• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Sony Announces the Playstation Portal; a Remote Play-oriented Handheld; 199.99 USD | 219.99 EURO | 199.99 GBP | 29,980 YEN

You absolutely can use it outside of the house. That's the whole point of remote play / wifi. The only caveat is how strong your signal is if you are using free public wifi or like a hotel.
It's will be lagging using internet 100km or 1,000km from your house. And you still need a PS5 to use remote play outside. Gamers that didn't buy a PS5 can't use this Portal.

I really don't get this.

The PR in the OP positions it as a Wii U gamepad but it uses Wi-Fi so will inevitably have more latency and various graphical artefacts that the Wii U gamepad never did. Additionally the entire system was £250 Vs £700 for this. I know the Wii U did trash but still.

The official app allows me to stream over Wi-Fi on my phone (with an attachable controller) or any Android device while Chiaki allows me to do the same on Steam Deck and apparently even Switch and all those devices also do other things natively.

PS Vita did this for PS4 but also ran games for only a few quid more.

Can you even use other streaming services like that Logitech thing?

I really don't get this.

The PR in the OP positions it as a Wii U gamepad but it uses Wi-Fi so will inevitably have more latency and various graphical artefacts that the Wii U gamepad never did. Additionally the entire system was £250 Vs £700 for this. I know the Wii U did trash but still.

The official app allows me to stream over Wi-Fi on my phone (with an attachable controller) or any Android device while Chiaki allows me to do the same on Steam Deck and apparently even Switch and all those devices also do other things natively.

PS Vita did this for PS4 but also ran games for only a few quid more.

Can you even use other streaming services like that Logitech thing?

I think you can play over local network right? If so a good Wifi would be enough for the required bandwidth and a couple of milliseconds latency.
Wii U was indeed fine. Only thing that bothered me was the pixelated reds due to the encoding.

EDIT: I saw an era post of someone mentioning there's a PS Link feature that works like the Wii U when near the console.

Last edited:
Well, it'll be interesting to see the inevitable Digital Foundry video breaking it down but aside from that...

no-thanks-no-thank-you.gif

What else (that costs money) would they need to add to support it?
I don't think anything would be needed on the hardware side of things and I'm not sure anything substantial would need to be done to have the Portal acknowledged as a supported device for the service either, but I could easily be wrong on both fronts. I'm just assuming that Sony views that having the feature would inherently make the device worth more than $200, and they don't think that bumping the price up to match that perceived value would be worth it.

They should just release a dedicated handheld. I understand why they won’t but I feel a dedicated handheld has as much chance at succeeding as this. 🤷🏾‍♂️
the purpose of this device is to serve some niche companion market, not he handheld market

if Sony did a handheld they'd have to relocate dev resources in making games for it, even if it is just a PS4 mini with BC

there is a reason why Nintendo merged their two divisions

Sony isn't going to do that, they are a traditional console manufacturer first and foremost, especially since they are the leading one in that regard for the industry

unless they spawn a dozen more studios dedicated to that cause, it isn't happening

They should just release a dedicated handheld. I understand why they won’t but I feel a dedicated handheld has as much chance at succeeding as this. 🤷🏾‍♂️
No, they shouldn’t. I love handhelds but the opportunity cost of releasing a dedicated handheld, apart from it’s own product development etc, includes ordering your studios to make a seperate range of first-party games for it, and convincing your third-party partners to make games for it, and doing so for several years. That’s a huge amount of resources that then aren’t supporting the PS5, which is exactly why Nintendo concluded it could no longer support two seperate hardware/software lineups. As opposed to what this is, which is a one-and-done accessory that can be quickly abandoned if it doesn’t hit its targets.

I might actually be interested in this. I use remote play with my phone pretty often and my biggest complaint has always been the small screen size

The PR in the OP positions it as a Wii U gamepad but it uses Wi-Fi so will inevitably have more latency and various graphical artefacts that the Wii U gamepad never did.
The GamePad was built on tech pretty similar to Wi-Fi, and routing packets through a router or network switch generally adds very, very little latency (<1ms). The only somewhat significant latency being added here is the fact that it's being wirelessly transmitted twice - assuming your PS5 isn't wired.

The GamePad also could start to present artifacts at times, I've seen it: it just was way more common for either a poor connection overlay to show up or the connection to stop outright first. But the secret sauce it had that the Portal doesn't wasn't a direct connection, it was only being 480p. This is looking to push 5x the pixels at the same frame rate. That matters way more than the difference in how the data is being transmitted.

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever want Sony or Nintendo to have to split their dev resources between 2 consoles every again. Obviously with this we get drawbacks for Nintendo's home gaming capabilities and Sony's portable gaming capabilities, but it's better than the alternative IMO.

The GamePad also could start to present artifacts at times, I've seen it: it just was way more common for either a poor connection overlay to show up or the connection to stop outright first.
It could but when I used it that only happened if you were quite far away and had a solid wall between the two but with PS remote play even with a wired connection if I turn too fast in many games it was just unacceptably bad. Perhaps it's got better since though?
EDIT: I saw an era post of someone mentioning there's a PS Link feature that works like the Wii U when near the console.
I thought that was only for audio?

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever want Sony or Nintendo to have to split their dev resources between 2 consoles every again. Obviously with this we get drawbacks for Nintendo's home gaming capabilities and Sony's portable gaming capabilities, but it's better than the alternative IMO.
Yeah instead you buy Nintendo for the handheld itch and PlayStation for that traditional console one,

They complement each other if you have both.

It could but when I used it that only happened if you were quite far away and had a solid wall between the two but with PS remote play even with a wired connection if I turn too fast in many games it was just unacceptably bad. Perhaps it's got better since though?

I thought that was only for audio?
Information is quite strange tbh. The IGN and CNET video today had conflicting information about some of the features. I think it would be better to wait for confirmation.

I don't know why people who were never interested in this device are getting themselves in a tizzy over it. I get it's fun to shit on bad things but some of y'all are feigning genuine concern. Yeah it looks bad to me but it's clearly being marketed for a smaller more enthusiast portion of the PS5 pie. Given that almost none of this is a deal-breaker, except maybe the headset. Especially the arguments where we make up fake parents and kids to be disappointed by the product, lol. Sony doesn't give enough of a shit about the portable space to market this to have a sizeable portion of that demographic in the first place.

Maybe people are mad that we could be getting something cool and we're getting this lazy anti consumer garbage instead. I'd certainly be interested in the concept if the product was actually worth my time.

The reality was that "quite far away" wasn't consistent and depended heavily on your environment. I've used the Wii U a few times in recent years, and its range and reliability has noticeably shrunk compared to when it was current - presumably due to the rise of 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks (that have only gotten more powerful and higher throughput) interfering. Even when it was current, the Wii U at my friend's place in a higher income neighborhood with more spaced out houses had much better range than mine. And I know some had it worse than me; it was especially rough in apartments, which tend to cluster a bunch of networks in a small space.

Nowadays I'm lucky if I can get through an hour session with my console in direct line of sight of the controller less than 10 feet away without the connection dropping at some point. It was never like that before, but it is now - and it's the same with my other friends that own Wii Us.

I can't personally speak to Remote Play. Maybe it has gotten better, maybe your environment wasn't ideal to start, who knows. But I feel that direct wireless has become less viable in the last decade, not more. Even if you went with something like 6 GHz, that has less range to start - and it'll just hit the same problems as Wi-Fi 6E becomes more widely adopted.

I'm curious - when you say wired, is that end to end? PS wired, phone wireless? Going through the Internet at all?

Maybe people are mad that we could be getting something cool and we're getting this lazy anti consumer garbage instead. I'd certainly be interested in the concept if the product was actually worth my time.
How is it anti-consumer? The only aspect of the PlayStation Portal I feel falls under that is the wireless audio option that's restricted to a new piece of proprietary technology.

It's like all of the features Sony wanted to keep from the PSP without the hassle of performing a charade of support for the system!

If I played more Sony exclusives/didn't have a gaming PC I may have got this. But I'm not fighting for the TV or playing enough PS5 games for this to warrant a purchase, but this seems to be for families/those with limited screens. Of course there will be the obligatory market for the insane train commuters of Japan and Europe bringing their whole setup aboard.

the leaked factory photos showed that the internal OS is built off of Android (the photos show a stock version, but it sounds like it's been modified to disable everything except the ability to use Remote Play on the final hardware.)

so in theory you should be able to root it and run other applications, but who knows how much internal storage this thing has?

This isn't a Wii U Game Pad because this actually has more than three games that people want to play.

The reality was that "quite far away" wasn't consistent and depended heavily on your environment. I've used the Wii U a few times in recent years, and its range and reliability has noticeably shrunk compared to when it was current - presumably due to the rise of 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks (that have only gotten more powerful and higher throughput) interfering. Even when it was current, the Wii U at my friend's place in a higher income neighborhood with more spaced out houses had much better range than mine. And I know some had it worse than me; it was especially rough in apartments, which tend to cluster a bunch of networks in a small space.

Nowadays I'm lucky if I can get through an hour session with my console in direct line of sight of the controller less than 10 feet away without the connection dropping at some point. It was never like that before, but it is now - and it's the same with my other friends that own Wii Us.

I can't personally speak to Remote Play. Maybe it has gotten better, maybe your environment wasn't ideal to start, who knows. But I feel that direct wireless has become less viable in the last decade, not more. Even if you went with something like 6 GHz, that has less range to start - and it'll just hit the same problems as Wi-Fi 6E becomes more widely adopted.

I'm curious - when you say wired, is that end to end? PS wired, phone wireless? Going through the Internet at all?
Guess I'm lucky, despite living in a block of flats I can to this day get perfect signal to the gamepad from one side of the flat to the other (~25 feet) as long as I don't place the gamepad behind the only solid internal wall. Perhaps there aren't many 5ghz networks near me then.

PS4 was connected to a switch connected to the router. I tried on a Vita and a phone wireless and a pc wired connected directly to the router. The PC was easily best but it still wasn't good enough at all. Had wanted to play Persona 5 in bed in the morning but it was just too distracting anytime I made any kind of turn that wasn't slow as hell.

I don't know why people who were never interested in this device are getting themselves in a tizzy over it. I get it's fun to shit on bad things but some of y'all are feigning genuine concern. Yeah it looks bad to me but it's clearly being marketed for a smaller more enthusiast portion of the PS5 pie. Given that almost none of this is a deal-breaker, except maybe the headset. Especially the arguments where we make up fake parents and kids to be disappointed by the product, lol. Sony doesn't give enough of a shit about the portable space to market this to have a sizeable portion of that demographic in the first place.
It's console wars.

This forum is well known for hating everything Sony. Making anyone that even likes Sony not welcome here

Trust me. I don't feel attacked over it.
It's mostly cringe inducing reading some of the posts.

But after the FFXVI threads, maybe is expected

You've made a bunch of posts really trying to make it the case that people hate Sony on this board, when that's not the case in any sense and it's something that you've completely imagined. You've made it clear that you absolutely do feel 'attacked over it', if you want to put it that way.

If you want to conflate refusal to praise them for clearly poorly planned ideas like this expensive handheld that doesn't even support cloud streaming, as hating Sony and anyone that uses their products, which is a ton of us here, that's your problem, not ours.

You've made a bunch of posts really trying to make it the case that people hate Sony on this board, when that's not the case in any sense and it's something that you've completely imagined. You've made it clear that you absolutely do feel 'attacked over it', if you want to put it that way.

If you want to conflate refusal to praise them for clearly poorly planned ideas like this expensive handheld that doesn't even support cloud streaming, as hating Sony and anyone that uses their products, which is a ton of us here, that's your problem, not ours.
But I don't feel attacked. In fact I prefer Nintendo over sony.

I just find console wars trully pathetic. And this is a device that is easy to ignore.
Does one function that appeals to just one subsection of the market. And Sony knowns that. That is absolutly nothing here to be pissy about.

In fact Sony already offers Cloud streaming to your phone, with a free app. That is even easier to use that Nintendo convoluted phone app.

It's price according to what offers.

This thread is getting entirely too heated for something like this. If only Sony were this passionate about handheld gaming...

I will definitely get one when it's on sale, but still not allowing Bluetooth headphones "because the lag ruins the player experience" while selling a device dedicated to remote play is pretty funny. And also no cloud gaming (presumably so people wouldn't use the Portal without owning a PS5, but they could've found workarounds to this) is a joke. The PS5 is a great system, maybe their best since the PS2, but the anti-consumer stuff from Sony this gen is on par with the worst Nintendo years. They really should update their slogan

Capture-d-cran-2023-08-24-10-22-53.png

I find it pointless but I actually really like the design, probably unpopular decision. It looks incredibly comfortable to hold. Definitely a niche market but seems like a decent product.

It's console wars.

This forum is well known for hating everything Sony. Making anyone that even likes Sony not welcome here
More like retaliation.

I'm seeing a lot of flack thrown at this in social media and other communities, and then there's the Nintendo community who lived through the Wii U era seeing the sony fandom throwing shit at the Wii U, just to find out, years later, that Sony is releasing a 200 € Wii U gamepad.

More like retaliation.

I'm seeing a lot of flack thrown at this in social media and other communities, and then there's the Nintendo community who lived through the Wii U era seeing the sony fandom throwing shit at the Wii U, just to find out, years later, that Sony is releasing a 200 € Wii U gamepad.
To be fair, ‘retaliating’ against perceived hypocrisy by a generalised, homogenous idea of what the ‘other’ fanbase is a decade later, over games consoles, feels a bit silly.

More like retaliation.

Wii U gamepad coudn't be used outside the house.

Also that is weird to have a some pettiness over a niche product that will appeal to like 5% of the fanbase. Wii U gamepad was mandatory to play the console.

Also unrelated, but I always loved the Wii U. Way way way more than the Wii. And Miiverse on Wii U was some of the best thing Nintendo ever done

This is a very weird thread to do console warring over.

If anything, you'd think these news should help all of us bond together. Sony fans will finally get what the WiiU was about, Nintendo fans will be able to share their sage advice as to how to get that perfect reception from the toilet seat.

To be fair, ‘retaliating’ against perceived hypocrisy by a generalised, homogenous idea of what the ‘other’ fanbase is a decade later, over games consoles, feels a bit silly.
Never said the opposite. Offering an explanation doesn't mean endorsing it.

Wii U gamepad coudn't be used outside the house.
Let's be honest for a second

It's a 8" screen with a split dualsense attached on the sides, and on top of that it isn't exactly cheap nor does it looks particularly solid.

As a hard remote user, i wouldn't be taking that out of my house, and don't get me started on what playing youir PS5 remotely from outside your local network feels like. Even Story of Seasons is uncomfortable.

Also that is weird to have a some pettiness over a niche product that will appeal to like 5% of the fanbase.
Agree, but it is what it is.

As a hard remote user, i wouldn't be taking that out of my house, and don't get me started on what playing youir PS5 remotely from outside your local network feels like. Even Story of Seasons is uncomfortable.
I actually think their other option they offer is better. The could streaming to mobile, with backbone controlers. The app is easy to instal, and works well. But is possible that I have a good net that helps the experience.

This Portal is not for me, just like the Edge, or the Labo or Kinect.

Just not going to be upset over something that doesn't personally appeal to me.

Last edited:
I actually think their other option they offer is better. The could streaming to mobile, with backbone controlers. The app is easy to instal, and works well. But is possible that I have a good net that helps the experience.
This is what i do, just with a Kishi and the PSRemote unofficial app. It lacks the impulse triggers but plays nice otherwise

Just not going to be upset over something that doesn't personally doesn't appeal to me.

Agreed. If anything, i'm upset by how unsony the Portal looks. I'm not happy with how they half-ass anything related to remote and cloud. I'm a Premium payer, dammit! Let me play cloud from my phone!

If can use PS Portal without PS5, yes I'm in but it's need PS5 to function. I'm handheld person, I loved my Switch Lite

You know, actually having a price on this thing reminds me that we never got the price of just a Wii U GamePad. I remember an early statement that the Wii U could support two GamePads at one time (at 30fps? I think?), and that Nintendo might sell them standalone down the road.

I wonder what a dual-GamePad game would've been like.

Sony fans will finally get what the WiiU was about
IMO, the Wii U was more about the dual screen stuff, but I think I've come to accept I'm in the minority on that. Even interviews on how the concept came about mention feeling TVs were getting too sluggish to turn on, and wanting to untether the console from the TV to help just get into the game faster - which is utterly hilarious in retrospect, given how sluggish the Wii U itself was.

(Yes, I recognize your post was not serious lol)

IMO, the Wii U was more about the dual screen stuff, but I think I've come to accept I'm in the minority on that. Even interviews on how the concept came about mention feeling TVs were getting too sluggish to turn on, and wanting to untether the console from the TV to help just get into the game faster - which is utterly hilarious in retrospect, given how sluggish the Wii U itself was.

(Yes, I recognize your post was not serious lol)

That honestly was also part of the not seriousness, lol.

The WiiU concept was definitely about dual screen play. The execution however wasn't quite there, and despite some outstanding games like Splatoon or Nintendoland, the reality is that most of the catalog ended up being single screen games with an off TV mode.

Even a lot of the games that actually used both screens also supported single screen play and off TV play, which kinda dilutes the value of the dual screen implementation, too.

So, to a degree, yeah, this thing is gonna be what the actual WiiU experience turned out to be in the end.

Back
Top Bottom