc

We don't know the entire catalog yet, right? Gonna need to see the full list of games, but I don't think I'm going to pay for this.

Final tier is expensive but that's a lot of games on offer, sucks PS3 is still streaming though.

Depends on the catalogue of course to really evaluate it, but so far this feels like a response to game pass that entirely misses the appeal of game pass.

They really do hate the Vita, huh
It seems this is PS1, PS2 and PSP games that are already on PSN emulated on PS5 and PS3 games on PS Now. Vita is out in the cold and with many games using touch screen it will remain so.

I really don't get their no day 1 releases attitude. I guess we'll have to wait and see at what point games get added to this service, but surely they must be expecting to wait 1.5+ years before adding new releases? Any sooner and they still risk cannibalising sales, which is obviously their reasoning behind not adding them straight away. And if that's how long we have to wait, it just doesn't seem worth the asking price for me.

You could spend 120 a year on Sony's service, and get just old games coming to a service way later. Yeah, sure, they will probably have third party games and everything.

Or you can spend $120 a year(without online) or $180(with online and EA play games), and get Gamepass. Which gets each and every microsoft game day 1, big third party games, and a huge array of retro titles.

I have a lot of nostalgia for the PS1 and PS2..... But this really isn't it.

If it’s the same lineup of PS Now games for the second tier as it is now I doubt I’ll be upgrading. I played through everything I was remotely interested in in like three months. I never played through the FFXIII games so I might do the highest tier for a quarter to play those. Otherwise I’ll probably stick with the base plan. Kind of disappointing overall, tbh.

So if I've got this right:

1. It won't be possible to subscribe to the GamePass equivalent without also subscribing to their online bullshit; the opposite of Game Pass where the online is in the second tier

2. It is more expensive monthly than Game Pass Ultimate, at least in the UK

3. Streaming instead of emulation for PS3 titles

4. No simultaneous release for first party games, which could have justified 2.

5. No tier with a discounted Crunchyroll

Yeah completely unappealing to me lol

Quite happy buying new games, but more Switch Online than Gamepass. If I can buy the "retro" games separately without the sub then I won't bother - especially as Australia still has no streaming and the rollout will likely be at a snail's pace

So if I've got this right:

1. It won't be possible to subscribe to the GamePass equivalent without also subscribing to their online bullshit; the opposite of Game Pass where the online is in the second tier

2. It is more expensive monthly than Game Pass Ultimate, at least in the UK

3. Streaming instead of emulation for retro titles

4. No simultaneous release for first party games, which could have justified 2.

5. No tier with a discounted Crunchyroll

Yeah completely unappealing to me lol
Streaming only for PS3 , PS1/PS2/PSP are downloadable

This is literally PS Plus combined with PS Now (as the PS Plus Extra Tier); with a new PS Plus Premium Tier adding PS1/PS2/PSP games on top of that.

It is it least a price drop for PS Plus + PS Now (Down from $120 per year to $100 per year) though.

Certainly not the Game Pass competitor that many were hyping it up to be.

looks like they're just rebranding psnow and pretending it's something new to try and get people to care about it
Pretty much. This is just a way for them to get their base of 40 million something PS Plus subs interested PSNow and some percentage of that number to try an even more premium subscription, rebranding it like this just makes it more likely people will jump in unlike with multiple services with different names. From that perspective I imagine it'll do well at least, unless reception is overwhelmingly negative.

Yeah doesn't seem like a great deal this. It just seems like a massive rebranding effort combined with raising prices. £100 a year for the highest tier is a lot, especially compared to what Microsoft and Nintendo are offering.

Hasn't been a 'good news' day in the gaming sphere really...

I would call this the worst deal in gaming but NSO Expansion Pack exists
NSO family expansion pack is $10 a year for:
Online Play,
Free multi-player games like Tetris and Pacman 99
Nearly Nintendo's full catalog of NES and SNES titles
A group of genesis games
And a growing library of N64 games with the most accurate emulation we have seen from Nintendo to date.

It's not fantastic by any means. However, I think it is way better in value than Sony's offering.

Even full price. You get to experience most of Nintendo's retro catolog for just $50 a year. With Sony you have to pay $120 a year.

NSO family expansion pack is $10 a year for:
Online Play,
Free multi-player games like Tetris and Pacman 99
Nearly Nintendo's full catalog of NES and SNES titles
A group of genesis games
And a growing library of N64 games with the most accurate emulation we have seen from Nintendo to date.

It's not fantastic by any means. However, I think it is way better in value than Sony's offering.

Even full price. You get to experience most of Nintendo's retro catolog for just $50 a year. With Sony you have to pay $120 a year.
isn't the math here like 100 nintendo games versus 740 on the sony side (granted we don't actually know what most of these games are yet)

but yeah, they both suck, I am not attached to which one is worse

Holding off on Tina until my partner is more available to shoot things with me. Gotta make the most of splitscreen co-op where I can!

I wanna give this a whirl but the EU prices are just too much atm. Need to wait for a price reduction :(

I would call this the worst deal in gaming but NSO Expansion Pack exists

Nah, Expansion Pack isnt great but it's much cheaper than Sonys poor attempt at combining services. PS Now sucked and this just seems like a poor attempt at Sony trying to change its branding without actually making it any better

So this isn't happening until June right, is there any interim deal like the XBL Upgrade for Game Pass to take advantage of with that in mind? Eg. load up on years of PS Now and upgrade to the highest tier at a reduced cost?

I mainly ask as a lapsed PS Gamer without hardware who could dip their toes in with streaming for a while until the eventual PS5 slim There is not currently and will never be room in my living room for the beast that is the PS5 lol

Those long rumoured Project Spartacus rumours have come to fruition:

The headlines are:

• Three tiers at £50, £84 and £100 a year
  • Base tier is exactly the same (in terms of both features and price) as the current PS Plus offering
  • The middle tier adds around 400 downloadable PS4 and PS5 games, including games like Returnal, God of War and Spiderman
  • The top tier adds 340 additional downloadable games from PS1, PS2 and PSP, and PS3 games via streaming
  • PS Now will be no more, with current subscribers initially being moved to the new system at no cost
  • The rollout will be gradual, across regions, starting from June
  • There will be no PS Studios games added at launch, as they "could suffer"

That last point is the most important to me - it makes it seem like it isn't quite a Game Pass competitor. I personally will probably stick to the base tier, but I might get the middle tier for 3 months just so I can try out some of the games. Returnal in particular I want to give a go, but don't want to buy outright in case it ends up being too difficult. It will be interesting to see how often games will be added to the service - and how long will it take for first party games to be added? It certainly seems like they will be added at some point (many of the confirmed games are first party titles), but how long after release do we have to wait?
You get everything but Vita games (many of which are PS3 ports and some of which, like Uncharted: GA, wouldn't work without a touchscreen) for a hundred bucks?

Hell yeah, I'm in. This sounds like a great deal. 700+ games from PS1 - PS5, excluding Vita, for a hundred bucks a year(I'm assuming that's what it'll be since USD and British pound prices tend to be exactly the same despite the pound's greater value).

That is an easy purchase for me.

Back
Top Bottom