• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Scott Pilgrim Anime gets a trailer, a title, and a release date!! UPDATE: Now Streaming!!

Just finished it, loved it.

I think revisionary sequels that try to “fix” the original works are almost always unsatisfying, and easy to write off and ignore to keep the original work intact in your mind. This is the very rare exception that not only works as a sequel story but actually elevates the original and the series as a whole. I love the original comic and the movie, but I truly feel this is the real continuation of that story rather than a separate project. Loved all the characters getting better development and closure especially. Just all around very pleased.

I loved it.

Old Scott was great. I love how his story was basically the same story as many hero characters in other media, but here it’s shown how fucked up that kinda thing really is.

Not saying this for anyone to respond to, just plopping this here in case it turns out I'm right 😅

if the big twist-change is that Scott loses the first battle and poofs into coins, then the rest of the show revolves around Ramona teaming up with the exes for something, then wow.

It would explain why I can't recall any footage in the trailers of Scott fighting anyone beyond Matthew Patel 😅
WELP 🤣

I think some of that works better if you
followed both him and Hope Larson after they got divorced… 😬
I was just thinking about that.
Wasn't sure how much that influenced the choices he made in this series but as someone who struggles with a similar situation that bit of the storyline felt very much to me like someone trying to build their own closure on that stuff

Scott Pligrim Takes Off |ST| Chocolate Supra still hasn't watched the show yet
hehehehehehe 🤣

Scott Pligrim Takes Off |ST| Chocolate Supra still has (not) watched the show yet
Actually yeah I'd prefer the title with the Eva reference 😎
Speaking of which OMG THE AK FIELD 🤣

also a certain moment in episode one made me think of Chocolate Supra 😅
I was squealing

look trying not to tell you spoilers for a week meant I kept hearing

It's funny how we feel so much, but we cannot say a word
We are screaming inside, oh, we can't be heard

over and over in my head

I do need to mention as a STRONG highlight when

The moment THIS starts playing, my GOSH

Wasn't expecting them to just deadass drop one of the bangers from the game like that!

I do need to mention as a STRONG highlight when

The moment THIS starts playing, my GOSH

Wasn't expecting them to just deadass drop one of the bangers from the game like that!

loved that they not only dropped that banger, but both

featured Another Winter briefly and ALSO wrote a reprise for it called Yet Another Winter Again

Seriously though I loved it as much if not more than the books/film.
The music was incredible, recurring jokes had me rolling every time and I don't even have the words to describe how excellent it is visually.
I only have two gripes (that would likely be addressed if they decided to do a second season/feature length special), Gideon was pretty fucking deplorable pre and during dating Ramona so his redemption arc(?) felt gross and the whole "tragic" past doesn’t make up for it. And I dont feel like Scott confronting his shitty future (sort of) really substitutes him confronting his shitty past. I know it's not his story anymore but I feel bad that his exes (aside from Knives) didn’t seem to get closure in this timeline. But hey its been a while since I read it so maybe I'm off base.
definitely agree with a lot of that

like what they did with Gideon was extremely funny and I enjoyed it

but like dude was truly fucking vile in the books, so if they’re the same, he did not get dunked nearly hard enough

I did kind of get the impression that there was room for the rest of the growing and closure that happened in the books, and that this continuation sort of accounted for the possibility of most of those things…

but I definitely definitely agree

still loved it though

I don’t know who else here has watched both this and Succession, but

really thoroughly can’t stop laughing at the notion of Wallace saying “is he in there? …can we get him out?”

Can anyone link to an explainer or article about the OMalley/Hope stuff.

As a married man there’s some stuff in the show that really resonates and I’d like to read a bit more about where it might have come from.

Can anyone link to an explainer or article about the OMalley/Hope stuff.

As a married man there’s some stuff in the show that really resonates and I’d like to read a bit more about where it might have come from.
it’s a lot more complicated than this but

they split and he was kind of a dick about it

and later he regretted being kind of a dick about it

if you want better insight I highly recommend reading Seconds by Bryan Lee O’Malley with the fact that they divorced right after he finished drawing it in mind

Hope also posted some mini-comics that seemed directly about the aftermath, but I can’t find them anywhere

if you want better insight I highly recommend reading Seconds by Bryan Lee O’Malley with the fact that they divorced right after he finished drawing it in mind

Hope also posted some mini-comics that seemed directly about the aftermath, but I can’t find them anywhere
I was actually considering picking up Seconds since I enjoyed re-reading SP so much 👀

😅
snbksig.png

reading a spoilery interview with Bryan Lee O’Malley and glad to see explicit confirmations about how

Scott was always supposed to suck pretty bad, talking about how the very start of the books was always meant to be a condemnation of him and a tacit “he’s trying to make it a joke and that’s worse, and Kim is supposed to be dunking everyone in the room as the voice of reason”

I am constantly baffled that people could not parse "Scott isn't a great or mature person".

The callbacks to tumblr-style "scott is dating a HIGHSCHOOLER?????" were great in Takes Off.

Wanted to share my thoughts without getting into spoilers (also I don’t know how to put the spoil caption, so I couldn’t say spoilers if if I wanted to)
PEAK PEAK PEAK PEAK PEAK PEAK WHERES LISA PEAK PEAK PEAK

Wanted to share my thoughts without getting into spoilers (also I don’t know how to put the spoil caption, so I couldn’t say spoilers if if I wanted to)
[spoiler]type stuff here[/spoiler] to do a full tag with the button and everything or
[ispoiler]type stuff here[/ispoiler] to do it like this

the more I think about this show, the more I love it

it’s so good everybody

i’m really happy that we got something this good

I don’t think I said this at the time, but apropos of nothing I’m deciding that

Kim & Holly are canon at some point in the future of this universe

based on nothing but

them smiling at each other towards the end

Still deciding if I should dump my thoughts here as they currently stand or wait for a rewatch so I can properly digest and pick up additional details

hmmmm decision paralysis

Still deciding if I should dump my thoughts here as they currently stand or wait for a rewatch so I can properly digest and pick up additional details

hmmmm decision paralysis
both! both! both! both!

first impressions then rewatch impressions GOOOO

Okay since I believe in the power of democracy, here we go:

First Impressions!!

Joys:
- The series mostly following Ramona this time was a big surprise and a breath of fresh air. Her story culminating in discovering a love of stuntwork and actually becoming a stuntperson was seriously cool. She never had anything but the delivery job before so her finding something kickass to do (rather than just "be gurlfren") was awesome.

- Wallace getting in on the action with the exes was very welcome, and while I wished they'd dug a bit more into his relationship with Envy (or at least it seemed like there was some reason for his severe hatred of her in the books) I was happy he got a bit of a fight scene with her.

- Knives is a musical prodigy and gets to be part of Sex Bob-Omb. Best plot revision ever.

- I laughed out loud at Scott's line about "the same guy playing two different versions of the same guy," but only in hindsight did the sheer absurdity hit me that that extremely meta joke was using Jaleel White's two performances as Sonic as a springboard for it.

- Also I did notice some obscure Sonic sound effects being used in the series, and I think I heard a little Sailor Moon as well

- Ramona getting to have some closure with Roxy was great, and I loved that we got to see bits of their past this time after the books and movie seemed to handwave that relationship away.

- I hope some historian someday declares this use of "United States of Whatever" to be the greatest needle drop in the history of moving pictures.

- WEIRD 👏 AL 👏 YANKOVIC 👏

- I lost my shit when not only were Simon Pegg and Nick Frost playing the security guards, but they were also eating Cornettos in one scene

- Scott and the Katayanagis sang the opening song from Bubblegum Crisis. The only reason I picked it out is because a month or so before the release youtube decided to start recommending the hell outta the opening sequence from Bubblegum Crisis, so I did eventually watch it and it was a good earworm. It's like they somehow knew and wanted to prep me for that ridiculous weeb joy.

- Also I'm pretty sure the facemask/helmet thingie one of the Katayanagis was wearing during that sequence was from Jet Set Radio. I think.

- Oh did I mention SCOTT AND THE KATAYANAGIS SANG THE OPENING SONG FROM FUCKING BUBBLEGUM CRISIS???

- I love how they gave the Honest Ed's logo an homage here. It was one of several things in this series that was in the books but not in the movie, and not only that but since Honest Ed's shut down recently it's also sorta preserving some bit of Toronto lore as well (The Rockit is gone, too)

- I just realized Comeau isn't in this, huh

- Loved and appreciated the proper Versus screens for each battle this time. They kinda did it in the movie a bit (though the best one (Roxy vs Ramona reflected in the glass shards) wasn't even the actual vs screen for that battle) but this was done much more deliberately and up-front. My friends were cheering when Julie got a vs screen.

- Kinda interesting I think that Old Scott is essentially playing the same part as Nega Scott here, just in a friendlier way. He still ends up being a symbol of Scott's selfishness and his reluctance to do the hard-but-right things, and forces him to face that side of himself just in a different way.

- DELOREAN SKATES!!!!!

- Songs. From the game. Made it into the show.

- Even Older Scott was basically Old Ryu in design, right?

- Todd's new tattoo was visible for like a frame in the final battle, and I appreciate the animators sticking to their guns there 😅

- The Epilogue's rendition of God Only Knows made me fuckin cry

- An artist I've been following for 15 years (back in the DeviantArt days) said she got to do some animation on this show, and I managed to catch her name in the credits ❤️

Cons:
- First of all, I can't believe they AoC'ed it after I specifically asked them not to 😅

- I feel like in the books and movie the Wallace/Scott relationship was somewhat protective and genuinely caring if a little irritated (the books especially give the relationship a huge big/little brother feel) and that seemed to just go away here with Wallace coming across like he really doesn't like Scott and barely has a relationship with him.

- Knives' story seems a lot more geared towards her being in the band and less around the emotional baggage of what's going on with Scott, which I guess makes some sense because stuff with Scott didn't have a chance to get too bad but at the same time it feels like she's less of the heart of the story like she is in the movie (and especially in the books)

- What happened to Crash and/or The Boys? (when it was obvious they weren't showing up one of my friends said "ughh.. I'm SOOOOO SAD." 🤣)

- As mentioned by others, the sick evil of Gideon seemed completely glossed over (even though I ended up rooting for his connection with Julie and her eventual ascension to evil as well) though I dunno if it's because they didn't wanna lean too hard on people needing to know the backstory from the books or if they wanted to do away with how seriously toxic his treatment of women was. Either way I respect them not getting into it, but it still feels like a gap.

- Something I kept waiting for them to point out but they never did: by Older Scott (and Even Older Scott) trying to change the course of events, he wasn't just removing the choice from Scott but also from Ramona. I expected older Ramona to point that out but it became more about the act of her choosing Scott than it was about her not letting this Other Scott (not that Other Scott) take everything over

- I think Stacey is the only character who ended up with a better presence in the movie than in both the books and the series. She had what, four or five lines across eight episodes?

- Roxy had a fantastic episode with Ramona but I still feel like she was sorta pushed into the backseat in favor of Patel, Lee, and Ingram for the movie subplot. I loved what they finally gave her (and it was desperately needed) but I wish they had given her more.

- After the point we realized Scott was kidnapped and not coin'd, one of my friends said "Wait, what if it's Scott's evil exes coming after him???" and my head went immediately to Lisa Miller. We had a temporary assumption that maybe she was pissed that she didn't get a part in the movie and so she came back in time to fuck the whole story up. Obviously what we got was much more of a personal growth story than that woulda been but I'm still shocked there was absolutely no Lisa Miller in this series. That's not really a con but still, #where's Lisa, Bryan?????

Last edited:
second only to Young Sheldon.

I guess.

anyone know any good bridges a decafoot dozen or higher?

Chris Evans is always at his best when he’s playing a smarmy dick that you want to punch

I really like the movie and the comic but this is easily my favourite Scott Pilgrim thing. Love the animation, the music, and especially the extra focus on the side characters.

Both? Both is good.
both! both! both! both!

first impressions then rewatch impressions GOOOO
Alright yall

Rewatch Reactions:
- "Is that a Sonic thing?" she asked 🤣

- Is it just me or is Satya Bhabha doing a borderline Vegeta impression?

- "I thought it meant there'd be drinks.
. . .
and I was right" 🤣

- ROX YOU LIKE A HURRICANE

- "I couldn't even get a reservation at McDonald's, they laughed at me when I called." Holy shit. I missed this the first time because we were too busy laughing at "My billionaire friends have shunned me, even my millionaire friends have turned their backs."

- Wait is this entire Lucas Lee sequence just THPS????

- "This town's on the verge of saying "See you later boy"...is that because he's a skater boy???? 🤣😂🤣😂🤣 Also I love how Lucas gets cornered into playing Scott because his toxic behavior has him being cancelled 😎

- WHY IS THERE A SCOTT HEAD DOING THE END OF EVA THING??????

- Edgar Wrong ❤️

- "who'd they cast to play Toronto?" How did Young Neil end up being one of the best damn characters in the series?

- "What's with the suit, are you a CEO?" has got to be a callback to "What's with his outfit, is he a pirate?" right? It's said with almost exactly the same inflection

- When I was watching with my friends and the anime-anime section popped up one of them said "You can tell she's the main character because she has pink hair!" and I said "Actually you can tell she's the main character because she was late for school and running with a piece of toast in her mouth" 😎

- "My real name isn't Lucas..... it's Luke." God bless Chris Evans. ❤️

- I am so so so so so so so thrilled that "Bread makes you fat" is now part of a stage musical

- wait was Matthew singing something from Into the Goddamn Woods?? 😳

- OMG their band is called "Pop'n TwinBee" I missed that the first time 🤣😂🤣😂

- oh god wait I just realized Scott singing the opening to Bubblegum Crisis means WILL FUCKIN FORTE SANG THE OPENING TO BUBBLEGUM CRISIS

- I love how Scott pets Robot-01 ❤️

- Knives gets that little keyboard flourish at the end like Walter getting to whistle the end of Life's a Happy Song in The Muppets. Actually her whole arc is kinda like Walter's in The Muppets ❤️

Final Thoughts:
I was genuinely expecting Gideon the Cat to be, like, a thing

So the two biggies that bugged me the first time: the time travel angle and the movie studio section of the story, I'm thinking more about them:

With the movie studio part, I initially thought they spent a bit too much time on it (even though it was relevant to the ending in multiple ways) but if I consider this series probably has a bit of O'Malley reflecting on himself (we've already talked about the divorce part) then I think there's a chance the movie studio arc has something to do with him reflecting on that time as well. From what I've seen he was on set a bunch during production of Vs The World, and some of what he built into this series is probably him expressing what he experienced there and making jokes about it. So looking at this show as a sequel to Scott Pilgrim might not sit quite right at first glance, but if you were to look at it as O'Malley working through stuff that happened after he wrote the books, it ends up being an even better sequel than if it had just been "the cast gets up to new shenanigans."

So I've said before that time travel is one of my favorite sci-fi tropes, but then why did I really not want that to be the way they went this time? Been thinking about it a bit. I think it's because I felt so burned by Age of Calamity basically erasing all the tragic backstory of BotW for the sake of an "Everyone is HERE!!" moment that now seeing it elsewhere kinda bugs me. Even though I love time travel! Maybe if they had marketed and started the series as a sequel that focuses on Older Scott and Ramona, the divorce, the suck, and then the big twist surprise was Scott going back in time to the original story to stop things? More like Back to the Future 2, ya know? It woulda taken all the mystery out of the whodunnit and absolutely woulda killed the shock and surprise of Patel winning the first fight (which admittedly was a great wtf moment), so I can understand it probably wouldn't have worked as well, but I'm just thinking about how I personally might've accepted the time travel twist better.

Plus now I want a second season where the cast tries to get on with life beyond the original SP timeframe, which makes me continue to think that if this series had started out that way before pivoting to time travel, I might've been less jarred. Dunno. It's still objectively amazing as it is, I think I'm just bugged by the "sorta sequel that actually rewrites the original through time travel" trope that seemed to suddenly crop up a bunch with AoC, FFVIIR, and some other stuff I won't mention because it'd be spoilers for other relatively fresh series. 😅 Either way I'm really thrilled with how this all turned out, even if I was kinda like "why" for a while on the first watching. It's not just a show for the sake of doing more with the IP, it's an artist's reflection on his life and work framed as entertainment, which is.. yeah, art. And that's really what I want from tv and movies.

Last edited:
@Joy-Boy this IS the place for this argument! I’ll elaborate:

assuming that Scott can’t fuck up after character growth is not remotely fair to any of the characters and their humanity

like he grows as a person! he wins! they get better together!

and then when they fight, he doesn’t know what to do. so much of his growth came from facing problems head-on, learning love and self-love, but still punching his problems away

it’s shown that their argument could have been like, handled more carefully. but he panics, falls back a bit, and then gets obsessive — all that opening up and he got hurt in the process.

who can he fight about it? no one

so he tries to hold on, tries to be reasonable and mature, sort of… and pulls himself through time

to say “yeah don’t do it, I got hurt so uh just don’t, okay?”

and Scott’s like wtf no

so old Scott is like “my MATURE TAKE didn’t change the past??????? well then I have to fight someone and I guess it’s gotta be ME!”

and literally obsesses about fixing the wrong mistake for ten years because he blames himself and has to change the past

but of course he can’t

and it takes getting teamed up against for him to like even realize he should have just talked about it

I think in a lot of ways Bryan Lee O’Malley is, in a very exaggerated way, speaking from experience here

assuming that Scott can’t fuck up after character growth is not remotely fair to any of the characters and their humanity

and then when they fight, he doesn’t know what to do. so much of his growth came from facing problems head-on, learning love and self-love, but still punching his problems away

it’s shown that their argument could have been like, handled more carefully. but he panics, falls back a bit, and then gets obsessive — all that opening up and he got hurt in the process.

so he tries to hold on, tries to be reasonable and mature, sort of… and pulls himself through time

and Scott’s like wtf no

so old Scott is like “my MATURE TAKE didn’t change the past??????? well then I have to fight someone and I guess it’s gotta be ME!”

and literally obsesses about fixing the wrong mistake for ten years because he blames himself and has to change the past

but of course he can’t

and it takes getting teamed up against for him to like even realize he should have just talked about it

I think in a lot of ways Bryan Lee O’Malley is, in a very exaggerated way, speaking from experience here
👏👏👏

and Scott’s like wtf no

but of course he can’t

I get that, I’m just not as big into how it was executed in the show itself. The Scott we see feels too big a leap in the opposite direction from where the Scott in the books left of, and I think the show just glosses over too quickly how he got there and what led him there that it feels like it’s not even the same guy.

Last edited:
Alright yall
one thing to consider is

the time travel shenanigans may literally be a metajoke on literally FF7R given how many final fantasy jokes were in the original

it’s possible that was entirely intended to be parallel!

I still think it really really worked as presented, but can understand your initial dislike of it.

as for me, everything from the marketing to the pacing was exactly what I would have wanted

Back
Top Bottom