• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Samus Returns and especially Dread got great reception, can we finally recognize that Other M was just a fluke in Yoshio Sakamoto's career?

A luke would imply, that he made a mistake, while he clearly state in interviews that he was happy with the story of Other M at the time, which shows you how he isn't made to write a proper story nor that he really understoof the character Samus at the time.
Heck even in Fusion you could things going into that direction, but they weren't at a point where you would say that things are bad.
All that praise for Adam, of him being protrayed as this genius while Samus just follows along and go from A to B to C etc, which is still a mjaor downfall compare to Super where the game let's you to openly explore the world, without ever being too open.

Other M went so far and not only tries to assasinate the character Samus Aran but also dragged Adamthrough the dirt.
Adam was a narcissistic smart ass, who couldn't decide on shit beforehand and brought everyone in danger. How you decide for Samus not to use her standard weapons AND HER ARMOR and for everyone to split up, when they couldn't even do jack shit against the first boss?

Sakamoto gets rightfully criticized for that trashfire that is Other M, because he was in charge of this project. He was in charge of this story and both of em, Sakamoto and Team Ninja were to boneheaded to make proper gameplay/control decisions.

Now with Dread...
I don't know who was in charge of the story, but Sakamoto could have learned that was he DID was shit in Other M, but we could also say that Mercuy Steam understands the character Samus Aran well enough to make her the way she is in Dread. If someone can ask them, please do.
And we really don't know if we would have gotten Metroid after Prime 3 without Sakamoto, cause who knows how these things are being decided on at Nintendo? Maybe there are people who wanna make Metroid, maybe Nintendo said after the commercial Flop that was Other M, to take a break from the franchise and evaluate everything, cause we didn't get a new original Metroid for 10 years after that.

Now that Dread is a success and Prime 4 is on the way, I can sleep better with the thought of knowing that Metroid lives again. I won't shit on Sakamoto for upcoming games but will still continue to dunk on everyone who thinks Other M is a good game
We're really going to go "Sakamoto was only responsible for all the bad but everyone else was responsible for all the good" huh? Like, as terrible as Other M's story was. there's no reason to think that Sakamoto isn't also responsible for Dread's story. You can say a story is bad without trying your hardest to pull one of the series' creators from the project as if he never did anything good in it. This reminds me of when people were trying to pretend that Sakamoto was only recently brought to the series and wasn't a big part of the games back before Returns was announced.

Also, Sakamoto was behind other games asides form Other M, which does includes heavily story driven games. Maybe let's not place the blame on one really bad story as proof that a person cannot create good ones.

We're really going to go "Sakamoto was only responsible for all the bad but everyone else was responsible for all the good" huh? Like, as terrible as Other M's story was. there's no reason to think that Sakamoto isn't also responsible for Dread's story. You can say a story is bad without trying your hardest to pull one of the series' creators from the project as if he never did anything good in it. This reminds me of when people were trying to pretend that Sakamoto was only recently brought to the series and wasn't a big part of the games back before Returns was announced.

Also, Sakamoto was behind other games asides form Other M, which does includes heavily story driven games. Maybe let's not place the blame on one really bad story as proof that a person cannot create good ones.
Please read again what I wrote in regards to Dread and show me where I said or even know who was in charge of the story there.

And regarding to Fusion, I still stand by thinking it was a step down compared to Super in any regard, which includes the direction of where the story was leading into. Was it bad? No (like I said) but I wasn't a fan of it.

No, no, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that Sakamoto himself is some moral failure. The product he made has elements of moral failure in its treatment of women, that's all. I don't think he meant ill in any way. I'm just saying that it's different from just "a bad game" when the problem is the game has a grotty, misogynist feel.

Yep. And it has always been my opinion that this was the precise moment he went wrong. The idea that someone who had spent days exterminating an entire species because they are a galaxy level threat would suddenly pivot to maternal feelings towards a hatchling of that species... it's absurd.
I do agree the story is bad. Though in all honesty...I think the story could have been good. Even with everything, there were elements of a good story in there and the themes in it aren't exactly bad ones to explore. It's just that there are so many elements that none of them get proper screen time to explore, are tied to a story structure that is athema to the gameplay, and when it is mired in the gameplay it makes both worse.

Please read again what I wrote in regards to Dread and show me where I said or even know who was in charge of the story there.

And regarding to Fusion, I still stand by thinking it was a step down compared to Super in any regard, which includes the direction of where the story was leading into. Was it bad? No (like I said) but I wasn't a fan of it.

"I don't know who was in charge of the story, but Sakamoto could have learned that was he DID was shit in Other M, but we could also say that Mercuy Steam understands the character Samus Aran well enough to make her the way she is in Dread."

Like, as much as you all seem to shit on Other M you all seem to have forgotten that the badass movement portrayals of Samus actually do originate in Other M. Hell there are actually some decent moments in gameplay that actually show how Samus as she is in both Returns and Other M that are in these gameplay moments rather than the terrible cutscenes. Hell, it's part of the reason why the game's story does not work because the gameplay does not match the story which makes the already shaky writing fall apart.

Also, I was talking about the Famicom Detective Club games which are almost all story and despite their chunkiness as NES games they are examples of Sakamoto doing a story because that entire game is a story. Do I agree that Other M deserves to be a black mark on his career? Sure, but we don't have to go out of our way to retroactively pretend his entire career was somehow a fluke

"I don't know who was in charge of the story, but Sakamoto could have learned that was he DID was shit in Other M, but we could also say that Mercuy Steam understands the character Samus Aran well enough to make her the way she is in Dread."

Like, as much as you all seem to shit on Other M you all seem to have forgotten that the badass movement portrayals of Samus actually do originate in Other M. Hell there are actually some decent moments in gameplay that actually show how Samus as she is in both Returns and Other M that are in these gameplay moments rather than the terrible cutscenes. Hell, it's part of the reason why the game's story does not work because the gameplay does not match the story which makes the already shaky writing fall apart.

Also, I was talking about the Famicom Detective Club games which are almost all story and despite their chunkiness as NES games they are examples of Sakamoto doing a story because that entire game is a story. Do I agree that Other M deserves to be a black mark on his career? Sure, but we don't have to go out of our way to retroactively pretend his entire career was somehow a fluke
So you can not show me where I made Sakamoto responsible for everything bad that happens in Metroid and on top of it I never claimed that Sakamotos career was just a fluke. Super is still the best Metroid these is next to Prime, I love the Wario Wars games and in regards of Samus being a bad-ass:
Me and many others knew that Samus is a bad-ass before Other M. We didn't need some flashy moves from a shit game to know that for someone being a 6 foot 3, 200 pound space pirate wrecking machine, that constanly rescues the galaxy is a bad ass. Heck I just watch the ending cutscene from Prime 2 and now how cool she is. I look at short cutscenes from Prime and know that she isn't a bonehead but smart and cautious on top of being bad-ass.

But I will not pretend that his work in Other M was not catastrophic to the franchise and I will not give or take credit to/from anyone that worked on certain games without knowing what their contributions were. I don't know who was responsible for the story in Dread, nor do I know who ultimately designed the Map in Super etc etc.

So you can not show me where I made Sakamoto responsible for everything bad that happens in Metroid and on top of it I never claimed that Sakamotos career was just a fluke. Super is still the best Metroid these is next to Prime, I love the Wario Wars games and in regards of Samus being a bad-ass:
Me and many others knew that Samus is a bad-ass before Other M. We didn't need some flashy moves from a shit game to know that for someone being a 6 foot 3, 200 pound space pirate wrecking machine, that constanly rescues the galaxy is a bad ass. Heck I just watch the ending cutscene from Prime 2 and now how cool she is. I look at short cutscenes from Prime and know that she isn't a bonehead but smart and cautious on top of being bad-ass.

But I will not pretend that his work in Other M was not catastrophic to the franchise and I will not give or take credit to/from anyone that worked on certain games without knowing what their contributions were. I don't know who was responsible for the story in Dread, nor do I know who ultimately designed the Map in Super etc etc.
You are not understanding what I am saying. I am saying that Samus as portrayed as Returns and Dread are there in Other M. It's not a "Samus wasn't badass until Other M" it was "Samus as protrayed as a more action hero as depicted in Returns and Dread gets its start from Other M." That's part of the problem of Other M, because you play as Samus Aran then for cutscenes Samus is suddenly switched out with a complete different character whose characterization doesn't even match the character you were playing as before the cutscene started. I am not saying that Samus wasn't badass until Other M. You don't need to think I somehow forgetten the first seven Metroid games that came out.

I think Other M was just a case of him really wanting to capitalize on the Wii's Install Base without realizing he was going about the wrong way with it.

As someone who likes Other M there are obvious faults with it that could've been handled pretty early on with some outside feedback.
  • Pixel Hunts should've been toned down and easier
  • Controls should've been Nunchuck and Wiimote or Pro Controller

This doesn't get into the story/characterization though. It has been discussed a million times the issues that should've been fixed there. With that said, I like hearing more of Samus as I feel making her "mute" or minimizing her speech is a bit odd for such an iconic gaming character. Not every adventure of hers is going to be her going solo (At least it shouldn't be from here on out) so I think there's a lot of potential there even if it wasn't done well in Other M.

What did he mean by NES+?

I don't remember where the NES+ or NES Plus term came from but I know it floated around at the time. Sakamoto basically wanted a NES game with modern tech that can be only played with the Wii remote.

while Fusion wasn’t as bad as I remembered, having to take orders and be directed each step of the way by a robot man was lame when she never needed any help in the first three games to get the job done.
The first three games consisted of Samus exploring alien planets. Labyrinthian caverns, uncharted territories (for the Federation). B.S.L. is an official research station, so it simply makes narrative sense for Samus to have more direct guidance there. The GF want her kept on a tight leash. Additionally, from the very beginning, Fusion is all about creating an oppressive atmosphere, and having to surrender agency and control is a core element of that. Samus almost died, she's the weakest she's ever been, with the least amount of freedom she's ever had, being hunted by a mimic of herself at full power, and with her only "ally" being a cold computer telling her not to deviate from her primary objective. That's less to do with her characterization, and more to do with creating good horror and dread.

Even in spite of all that, in the end, Samus rebels against the orders of both Adam and the Federation, showcasing her headstrong devotion to her morals and conviction. She "teaches" the computer to live up to the humanity and dignity of the real Adam. Samus felt fear aboard B.S.L., but to feel fear is to be human. Her persevering through that fear, and still succeeding in her mission, is a huge part of what made her my favorite character of all time. I refuse to blame Fusion for the mistakes that Other M made, many years later. Samus was an absolute boss in Fusion.

Last edited:
The first three games consisted of Samus exploring alien planets. Labyrinthian caverns, uncharted territories (for the Federation). B.S.L. is an official research station, so it simply makes narrative sense for Samus to have more direct guidance there. The GF want her kept on a tight leash. Additionally, from the very beginning, Fusion is all about creating an oppressive atmosphere, and having to surrender agency and control is a core element of that. Samus almost died, she's the weakest she's ever been, with the least amount of freedom she's ever had, being hunted by a mimic of herself at full power, and with her only "ally" being a cold computer telling her not to deviate from her primary objective. That's less to do with her characterization, and more to do with creating good horror and dread.

Even in spite of all that, in the end, Samus rebels against the orders of both Adam and the Federation, showcasing her headstrong devotion to her morals and conviction. She "teaches" the computer to live up to the humanity and dignity of the real Adam. Samus felt fear aboard B.S.L., but to feel fear is to be human. Her persevering through that fear, and still succeeding in her mission, is a huge part of what made her my favorite character of all time. I refuse to blame Fusion for the mistakes that Other M made, many years later. Samus was an absolute boss in Fusion.
Yeah that’s the conceit of the game, but I don’t like the conceit of the game is my issue with it. I didn’t want to check in with a computer regularly when I just wanted to blow up aliens and sort out the trouble they cause. I didn’t need or want inner monologues when the game itself conveyed fear with grotesque monsters or being hunted by the SA-X. I didn’t need Adam to tell me the SA-X was scary or hint at where it would be next.

That said, I did enjoy it for what it was more on replay. The sections where you break out of the barriers of the mission (the green areas of the map) and go off the Federation’s script by finding upgrades you aren’t supposed to is cool. The section where you find all of the Metroids and do convince Adam to go against the Federation was my favorite part of the game 20 some years ago and still is today.

I’m not saying there isn’t good story stuff in Fusion, just that it was setting the stage for when Other M went off the rails by introducing Adam, his relationship with Samus, the idea that Samus takes orders from a guy not in the field who she sees as a father figure, and mid-mission inner monologues. Those elements that get disastrously misused didn’t just come from Other M itself, they were first introduced in Fusion for better or worse.

Last edited:
No, no, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that Sakamoto himself is some moral failure. The product he made has elements of moral failure in its treatment of women, that's all. I don't think he meant ill in any way. I'm just saying that it's different from just "a bad game" when the problem is the game has a grotty, misogynist feel.

Yep. And it has always been my opinion that this was the precise moment he went wrong. The idea that someone who had spent days exterminating an entire species because they are a galaxy level threat would suddenly pivot to maternal feelings towards a hatchling of that species... it's absurd.
Have you never read Ender's Game? The "hunt a species to extinction and then develop feelings of regret/responsibility for it" trope predates Metroid.

The problem with Other M is the story. The gameplay is (mostly) solid and fun. As far as I can tell, Other M is where Sakamoto got carte blanche on the story, and it was a travesty.

For what it's worth, I overall enjoyed the gameplay of Other M and saw potential in what it was. It might not have been what either team went into the project wanting, but something could actually be done with that.

I know a lot of people couldn't stand that element, though.

But I think the most reasonable concerns to stem from Other M weren't that Sakamoto can't make good games (anyone who looks at his record knows that's not true), but that it clearly telegraphed what he thought was important in Metroid and the direction he thought it should go, whether in characterization or in tone or the overall Theatre-Mode plot-heavy theatrical presentation.

People were concerned that all the different elements that defined Metroid were going to be tossed out, save for the veneer of some iconography. The general progression became more linear (which people also found issue with in Fusion), with abilities gifted to Samus arbitrarily based on plot dictation, rather than obtained through exploration. The tone was no longer moody, oppressive and isolated, though at times it might have reached back toward some of that.

I don't mean to delve too much into the plot aspect, simply on account of translation issues.
The video that's being passed around suggests that some elements are improved in the original writing (Samus being afraid of weakness beneath what we've seen of her, and perhaps even pushing her to appear that way, is an idea that could work), but I also feel it overstates how much better the story would be. There's still no reason for the Varia Suit to be turned off, and other plot points don't really work. But all that could just be one game written poorly. the concerning part was what it might mean for the franchise going forward.

So, yeah, anyone paying attention knew Sakamoto had a storied history of good games, including every single 2D Metroid, and one game with issues wouldn't mean he couldn't continue to make good games.
But Other M served as a look into what the franchise might look like going forward, what was deemed important and what could be discarded and what might be changed entirely.

But then there were also tons of people just calling him a hack, yeah, and suggesting he just couldn't make games. That's not the attitude I'm trying to look into here, though.

I did appreciate "any objections, Adam?" but I suspect the path to that appreciation wasn't entirely as intended.

They always give him some sort of supervisor/advisory shoutout in Prime games. He has ultimately little to nothing to do with those.
Which is why any concerns about the future direction of that franchise branch, with giant human mutants and a promised unhealthy obsession with Sylux, should be directed to the attention of Tanabe (who, I am compelled to add, obviously also has a lot of great games to his name).

Honestly, I feel like Other M is the kind of story that doesn't NEED to be told. Its basic premise is about a minor thing in Fusion - Samus mentioning that Adam Malkovich sacrificed himself for her to ADAM - which is then blown up into what is essentially a retelling of Fusion but with the player handholding cranked up to 11. It's the Star-Wars-Movies-Set-Before-A-New-Hope-Thing, where bits and pieces that work best as implied backstory get blown up into epics that, ultimately, fail to land because it's about explaining a piece of lore and not anything emotionally resonant. Really, the only positive example of a prequel about a bit of lore working well in my opinion is Ys Origin and that's because it has two non-canon scenarios.

I'd argue most people would've been happier had Adam's sacrifice been forever the subject of speculation rather than what we got with Other M in the end.

As Dread project went into a limbo at that time, clearly Sakamoto wanted something kinda similar to what we got in SR and Dread in terms of "Badass Samus+more action" gameplay but he didn't know how to realize his vision back then. He also wanted to see more of samus as a "human" but failed miserably lol. And then the best part: the stupid control scheme to make it like the "old school games".

Blend all these parts together and bam: you got the infamous Other M.

my brain is just trying to explain an unexplainable phenomenon. did not know it was a myth my bad
In this particular instance, at least, it's well explained and documented that Sakamoto came to the project wanting one thing, Team Ninja wanted something else, the controls of Other M are what we ended up with.
other m is not a misunderstood mediocre game in a stellar series. its just bad.
Are you referring to the whole thing? Are there elements that make you say this, whereas others might be okay?
What prompts the statement in context?
Honestly, I feel like Other M is the kind of story that doesn't NEED to be told.
And then there's this. Referring back to the Other M Translation video, the video creator argues that the story enhances Fusion in some ways, but the plot doesn't really add anything substantial that isn't implied by or couldn't be inferred from Fusion, beyond being largely a repeat of the plot.

Are you referring to the whole thing? Are there elements that make you say this, whereas others might be okay?
What prompts the statement in context?
right, there are no good parts lol. i keep seeing it pop up other m is a good game overshadowed by being in an incredible series (like skyward sword) and i just disagree. metroid prime 3 is a good game overshadowed by a an incredible trilogy. other m is a joke.

yeah, Other M isn't some misunderstood underrated good game, no matter how much some people want to retcon things into it being that way. It's a badly designed game with a bad story and bad writing and really, nothing that really redeems it. It's best as a forgotten misstep, a curio of a time when Nintendo may have contemplated moving the series in a different direction than the one that, thank fuck, it ultimately took.

The only good thing that came out of Other M is...

Remember him?

He's a good character stuck in a very bad game.

(I really wouldn't mind if he came back just to save the animals for you.)

Last edited:
right, there are no good parts lol. i keep seeing it pop up other m is a good game overshadowed by being in an incredible series (like skyward sword) and i just disagree. metroid prime 3 is a good game overshadowed by a an incredible trilogy. other m is a joke.
Someone who gets it.
Prime 3 was still a good game like Skyward Sword, but both felt shot compared to other entries in their franchise.
Prime 3 tried to be too much Halo at the beginning and the worlds were too separated, while Skyward had neat combat ideas, but the game didn't feel fresh and it was missing the scope of other games.

Other M was just a bad game in all regard. Control scheme where Miyamoto in 1995 would have said that this ain't it chief, a horrible story, a concept just copy pasted from Fusion, combat that was dull at best and frustrating against bosses (thanks to the controls) and map where you just run from save point to save point combined with boring environments, pixel hunting and boring music. Nothing in Other M stands out positively and those few aspects that weren't horrible, were nothing special.

I found this a while ago as a comment in a Youtube video. Unfortunately, I forgot who originally wrote it, but I feel like it's a valid viewpoint

I think in Other M, she was in a much more emotionally vulnerable state in general. Bear in mind that her reasoning, aside from chasing Ridley, for returning to Zebes in Super Metroid was to save the Baby Metroid. Not only did she have a level of maternal concern, but she had also thus far had a flawless track record with accomplishing every objective of a mission laid out in front of her.
And then the baby Metroid died. Not only did it die, but it died to save her life. That was her primary objective for this mission, and something she genuinely wanted to rescue. And now it literally exploded above her head and was raining down on her.
She failed that mission. The game says "mission accomplished", but I don't think it was. I'm fairly certain that she saw that mission as a failure, and suffered from a crisis of confidence.
Enter Adam. The one person in the Galactic Federation she still has respect for as an authority figure. She figured he could take the lead. Even though it may risk her life, she trusts his judgement more than her own.
Adam... kinda plays with that. I think early on, he caught onto her lack of judgement and decided to push her buttons. He deliberately made stupid choices, all to get her to start questioning him and wanting to do things her own way again. And I think it works wonderfully. After the Ridley fight, Adam's communication with her is gone. She's on her own again, and proceeds using her own judgement, letting herself use what she needs right when she needs it. Only when she's faced with a baby Metroid does she pause. Adam gives her one last push, and while she mourns the loss of someone she cares for a great deal, she comes out of it as her true self.
Granted, their storytelling could have been a lot better, and they could have had a lot more interaction given the long silences as you go from place to place. It's by no means perfect, but I can see what they were getting at.

Sakamoto has been perceived so strangely ever since Other M. Some fans even think he hates Prime despite being a series advisor.

Pretty much every great creative in the industry has a poorly received project in their portfolio, it's weird how Other M somehow undid the decades of industry defining he's done

I found this a while ago as a comment in a Youtube video. Unfortunately, I forgot who originally wrote it, but I feel like it's a valid viewpoint

I think in Other M, she was in a much more emotionally vulnerable state in general. Bear in mind that her reasoning, aside from chasing Ridley, for returning to Zebes in Super Metroid was to save the Baby Metroid. Not only did she have a level of maternal concern, but she had also thus far had a flawless track record with accomplishing every objective of a mission laid out in front of her.
And then the baby Metroid died. Not only did it die, but it died to save her life. That was her primary objective for this mission, and something she genuinely wanted to rescue. And now it literally exploded above her head and was raining down on her.
She failed that mission. The game says "mission accomplished", but I don't think it was. I'm fairly certain that she saw that mission as a failure, and suffered from a crisis of confidence.
Enter Adam. The one person in the Galactic Federation she still has respect for as an authority figure. She figured he could take the lead. Even though it may risk her life, she trusts his judgement more than her own.
Adam... kinda plays with that. I think early on, he caught onto her lack of judgement and decided to push her buttons. He deliberately made stupid choices, all to get her to start questioning him and wanting to do things her own way again. And I think it works wonderfully. After the Ridley fight, Adam's communication with her is gone. She's on her own again, and proceeds using her own judgement, letting herself use what she needs right when she needs it. Only when she's faced with a baby Metroid does she pause. Adam gives her one last push, and while she mourns the loss of someone she cares for a great deal, she comes out of it as her true self.
Granted, their storytelling could have been a lot better, and they could have had a lot more interaction given the long silences as you go from place to place. It's by no means perfect, but I can see what they were getting at.
Nah. Big fat nah.
She gave away the Baby prior to Super Metroid to the Ceres Space Colony because she thought the scientists could make findings that would help the civilazation and she was ready to pick up a new bounty when the Space Pirates in form of Ridley stole the Baby. Of course she had to go after them, cause she knew how dangerous the Metroid were in the hand of the pirates.
That the baby in the end rescued her in the fight against Mother Brain just happened, because the Baby thought Samus was her mother.

Adam on the other hand was portrayed in Fusion as this mastermind and a well respected person not only by her but also those who knew him in the GF. In Other M they made Adam look like a narsaccist, someone who not only makes stupid desicions on the back of Samus but his entire squad. And how long would he play his game to hurt Samus, til he says that she should stop with that shit? He didn't respect her, nor how should he know after she just entered the ship that she was mentally not up to tackle this task?

And yes, how would you not stop briefly and wonder why a Metroid is right in front of you, when you erdicated every single one of em? But that is also a problem, that she let her guard down, when she knew how dangerous these creatures are and that Adam could render her helpless with one single shot in front of one of the most dangerious creatures in the galaxy. The whole situation of when her suit works and not, compared to Fusion is an entire mess in itself. They had to amputate her suit from her in Fusion when she was unconscious, while in this game it is either activated when asleep or turns of when taking damage or being unconscious. What is it!?

The whole game is a giant plothole and potrays both, Samus and Adam, totally wrong and/or as fucking idiots.

I saw someone else on here criticizing the PTSD scene. I will say, unless the person playing has read the manga, they wouldn't understand the tragedy implied by the scene, and it would be seen as out of place, which makes sense. However, looking at that scene, knowing her relationship with Ridley, and also knowing how PTSD is, it's not that farfetched.

Think about it: by that point in her career, Samus has killed Ridley 5 times, and each time was no doubt an exceptionally cathartic moment for her. However, to see each time that the killer of your parents has come back to life, to see that the trauma of your past can't die, no matter what you do, would be more than enough to trigger panic attacks. And in regards to PTSD, these episodes can range from outbursts of violent emotion, to completely freezing up. And this isn't just Ridley. This beast doesn't have the cunning of her greatest nightmare. This is a wild animal that's acting purely on instinct, and will do whatever it's fully capable of to kill her.

It can also be argued that the reason these panic attacks weren't shown were simply because of technical limitations. However, it's clear that this component of PTSD has existed as a part of Samus' character since the days of the manga (assuming they're treated as canon), and perhaps was never able to fully be portrayed in a digital format to the extent that was desired until Other M.

And like any great artist, there are no doubts in my mind that Sakamoto had a vague idea for this character, and as the series went on and became more popular, then tried to flesh her out. There's nothing wrong with that, and I do think he made a valiant effort. However, that effort was misguided, and I do think he became a better storyteller because of it. Will Samus get high heels again in the future? Who knows? But at the same time, if the old games are anything to go off of, Samus is a woman comfortable with showing off her body, and there's absolutely nothing saying a girl can't want to kick ass and look beautiful at the same time.

I think even Fusion's ADAM is a terrible character, Other M just followed through on that concept and made it even more apparent how Samus' vision of him is that of a victim of abuse in a relationship with skewed power dynamics. She describes him as a friend, a close confidant, someone she thinks about after his death, and then both Adam and ADAM are portrayed as agents willing to betray her and obscure mission details in the name of the federations' interests (well, ADAM backtracks at the last second in the least earned turn in the history of the franchise, but still). Remember she is forced to use Adam in Fusion not because she needs support from her recent body-altering experience, but because they don't trust her, know she might find out about their fucked up Metroid experiments, and need an agent on the inside to control her and they know Adam is perfect for the job. Other M only shows why they thought that, so it's coherent. It just sucks, I think everything concerning Adam is rotten, I'm glad it's just a generic AI in Dread with no power over her.

Sakamoto has been perceived so strangely ever since Other M. Some fans even think he hates Prime despite being a series advisor.

Pretty much every great creative in the industry has a poorly received project in their portfolio, it's weird how Other M somehow undid the decades of industry defining he's done
Yep. There are people in the industry that should be (and have been) way more scrutinized for decisions they've made than Sakamoto has been for Other M.

I saw someone else on here criticizing the PTSD scene. I will say, unless the person playing has read the manga, they wouldn't understand the tragedy implied by the scene
I'm sorry, you can't excuse a bad scene in a game by citing an old, out of print, never officially available in English, obscure even in Japanese manga of questionable canonisity. I personally don't think cool, space action hero Samus Aran should have PTSD. Like, what's the point?

I'm sorry, you can't excuse a bad scene in a game by citing an old, out of print, never officially available in English, obscure even in Japanese manga of questionable canonisity. I personally don't think cool, space action hero Samus Aran should have PTSD. Like, what's the point?

Even if you really wanted to see Samus have PTSD over the events in the manga (for some reason), Other M is still total nonsense because of where it's placed in the timeline. You can't pretend that Samus is traumatized after she's had no qualms blowing up Ridley two to five times already at this point in the chronology. It's just incredibly incompetent storytelling no matter what angle you look at it from, and that's even before looking at how poorly executed the actual scene is.

There's definitely some stories that could be told with a Samus suffering from PTSD from 30+ years of bounty hunting and planet destroying adventures after having a tragi backstory, but Other M was not the way to do it.

part of my problem with Other M was that Fusion had a lot of the same issues. (took place on a ship, adam always telling you where to go.) so to see Other M take the baton in that direction it felt like that's where the series was going.

another aspect of Other M was that it was a victim of a classic nintendo mandate of forcing the dev to utilize console gimmicks in gameplay (see: Star Fox Zero).

we forgive you, king.
I think Nintendo will remain in the traditional control scheme from now on. I don't think they will go back to forced control schemes, like motion control on the Wii/Wii U.

I mean, at this point, with what we see in Metroid Dread, the manga kinda has to be considered canon. And Sakamoto clearly thinks it's canon as well, because he wouldn't have referenced it otherwise.

I mean, at this point, with what we see in Metroid Dread, the manga kinda has to be considered canon. And Sakamoto clearly thinks it's canon as well, because he wouldn't have referenced it otherwise.
images

The only Metroid manga that matters.

images

The only Metroid manga that matters.
I feel a bit like this is moving away from actual criticism, and more like picking and choosing the points in history that fit your world view.

When a game like this releases, which makes reference to past forms of media that you say have "questionable canonisity," then that canonisity is no longer questionable.

It's like hearing that something bad happened fifty years ago, but because it's not widespread knowledge, you believe it never happened. However, the moment the original person comes out and actually continues on in the same trend of that fifty-year-old event, it's no longer an unknown that the event happened, and you kinda have to accept that. For better or for worse.

I feel a bit like this is moving away from actual criticism, and more like picking and choosing the points in history that fit your world view.

When a game like this releases, which makes reference to past forms of media that you say have "questionable canonisity," then that canonisity is no longer questionable.

It's like hearing that something bad happened fifty years ago, but because it's not widespread knowledge, you believe it never happened. However, the moment the original person comes out and actually continues on in the same trend of that fifty-year-old event, it's no longer an unknown that the event happened, and you kinda have to accept that. For better or for worse.
My larger point in the original response is that a scene from an obscure manga doesn't automatically make a bad scene in the game good. Its like arguing that a shitty movie based on a book is good because the book was good. The story in Other M is bad. The manga doesn't change or excuse that. Also, I simply believe that having Samus deal with PTSD is a fundamentally weird thing to want to do, especially when couched in sexist gender essentialism bullshit. I would say the games are more canon than any manga, and Samus in Zero Mission seemingly kills Ridley twice in one day without blinking an eye, why should she react different in Other M.
And you comparing these claims to denial of history is spurious at best.

My larger point in the original response is that a scene from an obscure manga doesn't automatically make a bad scene in the game good. Its like arguing that a shitty movie based on a book is good because the book was good. The story in Other M is bad. The manga doesn't change or excuse that. Also, I simply believe that having Samus deal with PTSD is a fundamentally weird thing to want to do, especially when couched in sexist gender essentialism bullshit. I would say the games are more canon than any manga, and Samus in Zero Mission seemingly kills Ridley twice in one day without blinking an eye, why should she react different in Other M.
And you comparing these claims to denial of history is spurious at best.
Not once had I claimed the PTSD scene was a good scene. All I was claiming was that it works based on what we know of the character from all available sources, as well as what we know of PTSD itself. Could the story have been handled better? Absolutely, as so many others have pointed out. Is there a way in which the bulk of the story, including the authorization of various systems, could work? Absolutely. Unfortunately, we got the game we did, and we have to accept its place in the canonisity of the Metroid universe, because Sakamoto sure hasn't come out publicly saying its non-canon. In his heart, he still considers it to be canon to some extent, and I'm fairly certain the only reason he's stopped talking about it so much is fear over, what I feel, is an undeserved amount of backlash.

Not to mention, a lot of the complaints with the game can be reasoned away with logic. Samus' "mopey," unemotional monologues? Written in the past tense, and clearly meant to be as a debrief, which we can assume she would regularly attend to, being an agent of the Galactic Federation. Note she takes that same unemotional tone, as an individual would do their best to avoid getting emotional during professional moments. But in the present moment, she clearly shows emotion, being calm and soothing around MB and Madeline, or getting worked up about thebmetroid breeding program.

We know the authorization system for items was thought up as a gameplay mechanic, which meshed rather poorly into the story, but the system itself makes sense when you take into account what Samus can do. Should that system have bothered with auxiliary suit systems (i.e. varia feature, space jump, etc.)? Absolutely not. But again, gameplay reasons.

There's also the claim that this game made Samus rely on others for support and clarification, which we only really see in her interaction with Adam. The whole thing about him being a father figure is a bit out of place, once again considering what's known from her character as a whole, but if Samus is going through the formative years of her young adult life, she will absolutely latch onto someone whose decisiveness she can trust. It's a thing for stability, and although she grows out of it and moves on, she still has the memories of him having been there for her, and that makes her more willing to trust him going forward. Even with everything that happens between them, she knows his decisions are, more often than not, going to bring about the best outcome.

Again, the story doesn't work to the effect Sakamoto wanted, and the gameplay doesn't mesh nicely, but that doesn't mean it wasn't thought out.

tl;dr Bad story, okay game, lot of work put in, easily explained mish mash of a shit load of different problems, stemming from real world expert knowledge on similar subjects.

Trying to use narrative justifications for the deeply misogynistic couching of Samus's character in Other M is erroneous

The authors of the game's text, being the author, can make anything true. They are the author. They are not addressing an immutable reality. Whatever you see in the game is the way it is because of choices the author made, and canonical agreement is not the same thing as good reasoning in writing

It would have been very easy for Other M to not be wildly misogynistic, or to have Samus's character behave differently, or for her to not have to be rescued from death by men multiple times, or to not depower her so Adam can have a weird hero moment, or to have it in a different time period, or to have this same time period reflect a different version of the character, or to have Samus be a good version of Samus in general. The story would just need to be written that way

I don't think this quite works. It's equating a historical event that happened but which one might not have sources to believe -- or which one might refuse to believe --, but which objectively occurred regardless, with a fictional account that isn't readily available to people and which, though probably considered with some level of canonicity, could be deemed non-canon at any time by the powers-that-be.

Regardless, it shouldn't be required for key scenes to make sense.
That said, certain elements, as referenced, are clearly considered canonical. That doesn't make the use and requirement good, but I don't think that's necessarily your argument anyway.

Not once had I claimed the PTSD scene was a good scene. All I was claiming was that it works based on what we know of the character from all available sources, as well as what we know of PTSD itself.
So I have nothing against Samus possibly having PTSD; she's gone through a lot. The scene itself, in my opinion, was not handled well. And if you don't have knowledge of the manga, possible readings become limited to some less-than-preferable themes and imagery.

I've said it before, but Other M should have leaned more into those backstory elements, brought them into the game itself, used them for its themes and story. If the game is meant to delve into Samus as a character and who she actually is, all that is important toward the goal. These important elements of the manga should have been present, and different parts would have played into themes touched upon in the game we did get. And, well, if you want to have more focus on story in the games, you need to include the foundations upon which you're building.

We could have Ridley, the demon in Samus' life, she can't get rid of, he who killed and devoured her parents before her eyes and is an ever-present reminder, always returning to haunt her and bring this terror back.
We have Adam, who seems to be a father figure in some way, contrasted with the Chozo, who saved and raised Samus, gave her some of their own DNA, but who are never mentioned here for whatever reason despite utility in working through why Samus is who she is and how Adam actually fits into that.

All these creatures she's killed, brought back, just refusing to stay dead. And then Ridley, her own personal demon, a god of Death himself, returns. But this isn't delved into. Instead we have an allusion to a panel of a manga, which might contextualize some elements for individuals who know the reference, but which lends itself to unflattering interpretations for everyone else, and which just wasn't used well as a whole.

clickyesifno said:
Not to mention, a lot of the complaints with the game can be reasoned away with logic. Samus' "mopey," unemotional monologues? Written in the past tense, and clearly meant to be as a debrief, which we can assume she would regularly attend to, being an agent of the Galactic Federation. Note she takes that same unemotional tone, as an individual would do their best to avoid getting emotional during professional moments. But in the present moment, she clearly shows emotion, being calm and soothing around MB and Madeline, or getting worked up about thebmetroid breeding program.

So you could say this, and it makes a certain amount of sense, but then it goes into elements of the story structure which are weak. One thing is the overt focus on the Deleter, which is just dropped. One could say that the plot shifted and Samus had other things to worry about, but in a debriefing, one might expect she'd come to her conclusion on the Deleter's identity at least once she reaches the point anyone paying attention can put it together. It would be a big thing to leave out of a debriefing (and would, really probably state this much earlier and highlight clues and evidence).

Which, really, just points to the writing not being a highlight, which doesn't seem to be a position you take issue with.

clickyesifno said:
We know the authorization system for items was thought up as a gameplay mechanic, which meshed rather poorly into the story, but the system itself makes sense when you take into account what Samus can do. Should that system have bothered with auxiliary suit systems (i.e. varia feature, space jump, etc.)? Absolutely not. But again, gameplay reasons.

It comes across as something that was brought forth because of the story in order to address a gameplay mechanic, but which then alters the game structure in a way people didn't like. Different features, such as the varia suit, could have been left active and just not mentioned, for instance. Maybe some features go through the authorization system, but Samus manages to find other powerups she can assimilate, which allow her to circumvent obstacles before Adam's authorizations would have allowed her to go the normal way or through other pathways (and the authorizations still open up more areas, too).

Leave some systems active (especially the Varia suit, which doesn't need to be mentioned at all), find some powerups to assimilate that get around aspects of the authorizations, and have authorizations still have some meaning but be more logically incorporated: together, I think these would have drawn much less ire.

clickyesifno said:
tl;dr Bad story, okay game, lot of work put in, easily explained mish mash of a shit load of different problems, stemming from real world expert knowledge on similar subjects.

So, yeah. Bad story that doesn't really add anything (even things it would benefit from), game with various elements to enjoy and a control scheme that might actually have potential, certainly a lot of work put into it and anybody who says otherwise doesn't know game development, load of different problems that could have been avoided.

I think our overall takeaways are pretty similar, with the major difference being how willing we are to explain away or partition away the problems.

The manga doesn't add positive contextualization, either

Samus has the exact same breakdown in the manga as she does in Other M, for the same reason, against the same creature (Ridley). The big triumphant moment is her overcoming her trauma and her fear of Ridley enough to fight him and protect her friends

That scene in the manga is, perhaps, even worse than the Other M version, but it does highlight how Other M's scene isn't just bad in all the same ways, it's also redundant if one insists that the manga is required reading

The manga doesn't add positive contextualization, either

Samus has the exact same breakdown in the manga as she does in Other M, for the same reason, against the same creature (Ridley). The big triumphant moment is her overcoming her trauma and her fear of Ridley enough to fight him and protect her friends

That scene in the manga is, perhaps, even worse than the Other M version, but it does highlight how Other M's scene isn't just bad in all the same ways, it's also redundant if one insists that the manga is required reading

I do find that one of the core issues with Other M's story -- beyond just the writing found within -- is that the entire plot is redundant. Even that translation video posted earlier, when it tries to argue that Other M added to the lore and contextualizes elements later, really pointed to elements of redundancy, wherein additions and contextualizations would have been implied by and inferred from Fusion to start with.

The core plot is redundant; adding redundancy from a manga that is also made required for understanding said redundancy is, really, just consistency.

I still suggest that any elements from the manga that are meant to be carried forward should be included for reference in-game, to whatever extent. Again, we have so many elements that would have made sense to build around, especially given what the core of the story (not plot) and the themes are supposed to be, but all we have is this.

Now, I'll add that one doesn't typically overcome their trauma and push through PTSD one time and call it good from then on, but, again, that would have required a deft hand and great care, and nothing we got reflects that.

I just realized that we could have gotten Dread as a Wii game instead of Other M (I wonder what triggered the decision to make a prequel. instead). What an alternate timeline that would have been.

I just realized that we could have gotten Dread as a Wii game instead of Other M (I wonder what triggered the decision to make a prequel. instead). What an alternate timeline that would have been.
Dread was never planned for Wii AFAIK, it was originally conceived as a DS game. But it got shelved due to technical limitations as Sakamoto wanted to expand the SA-X concept, which ended up becoming the EMMI in the final game, and obviously that wasn't gonna work on DS.

Though as I pointed out on the first page, Other M was originally conceived by Sakamoto as a 2.5D sidescrolling game with parallax scrolling, similar to games like Klonoa and Pandemonium. That's where the NES-esque controls and the notion of "creating a Famicom game with modern technology" came from.

Dread was never planned for Wii AFAIK, it was originally conceived as a DS game. But it got shelved due to technical limitations as Sakamoto wanted to expand the SA-X concept, which ended up becoming the EMMI in the final game, and obviously that wasn't gonna work on DS.

Though as I pointed out on the first page, Other M was originally conceived by Sakamoto as a 2.5D sidescrolling game with parallax scrolling, similar to games like Klonoa and Pandemonium. That's where the NES-esque controls and the notion of "creating a Famicom game with modern technology" came from.
You are correct, it was never planned as a Wii game. I am just playfully imagining a scenario where Team Ninja + Nintendo made Metroid 5 for the Wii, and wondering how that would have been.

Blaming one person for an entire game's development is already starting off on the wrong foot. Regardless, not every project can be a masterpiece. I hate Other M for a myriad of reasons, but nobody who worked on it set out to make a bad game. Sometimes things just fall apart.

I'm sorry, but for all the reasons to hate the Ridley Scene in Other M, why is it always "Samus has beaten Ridley multiple times before, her trauma from the event that saw her parents die because of a monster should be nonexistent" as the main reason? Like, that has always been the least problematic thing about that scene. Trauma isn't a "I did X, this will never bother me again" thing. It's constant, and sometimes even if you literally beat your demons multiple times it can still cause huge mental harm.

But always, we get this "strong people don't ever feel pain ever again if they conquer it," which is just insulting to those who do suffer trauma and PSTD. Like, if anything, that one scene could have been a great exploration on how just because you beat your demons doesn't mean they go away and how they will always come back even when you think they're gone forever. It's not, because that scene is hamfisted, comes out of nowhere if you weren't paying attention to the dull overtly long dialogue, its main message horribly muddled because of said dull dialogue, is horribly communicated (the fact that people think the scene is playing in real time despite time clearly slowing down so it's far shorter than what it is shows how poor the cinematic direction is), and really only serves so Anthony gets knocked out for like 5 minutes.

Like this is why I don't like Other M, because there actually some good base story ideas in there but because they are done so horribly people have taken the exact opposite message of what strength and weakness is.

The problem with the Ridley scene is that it would have worked much more effectively if this was the first encounter between Samus and him since the death of her parents.

In fact, Other M would have worked A LOT better as a whole if it was a prologue to Zero Mission as Samus' first actual adventure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom