• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Sonic Movie 3 - First official set photo with a peak at Shadow - releasing December 20, 2024

We're one step closer to learning who is voicing Shadow! Shoes look alright.
I'm still pulling for Oscar Isaac. Similar to Idris Elba in that he's a recognizable, big name, while also has some voice acting chops to his credit.

And especially fresh off of Into the Spider-verse, he can definitely do a great antagonist, when he wants to.

This kind of joke flies in the face of the inclusive atmosphere that Famiboards promotes. For this, you are banned for one week. – Party Sklar, VolcanicDynamo, big lantern ghost, Tangerine Cookie
Damm two days away of finish NNN, soo close. :p

Bring it all!!! this gonna be sooo hype.

Head of Story and Producer on the movie

I saw the official movie account's post and my first thought was "but Shadow doesn't run, he skates" 🤣 Hesse continues to be my hero.

(Also, source on Hesse being Head of Story..?)

I'm still pulling for Oscar Isaac. Similar to Idris Elba in that he's a recognizable, big name, while also has some voice acting chops to his credit.

And especially fresh off of Into the Spider-verse, he can definitely do a great antagonist, when he wants to.
Plus he can give Shadow a great voice without just doing a breathy Funimation Vegeta impression 👀

(Also, source on Hesse being Head of Story..?)
I know he's actually co-producer on 2 and Producer on 3!
I think my brain played me because I seemed to remember he was Head of Story on 2 but he was in fact just a storyboard supervisor.

Last edited:
For anyone curious about the process of writing these movies (and some info on how they are going to tackle Shadow), The GHZ podcast (hosted by @Grant and some of his friends) made extensive interviews with Patrick Casey, one of the screenwriters and Tyson Hesse.

For anyone curious about the process of writing these movies (and some info on how they are going to tackle Shadow), The GHZ podcast (hosted by @Grant and some of his friends) made extensive interviews with Patrick Casey, one of the screenwriters and Tyson Hesse.

whooooooa excellent find, thanks! 😮

eagerly waiting to see what Nu-Metal track they use in the first trailer. maybe they'll also implement a Crush 40 song in the actual film this time?

I made a bet with my brother that I'd go see the Mario movie if Lanky Kong was in it. Now it's "I'll go see the third Sonic movie if they play I Am All of Me when Shadow shows up". This one somehow feels infinitely less likely, but maybe that means it will actually happen?

I loved Sonic games and cartoons as a kid, now as an adult I love the movies but don’t care for the games anymore lol. I got a Dreamcast for Christmas with Sonic and adventure and Sonic adventure 2, so those games are very nostalgic for me.

Last edited:
I like Sonic a lot, and I like Jim Carrey a lot, so I'm really sad that I don't like the films, especially the 2nd one. The first was passable, the second is really a disaster, and not just the odd half-hour devoted to the wedding. Good for them if it works, but Sonic deserves so much better, and Jim Carrey has so much better things to do with his talent than pay his bills in this kind of movie...

It's wasted talent in a product that I just wanted to love. I mean, for example, The Mario Movie isn't a great movie at all, but it at least does the job very well. Sonic 2 was painful for me to watch. Sonic has so much potential!

I like Sonic a lot, and I like Jim Carrey a lot, so I'm really sad that I don't like the films, especially the 2nd one. The first was passable, the second is really a disaster, and not just the odd half-hour devoted to the wedding. Good for them if it works, but Sonic deserves so much better, and Jim Carrey has so much better things to do with his talent than pay his bills in this kind of movie...

It's wasted talent in a product that I just wanted to love. I mean, for example, The Mario Movie isn't a great movie at all, but it at least does the job very well. Sonic 2 was painful for me to watch. Sonic has so much potential!
Jim Carrey is an actor that famously hates sequels, so for him to come back not once but twice does imply paying bills matter little here and he must love the character.

I'd also rather have something like Sonic than Mario because Mario had a rather subpar script, where with the Sonic movies you can tell somebody managed to get some meat in there.

Jim Carrey is an actor that famously hates sequels, so for him to come back not once but twice does imply paying bills matter little here and he must love the character.
Plus when there was only one movie out and a sequel wasn't guaranteed, Carrey said he was wanting sequels because it was one of the few times he felt he could build a bigger arc out of the character. He even said he was pushing the studio to let him go closer to the game version for the second time around, as he has played some of the games with his family and is familiar with Robotnik. There are even a couple spots where it sounds like he's doing a light Mike Pollock impression. And he said he was literally retiring from acting and wouldn't be doing any more movies unless they were projects he really cared about.

So I agree, Jim ain't just paying the bills here.

He also said he'd stop making movies after Sonic 2, I think. I hope Sonic 3 will be good, because at the moment, the quality of the Sonic movie scripts is perhaps the last thing on my mind, so lacking is it. But then again, all I'm asking for is a good surprise, and that would be great.

I enjoy these movies but they are obviously not great or anything. The Sonic characters are all pretty enjoyable, and it’ll be amusing to see them try to adapt the SA2 stuff to live action contrasted with the goofy PG comedy live action bits. I just want to know who is Shadow.

He also said he'd stop making movies after Sonic 2, I think. I hope Sonic 3 will be good, because at the moment, the quality of the Sonic movie scripts is perhaps the last thing on my mind, so lacking is it. But then again, all I'm asking for is a good surprise, and that would be great.
You're of course free to voice your disappointment of the movies and what you feel they lack.

For me, I'd take less cringe jokes and scrapping the human cast altogether (except maybe Tom I guess, feel he's kind of important to this version of the character).

I just want to know who is Shadow.
I dunno where the rumor came from that Hayden Christensen is playing him but the more I think about it the more I like it. Would be period correct at least!
and maybe it'd avoid someone just doing a Vegeta impression like in the games
or maybe they'll actually hire Chris Sabat so I can really hate the character

For me, I'd take less cringe jokes and scrapping the human cast altogether (except maybe Tom I guess, feel he's kind of important to this version of the character).
If single person from the human cast remains, it's gotta be Stone. At this point I would flip a table if Lee Majdoub is removed from the Sonic movies (and I would not be alone).

I enjoy these movies but they are obviously not great or anything. The Sonic characters are all pretty enjoyable, and it’ll be amusing to see them try to adapt the SA2 stuff to live action contrasted with the goofy PG comedy live action bits. I just want to know who is Shadow.
I agree they aren't great, but I feel they're above the passable mark. It felt great to have Tails, Knuckles and Sonic be represented with actually coherent and heartfelt character arcs. It felt great to see a heartfelt friendship materializing between Sonic and Tails. It felt great to see Knuckles as this formidable warrior with a strong sense of honor. I just want them to continue to do that, while maybe trying to get off the stuff that doesn't work. There's a tighter, closer to 100 minutes cut of Sonic 2, where the wedding subplot gets offed almost entirely, and the movie would be all the better for it.

I’m so glad we live in a world where sonic movies and tv shows are killing it. I think im
More excited about that stuff than I am about the games these days. I haven’t been excited for a new Sonic game personally since unleashed

I would laugh my ass off if they do a Shadow series and it ends up rated TV-MA for violence and profanity
Cold open, Shadow prevents a mugging in some alleyway, picks the gun off the ground, mugger says "wait you're not Sonic", Shadow executes him. As he walks away he looks over his shoulder and says "Fuck Sonic". Titles. Book it.

I wonder just how "implied" they're gonna have to make that scene 😂
I think a lot of people have Berenstained themselves and don't realize Maria doesn't actually get shot in SA2. That only happens in Shadow The Hedgehog. So whatever happens will probably be in line with SA2's depiction.

oh that's fucken hilarious :ROFLMAO:

I think a lot of people have Berenstained themselves and don't realize Maria doesn't actually get shot in SA2. That only happens in Shadow The Hedgehog. So whatever happens will probably be in line with SA2's depiction.
wait what..?

I never even played Shadow the Hedgehog and I remember Maria getting shot in SA2

Edit: okay, googled it. The gunshot is present in the Japanese SA2 but removed from the English version. So now I dunno what to expect from the movie.

mixaS0v.jpeg

I wouldn't get too excited about this movie. I heard some rumors of inappropriate behavior from one of the stars on set. Shadow keeps vaping in the faces of all his costars and claims it's "method acting."

I remember when Movie 3 wrapped up filming and there was this photo of the whole staff together. Wonder why we don't have that for this one?

Considering how unimpressed I was by the first 2 movies, if this one doesn't start by what is essentially an exact recreation of the whole City escape sequence (with the appropriate music of course) then I don't even want to see it.

Back
Top Bottom