• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Previews SMT V Previews

the writer makes note with p5r they were a new comer to the series , i could see for folks new to persona keeping track of various aspects of the daily events and other factors being easier with pen and paper .

Anyways , read the nintendo wire preview , they bring up that the sandy apocalypse setting could get a bit drab or boring , i do wonder if they change things up later in in the game especially with it being open? otherwise it sounds like what smt has been with the improvements and changes you would expect .
There are definitely different locations they have shown off in trailers and etc. However, Atlus has only shown the desert in gameplay vids because it's early game stuff.

You see lots of trees with a river.

zs01590y2mv71.png

I had Metroid Dread as my goty but I might have to reevaluate. Now that I think about it, it doesn't really have dating, I can't catch and fuse monsters, and I'm pretty sure I can't get another job besides the bounty hunter thing.

Best and most informative preview is the q and a from this channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYBijZVeUq9EJ0VQI2NN_PA

Some information from it in spoilers

SMT Network says no dungeons in 10 hours, areas are huge and there's parts with 20-30 demons in sight at once, likes the characters and says the story has been surprising him and doesn't feel like going through the SMT motions, has hit a few roadblock bosses and needed to grind and fuse already. Says dub is generally good, Tao's VA he isn't too certain on as apparently she hasn't been around much. Likes Aogami and the Prime Minister and said Aogami is less overbearing than Dagda. Atlus has shown way less of the game in trailers than you'd think

He says the game lives up to the hype and builds up mystery really well. He said that the overworld is basically a large dungeon and that after a few bosses you can travel between Da'at and Tokyo
In a non-spoiler way, what are the impressions like?

Haven't read or watched any of the previews, I've been in a media blackout for a while. Day 1 for me.

Still good to see it getting some positive previews.

I'm sorry to even think about it because it's a fantastic game, but Persona 5 did irreparable damage to the perception of JRPGs among the mainstream audience.

Did SMTIV get nearly as much comparison to P4 during the preview phase?

I’ll have to look at some of these later. In the abstract there’s good reason to make the comparison. P5 was the big breakout and with a lot of new fans probably looking at SMTV the more casual ones are likely wondering if the experience will be the same.

On the other hand, the excerpts posted from the Polygon article read more like there’s a bit of “this isn’t the same and therefore I’m not interested in engaging with it on its own merits”, which is a frustrating attitude to have.

I'm sorry to even think about it because it's a fantastic game, but Persona 5 did irreparable damage to the perception of JRPGs among the mainstream audience.
Ngl Falcom with the Kiseki games started going heavy on the dating sim bs because of Persona lol.

People really want to live their life like a harem protagonist lmao.

I think folks are getting too caught up on that Polygon preview. Just my opinion.

more impressions form the Q and A.

Very technically impressive, great style and usually runs consistently at 25-30 frames and runs and looks better docked. Hr has died playing on normal multiple times, game is balanced and hard. Music is obviously great. Really likes the essence system. Low demon count in 0-20 range so you need to get good with the system early on to do well since there are no cheese demons early on

Will continue posting more, its an info goldmine and might get taken down later lol

Ngl Falcom with the Kiseki games started going heavy on the dating sim bs because of Persona lol.

I consume so much "weeb trash" in my life but I know not everything has to be a dating sim power fantasy.

Umm, probably not. I think this is a very specific case of Atlus to Atlus where the demons are in both games. When they start complaining about not having social sim elements in FF XVI, maybe then you might have a point.

Well, yeah? Saying the game has cut the fat that's in P5 can be seen as a postive. That wasn't our point though.

Sorry, I don't get it
I've read the preview and found more hilarious than informative
the few info I've found on SMTV there (in an article that mentioned P5 more than SMTV) were not worrisome, and actually reassuring for me/my approach to SMTV
So, despite its negative tone, that preview didn't push me away from SMTV
My post was a "joke", let's say

There are definitely different locations they have shown off in trailers and etc. However, Atlus has only shown the desert in gameplay vids because it's early game stuff.

You see lots of trees with a river.

Oh that’s good to see then , then I don’t see much qualms to be had with this game . These previews have definitely piqued my interest though i’m still not in a spot to get it anywhere near day one , still feeling utterly jrpg’d out after the year that has been filled with them , so tales, scarlet and this will have to wait until next year I think .

Sorry, I don't get it
I've read the preview and found more hilarious than informative
the few info I've found on SMTV there (in an article that mentioned P5 more than SMTV) were not worrisome, and actually reassuring for me/my approach to SMTV
So, despite its negative tone, that preview didn't push me away from SMTV
My post was a "joke", let's say
Yea i hear you. We're just more doing a deep dive on that article's approach is all.

Umm, probably not. I think this is a very specific case of Atlus to Atlus where the demons are in both games. When they start complaining about not having social sim elements in FF XVI, maybe then you might have a point.

FF is a series for big boys now, the colorful anime style stuff has to be like my slice of life stuff.

FF is a series for big boys now, the colorful anime style stuff has to be like my slice of life stuff.
I dunno, did people complain about that for Tales of Arise? I think more games have embraced the dating sim elements (Trails of/Fire Emblem), but I don't think it's super wide spread. I think there are enough variations that people are familiar with in the mainstream to not expect social sim in every JRPG.

Feels like a way better executed Nocturne, comes up with good reasons to split the cast and it makes sense that they survive since they have comps lol. He did confirm that Comps and demon summoning programs exist in the game and the game feels like a love letter to the series while still feeling new. Story is amazingly good so far. Game is uncapped and it can run at 60 sometimes. Battle FPS is almost always consistent. World is huge, not BOTW big, A lot of collectibles, secrets and great sidequests. Story is already surprising him at just 10 hours in

Will continue posting, let me know if anyone wants me to stop lol

On the plus side regarding the Polygon preview, that SMTV hasn’t got a load of Persona tropes/dating/social stuff in it is a pretty positive preview for me!

He has needed to grind at a few points because of bosses, but not in a bad way even on normal and normal is very challenging. He messed with casual for a bit as well and its still a fair experience. Only difference between casual and normal is you take less damage, exp and money remains the same. He said that you can explore the school as another hub you can go to but its not Persona lol. Dub is good and majority of the cast has good voices, still unsure on Tao since he hasn't gotten a lot of time with her. She thinks that the demon cast is really interesting and he really likes the PM. And like I said initially they have shown way less of the game than you think they have. Aogami is just an extension for your voice, but you still do hear the protag

The only takeaway i ever got from the reception of persona 5 (and nier automata) is that folks prefer jrpgs now to be “stylish” in looks and concept . That could be “big boy” graphics or colorful but pleasing “anime” style but isn’t necessarily about the tone of the game .

He has needed to grind at a few points because of bosses, but not in a bad way even on normal and normal is very challenging. He messed with casual for a bit as well and its still a fair experience. Only difference between casual and normal is you take less damage, exp and money remains the same. He said that you can explore the school as another hub you can go to but its not Persona lol. Dub is good and majority of the cast has good voices, still unsure on Tao since he hasn't gotten a lot of time with her. She thinks that the demon cast is really interesting and he really likes the PM. And like I said initially they have shown way less of the game than you think they have. Aogami is just an extension for your voice, but you still do hear the protag
I read 3 articles and your posts/this video was the most useful. thx

Areas are expansive, story / structure is unconventional and surprising, good difficulty, the trailers showed little from the game.

That sounds fantastic oh man I'm getting too excited.

Those things are stuff I imagine what a sequel to SMT 4 would have. Sounds like a big jump to previous installments.

Edit: I'm also glad areas are allowing for good exploration. If there's something I appreciate about SMT it's the level design because oh boy is it far better than Persona which granted has never been the series strength.

I sometimes feel the same looks to Fire Emblem…
I've read Polygon preview and...preordered the game
lol
Yeah, felt the same

I mean, its also all over anime, makes sense that games reflect that.

Nahobino does not level up and gain skills you can only gain skills through essence, you need to pay to fuse essence into you getting either resistances or skills. Map has sectioned off areas that are gated off to you with towers you can take down a miniboss and you will also get new skills of a Nahobino skill tree that gives him his unique skills(this might be abcesses). Very intricate tracks and also callback tracks. Very little persona influence. Thats the end of the Q and A

Feels like a way better executed Nocturne, comes up with good reasons to split the cast and it makes sense that they survive since they have comps lol. He did confirm that Comps and demon summoning programs exist in the game and the game feels like a love letter to the series while still feeling new. Story is amazingly good so far. Game is uncapped and it can run at 60 sometimes. Battle FPS is almost always consistent. World is huge, not BOTW big, A lot of collectibles, secrets and great sidequests. Story is already surprising him at just 10 hours in

Will continue posting, let me know if anyone wants me to stop lol
Uncapped Framerate
dear god why

The only takeaway i ever got from the reception of persona 5 (and nier automata) is that folks prefer jrpgs now to be “stylish” in looks and concept . That could be “big boy” graphics or colorful but pleasing “anime” style but isn’t necessarily about the tone of the game .
Tbh Automata didn't look that stylish at all because it had the post-apocalyptic world setting. What helped push that game a lot was 2Bs design lol.

Tbh Automata didn't look stylish at all because it had the post-apocalyptic world setting. What helped push that game a lot was 2Bs design lol.
stylish can include characters of a certain type yes , should have said characters alongside the looks thing.Even persona i think the big thing folks went crazy over on the stylish side alongside the overall look of the game and the ui were the characters , folks love the casts of persona games.

I don’t think we’ve any reason to pretend that P5 did any harm or damage to JRPGs. It is hyper popular, one of the bestselling and most loved JRPGs of all time. It makes total sense that for many people it’s a point of reference when comparing other games, especially when they’re by the same publisher. This is like saying BotW did irreparable harm to open world games. It’s nonsensical. Some comparisons are warranted because they’re the same genre, by the same company, and share a lot of the same mechanics and iconography.

Not excusing how hilariously bad the Polygon preview is. But the weird backlash against P5 I’m seeing here is uncalled for.

Tbh Automata didn't look that stylish at all because it had the post-apocalyptic world setting. What helped push that game a lot was 2Bs design lol.
You mean her butts design¿

man, the lust was…unconfortable, eben with yoko taro himself requestink the artworks on twitter…

i always wanted to play because the gameplay looked really fun (3D action with bullet time elements), and the meta elements of the story.

btt: this seems to be my last game for 2021, hyped.

DQXI reviewed super well despite not having dating sim aspects, being cartoony, and just being a very vanilla game overall. I think you are exaggerating a little.

I’ve been sharing these elsewhere, I’ll post them here too. Nothing here violates any embargo but I’ll hide it anyway.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I don’t think we’ve any reason to pretend that P5 did any harm or damage to JRPGs. It is hyper popular, one of the bestselling and most loved JRPGs of all time. It makes total sense that for many people it’s a point of reference when comparing other games, especially when they’re by the same publisher. This is like saying BotW did irreparable harm to open world games. It’s nonsensical. Some comparisons are warranted because they’re the same genre, by the same company, and share a lot of the same mechanics and iconography.

Not excusing how hilariously bad the Polygon preview is. But the weird backlash against P5 I’m seeing here is uncalled for.
Just with regard to your point on comparisons over same genre, same company, related characters etc, (I don’t think P5 harmed JRPGs either), to be fair Persona and SMT are around 25 and 35 years old respectively. At this point it’s like feeling the need to waste a preview of the latest Donkey Kong Country complaining about why it doesn’t have Super Mario mechanics in it. I just don’t see the point in wasting a preview of a game failing to talk about it and with the premise of primarily dwelling on how it isn’t another single game in the same genre by the same company instead. That’s blatantly obvious decades later. Atlus makes a ton of related rpgs, Devil Survivor etc don’t all need their coverage to be about Persona either.

Just with regard to your point on comparisons (I don’t think P5 harmed JRPGs either), to be fair Persona and SMT are around 25 and 35 years old respectively. At this point it’s like feeling the need to waste a preview of the the latest Donkey Kong Country complaining about why it doesn’t have Super Mario mechanics in it. I just don’t see the point in wasting a preview of a game primarily dwelling on talking about how it isn’t another single game in the same genre by the same company, that’s blatantly obvious decades later. Atlus makes a ton of related rpgs, Devil Survivor etc don’t all need their coverage to be about Persona either.
But it’s not Persona’s fault it broke out first. Persona 5 was extremely high quality and became super popular. It’s many people’s first MegaTen game, hell I think for most people it’s their first. Again, contextualizing another game in the same metafranchise from that lens makes total sense, within reason.

I agree that the Polygon preview is bad. No defending that. But the resentment towards P5 is unnecessary.

Oh don't worry I'm fine with Persona 5 comparison it's just my issue comes when it's used to overshadow SMT itself and it's not used in a particularly insightful way. Like surface-level comparisons are fine especially for newcomers to the series, but you should also focus on the strength of the game and what makes it SMT the way it is. The Polygon preview isn't negative it's just it's unfortunate that a lot of Persona 5 was talked about in the preview instead of the game itself.

I’ve been sharing these elsewhere, I’ll post them here too. Nothing here violates any embargo but I’ll hide it anyway.

[Hidden content]

Holy shit that sounds amazing, even better than my high expectations. It sounds like the trailers weren't even able to convey the scope of the game.

Back
Top Bottom