• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion So BOTW2 was a no show at TGA's, do you think think this is a sign that development is not going as well as planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
So zelda botw 2 didnt show up at the tga's, I feel like this was the perfect time to show it especially after hearing that we would get more from botw 2 this year. It being a no show tells me maybe the development problems are even worse than expected and it might be pushed back. So what do you guys think about this?

No? They've said multiple times, including tonight, that it's on track for 2022. Let's not lose our heads.

No. It means they're waiting until closer to release to do the big blowout. No use showcasing your games biggest trailer a year away from release

Nintendo IMO wouldn't waste the next big showing of Zelda at an event like that. It'll be unveiled in a Direct at a time of their own choosing.

They had a trailer of 2022 games and BOTW 2 was in it. So obviously no.

I'll be real with you, a question the sincerity of this thread. Based your past posts, it seems like you really want to be down on this game. You want it to be pushed into 2023 and seemingly believe that this game has severe development problems despite there being no evidence of it. Absolutely none. It not showing up at The Game Awards isn't proof that the game is in development hell. It's proof that the game wasn't at the Game Awards. Simple as that. So what made you want to create this thread? Honestly, I think you just want to be overly negative and make sure share in that negativity towards others on the forum.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but that is the only reasonable explanation I can believe.

It’s a sign that Nintendo doesn’t feel the need anymore to reveal anything on someone else’s schedule. No more and no less.

Nintendo didn’t show anything, so really that means ALL their games are coming out in 2023.

/s

An absence of good news does not directly implicate bad news. Cool your jets before making these kinds of claims.

I always felt a video game awards appearance was unlikely, but I guess if you zoom out far enough it’s another sign to lean into “aiming for 2022” vs definitely 2022.

I'll be real with you, a question the sincerity of this thread. Based your past posts, it seems like you really want to be down on this game. You want it to be pushed into 2023 and seemingly believe that this game has severe development problems despite there being no evidence of it.
Honestly, I think you just want to be overly negative and make sure share in that negativity towards others on the forum.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but that is the only reasonable explanation I can believe.

I'm not gonna lie i've gotten this exact vibe before from them as well, hey @lemonfresh is it time to close this thread?

No - the game is fine. In retrospect I'd have made the same decision as Nintendo here.

Nintendo's own Directs are a better place to showcase their goods these days, and if they give enough advance notice to the event they'll attract millions of views on the day. Perhaps not TGA numbers (?), but who says all of the TGA viewership is completely tuned in the entire event? It's long, and there's too many parties vying for attention at the show.

Also, I can't help but feel Geoff and plenty of others lean really hard into graphics in the event, and Nintendo's showings sometimes feel a tad out of place. But maybe that's just me...

Nintendo played it very smart this year. TGA is a marketing event and Nintendo had two very solid ads during the commercial breaks. They’ll show BotW2 on their own time next year.

I don’t think that means there is any trouble. I’m happy they are not rushing it, take your time Nintendo.

No, seeing as the team had so many ideas for an expansion on BotW and the engine lends itself so well for more, I really doubt development is troubled. I believe the opposite may be more true.

I don’t see how the lack of a TGA appearance says anything about the development of BotW 2. Nintendo has their own Directs to advertise their games through.

What a weird thread this is. TGA just isn't the right place for a reveal of that caliber is all.

What? Sony didn't show God of War. Nintendo didn't show Kirby or Splatoon 3. MS didn't show Starfield. Do you think games not being at the VGAs means they're having development issues? Because a lot of stuff wasn't there.

What a weird thread this is. TGA just isn't the right place for a reveal of that caliber is all.
What? Sony didn't show God of War. Nintendo didn't show Kirby or Splatoon 3. MS didn't show Starfield. Do you think games not being at the VGAs means they're having development issues? Because a lot of stuff wasn't there.
Not just that they didnt show it at the tga's, I remember Nintendo saying they would show more of botw2 later this year, but they haven't shown it and the year is up cause this was the last big event this year

They did a TGA reveal for BotW, but that was a different time, during the Wii U when they needed as many eyes on it as possible. Now the Switch is a gargantuan success and the predecessor game sold an enormous amount (and is the best selling Zelda game) they aren't desperate for attention in the same way. Whenever it comes, it'll be good.

It's a sign of nothing, but it's still weird. The game awards get way more viewers than an average direct, don't know why Nintendo gotta play so hard to get

It's a sign that Nintendo doesn't care about TGA like I have been saying for weeks

They had a trailer of 2022 games and BOTW 2 was in it. So obviously no.

I'll be real with you, a question the sincerity of this thread. Based your past posts, it seems like you really want to be down on this game. You want it to be pushed into 2023 and seemingly believe that this game has severe development problems despite there being no evidence of it. Absolutely none. It not showing up at The Game Awards isn't proof that the game is in development hell. It's proof that the game wasn't at the Game Awards. Simple as that. So what made you want to create this thread? Honestly, I think you just want to be overly negative and make sure share in that negativity towards others on the forum.

I thought it would be an intersting discussion that Is why I made the thread, I will admit I am pessimistic on the release date since I've been burned before with botw 1, I am mostly trying to keep my expectations low as for that not to happen again.

I don’t think anything is wrong with it, it’s just taking time. Recently I started to expect it not to show up at TGA.

I could tell that the E3 showing this year had a hint of “well we’ve strung the along this long so we have to show SOMETHING” instead of them being ready to actually heavily market the game for release, so I figured it was a sign that we weren’t gonna be seeing lots of it this year.

I’ve expected next E3 for a while now. Big blowout, at that. MAYBE a teaser in a direct before that MAYBE reveals the title but at this point I think the next time we see the game, it’s going to be the big blowout we’ve been waiting for.

Massive stretch to equate not showing a title at a show they probably give few shits about, to there being dev problems. It will be ready when it's ready.

I thought it would be an intersting discussion that Is why I made the thread, I will admit I am pessimistic on the release date since I've been burned before with botw 1, I am mostly trying to keep my expectations low as for that not to happen again.
It's fine to be skeptical on the date but this is kind of a nothing reason to assume there are development issues. Simply not being at any single event doesn't mean anything.

To me is more of a sign that Nintendo and TGA are very distant, i mean they could give them anithing new or even new Kirby trailer, instead they gave them nothing

No lmao. Nintendo's presence at TGA has waned heavily in recent years, so it's not a huge surprise that they didn't show. The only reason we got the Smash reveal there last year was timing. Plus, they just advertised Zelda as 2022 last night.

I take it as a sign that Geoff and Doug don’t have the same relationship as Geoff and Reggie.

Naw its fine. Just further underscores we lookin at end o 2022 release plan.
Its all good, just to make sure its good.

OP you might want to add to your first post The Game Awards Twitter said Nintendo brought the Monster Hunter Rise DLC trailer this year.

It may not have been the thing you wanted, it wasn’t what I wanted, but as always Nintendo brought something for the hardcore audience to the Game Awards.

I’ve expected next E3 for a while now. Big blowout, at that. MAYBE a teaser in a direct before that MAYBE reveals the title but at this point I think the next time we see the game, it’s going to be the big blowout we’ve been waiting for.
Completely agreed on that final point, and they'll likely wait with that blowout until they're completely confident they'll hit their release window. As Schreier said it's really hard to commit to a release date too long in advance ATM.

In regards to OP, Zelda games take a long time. If a 2022 release happens it's been 5 years, which includes a "lost year" because of COVID. Doesn't seem out of the ordinary IMO.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched the TGAs and am catching up right now, but from what i've read it appears Bowser himself said there that it's a 2022 game.

If they were set on delaying it to 2023 and want to avoid outrage, doubling down on 2022 on a stage that a lot of people saw live and can rewatch anytime they want doesn't seem like a good strategy.

So i'm still, and will always be, Team 2022.

So zelda botw 2 didnt show up at the tga's, I feel like this was the perfect time to show it especially after hearing that we would get more from botw 2 this year. It being a no show tells me maybe the development problems are even worse than expected and it might be pushed back. So what do you guys think about this?

What "development problems" are you pointing to? Because I didn't hear anything in that regard.

I don't really see any reasonable way to come to that conclusion, not least after all of the "lower your expectations" discourse for what Nintendo would show at TGA. Weren't you one of the posters who didn't expect anything big from Nintendo at TGA this year, OP? Or am I misremembering?

If there wasn't that high an expectation around Nintendo showing their own stuff at TGA, why would the lack of new Zelda footage signify anything? And it sounds like Zelda was there, just not as new footage, instead as part of a 2022 highlight reel. I doubt that happened without Nintendo's permission.

Not at all OP. You have to allow Nintendo to make the sequel to possibly the best game ever. Give them time. It still has a 2022 release date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom