• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Sony Announces the Playstation Portal; a Remote Play-oriented Handheld; 199.99 USD | 219.99 EURO | 199.99 GBP | 29,980 YEN

ILikeFeet

Warpstar Knight
a78c95f3054374fa25b193910aea85992b5258d8-scaled.jpg

PlayStation Portal remote player brings the PS5 experience to the palm of your hand. It includes the key features of the DualSense wireless controller, including adaptive triggers and haptic feedback*. The vibrant 8-inch LCD screen is capable of 1080p resolution at 60fps, providing a high definition visual experience that’s expected from the high quality games created by world-class developers.

PlayStation Portal is the perfect device for gamers in households where they might need to share their living room TV or simply want to play PS5 games in another room of the house. PlayStation Portal will connect remotely to your PS5 over Wi-Fi*, so you’ll be able to swiftly jump from playing on your PS5 to your PlayStation Portal. PlayStation Portal can play supported games that are installed on your PS5 console and use the Dualsense controller. It also includes a 3.5mm audio jack for wired audio. PS VR2 games, which require the headset, and games that are streamed through PlayStation Plus Premium’s cloud streaming, are not supported.**

hands on

calling this a "Handheld" is misleading, it's a streaming device. Also I don't wanna hear shit from Sony fans if Switch 2 uses an LCD screen now lol

$200 is still too much for what this is but it’s a better price than what I think was originally rumored/expected ($300+ I think?).

There will be an audience for this, but not for me. I will say the price is cheaper than I expected. Still think it's ugly as hell, lol

200 bucks for a tablet stuck between two parts of a DS5... ah well. At least it's not 300+ as rumored, I guess?

I mean, sometimes my wife is watching her series on the TV and I want to play on the PS5, but even then, a situation like that is rare enough for me to even consider paying €220 to be able to play in another room within our flat.

Having said that, Sony must have done their research and there's probably a crowd for this.

It’s going to be great when these things go on steep sale for like $99 and also you can install homebrew like some kinda Xcloud or GeForce Now front end

It's a way better price than I was expecting, given how nuts Sony's been with their accessories and peripherals this gen. Still seems like a lot for what you're actually getting though.

It's a great idea to offer the option for off-TV play. I'm not part of the target demographic, especially since I don't even have a PS5 yet, but it''s going to have its audience. 200 bucks seems a tad expensive though; even the video in the OP mentions you could also just sync a Dualshock to your phone and achieve similar results.

You're paying $200 for a DualSense with a screen on it, basically. Seems like an okay deal for people who are into handhelds. I don't even play my Switch in handheld mode though, so there's no way I'd ever get this.

This must be the slowest Sony has been at copying Nintendo's controller gimmicks, the Wii U happened ten years ago

I'm joking

The name is nice and the price is good, but there’s nothing that the Portal can do that my Logitech G Cloud can’t do, and there’s seemingly a ton that the G Cloud offers that the Portal doesn’t.

You're paying $200 for a DualSense with a screen on it, basically. Seems like an okay deal for people who are into handhelds. I don't even play my Switch in handheld mode though, so there's no way I'd ever get this.
I talk for me,of course, and i'm huge in handhels (for time and convenience).
This thing is overpriced for what it offers. A competitor offer you a complete portable console for less price, Sony offers you the chance of using the games that you can already play on TV, in a portable way. I sure i'll wait for a deep price cut for this thing

I think the market for people who paid £500+ for a PS5 and now want to pay another £200 to stream games to an awkward looking accessory is extremely small, but hey, I can appreciate the appeal of playing videogames in bed or sitting on the sofa while your partner watches the tv. There’s probably a small number of PS5 owners who are excited for this (especially once the price gets slashed) and good luck to them.

Damn, lots of children gonna be disappointed this Christmas when parents buy this thinking "it's a portable PS5"...

We have a perfect word for this thing, looking at it in the context of a comparison to the Wii U Gamepad:

"Verschlimmbessert"

There's no direct translation for this (just like with Schadenfreude), but it basically means "improving something, but actually (or also) making it worse".

I don’t want to be the clerk that’s gonna explain what this device does to parents buying it for a kid

I don’t want to be the clerk that’s gonna explain what this device does to parents buying it for a kid

I mean, technically, it's an easy explanation:

"No Mam/Sir, this doesn't work without a Playstation 5. You need a PS5 too, or else this is nothing but an expensive shelf item."

Just got to the part of the IGN video where they explain PlayStation Portal doesn’t have Bluetooth so you’ll have to buy an all new headset compatible with PlayStation Link.

Wouldn’t be a portable (adjacent) Sony device without some easily avoidable self-inflicted wound. 🤷‍♀️

I mean, sometimes my wife is watching her series on the TV and I want to play on the PS5, but even then, a situation like that is rare enough for me to even consider paying €220 to be able to play in another room within our flat.

Having said that, Sony must have done their research and there's probably a crowd for this.

Sony released the ps vita. They just don't quite get what works and doesn't in the handheld market.

I spent less than this on a vita and that could do way more than streaming (ps4 games, at the time).

Good luck Sony, I expect this will be in bargain bins in short order.

Last edited:
I think it's neat ¯\(ツ)

Like it's a bit stupid looking, but so is the PS5 lol. The main issue for me was always gonna be its price, but $200 seems reasonable

do we know if this relies on internet connection or bypasses it to stream directly from console to… thing?

like is this a Wii U or is it straight up remote play?

I don’t have a PS5 and I don’t really want this, but I was very excited to use remote play on my PS4… and it works like shit, even on a new phone and wired ethernet

with top-line internet for a major Canadian city (aka expensive and not very good)

don’t get me wrong I was always about the Wii U concept

it just kinda didn’t do it for most people

and am I having a stroke or did they announce this as the Q

Just got to the part of the IGN video where they explain PlayStation Portal doesn’t have Bluetooth so you’ll have to buy an all new headset compatible with PlayStation Link.

Wouldn’t be a portable (adjacent) Sony device without some easily avoidable self-inflicted wound. 🤷‍♀️
god that's stupid

One of the best parts of international forums, learning these nifty new words

It shall henceforth become part of my vocabulary, thanks Playstation Portal

It's insane that they thought this was a moneymaking idea

Verschlimmbessert indeed

The german languague is like TotK's Fuse and Ultrahand. A big playground, with seemingly no limits to what words you can connect.

Unlike the PSP 2023 .... that has a limit on how you connect it.

and am I having a stroke or did they announce this as the Q
That was its code name. Why companies keep announcing code names I'll never know. I guess Sony is lucky the naming scheme for its home consoles is so obvious lol

But yes, I agree with your other point: the success of this will largely depend on performance, and PS4 remote play sucks ass even with decent internet

do we know if this relies on internet connection or bypasses it to stream directly from console to… thing?

like is this a Wii U or is it straight up remote play?

I don’t have a PS5 and I don’t really want this, but I was very excited to use remote play on my PS4… and it works like shit, even on a new phone and wired ethernet

with top-line internet for a major Canadian city (aka expensive and not very good)

It's remote play only, from what I can gather.
**Requires broadband internet Wi-Fi with at least 5Mbps for use. For a better play experience, a high-speed connection of at least 15Mbps is recommended.

I used PS4 remote play on PS Vita, and I also remember it being pretty... shit. Granted, internet has become better since then, but still.

I'm certain there exists a problem within the PS5 community that this device solves. I'm not so certain if said problem is worth $200 to those people having it

It's likes Wii U gamepad, need PS5 console to function. So if you outside the house, you can't use it, it's can't use cloud streaming. Expensive $200 accessories likes PSVR2 $550

My impressions of PS Remote Play are that it chugs quite a bit at times and I've got a really fast connection.

Would this suffer the same thing unlike a phone/laptop because it's designed more around the service?

Something like the Wii U Gamepad where the system and handheld are directly linked would be better.

Back
Top Bottom