• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Sonic X Shadow Generations announced for PC and consoles (UPDATE: coming October 25th)

Little look at Radical Highway from the background of the JP site:

It's specifically described as being like Frontiers in the store description:

Thanks, I'm reading the PS Blog now as well.

I missed a good chunk of SGF so I'm catching up by a lot lol

So currently, the following stages are confirmed:
  • Radical Highway (Adventure 2)
  • Final Chase (Adventure 2)
  • Rail Canyon / Bullet Station (Heroes)
  • Kingdom Valley ('06)
Plus Biolizard from Adventure 2 as a confirmed boss as well.

I’m still very curious about the structure of the game… What I don’t understand is how the game appears to start at Final Chase, with Radical Highway seemingly coming after that. So I really wonder how they’re gonna make sense of the order everything will be in, and what that order will be…

So currently, the following stages are confirmed:
  • Radical Highway (Adventure 2)
  • Final Chase (Adventure 2)
  • Rail Canyon / Bullet Station (Heroes)
  • Kingdom Valley ('06)
Plus Biolizard from Adventure 2 as a confirmed boss as well.

I’m still very curious about the structure of the game… What I don’t understand is how the game appears to start at Final Chase, with Radical Highway seemingly coming after that. So I really wonder how they’re gonna make sense of the order everything will be in, and what that order will be…

Starting with Final Chase makes sense to me. It's a story about Shadow's past, and while Radical Highway was his first stage for players his life didn't begin there, it began on the Ark.

Also, based on trailer metadata, the Heroes stage is taking the Rail Canyon name; definitely going to mix elements of both like Seaside Hill in the original though. Same filename also implies Shadow's stages have multiple acts.

yJDDt12.jpeg

I don't know what it is but I can always tell 30 vs. 60 but my eyes just aren't working right now.
It might be because it appears to be running at an unlocked 60fps. With YouTube videos, you can progress frame-by-frame, and this video was encoded at 720p60fps. Examining things a bit, sometimes every frame is unique (60fps), while other times frames persist for two frames (as it would in a 30fps video encoded at 60fps).

If it's running at 720p and an unstable 60fps, I might once again wait for a Switch 2 version. It'll probably depend on how downgraded the graphics are compared to the other versions.

Uhh...I do not like this. I buy Sonic on PC or Nintendo typically. Sony bought exclusivity rights to something? I wonder how significant this is.

EDIT: Looks like PlayStation Blog confirms this as well:

Exclusive to PlayStation, players who buy the game on PS4 or PS5 will also receive bonus extended prologue animations with never-before-seen deleted scenes.

EDIT 2: Thinking more about it, this exclusive doesn't seem very significant. I still would prefer that exclusives like this when they don't involve a platform holder's IP (like Shovel Knight's) were paid DLC or eventually released for free on other platforms.

Last edited:
Starting with Final Chase makes sense to me. It's a story about Shadow's past, and while Radical Highway was his first stage for players his life didn't begin there, it began on the Ark.

Also, based on trailer metadata, the Heroes stage is taking the Rail Canyon name; definitely going to mix elements of both like Seaside Hill in the original though. Same filename also implies Shadow's stages have multiple acts.

yJDDt12.jpeg
Well the thing is that I believe the implication is that Shadow Generations picks up from immediately after the Sonic vs. Shadow battle in Sonic Generations but from Shadow’s perspective, so it would be the ARK in SA2’s present, not Shadow’s past. But I suppose this is White Space and the Time Eater (or Black Doom?) could be making things all wibbly wobbly, timey wimey, lol.

I guess if we’re getting (at least) two stages from each game, here are my updated predictions:

Sonic Adventure 2​

• Stage 1: Radical Highway
  • Stage 2: Final Chase
  • Rival: Sonic
  • Boss: Biolizard

Sonic Heroes / Sonic Battle​

• Stage 1: Rail Canyon
  • Stage 2: Egg Fleet
  • Rival: Emerl
  • Boss: Egg Emperor

Shadow the Hedgehog​

• Stage 1: Westopolis
  • Stage 2: The Last Way
  • Rival: Doom’s Eye
  • Boss: Black Doom

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)​

• Stage 1: White Acropolis
  • Stage 2: Kingdom Valley
  • Rival: Silver
  • Boss: Mephiles

Final Boss:​

Devil Doom + Mephiles / Time Eater

I’m not super confident about the rivals (plus we don’t exactly have rivals confirmed yet, anyway), and I dunno how they’d make sense of repeating the Sonic vs. Shadow battle again…unless this one is the Green Forest / White Jungle battle instead. But still, how would that work when that never happens from Sonic’s perspective? And poor Silver, getting dragged into White Space to have to battle both Sonic and Shadow, and not getting to have a “Silver Generations” adventure of his own, lol.

It might be because it appears to be running at an unlocked 60fps. With YouTube videos, you can progress frame-by-frame, and this video was encoded at 720p60fps. Examining things a bit, sometimes every frame is unique (60fps), while other times frames persist for two frames (as it would in a 30fps video encoded at 60fps).

If it's running at 720p and an unstable 60fps, I might once again wait for a Switch 2 version. It'll probably depend on how downgraded the graphics are compared to the other versions.

Uhh...I do not like this. I buy Sonic on PC or Nintendo typically. Sony bought exclusivity rights to something? I wonder how significant this is.

It most definitely looks on par with the other versions, so I'm not worried there.

Space Colony ARK Act 1 tells me that they're probably going for a mix of a bunch of different levels that take place on the ARK, which is quite a bit between SA2 and ShTH. Excited to see some full footage, glad we won't have to resort to weird off camera footage around tactically placed bushes.

Space Colony ARK Act 1 tells me that they're probably going for a mix of a bunch of different levels that take place on the ARK, which is quite a bit between SA2 and ShTH. Excited to see some full footage, glad we won't have to resort to weird off camera footage around tactically placed bushes.
the levels looks to be a mix like Sonic. SA2, SH, StH, Sonic 06 are all represented

the levels looks to be a mix like Sonic. SA2, SH, StH, Sonic 06 are all represented
No, what he means is that the name “Space Colony ARK: Act 1” (assuming that is indeed the actual name of the stage) suggests that this stage isn’t specifically Final Chase from SA2 as everyone had assumed, but rather some amalgamation of stages featuring the ARK from both Adventure 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog. Which would make sense if it is the prologue stage as seems to be implied! But then that brings back into question whether or not each game will have more than just one stage representing it, assuming Space Colony ARK is a special case and doesn’t count as either a SA2 or ShtH stage…

Yes, but I was talking about "Space Colony ARK", which has not specifically been used as a level name before, despite there being a ton of levels on the ARK. I'd imagine this means they're combining the ARK levels kinda like how Generations combined Seaside Hill and Ocean Palace, or how Green Hill took a few setpieces from Emerald Hill. I'd imagine some of the acts are mostly outside like Final Chase, Final Rush, Space Gadget, The ARK, and some acts are mostly inside like Eternal Engine, Crazy Gadget, and Lost Impact. (Man there's a lot very similar names here lol)

Wouldn't be surprised if Radical Highway was fused with Westopolis, like what they did for the Sonic Forces remix.

Last edited:
peak peak peak peak peak peak peak peak peak peak peak peak peak peak peak peak peak peak peak peak peak
eafc35a5f0d0094b90fc2553ae48e6dae008788a.jpg

at least it looks like something you can just watch on YouTube instead of an exclusive level or mission like other Sony deals

Okay, so it appears it is a specific stage from Shadow the Hedgehog after all—The ARK (not “Space Colony ARK”)! At least going by the music, which is explicitly an arrangement of the music for The ARK from ShtH rather than the original version of the song for Final Rush from SA2 (plus it wouldn’t make sense for it to be Final Rush instead of The ARK since the former was a Sonic stage).

Okay, so my original theory from awhile back that the game starts with a Shadow the Hedgehog stage seems to be correct after all! The question still remains, though…will there be more than one stage per game? I really hope so, but based on the demo it seems that The ARK transitions straight to Radical Highway and then the Biolizard battle, leaving no room for a second SA2 stage (which would have to be White Jungle, right??), though I suppose this could just be a demo thing and White Jungle will slot in between there in the final game.

Another weird thing, though, is that The ARK is a present-time ARK stage from ShtH, not one set in the past, which I assumed would be the case if we’re starting with an ARK stage from ShtH…

Okay, so it appears it is a specific stage from Shadow the Hedgehog after all—The ARK (not “Space Colony ARK”)! At least going by the music, which is explicitly an arrangement of the music for The ARK from ShtH rather than the original version of the song for Final Rush from SA2 (plus it wouldn’t make sense for it to be Final Rush instead of The ARK since the former was a Sonic stage).

Okay, so my original theory from awhile back that the game starts with a Shadow the Hedgehog stage seems to be correct after all! The question still remains, though…will there be more than one stage per game? I really hope so, but based on the demo it seems that The ARK transitions straight to Radical Highway and then the Biolizard battle, leaving no room for a second SA2 stage (which would have to be White Jungle, right??), though I suppose this could just be a demo thing and White Jungle will slot in between there in the final game.

Another weird thing, though, is that The ARK is a present-time ARK stage from ShtH, not one set in the past, which I assumed would be the case if we’re starting with an ARK stage from ShtH…
It does appear to still take some gimmicks from other ARK stages, like gravity things from Crazy Gadget and probably some other stages cause there's so many that they blend together. Plus it's not a shmup like The ARK (the level) in ShTH. I think they just used the music cause it's really good.

Also Final Chase exists which is basically Final Rush but for Shadow, so they could have used that name, ignoring that Generations 3DS got Radical Highway for Sonic.

Quoted by: Tye
A little interesting though that there seems to be a bit of reused music. The Biolizard fight starts with the Generations 3DS remix, but then turns into a brand new remix later in the footage that sounds more like Frontiers' guitar tracks. Space Colony ARK also uses The ARK theme directly lifted from ShTH. I guess it could just be jukebox in that case, or maybe the music's placeholder or something, like what happened with Sonic Superstars' initial previews using Sonic 4 music.
The Radical Highway remix also sounds different than the one in the SGF trailer, which sounds like a remix of Radical Highway Act 2 from Generations 3DS but less, uh, bad. That one's probably just cause of multiple acts though, but they did seem to update one of the 3DS tracks so it caught me a little off guard to just hear the 3DS version of Supporting Me.

The game looks great, especially the new content. I'm actually surprised I'm excited about a Sonic game.

It does appear to still take some gimmicks from other ARK stages, like gravity things from Crazy Gadget and probably some other stages cause there's so many that they blend together. Plus it's not a shmup like The ARK (the level) in ShTH. I think they just used the music cause it's really good.

Also Final Chase exists which is basically Final Rush but for Shadow, so they could have used that name, ignoring that Generations 3DS got Radical Highway for Sonic.
A little interesting though that there seems to be a bit of reused music. The Biolizard fight starts with the Generations 3DS remix, but then turns into a brand new remix later in the footage that sounds more like Frontiers' guitar tracks. Space Colony ARK also uses The ARK theme directly lifted from ShTH. I guess it could just be jukebox in that case, or maybe the music's placeholder or something, like what happened with Sonic Superstars' initial previews using Sonic 4 music.
The Radical Highway remix also sounds different than the one in the SGF trailer, which sounds like a remix of Radical Highway Act 2 from Generations 3DS but less, uh, bad. That one's probably just cause of multiple acts though, but they did seem to update one of the 3DS tracks so it caught me a little off guard to just hear the 3DS version of Supporting Me.
Yeah, I suppose it could still be an amalgamation ARK stage, though in that case I’d expect the music to be a mix of multiple ARK stage themes, too. But like you said, it could just be a placeholder. (I thought it sounded extremely similar to the original song in ShtH but didn’t realize that it was literally the same song being used, lol.)

I also really like that we’re seeing content from the 3DS version being reused here! We’ve already got Radical Highway and Biolizard confirmed, too, so I’m pretty much expecting Egg Emperor to be the Heroes boss.

I do wonder—if music is being reused in the final game, or perhaps added to an in-game jukebox as you suggest—if we’ll be getting any of the Shadow songs from Forces, too. Either way, I really hope we get White Jungle and Westopolis in the game in some form!

Using the frontiers dlc and this game to continue to experiment and refine is so so smart

I’m impressed

I really hope the improvements to the frontiers formula are gonna be used in the sequel. The new abilities in frontiers were really only useful in combat, and even in combat they were pretty boring. The abilities in shadow are not only more interesting, but will actually be useful in traversal and platforming. That’s not even getting into how much better then game looks then frontiers, the (so far) really good level design, or how much more natural the world looks without all the pop in or floating islands

This video shows the (near) fully uninterupted Space Colony Ark Act 1 with the HUD visible. Turns out the Radical Highway portion is in fact a part of this single stage. Shadow's powers (at least Chaos Control, maybe the others will work differently) are seemingly tied to a meter, called the "Chaos Gauge" in the tutorial pop-ups (was pretty obvious even in the VGC footage but you can actually see where those particles are flying to here, lol).

Even with the extra cinematics (and the deaths in this playthrough), I think it's pretty notable that the S Rank time (the time loss required for "next rank" shown again like base Gens) for the tutorial level is already in the ballpark of 5 minutes. Gives hope for these acts being on the caliber of the original Generations boost stages and not Forces or Frontiers (while I like the Cyberspace stages added in the final update in terms of design, they were still relatively short).

I also notice there's a few unlockables on the results tally too. The Shadow emblem Doom's Eye drops seems to be the main collectible, but there's three other icons in a seperate box next to it (i'm going to assume representing concept art, music and cosmetics?). It seems the music is unlocked but I didn't notice any obvious collectible pickup during the stage, so perhaps these are unlocked based on performance / rank instead? Not quite sure.

ZF45zRy.png

This video shows the (near) fully uninterupted Space Colony Ark Act 1 with the HUD visible. Turns out the Radical Highway portion is in fact a part of this single stage. Shadow's powers (at least Chaos Control, maybe the others will work differently) are seemingly tied to a meter, called the "Chaos Gauge" in the tutorial pop-ups (was pretty obvious even in the VGC footage but you can actually see where those particles are flying to here, lol).

Even with the extra cinematics (and the deaths in this playthrough), I think it's pretty notable that the S Rank time (the time loss required for "next rank" shown again like base Gens) for the tutorial level is already in the ballpark of 5 minutes. Gives hope for these acts being on the caliber of the original Generations boost stages and not Forces or Frontiers (while I like the Cyberspace stages added in the final update in terms of design, they were still relatively short).

I also notice there's a few unlockables on the results tally too. The Shadow emblem Doom's Eye drops seems to be the main collectible, but there's three other icons in a seperate box next to it (i'm going to assume representing concept art, music and cosmetics?). It seems the music is unlocked but I didn't notice any obvious collectible pickup during the stage, so perhaps these are unlocked based on performance / rank instead? Not quite sure.

ZF45zRy.png

game looks extremely good, i'm curios how it'll run on the Switch?

Since if it's 720p/60 then i would be happy, if not then PC.

It's...just lovely.

And according to Sean Schemmel it isn't him reprising Black Doom despite re-auditioning for it. Whoever is doing it is doing a great approximation.

I'll probably end up double dipping on Switch and PC mostly because PC is my preferred way to play but I really want Gerald's journal, If the Shadow part doesn't run well, I'd be fine with Sonic Generations running on Switch about the same as PS3/360, just for playing it in bed.
I bet it will probably be a mostly fine 30fps, Frontiers was toned down on all platforms for Switch in mind but was 30, I can't see them leaving their largest playerbase too largely shafted.

The Shadow level is fucking RAD AS HELL OMG.

Did Sonic Team pull it off?
Probably helps that the scope of this project means they're focusing mostly on speed stages and not much else. Hard to say how long the new campaign will be. Personally, I've already bought Generations twice, so buying it a third time for $50 is a bit steep, but I'm sure it'll be on sale before long.

Sonic generation remaster genuinely looks fantastic, like i'm genuinely surprised.

I'm still at awed at how good the game looks.

ZF45zRy.png

Oh damn, the video is gone now… Any chance it was reuploaded anywhere??

So Radical Highway is part of the Space Colony ARK stage?? That’s cool…but it also worries me… I hope we still end up getting at least two stages per game and not just four single stages that represent multiple stages from each game…

Oh damn, the video is gone now… Any chance it was reuploaded anywhere??

So Radical Highway is part of the Space Colony ARK stage?? That’s cool…but it also worries me… I hope we still end up getting at least two stages per game and not just four single stages that represent multiple stages from each game…
Considering there's another remix of Radical Highway, and more footage from other Space Colony ARK stages, I'd imagine they're mostly separate aside from this act which looks like it will be the first act of the game, due to Shadow being confused by Black Doom and it telling you how to boost and jump and stuff. Though it does look like Black Doom does pop up in Rail Canyon to send you to presumably another zone, as the effect here looks similar to the reality warping stuff going on with Radical Highway. I feel like some acts will be a mix of 2 stages already in the game, and that they'll get their own standalone acts as well.
GPgXWgJXYAApSGy

oh man, the more I see of this, the more I want to play it. The new levels look great, and I love some of the new abilities being used with the level design.

Here's a different video of the full level; better playing than the original anyway lol.
Here's a different playthrough of the stage at least. Very chunky level.
Thanks! And nice, there are subtitles in this one, too!

So, uh…interesting. It looks like Shadow Generations may not take place concurrently with Sonic Generations after all? I mean, it’s hard to tell without more context, but the beginning of the stage seems like Shadow is, like, on a mission tracking something down on the ARK, which he later learns was Doom’s Eye. Doesn’t seem like there were any Time Eater shenanigans at play, and everything seemed normal until Doom’s Eye showed up. I wonder if this is supposed to take place post-Frontiers then? Maybe the reason Doom’s Eye was found on the ARK is because it wasn’t actually completely destroyed in Shadow the Hedgehog and has been left dormant in orbit all this time until now? Though something’s clearly up with the new time and space warping abilities, so perhaps that’s where Time Eater is involved somehow.

Also, I know this is incredibly unlikely, but I’m hoping against all odds that this somehow ends up being a “Silver Generations” DLC expansion for Sonic X Shadow Generations—if only because it would be a real possibility that they could finally fix the mess of continuity between Silver, Blaze, and Eggman Nega with something like that, lol.

Also, I know this is incredibly unlikely, but I’m hoping against all odds that this somehow ends up being a “Silver Generations” DLC expansion for Sonic X Shadow Generations—if only because it would be a real possibility that they could finally fix the mess of continuity between Silver, Blaze, and Eggman Nega with something like that, lol.

Personally I would much rather have a Blaze game to fix the "Future or Sol Dimension" stuff cause there's so much more you can do with the Sol Dimension, and she's cooler than Silver (even though both of them are some of my favourites). Silver gets a much easier excuse to show up in games and comics being from the future so they can just say his timeline is messed up again cause Eggman, but Blaze's last major appearance was Black Knight as Sir Percival due to her needing a much bigger excuse to leave being a princess of another dimension. Shadow and Silver at least got Forces. I'd love for her to be a major part of a Sonic story again.
Plus I'd just kill for another funky Sonic soundtrack.

Personally I would much rather have a Blaze game to fix the "Future or Sol Dimension" stuff cause there's so much more you can do with the Sol Dimension, and she's cooler than Silver (even though both of them are some of my favourites). Silver gets a much easier excuse to show up in games and comics being from the future so they can just say his timeline is messed up again cause Eggman, but Blaze's last major appearance was Black Knight as Sir Percival due to her needing a much bigger excuse to leave being a princess of another dimension. Shadow and Silver at least got Forces. I'd love for her to be a major part of a Sonic story again.
Plus I'd just kill for another funky Sonic soundtrack.
Realistically, anything trying to make sense of that would have to include both of them, anyway—plus Eggman Nega!—so just make it Silver X Blaze Generations, I guess! lol Then you’d at least have Sonic ’06, the Rush games, and the Rivals games to pull from, which are the only main series games where Silver and/or Blaze are actually playable.

But I know SEGA will never do it, so I’ll just have to live with my own headcanon, lol:
FhymZ3iVQAA1eKI

Also, while Silver got to be in Forces, at least Blaze was actually invited to Sonic’s birthday party in Sonic Generations, unlike Silver (I know it’s only because he was a rival in the game, but still, lol). If she can hop dimensions for a birthday party, why the hell doesn’t she visit more often?? She should have been in Forces, too! lol

Realistically, anything trying to make sense of that would have to include both of them, anyway—plus Eggman Nega!—so just make it Silver X Blaze Generations, I guess! lol Then you’d at least have Sonic ’06, the Rush games, and the Rivals games to pull from, which are the only main series games where Silver and/or Blaze are actually playable.

But I know SEGA will never do it, so I’ll just have to live with my own headcanon, lol:
FhymZ3iVQAA1eKI

Also, while Silver got to be in Forces, at least Blaze was actually invited to Sonic’s birthday party in Sonic Generations, unlike Silver (I know it’s only because he was a rival in the game, but still, lol). If she can hop dimensions for a birthday party, why the hell doesn’t she visit more often?? She should have been in Forces, too! lol
Having recently played 06, I thought it was pretty heavily implied that Blaze left for the world the Rush games takes place in and that’s where her more developed fire powers come from so that makes sense to me.

To be fair at least, leaving for a couple hours for a party (before getting sent to a place beyond time and space) is a lot more reasonable to leave for, than to join a war in another dimension that lasted several months. The comics have also largely followed this, with Blaze just very briefly visiting Sonic's dimension for a couple of days at most before she feels like she needs to get back.

Having recently played 06, I thought it was pretty heavily implied that Blaze left for the world the Rush games takes place in and that’s where her more developed fire powers come from so that makes sense to me.
Yeah, it seems clear that there was a connection intended between Rush and ’06. It’s not Blaze, but Eggman Nega who is the real mystery here, since he comes from either the Sol Dimension or Silver’s future depending on the game, but he doesn’t have the “reborn in a new dimension due to using their body as a vessel to seal away a god via Chaos Control” explanation that Blaze has, lol.

To be fair at least, leaving for a couple hours for a party (before getting sent to a place beyond time and space) is a lot more reasonable to leave for, than to join a war in another dimension that lasted several months. The comics have also largely followed this, with Blaze just very briefly visiting Sonic's dimension for a couple of days at most before she feels like she needs to get back.
Makes sense, I guess—she is essentially the Knuckles of her world, after all (but then Knuckles finds time to leave the Master Emerald all the time…lol). But also, isn’t it implied that Silver doesn’t even control his time travel himself, or even know how it happens at all? So in that sense I’d imagine Blaze can visit Sonic a lot easier than Silver can, even if it’s only briefly! I just wish they both appeared more often, even if it’s just for small cameos.

Too wild. Back when I played generation over ten years ago I wished it had a “third” gameplay mode to reflect early 3D Sonic, adventure era and such.

This is pretty damn close to that… and the adventure skin for the OG mode just seals the deal!

Too wild. Back when I played generation over ten years ago I wished it had a “third” gameplay mode to reflect early 3D Sonic, adventure era and such.

This is pretty damn close to that… and the adventure skin for the OG mode just seals the deal!
Yeah, I came to a similar conclusion when this game was revealed:

Because, when you think about it, Shadow really IS "Adventure!Sonic". While Sonic eventually moved on, Shadow, at his best, truly embodies everything about that era, from the increased emphasis on worldbuilding/lore, overall "darker and edgier" story telling, granting the central character more and interesting powers and abilities, and so forth.

It's like how Mega Man X will always specifically embody that "extreme 90s action anime" vibe.

I think there was an interview where they originally wanted to do "Dreamcast Sonic" as a third Sonic for the original release.

Yeah...this might actually be trying to live up to that!

Back
Top Bottom