• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Sonic Dream Team announced (Apple Arcade exclusive) - Available December 5th.

I don't think it was mediocre, but it was safe with gorgeous visuals + amazing music carrying it. The second part is pure unfiltered stuff that elevates to SaGa tier.
Wait, wouldn't comparing something to SaGa be an insult? Last I heard, that series wasn't well respected. But then again, that was 10 or 20 years ago.

My main problem with part 1 was that it was a pastiche of 90's JRPGs (especially Sakaguchi's) with some weird pacing and narrative issues. For example, the opening which starts off like the FFVII bombing run in the CGI, only to stop dead in it's tracks as soon as you get control of the player. Almost felt machine generated. And I was thinking that before chat GPT came out. On top of that, they never really went anywhere with the battle system in part 1.

The second half was a wonderful surprise though. It really felt like the writers had just wrote filler for part one just so they could get to part 2. That's where it grabbed me. The gameplay suddenly became inspired. The OST started kicking. It was great!

Honestly, I kind of hope that they don't do a straight port of Fantasian to consoles or PC. Rather, I hope they use a potential port as an excuse to redevelop the game and fix up the 1st half. video games, especially JRPGs, can't really be developed properly in halves like a tv show can. I think the 1st half ended up underbaked because of the weird release scheme.

If they can bring up the 1st half to the same quality as the second half, I think we'd possible have the best turn-based JRPG in over a decade. It'd be a perfect swan song for Sakaguchi, whose in his 60's now and half-retired in Hawaii.

Sorry if I come of as a big too negative of the 1st part of the game.

Two days to go, and ambassadors have hands on!

Comic cutscenes are whatever, but the animated ones and general facial animations on sonic are impressive!

Level design looks to have taken cues from a number of sonic styled indie games. It's only the opening level, but I like how wide it is. Curious to see how later levels play.

One thing I don't really like is how boosting seens pointless in that it's kinda slow

This doesn't look bad at all, the visuals remind me a little bit of Lost World and...Fall Guys surprisingly.

I don't have an interest in getting any iOS device so I'll just live vicariously through these random gameplay videos.

This doesn't look bad at all, the visuals remind me a little bit of Lost World and...Fall Guys surprisingly.

I don't have an interest in getting any iOS device so I'll just live vicariously through these random gameplay videos.
My daughter has an ipad, and my wife has an iphone.

I really want to try this 🤔

This looks really promising. It looks like what I’ve wanted Sonic to become since SA2. The environments look a little more inviting than what Frontiers offered as well. Looks like… We’ll see though.

Just hopped into this a bit before bed and had a lot of fun!

On my iPhone 15 pro it defaulted to 50% res and medium graphics. I was able to turn it to max and 100% and it still felt like 60 fps… prob a battery thing.

My main impression is that this feels like a sonic heroes and sonic lost world successor. It’s cool to play something made by another team.

Touch controls weren’t terrible, but I’ll be playing with controller on iPad tomorrow.

The characters feel very small lol.

Just poked around the intro on iPad with a controller while on lunch and:

• character size is much better on this ratio screen
  • controls feel great
  • seriously such an impressive first attempt at a game like this. There are definite mobile-isms especially in the UI, but largely feels solid
  • no cloud saves??

I'm almost through the second world (the factory where you unlock your second set of characters), and this is legit. It's definitely another new take on 3D Sonic overall (With more open levels and the Mario 64/Sunshine mission format) but as a whole it's more enjoyable than Frontiers and the last couple games. Really hoping for an enhanced console version next year and for this team to get to do more like this.

From the gameplay bits I've watched this looks surprisingly legit. No access to Apple Arcade so hopefully it doesn't take too long to show up elsewhere.

Just poked around the intro on iPad with a controller while on lunch and:

• character size is much better on this ratio screen
  • controls feel great
  • seriously such an impressive first attempt at a game like this. There are definite mobile-isms especially in the UI, but largely feels solid
  • no cloud saves??
No cloud saves? Is that common for Apple Arcade games? I would have just assumed that if you started playing on an iphone and moved to an ipad or apple TV or whatever your save would be there. I guess I better just go with my iPad and leave the phone out of it then.

The environments are nice. And with the premise of this being a dream world it excuses a lot of absurd geometry people complained about with Lost World.

If this game's deal is like Sonic Racing on iOS, it might take like 2 years to go to another platform.

For those in Italy, the local retailer Unieuro is giving three free months of Apple Arcade and Apple TV. You have to go here; no purchase or registration is necessary.

I'm pretty sure there is something similar in other Western countries. Apple is doing these promotions quite often.

No cloud saves? Is that common for Apple Arcade games? I would have just assumed that if you started playing on an iphone and moved to an ipad or apple TV or whatever your save would be there. I guess I better just go with my iPad and leave the phone out of it then.
I thought so too, maybe I just did something wrong on my end

Two acts complete so far and first impressions are super good. This is amazing.

First of all, it looks gorgeous. I love how colorful this game is! Frontiers is a beautiful game, but it’s drab and dull compared to Dream Team. This is how Sonic games should look! Interestingly, there’s graphics options, which I didn’t expect for a game on iOS. It was set to Medium by default, with resolution scaling set pretty low. I cranked everything up to the max, assuming my M1 iPad Pro could handle it, and so far it has.

The next thing I want to talk about is how the game feels to control. And it’s brilliant. It’s tighter than Frontiers’ open world controls, and it’s slower than Frontiers as well, but I feel like both of these changes are to Dream Team’s benefit since this game has smaller and tighter spaces than Frontiers, while still giving you a sense of freedom that’s so often missing from 3D Sonic. This is still Boost-style Sonic, love it or hate it, but it’s been the norm for so long now I think most folks are at least used to it. I do find myself wanting to use the spin dash, and the ground pound move to instantly cancel momentum, and I’m not sure those moves are here? Maybe I haven’t unlocked them yet.

And then we have the levels. I’ve only seen two of them so I don’t have much to go on, but I can already tell that this is the evolution that 3D Sonic sorely needed. It doesn’t need huge open continents to get lost in; it just needs the traditional stages to be a wee bit wider, and that’s exactly what they’ve done here. There’s branching paths, paths locked to specific characters, and Red Rings and Blue Coins to find. I really like the Mario 64 style missions as well. But the checkpoints mission and the time trial mission seem kinda similar. But I digress. The levels are a treat so far.

My one complaint is with the story - it’s awful. Comic panel cutscenes are fine. It’s the plot that sucks. It’s exactly the same as Frontiers! Oh no, Sonic’s friends are locked in cyberspace dream worlds so we gotta rescue them. But in the meantime they can talk to us as ghosts! Where have we seen this before..? I donno. Seems same-y. I can’t wait to fight the final boss that’s actually a shooter where I take on the moon!

Anyway, I’m loving this game. I really hope that it gets console and PC ports, because people need to be able to play this. It’s the best 3D Sonic in years.

So glad to see this getting its flowers! Could this be the alternate team for Sonic they wanted red button to be?!?!

Also sounds like cloud saves are expected so I just had an issue

I tried it on my phone with touch controls… it’s probably a lot better with a TV and controller…

Back
Top Bottom