• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Shigesato Itoi (EarthBound/Mother) Quote Tweeted Today's Nintendo Direct

If it's Mother 1 and 2, whatever. Great for those who haven't played Earthbound.

If it's Mother 3....

But it won't be.

Why would network maintenance be needed for two single player games?
To add the updated app and implement any netcode changes that have been implemented across the entire emulator over the past few months since the last update.

Remember, every game can be viewed (and applauded in real time) by a second player. Plus, there's a hidden function in EarthBound tied to the second player controller.

FLK0X3uXwAETYmV

Earthbound and Mario RPG are the only SNES holdouts I really care about (and some other SNES RPGs like Chrono Trigger and FFVI but I really doubt those are ever coming). Would be nice to see!

NES/SNES Online is still alive!?!?!?

I'll gladly take Earthbound Beginnings, Super Mario RPG, Startropics 2 and Earthbound; thank you very much! (I'm not crazy enough to expect Earthbound Endings to get announced here!).

Ok this deserves a question

Mother 1 and 2 are named Earthbound Origins and Earthbound in the west

What would be the name of Mother 3 ?
EarthBound Endings, I guess? Would make sense to go from Beginnings, to EarthBound, to Endings.

Why would network maintenance be needed for two single player games?
Because the app needs to be updated to add these new games (and the online component also needs updating in order to be able to display the titles of these additional games).

To add the updated app and implement any netcode changes that have been implemented across the entire emulator over the past few months since the last update.

Remember, every game can be viewed (and applauded in real time) by a second player. Plus, there's a hidden function in EarthBound tied to the second player controller.
Woah didn’t know you could have a second player just watching you play. That’s really neat.

Mother is officially Earthbound Beginnings in the west. So logically 3 should be Earthbound Endings if it ever happens.

Earthbound Again

Or something like "Mother Earthbound" since nature is a big theme and it would be a callout to both names.

It's Mother 1+2, people. Nintendo have done it once, they can do it again.

On the subject of NSO I think their focus should be on improving the games list and selection of genres on the platforms they currently have instead adding more platforms. More platforms means more of the same 10-15 initial marquee releases we've played or bought on a Nintendo VC service somewhere. I am sure more platforms will come in time perhaps 1 year out from the expansion pack anniversary this fall. For now just give us more games please

I understand the desire for GB NSO but they have lots of work to do to expand the library of the N64 NSO and SNES NSO feels very lopsided in terms of genre selection and depth of library

Last edited:
The first 2 games would be cool. But Mother 3 would be something else...Best game in the series also.

Would have been exciting if there was a full remake. But I already have earthbound on my New 3DS so a NSO drop wouldn't even be a handheld debut of the game.

I think it’s more likely than anything that this is simply Mother 1 and/or Earthbound on NSO.

BUT

My bold prediction is that if this is either a new remake or a new localization, Nintendo will have hired Toby Fox to have worked on some aspect of the game and will use him to promote it.

Earthbound Beginnings
Earthbound
Earthbound Forever*

*because that's it for Earthbound for all of Time

Back
Top Bottom