• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Sonic Dream Team announced (Apple Arcade exclusive) - Available December 5th.

This actually looks really cool. Kind of how you'd imagine a Sonic game would be if made by the Mario team. It's too bad I don't have an iPhone...

They probably mean back to back bad games.

After Generations we've been back to bad games except for Mania as only outlier that's actually top quality. That's over a decade of bad games. It's sad to realise this has been going on for a decade.

Ugh, I hate that this is more the type of Sonic game that I want than both Superstars (by far) and Frontiers, but it’s exclusive to a subscription service that I have no interest in… And I say that as an Apple user who has an iPhone, iPad, and an iMac, any of which I could use to play this game.

Interesting! I’m going to restart my subscription when it’s released. I was mostly using it only for Horizon Chase 2

Ugh, I hate that this is more the type of Sonic game that I want than both Superstars (by far) and Frontiers, but it’s exclusive to a subscription service that I have no interest in… And I say that as an Apple user who has an iPhone, iPad, and an iMac, any of which I could use to play this game.
Yeah 100%. I think this is just like a tech demo for their future game though lol. It's probably really short.

Yeah 100%. I think this is just like a tech demo for their future game though lol. It's probably really short.
it's by hardlight, so it's definitely not a tech demo. and it's not like Sonic Team has the best record of follow ups anyway

a smaller scale, 10-hour Sonic game feels like something Sonic needs. less chance of over-think, which I feel plagued 3D sonic

I get more upset when there's a game I want to play exclusive to a mobile service I could easily get like this than when it's exclusive to a full on system I know I'll never pick up lol

It's really the difference between "eh that sucks but exclusives happen" and "oh Sega you asshole" haha

Quoted by: Tye
I get more upset when there's a game I want to play exclusive to a mobile service I could easily get like this than when it's exclusive to a full on system I know I'll never pick up lol

It's really the difference between "eh that sucks but exclusives happen" and "oh Sega you asshole" haha
Games being exclusive to subscriptions services just sucks overall… I don’t mind the classic games on Nintendo Switch Online because I’m always gonna be paying for NSO regardless since it’s a necessity for online play anyway, but Apple Arcade offers me nothing that I care to continuously pay monthly for, and it sucks just paying for a limited period and then never being able to access a game again.

I still wouldn't have too much hope in Sega unfortunately. Chu Chu Rocket never made it to other platforms and died on Apple Arcade. It's a bummer.
True

and I know it isn't Sega but I'm still waiting for Fantasian goddammit

I'm hoping Apple Arcade doesn't prove to be quicksand

No Android. And for now no PC/console. Apple/Sega, please come on now. This one looks fun.

Edit: oh wait can I use my wife's 7 year old macbook?

Edit: oh wait can I use my wife's 7 year old macbook?
Apple's listing says you need to be on macOS 11, so make sure the Macbook can update to at least Big Sur. Dream Team might have its own hardware requirements, and 7 years is on the edge of a Macbook's relevance specs-wise, so it's hard to say for certain until the game goes live.

If it doesn't work out, it seems like the cheapest entry point is an Apple TV? (Which isn't actually a TV, but Roku-type thing.) You can pair any Bluetooth gamepad with them, I'm told Switch Pro controllers and Joy-Cons work. There's a lot of ways to get 3~5 months of Arcade free, either packed in with Apple products or via partners like Best Buy and Target.

This probably comes down to how the marketing presents it, but I find it interesting how every time Apple Arcade comes up it's assumed to just be a mobile service. macOS, tvOS, iOS, and iPadOS can all play Apple Arcade, and you'd think that first one would be a bigger selling point for Apple given how they struggle with attracting game developers to Mac.

Dream Team looks unbelievably good. I mean that literally. It’s hard to believe that a 3D Sonic game seems like it’s gonna be as good as this looks. I can’t wait to play it. It might be worth hooking my phone or tablet or whatever up to my TV for this.

I have played Fantasian. Sometimes, I wonder if I'm the only one of the board who has.
That would quickly change if Sakaguchi would put the game on Switch cuz you're sure as hell not the only one on the board who wants to

On my second playthrough on the new 15 Pro. Played it on iPad before.
There are two of us!

By the by, would you agree with me if I said that the first half of the game (the part initially released), is mediocre and derivative. But the second half (the second release), is absolutely fantastic. To me it felt as though that the second part was the part the development team was interested in. Even Sakaguchi's soundtrack felt phoned in the 1st half, but was fantastic in the 2nd half.

There are two of us!

By the by, would you agree with me if I said that the first half of the game (the part initially released), is mediocre and derivative. But the second half (the second release), is absolutely fantastic. To me it felt as though that the second part was the part the development team was interested in. Even Sakaguchi's soundtrack felt phoned in the 1st half, but was fantastic in the 2nd half.
I don't think it was mediocre, but it was safe with gorgeous visuals + amazing music carrying it. The second part is pure unfiltered stuff that elevates to SaGa tier.

I'm not into phone gaming at all and I don't have an Apple device. It's a shame because games like Sonic Dream Team and Fantasian look really good. I guess if they ever find their way to consoles, I would definitely be interested.

I don't think it was mediocre, but it was safe with gorgeous visuals + amazing music carrying it. The second part is pure unfiltered stuff that elevates to SaGa tier.
yall just keep on making me want it

I'm not into phone gaming at all and I don't have an Apple device. It's a shame because games like Sonic Dream Team and Fantasian look really good. I guess if they ever find their way to consoles, I would definitely be interested.
Luckily Sakaguchi did say a few months ago he'd like to bring Fantasian to PC and consoles. No mention of timeframe, but at least that he'd like to. It's a start!

Fantasian would be a cool Switch 2 launch game. :)
ya know what

I could see there being some sort of thing where they already have the agreement in place for Fantasian to be a launch window title, along with one of those deals where Nintendo gets the exclusive reveal in a Direct, forcing Mistwalker to be coy about it leaving Apple Arcade at all. Maybe the port is already in the works but Sakaguchi contractually can't say anything outside of "hmmm yes I would like to bring it to other platforms someday..."

🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔

maeby

oh yeah and Sonic Dream Team looks so good

Also it was not found a listing on Steam servers for Fantasian?
it was found in a Steam database or something a couple months ago, I think? But no actual announcement or release date. So probably something soon-ish

It’s frustrating to me that the issue that everyone seems to be taking with this game is that it’s “exclusive to iPhone” when that’s not even the case—you can get an Apple TV for $129, cheaper even than any Nintendo Switch (or any other game console for that matter) and play it on that, or on a Mac if you have one. It’s not really much different than console exclusives, yet the way people are complaining about it makes it seem way worse than that.

Instead the real issue, to me, is that this is specifically exclusive to a subscription service. I have multiple devices on which I can play this game, and if I didn’t I’d probably go out and buy an Apple TV if I really wanted to play it (especially if it’s truly like the Adventure games as previews claim)…but only if I could actually, y’know, own the game instead of having to pay monthly to have access to the game indefinitely.

I’ll probably still play a bit of the game since I currently have a 3-month trial of Apple Arcade going after uprading my iPhone for the first time in 5 years, but I just hate the concept of games being locked behind subscription services. It’s more tolerable with the Nintendo Switch Online classic games because I’m always gonna have an NSO membership regardless for online play, but an Apple Arcade subscription gives me nothing that I’d want to actively stay subscribed every month for, ‘cause there aren’t really any other games I care to play on there and I certainly won’t be playing them every month…but at the same time I want to be able to access a game like Sonic Dream Team any time I want without having to pay again.

I don’t see how this is different from a game being exclusive to Nintendo or Steam or EGS or whatever.
Hey let’s be fair, this is totally different!

because the iPhone install base alone is over 1 billion people so this means the game is being released on a platform with a user base of more than all of the consoles combined.

Anyway, Apple paid for this, it would not have been made otherwise. If it’s good enough I would not be surprised if it got a port to other things down the road, so people who don’t have Apple products can get a chance to play.

That being said I’d rather play a game like this on Switch so I get it, just some of these complaints just sound kind of silly with context.

It’s frustrating to me that the issue that everyone seems to be taking with this game is that it’s “exclusive to iPhone” when that’s not even the case—you can get an Apple TV for $129, cheaper even than any Nintendo Switch (or any other game console for that matter) and play it on that, or on a Mac if you have one. It’s not really much different than console exclusives, yet the way people are complaining about it makes it seem way worse than that.

Instead the real issue, to me, is that this is specifically exclusive to a subscription service. I have multiple devices on which I can play this game, and if I didn’t I’d probably go out and buy an Apple TV if I really wanted to play it (especially if it’s truly like the Adventure games as previews claim)…but only if I could actually, y’know, own the game instead of having to pay monthly to have access to the game indefinitely.

I’ll probably still play a bit of the game since I currently have a 3-month trial of Apple Arcade going after uprading my iPhone for the first time in 5 years, but I just hate the concept of games being locked behind subscription services. It’s more tolerable with the Nintendo Switch Online classic games because I’m always gonna have an NSO membership regardless for online play, but an Apple Arcade subscription gives me nothing that I’d want to actively stay subscribed every month for, ‘cause there aren’t really any other games I care to play on there and I certainly won’t be playing them every month…but at the same time I want to be able to access a game like Sonic Dream Team any time I want without having to pay again.
I think you're actually hitting both points that people are frustrated about in your post: it's not just about specifically iphones, it's yet another device we'd have to go buy (I know an Apple TV isn't as expensive as a Switch but it's still yet another $100+ device I'd have to go buy and then start playing musical chairs with HDMI cables) on top of being part of a subscription service where you don't own the game.

I already have two consoles, stuff going to Apple means I'd need a third, and at some point that gets frustrating. It's like when streaming was just Netflix or Hulu it was manageable and exclusives were fine, and then Amazon came along, and then Peacock, and then CBS All Access, and then Disney Plus, then Paramount Plus, then HBO Max, etc etc etc. I have a Switch and one of the "big" consoles, I'd hoped that'd be enough but not anymore. 😅

I don’t see how this is different from a game being exclusive to Nintendo or Steam or EGS or whatever.
The complaints come from the fact that phones aren’t where the main audience for sonic is. Most sonic fans play on consoles, so being forced to play only on an Apple device AND pay for a subscription on top of that is a bit of a slap to the face. Combine this with the fact that Apple Arcade (where sonic dream is being released) has a history of getting rid of exclusives, leaving the games lost media, and I feel like the complaints are justified

that we don't know. Apple doesn't really pay for games, they pay for temp exclusivity
AFAIK, Fantasian was funded by Apple.
I think you're actually hitting both points that people are frustrated about in your post: it's not just about specifically iphones, it's yet another device we'd have to go buy (I know an Apple TV isn't as expensive as a Switch but it's still yet another $100+ device I'd have to go buy and then start playing musical chairs with HDMI cables) on top of being part of a subscription service where you don't own the game.

I already have two consoles, stuff going to Apple means I'd need a third, and at some point that gets frustrating. It's like when streaming was just Netflix or Hulu it was manageable and exclusives were fine, and then Amazon came along, and then Peacock, and then CBS All Access, and then Disney Plus, then Paramount Plus, then HBO Max, etc etc etc. I have a Switch and one of the "big" consoles, I'd hoped that'd be enough but not anymore. 😅
I get the complaint about the subscription service (that said, Apple has free months very, very often), but the "yet another device part"... doesn't also apply to Nintendo/Sony/MS devices, if you are primarily a PC/PS/XB/Switch (select your favorite combo) player?
The complaints come from the fact that phones aren’t where the main audience for sonic is. Most sonic fans play on consoles, so being forced to play only on an Apple device AND pay for a subscription on top of that is a bit of a slap to the face. Combine this with the fact that Apple Arcade (where sonic dream is being released) has a history of getting rid of exclusives, leaving the games lost media, and I feel like the complaints are justified
The same argument (sans the criticism towards the subscription service, which is fair) could have been made for Bayonetta 2 back when it was announced, or, idk, for a hypothetical Xbox exclusive Banjo or Crash game.

I get the complaint about the subscription service (that said, Apple has free months very, very often), but the "yet another device part"... doesn't also apply to Nintendo/Sony/MS devices, if you are primarily a PC/PS/XB/Switch (select your favorite combo) player?
It applies to a degree, yeah, but that's why I made the comparison to the streaming market. The more the market splinters and the more platforms emerge, all with their own exclusives, the tougher this gets to swallow. Plus this is Sega, and it's Sonic. Sonic has been crossplat since 2003, and tends to sell really well on Nintendo platforms in particular (I remember reading that they tend to sell best on Nintendo but I can't find worldwide Sonic-on-Nintendo numbers, only Japan for some reason) but this new game that looks well-suited for Nintendo's audience is an exclusive not to one of the other consoles people tend to have, but to yet another device, one that is outside the typical gaming ecosystem (meaning it's less likely someone interested in games would even have it).

Is it a big, big deal? No. Will it maybe be ported eventually like other AA games have been? Perhaps! I'm just trying to point out that this goes a little deeper than people complaining about iphones.

I’ve not seen many people at all complaining specifically about it being exclusive to a subscription service; rather, most of what I’ve seen is people just complaining about it being “exclusive to iPhone” and not even acknowledging the subscription part, let alone the fact that it’s not exclusive to iPhone at all and is also available on Mac, Apple TV, and iPad as well. That’s the whole reason I made my post in the first place.

I understand that people don’t like exclusives when it’s for a platform they don’t already own, but, again, I feel that it being exclusive to a subscription service is the worse issue here, and that’s not what I’m really seeing being discussed by most people. Instead what I see is people calling it a smartphone game while completely ignoring the fact that it’s also available for both PC and a relatively cheap gaming/entertainment device as well. Not to say that I don’t understand why people would be frustrated with the game being exclusive to Apple devices (I personally wish the game would come to Switch), but the range of devices it’s available on is much broader than people are making it out to be, and it just comes across as disingenuous or ill-informed when the vast majority of the complaints are essentially just “I hate that this is exclusive to iPhone”—especially when it’s phrased as being “exclusive to a $1000+ device” which I’ve seen more than a few times already.

Pretty good preview!

Screenshot_2023-11-11_at_10-20-24_Sonic_Dream_Team_could_be_the_hedgehogs_best_game_in_years_Digital_Trends.png

Cream and her famous helicopter tails:

latest

Back
Top Bottom