• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Scott Pilgrim Anime gets a trailer, a title, and a release date!! UPDATE: Now Streaming!!

Watched the first episode and yeah…

So the episode is kind of a blend between the movie and the comic book… until the end, where Scott is taken out by Matthew Patel. Definitely curious to see how this will play out.

Watched all 8 episodes and It’s not what I wanted but it’s what I needed. It‘s very good. I like it.

Okay so no spoilers please but
I am at least aware that they did a pretty drastic departure in the plot that's got people torn. I don't know what they did, don't wanna know, but please please please tell me it's at least done organically as the series just being its own story and is not some Age of Calamity or FFVII-R timey-wimey interference stuff 🙏
The most I can tell you is that once you see all of it and understand what they were going for, it doesn't feel like a betrayal, nor like a cheap attempt at shock value.

There is a lot to be discussed here, and so many aspects to love.
I might be optimistic, but I feel like the more we'll analyse and discuss this show, the more appreciated it will be.

The most I can tell you is that once you see all of it and understand what they were going for, it doesn't feel like a betrayal, nor like a cheap attempt at shock value.

I might be optimistic, but I feel like the more we'll analyse and discuss this show, the more appreciated it will be.
I am at the very least happy knowing O'Malley wrote it (with help, I know, but still) so even if there are things I'm not jazzed about I'll have an easier time accepting it knowing these ideas still came from the original creator.

ugh this wait is gonna be pain. LOL

Yeah this truly is a great show though I‘m not so sure everyone will like it.
The internet is not too kind to experiments to stuff with dedicated "fans". People like always to complain about that everything gets remade but if there actually is a new spin on existing things, suddenly many act as if something was taken away from them. And with a women taking the lead in this new series, it will unfortunately be the perfect storm for a certain subset of people. Even though I‘d say that this actually is a sequel to Scott Pilgrim which is far better than getting a third adaptation of the same story IMO

I think this version will age even better with people over time, even if there may be some division at the start.

I've seen it twice now, and as someone who already liked it on my first run, it was honestly even more enjoyable the second go. I want to see it a third time over the weekend with the Japanese dub.

Not saying this for anyone to respond to, just plopping this here in case it turns out I'm right 😅

if the big twist-change is that Scott loses the first battle and poofs into coins, then the rest of the show revolves around Ramona teaming up with the exes for something, then wow.

It would explain why I can't recall any footage in the trailers of Scott fighting anyone beyond Matthew Patel 😅

Starting episode 4 soon. Taking my 15 right now. No spoilers but by the end of episode 3 you get where they're going. I like where they're going with this so far.

Finished it. Liked it quite a bit. Really good all around. Loved the whole cast in this. Mary Elizabeth Winstead in particular felt well meditated as Ramona. Hopefully I don't have to fight anybody about it.

So after that divergence, we get an entirely novel storyline where Matthew ousts Gideon to become the boss of the league, while it seems Ramona becomes the de facto MC and her goal will be resurrecting Scott. Maybe.

This is pretty cool stuff! Only thing is I would have to withdraw my prior recommendation to my sister and advise her to at least watch the movie first. The Netflix series is perfectly enjoyable as a standalone, but it’s also clearly designed for those with the full context of the canon.

Just saw episode 2, I’m enjoying this a ton.

I was expecting a faithful adaption, so to get something completely different I have mixed feelings on. I’ve had experiences like this that I’ve adored (Final Fantasy VII Remake) and others I’ve been more let down by (Magia Record anime), but I’m very optimistic this is going to be super worthwhile from what I’ve seen and since to a degree I’ve had three versions of the source material already between the graphic novels / comics I read first, the movie, and then the game. Getting an all new adventure and seeing different sides of these characters is thus far very cool. The funeral and Matthew Patel vs Gideon fight were both excellent fun for completely opposite reasons.

Loving the animation and music too.

This show is just.................everything.

I already considered the original graphical novel series as my favorite books ever. Back when the anime was originaly announced I was simply excited to get that but with the addition of motion and sound, I ended up getting so much more!

I mean yeah, fuck it! This is my new favorite anime. This is my new favorite TV series. The only thing I want to do now is rewatch it 2 more times with the french and japanese dub. I know Netlfix rarely releases their show physically but I need to have this sitting somewhere in my room next to the books.

I can understand why someone would be disappointed after the first episode, but after the whole thing? No I can't relate sorry.

The epilogue is just ❤️

I am not posting spoilers for everyone’s sake including chocolate_supra

but I loved it

I was very concerned about what it would be when I saw the first trailer, and I’ve stayed away from info since

but I can’t overstate how much I enjoyed it

Just finished it, I thought it was a good show but I wish they would have been more clear on what this show was going to be. The comic story is still a lot better to me and I am still disappointed it wasn't a 1:1 adaptation. And people trying to dismiss people who didn't like it are pretty sad, that being said, I am happy I watched and I hope that someday they actually make the comic story come to life in a animated setting (though I am 90% that is unlikely now).

so i binged read all the graphic novels in a day to watch the show and while the end product is objectively good I would still call the execution kinda mixed because the show kinda lost a lot of the more grounded and realistic moments the novels had

Finally got the chance to sit down and watch a few episodes!

It's a weird scenario, what they're doing is REALLY COOL, but why lead people to believe you're making an adaptation if that's clearly not even close to what this is?

I feel like people would actually have gotten way more excited if you told them right off the bat this was going to be a sequel, but instead..... now a lot of people who would have been hyped are going to be upset or dissapointed that they didn't get the show they thought they were getting...... and newcomers are going to be totally lost what's going on, because they didnt read the books, because they thought this was going to be an adaptation!

I think the actual show is awesome, but I think anyone who feels betrayed by this is totally justified, it was just plain marketed deceptively. An adaptation like this was literally a dream come true for a lot of people and they were basically lied to about getting it. Even I'm kinda wishing this was just a Season 2 for the actual adaptation we thought we would be getting as Season 1.

I feel like I was excited for a chocolate cake, but they gave me ice cream. I love me some ice cream, but I was really in the mood for that chocolate cake!

Last edited:
Finished the last six episodes in a row. Loved it! Far better than I hoped walking in. Last two episodes were a little eh in spots, but even if I didn’t dig some of the why things were happening old Scott this was definitely a great adventure. Overall it was tons of fun with an awesome cast of characters and I laughed a ton. Can’t ask for much more there.

I know Netflix has an abysmal track record with this, but I hope this gets a physical release one day.

Finished the last six episodes in a row. Loved it! Far better than I hoped walking in. Last two episodes were a little eh in spots, but even if I didn’t dig some of the why things were happening old Scott this was definitely a great adventure. Overall it was tons of fun with an awesome cast of characters and I laughed a ton. Can’t ask for much more there.

I know Netflix has an abysmal track record with this, but I hope this gets a physical release one day.
I think some of that works better if you
followed both him and Hope Larson after they got divorced… 😬

god, I can’t even talk about some of my favourite songs from this without spoilers

I can't stop to think about it, my mind is just replaying scene after scene as if stuck on a loop.

Edit: someone on tumblr is attempting to make meme out of this, I approve the effort

Last edited:
still thinking about

looking at my wife with my jaw dropped saying “wow, her Emily Haines impression has really improved! …WAIT”

I’m going to keep checking on this thread until chocolate supra posts his thoughts lol. (And other people haha)

Watched the first four episodes!

I was extremely confused when Scott lost the fight with Patel because I fell for the “animated remake“ marketing, but it turns out that I really needed/wanted a show about Ramona as its own thing without even knowing it. I wish we could have gotten an animated adaptation that got into the differences between the comic and movie, but I am loving this show as its own new thing.

and I got so hyped by the fight in the video store between Roxie and Ramona.

also a certain moment in episode one made me think of Chocolate Supra 😅

So, I'm kind of interested in checking this out, but it's been ages since I read any of the comic or seen the movie. Will I be able to just jump in or no?

So, I'm kind of interested in checking this out, but it's been ages since I read any of the comic or seen the movie. Will I be able to just jump in or no?
it will probably jog your memory!

Just finished it!

I really LOVED the wholesome ending of the 7 Ex's getting redeemed (to an extent), patching up things with Ramona, and becoming buds with each other and the main squad. Reminded me a lot of Spider-Man: No Way Home, it's nice to see old villians get a second chance! Loved the was we got to see characters interact who never had time together before, and the deep dive into Ramona's point of view.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "Evil Scott" plotline. It's a cool concept...if it's not the same Scott that was the protaganist of the comics. I loved the way the comics developed Scott, and it would really sour the ending if this is what became of him years later. Thankfully I dont really think that's the case since Comics Scott/Ramona had that development and learned lessons in ways the future versions clearly didnt, but I'm not sure if that was the intent here. I'm atleast glad it's vauge enough that it allows for multiple interpretations/headcannons. Personally I think this could have been a version of Scott that never earned the "Power of Understanding", and thus he and Ramona never learned to properly communicate/understand each other, leading to the eventuall fall out, but that kinda feels like I’m getting into Copium territory.

Aside from all that, hopefully the tease at the end means they are confident they'll be able to get the cast/crew back for another go around and we'll see a continuation of this world!

Last edited:
This is a kinda unexpected takeaway from the series, but damn Michael Cera needs to do more voice acting. He's great in this!

I'm now 3 episodes in and loving it a lot! But.. I feel like the voice acting is a bit all over the place? Michael Cera is fantastic and I think I like this one even more than in the movie but on the other end of the spectrum we have Winstead as Ramona who sounds so incredibly bored in delivering her lines. I get that it's sorta her thing in the movie too but it just stands out here. The others are fine for the most part but nobody does as good as a job as Cera :LOL:

It may not be exactly what we were expecting, but it's what we deserve and by gum we're better for it

Seriously though I loved it as much if not more than the books/film.
The music was incredible, recurring jokes had me rolling every time and I don't even have the words to describe how excellent it is visually.
I only have two gripes (that would likely be addressed if they decided to do a second season/feature length special), Gideon was pretty fucking deplorable pre and during dating Ramona so his redemption arc(?) felt gross and the whole "tragic" past doesn’t make up for it. And I dont feel like Scott confronting his shitty future (sort of) really substitutes him confronting his shitty past. I know it's not his story anymore but I feel bad that his exes (aside from Knives) didn’t seem to get closure in this timeline. But hey its been a while since I read it so maybe I'm off base.

The music was incredible, recurring jokes had me rolling every time and I don't even have the words to describe how excellent it is visually.
I only have two gripes (that would likely be addressed if they decided to do a second season/feature length special), Gideon was pretty fucking deplorable pre and during dating Ramona so his redemption arc(?) felt gross and the whole "tragic" past doesn’t make up for it. And I dont feel like Scott confronting his shitty future (sort of) really substitutes him confronting his shitty past. I know it's not his story anymore but I feel bad that his exes (aside from Knives) didn’t seem to get closure in this timeline. But hey its been a while since I read it so maybe I'm off base.
I believe this is a timeline where Gideon never did those things. It wouldn't be the only thing they changed, apparently the Simon Lee story actually happened in this timeline.

I believe this is a timeline where Gideon never did those things. It wouldn't be the only thing they changed, apparently the Simon Lee story actually happened in this timeline.
I feel like they adapted out the whole "glow" storyline and Gideon building his own harem because those weren't elements that were in the movie and they probably wanted to still make this story work even for those who hadn't read the whole comic. The glow also doesn't start to become a factor until after the battle against evil exes begins so it's possible that the timeline change and Gideon getting usurped just prevents it from taking meaningful effect. Ramona still says that Gideon was an emotionally manipulative control freak, and he's one of the exes whom Ramona doesn't exactly "reconcile" with as she just calls him a loser and tells him to treat Julie better than he did her; plus it plays loose with a "redemption" since he still goes back to being evil, though I can see why people might feel he got the kid's gloves treatment by comparison given how abhorrent he was in the books.

The same more or less applies to the other stuff I think; Simon Lee as Scott remembers it is treated as canon in the movie per the Scott Pilgrim vs. The Animation one-shot, and the movie also paints Envy's breakup with Scott as a non-mutual heartbreak (both of these revelations were in Vol. 6 which wasn't out yet when the movie was made).

I do think they could've given Kim an expedited closure similar to the film though. Her entire arc is basically that she never really stopped loving Scott and was embittered over how easily he moved on from her, and Vol. 5 is when Scott makes amends and gives her closure. By Vol. 6 she almost indulges in the idea of getting back together with him until she realizes that Scott has a false image of what their relationship was like and that Scott still truly loves Ramona, but for the sake of the movie Vol. 5's earnest apology from Scott's side sufficed and I think that could've worked here too. Well, I guess there's limits to how much you can fit in an order of eight 23 minute episodes.

eeb094da1a1ac6a4e8d520c9f39c69cf3b4340b1.jpg

I can't believe I'm a Young Niel fan now

Back
Top Bottom