• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Samus Returns and especially Dread got great reception, can we finally recognize that Other M was just a fluke in Yoshio Sakamoto's career?

Yeah it's a bit stupid how some people will never let go of that "grudge" in some way while it's clear both Sakomoto and MercurySteam have a pretty good template for how to portray Samus going forward and they proved it in two games already (Returns and Dread)

Other M's plot is just that goddamn bad that it crosses over into downright offensive. Sakamoto does deserve some stick for that.

And thank goodness you're here to do that, lord knows absolutely nobody has criticised anyone involved in the development of Other M for the past decade.

If people have become aware of their mistakes and appropriately course corrected their ideas for their franchise, at some point the adult thing to do is move on

Sakamoto is more than just Metroid. People shitting on him for one game needs some perspective
A NintendoLife preview video on Famicom Detective Club had a mf in the comments saying "this guy wrote Other M, I don't trust his work, this must be badly written too", I was so mad lol

The overall skeevy and troubling aspects of Other M’s story have forever made me side eye him. Because what I thought about Samus clearly wasn’t how he envisioned her.

I always find it odd how harsh gamers are when someone makes a bad game or two out of like 15+ games. You should never expect perfection or everything to be great. He’s a legend. He’s got Warioware, Rhythm Heaven, Metroid, Famicom Detective, etc under his belt.
Miyamoto made Wii Music and Star Fox Zero and no one gives a shit. Neither game being bad really affects anything about his legacy.

People care about Other M because it ruined a legendary character - one of gaming's few legendary female characters who were there from day zero - and that damage hasn't really been undone. The game is still canon. It still leaves a terrible taste. And part of its problem is that it feels misogynistic, which verges into the realm of "moral failure" rather than "quality failure".

And that's the difference.

Title has reminded me. I really wish they would remaster Samus returns for switch, I have it on 3ds but the switch is a much bigger and wider audience and could help with some sales. I’m hoping dread will make the series more popular to consider things like that

Tanabe's track record is just really hit or miss tbh.

Like he was there for the entire Metroid Prime trilogy, Retro's DKC games, Luigi's Mansion 2 & 3, Punch-Out!!, etc but he was also there for gems like Metroid Prime Federation Force, Chibi-Robo!! Zip Lash (aka "buy this game or the series dies") and Paper Mario Sticker Star, as well as the other modern PM games but I guess people like those more.

Tanabe's career goes back even further than that.

Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario 2/USA? Super Mario 3? Link to the Past? Link's Awakening? Ocarina of Time? He's got credits on some of the best games of all time as a director, course designer and script writer (among some others), and that's even before the Primes enter the equation. So to say he's also lent his name and talents to games that may have also flown under the radar, or didn't land at all (with me, at least) just speaks to a guy who's had another lengthy career.

Dread is a direction response to a lot of the themes of Other M, but it's still not exactly what you would call a rejection

The two versions of the character are still compatible

Sakamoto's a very good producer for Metroid most of the time, but if he's ever given writing credits I would absolutely be holding my breath right up until the end of the game, just bracing myself for shit to go sideways

Miyamoto made Wii Music and Star Fox Zero and no one gives a shit. Neither game being bad really affects anything about his legacy.

People care about Other M because it ruined a legendary character - one of gaming's few legendary female characters who were there from day zero - and that damage hasn't really been undone. The game is still canon. It still leaves a terrible taste. And part of its problem is that it feels misogynistic, which verges into the realm of "moral failure" rather than "quality failure".

That...feels extreme. You're saying he fails as a moral person because of it? Like, there are a lot I don't like about Other M but to go "he is a moral failure because of this game"...like I don't know.

Whatever. I don’t care for your hyperbole.

The way people have talked about Sakamoto has always been kind of uncomfortable. Even in this topic you have people saying things like ‘absolve him of guilt’ for the grand crime of making a bad game. Like I’m sure people are saying it in a joking manner (or I hope so) but it just feels like a really weird and uncomfortable way to talk about a developer.

Sakamoto's a very good producer for Metroid most of the time, but if he's ever given writing credits I would absolutely be holding my breath right up until the end of the game, just bracing myself for shit to go sideways
To be fair to Sakamoto?

There's a lot about the localization of Other M that is lost from the original JP script. Which doesn't fix all the holes in the script or even erase all of its issues with Samus's depiction (because the JP version, too, doesn't spell out things clearly). But when the entire meaning behind certain lines is altered or outright omitted through translation, it's little wonder how it can garner a poor response.

As elaborated on in this reddit post, we've been wrong about the insinuation from Fusion's ending for nearly two decades, and that's because the translation left out some things. And that was with a game most of us actually liked! (Also peep the vid in the post, it's a good watch!)

Dread is a direction response to a lot of the themes of Other M, but it's still not exactly what you would call a rejection

The two versions of the character are still compatible

He also wrote the Famicom Detective games didn't he? The writing in those game was quite good, especially for their time. As far as I know, the only (albeit very, very big) writing misfire he's had was Other M.

Yeah, Other M betrayed a pretty troubling understanding of Samus as a character on Sakamoto’s part, no getting around that.

I do disagree that Dread isn’t a rejection of that interpretation of the character particularly given
the game ends with Samus wholesale rejecting her Freudian father figure who is flat out and literally telling her to be submissive, AND who is talking to her through the guise of ADAM

To me, that is a very thorough rejection of Other M’s central themes and it’s most troubling character dynamic.

I think that while Other M was a shit game with problematic depictions of Samus, Sakamoto has made amends for that with Dread. Whether it’s to placate fans or because he really does understand and agree with the criticism and wants to rectify it, I don’t know. I don’t want to get into the business of ascribing intent. The only thing I have to judge Sakamoto by is his work, and while Other M had many problematic elements, Dread had walked them back so thoroughly that I don’t hold that against him any longer.

No.

Fusion before Other M had a lot of cringy dialogue and weaker story elements. Fusion, in general, doesn't have a very good story, even if the overall themeing is pretty good.

Metroid Dread literally opens up with a lot of the same kind of stuff that were flaws in Fusion. It gets a lot better as the games goes on, and I realize that the game is kind of a response, in some ways, to Other M, but three games in a row with some level of cringe in them related to certain ideas is not a dismissal of past mistakes. Sakamoto is the linking factor between all of them, too, not just being the main story man but also given all three games where made with different development teams.

If anything, it just means Sakamoto has learned a bit and that he's working with a developer who better understands Metroid, and that maybe if Other M was the kind of Metroid game people were anticipating of the series they would have liked the game more even setting aside the bad story. The issues are definitely less prevalent than in Sakamoto's prior two titles, for sure.

From everything we know about the development of Other M it was just a perfect storm of bad decisions in a bad partnership. It started with Sakamoto's idea of a "NES+" game and Team Ninja wanting to make a 3D game. I don't think it had much to do with bad luck. Also, a fluke is generally used for something positive happening accidentally. Other M was definitely a misstep though.

Sakamoto's NES+ game would have been a great game.

Team Ninja's 3D action take would have been a great game.

But those two visions just DID NOT mesh.

Other M was the next step from Fusion and Zero Mission in terms of the bad depiction of Samus. I replayed all of the mainline games in preparation for Dread and while Fusion wasn’t as bad as I remembered, having to take orders and be directed each step of the way by a robot man was lame when she never needed any help in the first three games to get the job done. Zero Mission introduced the highly sexualized Zero Suit which forever damaged how people view Samus as a character. Other M has numerous story issues, from having to have her abilities authorized (oh no it’s hot and I’m dying, but Adam won’t let me turn on the AC, so this is fine actually), trembling in fear of Ridley (who she has killed like five times at that point!), the thumbs down scene (whatever that was supposed to be), and her bizarre relationship with Adam. Gameplay was fine, whatever, and did briefly shine in the Ridley and Phantoon fights.

The negative story of Other M wasn’t a fluke, but the important thing is that the lessons were learned and we are back on track with both Samus Returns and Dread.

I always find it odd how harsh gamers are when someone makes a bad game or two out of like 15+ games. You should never expect perfection or everything to be great. He’s a legend. He’s got Warioware, Rhythm Heaven, Metroid, Famicom Detective, etc under his belt.
Look to how some Nintendo fans trash Miyamoto cuz of one Paper Mario game. When you have a very long career, the chances of you messing up once inreases and thats okay

Yeah, Other M betrayed a pretty troubling understanding of Samus as a character on Sakamoto’s part, no getting around that.

I do disagree that Dread isn’t a rejection of that interpretation of the character particularly given
the game ends with Samus wholesale rejecting her Freudian father figure who is flat out and literally telling her to be submissive, AND who is talking to her through the guise of ADAM

To me, that is a very thorough rejection of Other M’s central themes and it’s most troubling character dynamic.

I think that while Other M was a shit game with problematic depictions of Samus, Sakamoto has made amends for that with Dread. Whether it’s to placate fans or because he really does understand and agree with the criticism and wants to rectify it, I don’t know. I don’t want to get into the business of ascribing intent. The only thing I have to judge Sakamoto by is his work, and while Other M had many problematic elements, Dread had walked them back so thoroughly that I don’t hold that against him any longer.
TBH, I wonder how Sakamoto came around to writing Samus as he did in Other M. Like, the dude can write well, with Famicom Detective Club. It's not like he's never written a story before or knew nothing about Metroid or Samus. And like you've said, he's gone back to the traditional characterization of Samus in the new titles. So what the heck happened?

Sakamoto was inspired to write the story of Super Metroid when he played Metroid II

The image of the baby Metroid imprinting on Samus touched him in such a way that he thought that it must have touched Samus, too, and that she would have very maternal feelings toward the infant

The entirety of Sakamoto's arc for writing Samus was begun in the writing of Super Metroid

That...feels extreme. You're saying he fails as a moral person because of it? Like, there are a lot I don't like about Other M but to go "he is a moral failure because of this game"...like I don't know.
No, no, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that Sakamoto himself is some moral failure. The product he made has elements of moral failure in its treatment of women, that's all. I don't think he meant ill in any way. I'm just saying that it's different from just "a bad game" when the problem is the game has a grotty, misogynist feel.

Sakamoto was inspired to write the story of Super Metroid when he played Metroid II

The image of the baby Metroid imprinting on Samus touched him in such a way that he thought that it must have touched Samus, too, and that she would have very maternal feelings toward the infant

The entirety of Sakamoto's arc for writing Samus was begun in the writing of Super Metroid
Yep. And it has always been my opinion that this was the precise moment he went wrong. The idea that someone who had spent days exterminating an entire species because they are a galaxy level threat would suddenly pivot to maternal feelings towards a hatchling of that species... it's absurd.

I don't think people are gonna absolve him for making Federation Force, either.
670698-metroid-prime-federation-force-nintendo-3ds-front-cover.jpg

It was clearly just a quick one-off experiment, and in fact Samus Returns was already in full development by the time it got announced.
But that didn't stop people from treating it like Nintendo had publicly confirmed that Metroid would never get a new "proper" game for the rest of human history, and that this game in particular was the killer.

Ehhhhhh

Doesn't Dread still more or less depict Samus as someone who takes orders from ADAM, though? And also portray ADAM in a good light? He's a good guy in the beginning and end of the game, and the twist only applies to """ADAM""" while you're on the planet, no? In other words, it doesn't really rectify Other M, it just draws a parallel to parts of that game, has Samus disagreeing with that parallel, but in the end brings her right back to where she started ... I mean even in the end she's still relying on ADAM (not that it's a bad scene, just saying that the beginning and end of the game don't exactly contextualize Other M as a mistake).

In other words hypothetically after Dread, Samus could crash on some other planet that for some reason actually is capable of housing ADAM, and she would still take orders from him and be submissive all the same. I get that her shooting """ADAM""" is supposed to be symbolic, but when ADAM is still treated the same way in the beginning and ending of the game .... I mean eh, I feel it's a stretch to see Dread as Sakamoto taking steps back away from the mistakes of Other M.

From everything we know about the development of Other M it was just a perfect storm of bad decisions in a bad partnership. It started with Sakamoto's idea of a "NES+" game and Team Ninja wanting to make a 3D game. I don't think it had much to do with bad luck. Also, a fluke is generally used for something positive happening accidentally. Other M was definitely a misstep though.
What did he mean by NES+?

Ehhhhhh

Doesn't Dread still more or less depict Samus as someone who takes orders from ADAM, though? And also portray ADAM in a good light? He's a good guy in the beginning and end of the game, and the twist only applies to """ADAM""" while you're on the planet, no? In other words, it doesn't really rectify Other M, it just draws a parallel to parts of that game, has Samus disagreeing with that parallel, but in the end brings her right back to where she started ... I mean even in the end she's still relying on ADAM (not that it's a bad scene, just saying that the beginning and end of the game don't exactly contextualize Other M as a mistake).

In other words hypothetically after Dread, Samus could crash on some other planet that for some reason actually is capable of housing ADAM, and she would still take orders from him and be submissive all the same. I get that her shooting """ADAM""" is supposed to be symbolic, but when ADAM is still treated the same way in the beginning and ending of the game .... I mean eh, I feel it's a stretch to see Dread as Sakamoto taking steps back away from the mistakes of Other M.
I'd argue:
Does Samus necessarily take "orders" from "ADAM" by checking in on those Network stations, which I should remind, are completely optional? I do not see Samus as being complicit nor submissive towards "ADAM" nor ADAM for that matter just because she pops by for a chat. If anything, all she could be there for are simple updates on the situation, but not once does Samus have to obey (and as a matter of fact, she can actively defy) "ADAM" or ADAM in any scenario. The only time she does listen to ADAM is when ADAM warns her about draining the ship of its energy. Every other time she just ignored ADAM's advice regarding the bounty of the mission not being correct/risk outweighing the reward, and simply trusting her instincts.

So no, she doesn't take orders from anyone in this game. You can even completely ignore the part about checking in with ADAM during the frozen section and during the last section, too.

Last edited:
I don't think people are gonna absolve him for making Federation Force, either.
670698-metroid-prime-federation-force-nintendo-3ds-front-cover.jpg

It was clearly just a quick one-off experiment, and in fact Samus Returns was already in full development by the time it got announced.
But that didn't stop people from treating it like Nintendo had publicly confirmed that Metroid would never get a new "proper" game for the rest of human history, and that this game in particular was the killer.

Sakamoto isn't attached to this game.

Ehhhhhh

ADAM (real and fake) doesn't really give you any orders the entire game. Even at the start it's clear that Samus was the one that wanted to take the mission since ADAM is complaining that the bounty isn't worth it. The rest of the game has "ADAM" give vague reconnaissance information like "try not to go in heated rooms" or "hey a Space Jump would be nice right around now." I can't think of any moments where Samus is outright robbed of her agency like she was in Other M.

Both Sakamoto and Tanabe have been unfairly maligned despite having storied careers that date back to the NES days. It's not uncommon to have a dud or two in such careers and if it weren't for these two backing the series Metroid would have been dead and buried long ago.

I enjoyed my time with Other M. It was actually fun to play (at least in side scrolling mode), and I loved the parts where it went over the shoulder in narrow hallways (how cool would a RE4-style Metroid be???). That said, the story is horribly flawed, though that may also partly be due to localization issues.

I'd argue:
Does Samus necessarily take "orders" from "ADAM" by checking in on those Network stations, which I should remind, are completely optional? I do not see Samus as being complicit nor submissive towards "ADAM" nor ADAM for that matter just because she pops by for a chat. If anything, all she could be there for are simple updates on the situation, but not once does Samus have to obey (and as a matter of fact, she can actively defy) "ADAM" or ADAM in any scenario. The only time she does listen to ADAM is when ADAM warns her about draining the ship of its energy. Every other time she just ignored ADAM's advice regarding the bounty of the mission not being correct/risk outweighing the reward, and simply trusting her instincts.

So no, she doesn't take orders from anyone in this game. You can even completely ignore the part about checking in with ADAM during the frozen section and during the last section, too.

Sakamoto isn't attached to this game.

ADAM (real and fake) doesn't really give you any orders the entire game. Even at the start it's clear that Samus was the one that wanted to take the mission since ADAM is complaining that the bounty isn't worth it. The rest of the game has "ADAM" give vague reconnaissance information like "try not to go in heated rooms" or "hey a Space Jump would be nice right around now." I can't think of any moments where Samus is outright robbed of her agency like she was in Other M.
Sorry, I think I miscommunicated my point quite a bit by adding some hypothetical stuff ...

What I'm moreso trying to communicate is that taking Dread as a refutation on Other M or Sakamoto walking back on it and its character implications is a big stretch, not that Samus is super submissive in Dread. I think the beginning and the end make it a real stretch to say that Dread rectifies Other M. Sure, ADAM is not acting like some big jackass, but the Lady shit still comes off as condescending and kind of annoying in the beginning. At the end, ADAM tells Samus not to start the ship because her power will destroy it. So you have ADAM being annoying in the beginning, and ADAM being depicted as a good guy both in the beginning and ending (and kind of a savior even at the end). To drive the "any objections, Lady?" type shit point home further - I'm pretty sure the biggest hint that "ADAM" is not ADAM is that he doesn't say that. Imagine one of the worst phrases in all of Metroid history being one of the only giveaways that "ADAM" is not ADAM, lol.

Also I'm like 99% sure Samus does take orders from "ADAM" in the game. I'm not about to comb through the games dialogue to find them, but I do remember for example the part in the game where you go all the way to an area you have been just to turn on the heat, specifically because "ADAM" tells you you should do it. I know that you only do it because you need to do it in order to progress, and "ADAM" is only "trying to help you" by telling you to do that. But still, I think that is a good example of how gameplay and story can intertwine in a way that portrays themes similar to say, Fusion. Samus (the player) still has to rely on "ADAM" there. I'm not saying real ADAM or fake ADAM are big jackasses like Other M, but if Samus is basically taking orders and has to rely on a somewhat condescending A.I. for intelligence .... isn't that more or less just some of the annoying aspects of Fusion and Other M carrying on? I don't think it was the worst of Other M that was the only bad part, Fusion already had a lot of similar stuff going on that was less than favorable, which is mostly what I'd compare with Dread when it is doing something similar. I'd be different if Samus rebelling against "ADAM" had consequences for her relationship with ADAM, but actually, depicting that relationship like there's nothing wrong with it is exactly why this game isn't a refutation of Other M. ADAM is still the good guy, so that scene (you know the one) that is probably there to make fans cheer is more like fanservice than anything meaningful from a thematic perspective, especially because that isn't ADAM. It's meaningless essentially in the Fusion/Other M equation.

Either way, ADAM is not really portrayed negatively, and I believe a lot of the worst of Other M just wouldn't make sense for a 2D game to begin with, so even if Other M was received well a lot of it probably wouldn't make it in here anyways. It's true that the worst is not here, but really, is that what I'd call rejecting Other M? Nah. And again, I'm not saying it is as bad as Other M, more so saying that its not a refutation and in fact just a toned down example of the themes Other M and Fusion represented. It's definitely the least bad of the three, though (never forget how bad Samus's monologues are in Fusion, because for some reason everyone does).

Quoted by: SiG
A lot of of talk about localization decisions as if the game isn't a misogynistic train wreck on a fundamental level. I think we just have to accept that Sakamoto can make good games but is weird wrt to women.
Truly the Jean Luc Godard of video games.

Sorry, I think I miscommunicated my point quite a bit by adding some hypothetical stuff ...

Also I'm like 99% sure Samus does take orders from "ADAM" in the game. I'm not about to comb through the games dialogue to find them, but I do remember for example the part in the game where you go all the way to an area you have been just to turn on the heat, specifically because "ADAM" tells you you should do it. I know that you only do it because you need to do it in order to progress, and "ADAM" is only "trying to help you" by telling you to do that. But still, I think that is a good example of how gameplay and story can intertwine in a way that portrays themes similar to say, Fusion. Samus (the player) still has to rely on "ADAM" there. I'm not saying real ADAM or fake ADAM are big jackasses like Other M, but if Samus is basically taking orders and has to rely on a somewhat condescending A.I. for intelligence .... isn't that more or less just some of the annoying aspects of Fusion and Other M carrying on? I don't think it was the worst of Other M that was the only bad part, Fusion already had a lot of similar stuff going on that was less than favorable, which is mostly what I'd compare with Dread when it is doing something similar. I'd be different if Samus rebelling against "ADAM" had consequences for her relationship with ADAM, but actually, depicting that relationship like there's nothing wrong with it is exactly why this game isn't a refutation of Other M. ADAM is still the good guy, so that scene (you know the one) that is probably there to make fans cheer is more like fanservice than anything meaningful from a thematic perspective, especially because that isn't ADAM. It's meaningless essentially in the Fusion/Other M equation.
I don't necessarily agree since
With the sole exception of the last Navigation station, the "ADAM" sections are skippable. Once again, that section you mentioned where "ADAM" tells you to turn on the heat, he asks you to report back to the same navigation room after doing so. While it is true that you can't really proceed until fighting Experiment Z 57, you can skip reporting back to "ADAM" altogether in much the same way you can skip the whole part of reporting back to him in Hanubia.
A lot of of talk about localization decisions as if the game isn't a misogynistic train wreck on a fundamental level. I think we just have to accept that Sakamoto can make good games but is weird wrt to women.
Truly the Jean Luc Godard of video games.
So are you saying Dread is still a "mysoginistic train wreck"?

I don't necessarily agree since
With the sole exception of the last Navigation station, the "ADAM" sections are skippable. Once again, that section you mentioned where "ADAM" tells you to turn on the heat, he asks you to report back to the same navigation room after doing so. While it is true that you can't really proceed until fighting Experiment Z 57, you can skip reporting back to "ADAM" altogether in much the same way you can skip the whole part of reporting back to him in Hanubia.

I don't think you can skip the ADAM terminals? The doors always lock you in. There are a few you can just choose to never go to but the ones that block doors on the main path are mandatory.

I don't think you can skip the ADAM terminals? The doors always lock you in. There are a few you can just choose to never go to but the ones that block doors on the main path are mandatory.
Weird. I thought
ADAM terminals could be skipped altogether, but I guess it's possible you could go around them.

I distinctly remember ADAM telling me to report back to Hanubia, and altogether just skipping that terminal as I made my way to Itorash.
Oh sorry, I misunderstood.

Both Sakamoto and Tanabe have been unfairly maligned despite having storied careers that date back to the NES days. It's not uncommon to have a dud or two in such careers and if it weren't for these two backing the series Metroid would have been dead and buried long ago.
It is really hard for me not to give Sakamoto a get out of jail free card for directing Super Metroid, one of (if not) the best games ever made.

Other M's characterization of Samus is inexcusably bad, though. It really is a shame.

I agree that Dread doesn't divorce itself completely from the worst writing of Other M

But I do think that

No I mean it for real these are full game
The fact that Samus takes instructions from Raven Beak (possibly knowing it's not Adam, since he doesn't share Adam's speaking style and she's very familiar with that) has to be weighed against the fact that she ends this relationship by rejecting his offer for continuing it, and then murders the Hell out of him

It is at least a response to the paternalism of Other M

I agree that Dread doesn't divorce itself completely from the worst writing of Other M

But I do think that

No I mean it for real these are full game
The fact that Samus takes instructions from Raven Beak (possibly knowing it's not Adam, since he doesn't share Adam's speaking style and she's very familiar with that) has to be weighed against the fact that she ends this relationship by rejecting his offer for continuing it, and then murders the Hell out of him

It is at least a response to the paternalism of Other M
Another small detail too is that
Samus tells Quiet Robe that she'll end it once and for all, which could mean it was her intention all along to get to Raven Beak in the end.

Also Samus doesn't even bother absorbing Kraid/Raven Beak's X parasite and just decides to blast it to oblivion instead. She just hates them that much that she doesn't even care about inheriting any of their abilities.

I guess Power Isn't Everything.

Last edited:
Weird. I thought
ADAM terminals could be skipped altogether, but I guess it's possible you could go around them.

I distinctly remember ADAM telling me to report back to Hanubia, and altogether just skipping that terminal as I made my way to Itorash.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood.
No problem, sorry for being so flippant

No problem, sorry for being so flippant

No need to apologize to him. You're right! Sakamoto has some weird issues with women, and Other M is an absolute, irredeemable disaster from head to toe.

Thankfully Dread is a significant improvement in comparison. While it's not perfect, it definitely benefits from the more restrained approach they took.

I like to imagine that after Other M, somebody spent a while standing over Sakamoto's shoulder, smacking him with a newspaper every time he tried to write what my partner calls "womb feelings"

Last edited:
I like to imagine that after Other M, somebody spent a while standing over Sakamoto's shoulder, smacking him with a newspaper every time he tried to write what my partner calls "womb feelings"
Sakamoto: "And then she says...'THE BABY!'"
smack
"Alright alright...She says 'ouchie ouch!'"
bonk
"Okay okay...Samus just nods, and then Adam says 'Okay I believe you!'"

Last edited:
other m is good actually...

nah, just kidding. I digged controlling samus in 3rd person though, even with that miniscule dpad

A luke would imply, that he made a mistake, while he clearly state in interviews that he was happy with the story of Other M at the time, which shows you how he isn't made to write a proper story nor that he really understoof the character Samus at the time.
Heck even in Fusion you could things going into that direction, but they weren't at a point where you would say that things are bad.
All that praise for Adam, of him being protrayed as this genius while Samus just follows along and go from A to B to C etc, which is still a mjaor downfall compare to Super where the game let's you to openly explore the world, without ever being too open.

Other M went so far and not only tries to assasinate the character Samus Aran but also dragged Adamthrough the dirt.
Adam was a narcissistic smart ass, who couldn't decide on shit beforehand and brought everyone in danger. How you decide for Samus not to use her standard weapons AND HER ARMOR and for everyone to split up, when they couldn't even do jack shit against the first boss?

Sakamoto gets rightfully criticized for that trashfire that is Other M, because he was in charge of this project. He was in charge of this story and both of em, Sakamoto and Team Ninja were to boneheaded to make proper gameplay/control decisions.

Now with Dread...
I don't know who was in charge of the story, but Sakamoto could have learned that was he DID was shit in Other M, but we could also say that Mercuy Steam understands the character Samus Aran well enough to make her the way she is in Dread. If someone can ask them, please do.
And we really don't know if we would have gotten Metroid after Prime 3 without Sakamoto, cause who knows how these things are being decided on at Nintendo? Maybe there are people who wanna make Metroid, maybe Nintendo said after the commercial Flop that was Other M, to take a break from the franchise and evaluate everything, cause we didn't get a new original Metroid for 10 years after that.

Now that Dread is a success and Prime 4 is on the way, I can sleep better with the thought of knowing that Metroid lives again. I won't shit on Sakamoto for upcoming games but will still continue to dunk on everyone who thinks Other M is a good game

It's wild to me how much some people fixate on one or two misfires and ignore all the great things a person has done. Same thing with Tanabe, Miyamoto and other Nintendo devs. They have proven time and time again they understand their respective series.

I also want to pretend that game does not exist. Honestly, every time I remember how horrible the game was, I get pretty sick.

It's true that 2D Metroid games exist thanks to him, that he's been fighting inside Nintendo for Super, Fusion, Zero Mission, Samus Returns and Dread to become reality, that these games would not exist if it wasn't for him. But we must also admit that he nearly killed his franchise with that monstrosity.

Back
Top Bottom