• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Previews SMT V Previews

Oh don't worry I'm fine with Persona 5 comparison it's just my issue comes when it's used to overshadow SMT itself and it's not used in a particularly insightful way. Like surface-level comparisons are fine especially for newcomers to the series, but you should also focus on the strength of the game and what makes it SMT the way it is. The Polygon preview isn't negative it's just it's unfortunate that a lot of Persona 5 was talked about in the preview instead of the game itself.
Yeah that I agree with. It’s bad form to not assess something on its own merits, rather than decrying it’s not something totally different. It’s okay to use something totally different as a point of reference! But otherwise yeah I agree.

People comparing SMT5 to P5 was inevitable, and honestly even the "hey this isn't like P5 in these ways" perspective is valuable since that's going to be something a lot of new players will be interested in knowing.

The Polygon article is certainly not how you should go about doing that but there's nothing inherently wrong with making the comparison in this case.

kinda yea. some of these were real quotes

EYt_cBlX0AACphz.jpg
Persona 3 was a mistake :ROFLMAO:

But it’s not Persona’s fault it broke out first. Persona 5 was extremely high quality and became super popular. It’s many people’s first MegaTen game, hell I think for most people it’s their first. Again, contextualizing another game in the same metafranchise from that lens makes total sense, within reason.

I agree that the Polygon review is bad. No defending that. But the resentment towards P5 is unnecessary.
Fair enough. I don’t think it is Persona’s ‘fault’, I just find using a preview to take that stance on an Atlus game a bit pointless when SMT deserves to be viewed as it’s own thing, not through the thing it isn’t. Which just pigeonholes it even further as ‘like Persona but without xyz’, rather than an awesome RPG series in its own right. But as you say, it’s a problem with the article itself, not the concept of a comparison between relatively similar games.

I’ve been sharing these elsewhere, I’ll post them here too. Nothing here violates any embargo but I’ll hide it anyway.

[Hidden content]
This sounds awesome. Are the skills actually meaningful and not +1% to various attributes as seen in other recent titles that have boasted extensive skill systems?

This sounds awesome. Are the skills actually meaningful and not +1% to various attributes as seen in other recent titles that have boasted extensive skill systems?
I find them super meaningful, but some of them can just be minor modifiers. Basically like just any other RPG.

People comparing SMT5 to P5 was inevitable, and honestly even the "hey this isn't like P5 in these ways" perspective is valuable since that's going to be something a lot of new players will be interested in knowing.

The Polygon article is certainly not how you should go about doing that but there's nothing inherently wrong with making the comparison in this case.

I feel like if we should treat gaming journalism seriously, then we should expect higher standards from them, especially from a knowledge standpoint. SMT is an old franchise and the parent of everything including Persona, and just a few years ago we got the latest entries SMTIV and Apocalypse, so there's just so much research material there to stop relying on Persona knowledge for everything SMT. Sometimes, we get this sort of Persona to SMT comparison in the first place from other people because they become echo chambers of preview/review pieces like this, where instead of being informative for new fans it's just fanning the flames of internet message boards.

The framerate is steady so it should be fine.

I think the problem with stuff like Monster Hunter Stories was that it was all over the place.

So it runs mostly at 60 in the open world and 30 in battles then? If so...that's kinda of impressive. I'm not exactly tech savvy but if they capped the fps to 30, wouldn't it help the game achieve native resolution in handheld mode?

Edit: nvm, I just saw Phantoms post above lol.

You said sub native in handheld but does it still runs smoothly and looks OK? I mean I don't expect a super impressive looking game i just hope its not to blurry.
Honestly that’ll come down to your personal tolerance and preferences. I think it’s impressive looking, but it is very distinctly a blurry game, and that can definitely get problematic in a desert area. It doesn’t bother me, but I could see it bothering others.

I’ll say this, if you didn’t have any trouble with Xenoblade or 2, you’re going to have absolutely no trouble with SMTV lol.

I do wish developers would stop using Unreal for Switch though. It’s clear it’s not well suited to the hardware.

Thanks for the information. I just saw your post above. It's been a long day for me lol.
Haha no problem!

Honestly that’ll come down to your personal tolerance and preferences. I think it’s impressive looking, but it is very distinctly a blurry game, and that can definitely get problematic in a desert area. It doesn’t bother me, but I could see it bothering others.

I’ll say this, if you didn’t have any trouble with Xenoblade or 2, you’re going to have absolutely no trouble with SMTV lol.

I do wish developers would stop using Unreal for Switch though. It’s clear it’s not well suited to the hardware.
Thank you so much. I played both xenoblade games in handheld only and they were fine for me. So now I'm really excited!

I'm trying to not get too hyped up but damn, these are making me really excited. Just hope there's no significant delay with my premium edition being shipped.

I liked in the Easy Allies preview how important it sounds exploration is, with the traversal and pick ups.

Those YouTube previews are great, both Easy Allies and the random guy doing a Q&A. Thanks @snikdasnek for posting it.

I feel like if we should treat gaming journalism seriously, then we should expect higher standards from them, especially from a knowledge standpoint. SMT is an old franchise and the parent of everything including Persona, and just a few years ago we got the latest entries SMTIV and Apocalypse, so there's just so much research material there to stop relying on Persona knowledge for everything SMT. Sometimes, we get this sort of Persona to SMT comparison in the first place from other people because they become echo chambers of preview/review pieces like this, where instead of being informative for new fans it's just fanning the flames of internet message boards.
Certainly, but reviewers are also catering to an audience, and an audience wants to know whether or not a game is for them. So telling a person who's only played P5 that SMTV is just like a previous SMT title is kinda not telling them anything at all

Reviews should certainly present the history behind SMT and Persona, and certainly shouldn't be bashing one because it's not the other, but the comparison between the two is valuable to a large section of the potential audience, so it's something that should be talked about

I imagine SMT V will look like Dragon Quest 11 during handheld.
Looks far blurrier to me tbh

DQXI was ported to a Switch specific fork of UE4 that had tons of optimizations made to it. I don’t think this one is doing any of that, I could be wrong though.

Certainly, but reviewers are also catering to an audience, and an audience wants to know whether or not a game is for them. So telling a person who's only played P5 that SMTV is just like a previous SMT title is kinda not telling them anything at all

Reviews should certainly present the history behind SMT and Persona, and certainly shouldn't be bashing one because it's not the other, but the comparison between the two is valuable to a large section of the potential audience, so it's something that should be talked about
To be fair, assuming the reader has played P5 is just as much an assumption as assuming they’ve played SMT III, IV or IV:A, but at least the previous games in the series have had relatively recent releases on Nintendo hardware. I mean, Nocturne came out on Switch, only what, 5 months ago? It’s directly comparable and a similar game in the same series on the same system, you’d think that would be the obvious comparison rather than using an entire article to just talk about how much they liked P5. Explaining the history of both would have been a lot more accessible to everyone if that was the intention.

We're getting close aren't we? The previews sound fantastic. I like that they upgraded the exploration aspect of the game.

I wonder if the game looking blurry is because of the resolution or because the game seems to have some kind of Twilight Princess filter going on. I've had that impression since the first trailers.

To be fair, assuming the reader has played P5 is just as much an assumption as assuming they’ve played SMT III, IV or IV:A, but at least the previous games in the series have had relatively recent releases on Nintendo hardware. I mean, Nocturne came out on Switch, only what, 5 months ago? It’s directly comparable and a similar game in the same series on the same system, you’d think that would be the obvious comparison rather than using an entire article to just talk about how much they liked P5. Explaining the history of both would have been a lot more accessible to everyone if that was the intention.
Every SMT game on 3DS and Switch put together have not sold as much as P5 alone has lol, I’m not even counting Royal in that number. Mathematically it’s far likelier your reader is familiar with Persona than SMT. By a factor of like 5-6x.

And Switch owners are absolutely familiar with Persona, especially given how much cross ownership there is between PlayStation and Nintendo.

Every SMT game on 3DS and Switch put together have not sold as much as P5 alone has lol, I’m not even counting Royal in that number. Mathematically it’s far likelier your reader is familiar with Persona than SMT. By a factor of like 5-6x.

And Switch owners are absolutely familiar with Persona, especially given how much cross ownership there is between PlayStation and Nintendo.
I’m aware of the sales, but it’s still a far more apt comparison is my point. If the only reason to make the comparison is based on sales alone and who has heard of or played whatever over the last however many years there are plenty of other RPGs to compare it to as well.

Mathematically the truth is that the vast majority of Polygon’s readers have played neither, which makes using the article to focus on a single persona game, rather than actually just doing a neutral SMTV preview that actually talks about it like everyone else, just silly.

I’m aware of the sales, but it’s still a far more apt comparison is my point.

Mathematically the truth is that the vast majority of Polygon’s readers have played neither, which makes using the article to focus on a persona game rather than actually just doing a neutral SMTV preview that actually talks about it like everyone else just silly.
Huh? Polygon's P5 and P5R reviews were extremely highly trafficked, the games both ranked extremely highly in their GotY awards, they very clearly have a sizeable P5 audience.

Again, I am not defending the Polygon preview itself. It's a stupid preview, and some of its takeaways are hilarious ("more accessible version of P5R" will give me a good laugh for years to come). But there is nothing wrong with trying to contextualize SMT5 to readers with a far more popular, reasonably similar game from the same publisher.

Back
Top Bottom