• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion So BOTW2 was a no show at TGA's, do you think think this is a sign that development is not going as well as planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They literally restated it’s a 2022 game tonight. That’s a big deal.
Did they? It's awesome to read, but Who knows with Zelda. Anyway, there Is no chance in hell we'll see the game until E3 2022, so imho we should all chill out about It.

I’ll never understand why people love to “predict” bad news so much. The game’s dated for 2022 until (if) it’s officially delayed.

I wouldn’t have framed this as is, but I do think there is an interesting question at this time to reevaluate how confident we feel about Nintendo’s 2022 line up and marketing beats now that the last gaming event of the year is over, barring an awesome Indie World hopefully happening next week.

I was on team BOTW 2023 from E3 until their investor meeting where it had that extra big slide dedicated to it. The “aiming for 2022” talk at E3 (Aonuma and the press release) as well as the Bill Trinnen interview set interesting expectations for the game that does give them a clear out if they don’t make 2022. 3D Zelda has a storied history of delays (Twilight Princess and the original Breath of the Wild being the biggest culprits) so until we have a hard date it is more than easy to be skeptical of release windows especially one they weren’t committed to. Where I stand now after that investor slide is I want to believe they’ll hit 2022, but I know there’s still a real chance for a delay so I won’t be hurt if it slips.

I don’t know why Nintendo decides to go all in or go bare minimum for the game awards. This year Monster Hunter and ads were their only presence so they went in very light which might mean they don’t have their early 2022 terribly finalized even though we know they have a lot of games coming. So I think I’m sticking with my January Direct prediction following a light VGAs so we won’t see Zelda again until E3 time (the upper end of Trinnen’s window). No idea if they’ll delay it or not at this point, they probably don’t even know yet.

No. Nintendo tends to show a lot of gameplay and blowout just before a launch.

Games like Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, SMT V all had teasers and took longer to show but those are more the exception than the norm. Nintendo is quite consequentily showing games 9 to 6 months before their release. Which I think is great. BotW sequel is also an exception but I believe the moment we know the name of the game then that is the moment you get a blowout and more marketing as well up until release.

Two out the nearly three years it’s been announced we were and continue to be in the middle of a pandemic. I think you need to ask yourself how development is going so well. Seriously, what they showed at E3 is nothing short of a miracle given the current global circumstances.

No. Nintendo just didn't want to reveal anything at TGA.

Most sane people: "Nobody should be expecting BOTW2 at the game awards, Nintendo hasn't had a heavy presence there in years"

OP: "Wow, can't believe BOTW2 wasn't there, it must be in dev hell"

Not really. Nintendo doesn't really need TGA. They can do their own events whenever they want - when it's time to focus on BOTW2 I'm sure it'll pop up in a Direct and get its own thing.

Echoing everybody else. Nintendo stepped away from the big game trailer war that goes on with the PS & MS ecosystem around E3, and it makes sense they do the same with E3v.2.0 here too. Much easier to dominate mindshare if you do things when nobody else is, and saving up all your stuff for the 1 or 2 big shows a year when everyone else is too really gets you lost.

My take on the whole situation is that the BotW sequel got so amazing because of all the ideas devs had that they have another few big surprises with this game where TGA just didn't fit the bill for a proper showing. Nintendo has their own event and they will want to keep Switch momentum going strong into the next year(s)

The later the showing the better.

The games scope is probably bigger than botw. It's normal for it to take so long especially with how Nintendo takes care of every little detail and greatly polishes the experience. With the over world and now the sky to explore I can not imagine how hard it must be to make such a game.

Also, Iwata and Reggie pledged to always support Geoff and then gave him the first BOTW reveal.

Iwata and Reggie aren't at the Nintendo helm anymore, so...

Just be happy they're still supporting Geoff in some capacity

op how the fuck did you swear up and down nothing would be there from nintendo for weeks and then when you were right pretend this means zelda is getting delayed?

anybody who reads the general thread won't be fooled by this

Lmao. No it just means Nintendo doesn't care when YOU should see it. It's more of when THEY are ready to show it again. Nintendo always on their own beat, you'll see it again eventually....

Considering Nintendo did not announce anything at the show (there were, what, two ads?) I don't think we can infer anything from BotW 2 not having new info shown.

Lol no. There's literally no indication it has any development problems, let alone severe ones. It's just taking as long as an open world game usually takes. And what a Nintendo game on Switch era takes really.

If they ever wanted to show BotW and it wasn't ready, they'd replace it with Bayo 3, Splatoon 3, hell even Kirby. They just don't care for TGA.

Also the game just got reconfirmed for 2022 on a trailer.

Let's not forget BotW 1 had a gameplay showcase at TGA 2014 and still only came out in 2017. And you know you were gonna make that argument if they shown BotW 2 yesterday lol.

With the other announcements last night, which were all very edgy, ultra realistic, with generic Hollywood style, CG-i heavy, Zelda there for someone excited about these other things would be just like "child's game, Nintendo has bad graphics lol" just because the game is cel shaded.

It's a sign that Nintendo doesn't give a rat's ass about TGA and has no real reason to when they can just hold off any announcements for their own Directs.

With the other announcements last night, which were all very edgy, ultra realistic, with generic Hollywood style, CG-i heavy, Zelda there for someone excited about these other things would be just like "child's game, Nintendo has bad graphics lol" just because the game is cel shaded.
I’m not so sure. Breath of the Wild is one of the most successful “traditional” video games in recent history and a full gameplay trailer would have likely stolen the show. Let’s be honest, outside of a couple reveals, it wasn’t a very interesting event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom