• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Sonic Movie 3 - First official set photo with a peak at Shadow - releasing December 20, 2024

Considering how unimpressed I was by the first 2 movies, if this one doesn't start by what is essentially an exact recreation of the whole City escape sequence (with the appropriate music of course) then I don't even want to see it.
The second movie opened with an homage to the SA1 opening so I wouldn't put it past them

I need something more...............sakuga-esque if you know what I mean.
mmmmm yeah

yeah I think I get that. I'll admit the movie 2 opening, even thought I know what they were going for, still felt more like a fan film homage to the sequence than something as epic as the SA2 opening is. The SA2 opening is more like one of those really talented animators on social media going for fuckin broke on a passion project. Hits all the right moments, angles, everything. They could practically use the game as previs for the movie at that point. 😅

mmmmm yeah

yeah I think I get that. I'll admit the movie 2 opening, even thought I know what they were going for, still felt more like a fan film homage to the sequence than something as epic as the SA2 opening is. The SA2 opening is more like one of those really talented animators on social media going for fuckin broke on a passion project. Hits all the right moments, angles, everything. They could practically use the game as previs for the movie at that point. 😅
If they can nail that one scene, I'll happily remain quiet through all the unfunny wedding segments they want to add.

Okay now I'm officially bugged

The credits on the clapperboard are using the actual Sonic title font from the games

But the movie title logo doesn't

dafuq

Not the first time I've seen the production logos and movie logos differ that much.
MCU productions tend to do that, A LOT.
oh yeah when stuff is going from production to final I get that it changes, but I mean like, the Sonic logo was right there. But the movie side were just like "hey lets find the most generic sans-serif black font we can find and then just cut sonic's head out of the C to make it look neat" and they just went with it, despite the Sonic logo being in use relatively unchanged since 1991. They just.. didn't use it. For some reason. And the fact that the "right" fonts ended up on the clapperboard shows they're aware of what the franchise's iconic font is, they just didn't go with it. It's weird.

Unless there was some legal issue where they had to clearly differentiate the movie stuff from the game stuff, which may have been the case. For like merch or whatever. Still sucks.

Okay now I'm officially bugged

The credits on the clapperboard are using the actual Sonic title font from the games

But the movie title logo doesn't

dafuq

It's ultimately a meaningless detail, but I swear the way these movies fully embrace the source material, only to suddenly stop doing it at the same time.

This unpleasant feeling has always bugged me when I watched both films, especially the second one. It's like there are two opposing forces conducting these projects: One is delightful, while the other is aggravating.

It's like, imagine an alternate version of Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, where everything is the same, except sometimes there are Big bang theory-tier jokes shoehorned in the middle of the story, killing all the good vibes instantly.

I don't know if I'm making any sense, or anyone feels similarly, but that one detail made want to lay it out for once.

It's ultimately a meaningless detail, but I swear the way these movies fully embrace the source material, only to suddenly stop doing it at the same time.

This unpleasant feeling has always bugged me when I watched both films, especially the second one. It's like there are two opposing forces conducting these projects: One is delightful, while the other is aggravating.

It's like, imagine an alternate version of Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, where everything is the same, except sometimes there are Big bang theory-tier jokes shoehorned in the middle of the story, killing all the good vibes instantly.

I don't know if I'm making any sense, or anyone feels similarly, but that one detail made want to lay it out for once.
Oh I totally get what you mean. Granted SPTO had the benefit of being written by the original writer and someone who was a fan, so it had that wild effect of being "not what was expected, but exactly what it should be." The Sonic movies are built by some fans, but with huge studio oversight (seriously the story of how faithful the original script was before the studios whittled all the Sonicness out of it bugs), and then on top of that they have to deal with the expectations in ways SPTO sorta refused to.

I don't like it, but I try to be flexible enough to appreciate that those involved are trying to do what they can for the fans and the characters within the confines of the big studio expectations. So I take the little nuggets of faithfulness that are there and enjoy, even if it means sitting through a wedding. Because hey! They sorta found a way to have the wedding lead to Tails flying a red biplane! Which makes me so happy!! Plus the beachyness of it I think was supposed to be something of a reference to Emerald Coast.

It definitely does have the "two opposing forces" issue that you're talking about, but I think I just give it a pass because of why it has that. The guy who's directing is a fan, worked on Sonic games before, and he wanted the more faithful version from the beginning that the studio shaved down but at least he's still directing, rather than the studio just kicking him off and getting someone more their speed, and he is sneaking little details in where he can. Even the original cut of the first Sonic movie didn't have nuggets like the echidnas or the OG Green Hill or anything, and they put them in after the outcry alongside the Sonic model redesign.

So yeah, I don't disagree with you at all, and what you're saying makes perfect sense, I guess all I'm trying to say is:
it-could-have-been-worse-samuel-l-jackson-gif1.gif

Last edited:
I think it’s important to remember that at the end of the day these are family movies that need to cast the widest net possible. They need to have moments that sonic fans can enjoy and moments that a wide audience can laugh at without requiring much thought. It’s like when people were annoyed that Mario had license music. If you want these movies to get these sorts of large budgets and big treatment, they need to appeal to more than just fans of the games. Basically grandma needs to be able to see this movie with her gran kid without having a clue what Sonic is, and still have a great time.

I hate all these murmurs about "omg there's a trailer with this and that in it." This drip feed marketing for more marketing is so tiresome. Just drop the trailer!

I hate all these murmurs about "omg there's a trailer with this and that in it." This drip feed marketing for more marketing is so tiresome. Just drop the trailer!
I hate that they did the big behind-closed-doors showing but then also announced at the same event "but we're not ready to tell you who's voicing Shadow yet" so the word-of-mouth from the event can continue stirring that pot 😩

I am all of me intensifies
I am all of meme

This might sound super Nit picky. Dont get me wrong the sonic movies are good. But maybe im just so used to the uni eye sonic that the movies having sonics eyes being two eyballs instead of the uni eye will never look right to me. It feels like a very abridged sonic to me. Again this is just something that I care way to much about but idk something in my brain says its not right when I look at the sonic charectors in the movie.

But again When I watch the Mario movie the subtle changes they made to the design of the mario charecters bothers me to.

Im just weird I cant help it xD

WAIIIIT THERE ACKNOWLEDGING SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG (the game) IF THEY BRING BACK HIS MOTORCYCLE OMFG
The director Jeff Fowler literally got his start in the industry working on the cutscenes for Shadow the Hedgehog. He's talked before about how special the character is to him, blemishes and all. I've assumed for a while that that game would be referenced in some way, regardless of its reputation.

my uncle is john sega and he said shadow and eggman die in the first 5 minutes and zavok is the real villain

According to John Campea (movie journalist with industry connections), Keanu Reeves is playing Shadow The Hedgehog.

Now watch this.

Not sure I like it. I can see the vision but Shadow doesn't sound like a 40-50 years old. Bit too old imho (even if he technically is!). But maybe he can fit the profile?

Well I guess that explains why the Paramount guy who told John Campea at CinemaCon this info told him to hold off on talking about it until this week. I had just theorized a few minutes ago it was possibly because it would be officially announced this week heh

"Adios, John Wick the Hedgehog..."

But in all seriousness! It's not my personal top pick of Oscar Isaac, but I can see it. He may not exactly have a wide vocal range, but Bill and Ted Face the Music (2020) should be enough to show that Keanu can still play "comedic" just as much as he can be the stoic action hero of three different eras of cinema.

I didn't think I would say this, but I think the idealized portrayal of Shadow kinda needs both in order to be fully realized.

Couldn’t have asked for a better voice actor. Sonic sweep? Nah, get with the times old man, THE SHADOW SWEEP IS NIGH

One of the things I don't like about Shadow is the weirdly forced gruff villain voice he always has, like Chris Sabat's Vegeta, it's just so grating to me. But here we have a shot at fixing that, if Keanu literally just plays him with his own voice.

This has a chance to be so dang perfect for me ❤️

One of the things I don't like about Shadow is the weirdly forced gruff villain voice he always has, like Chris Sabat's Vegeta, it's just so grating to me. But here we have a shot at fixing that, if Keanu literally just plays him with his own voice.

When I read the headline I went 'Ohhh, perfection.'

This is amazing casting. Hayden Christiansen would have been fantastic as well, but god damn what an inspired choice

I’m so glad we live in a world where sonic movies and tv shows are killing it. I think im
More excited about that stuff than I am about the games these days. I haven’t been excited for a new Sonic game personally since unleashed
old but murder of sonic the hedgehog is a great time, best game since mania which was the best game since adventure 2...

I love being a sonic fan.

i hope to see more adventure style lore and story telling, but since the movie is for a wider audience i doubt it, the adventure games (and by extension 06) were weirdly dark in a goofy camp\y way which i think really works for modern sonic.

Would’ve agreed with this post, then you insulted Chris Sabat’s Vegi bacon :(

Would’ve agreed with this post, then you insulted Chris Sabat’s Vegi bacon :(
What can I say, I am a Horikawa devotee with Brian Drummond in my second place 🤷
Actually to be honest my favorite dub actor for Vegeta is Nick Landis but he's not official so 😅

Sabat’s Vegeta has gotten better over the years, but he’s never quite escaped the “hired to replace Brian Drummond with zero experience” start of his career.

If it’s anything like this, I’ll like Keanu’s Shadow just fine:

Sabat’s Vegeta has gotten better over the years, but he’s never quite escaped the “hired to replace Brian Drummond with zero experience” start of his career.

If it’s anything like this, I’ll like Keanu’s Shadow just fine:

I have been known on occasion to refer to Shadow as "Grimdark Vegetavoice The Hedgehog" and I gotta say it'll be so much easier on my thumbs to be able to just type "Johnwick The Hedgehog"

If Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) references are on the table, I hope they embrace the full edge. Make Shadow a memelord with no self awareness, just like how they make Knuckles a self serious goof. The whole nine yards, "Like stealing candy from a baby," etc. Hell, throw Obama in there chuckling over the chaos emeralds

If Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) references are on the table, I hope they embrace the full edge. Make Shadow a memelord with no self awareness, just like how they make Knuckles a self serious goof. The whole nine yards, "Like stealing candy from a baby," etc. Hell, throw Obama in there chuckling over the chaos emeralds
"I peed on Stone, Robotnik, he's mine now"

Get the snapcube guys in there to punch up the script 🤣

Honestly I kind of hope they play Shadow relatively straight in his “edgy children’s character” way rather than go “he uses guns isn’t that silly???” Just characterize him like in SA2 and I’ll be happy.

It's still gotta be a movie for a wider audience, too, but I definitely have been thinking that this time around, and further emboldened by how well Sonic 2 did, Fowler is definitely going to make something closer to what he wanted from the jump.

Looking forward to how both the Knuckles mini and this movie shape things up.

At this point I can only imagine it will be. At this point they've made two successful movies that are mainstream hits, and it's kinda hard to keep that level of accessibility going, so for the 3rd one they're just gonna go all out on the hardcore nonsense.

I also think, knowing the writing team. The spy thriller premise of SA2 is absolutely up their alley and they wanna embrace that.

I have two things to add to this thread:

• Idris Elba is maybe the most effortlessly handsome man I've ever seen and I trust anything that he says
  • Every time I see this thread bumped my mind reads it as "Scary Movie 3" for a split second and it always throws me for a bit of a loop

Is there gonna be more after this or are they putting it on ice for a while? Probably at the very least the last Robotnik-focused one, yeah?
I’m sure it’ll depend on the box office. It will be interesting to see how they pivot away from Carrey in future movies.

Back
Top Bottom