• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

Finally did it, finished Chained Echoes. Yep, it's gonna be a personal favorite for me. I think Glenn giving the power of the 8th True King to Kylian the chronic backstabber was HIGHLY irresponsible, but thematically it makes sense for him to let go and properly reenter the cycle of reincarnation.

Really invested in Baten Kaitos at the moment. Tried the 200% battlespeed, but that’s a bit too add for me. Can’t select the defense cards quick enough ha.

Need to rearrange my decks though, too many useless turns at the moment.

I dunno if it classifies as an RPG… but also started with Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin. Its far better than I expected. Storywise it’s absolutely early 2000’s edgelord

I’m on the final battle of Octopath Traveler II and I got wiped on the final rounds with some bad luck. I lost well over an hour of time :/

I’ll regroup tomorrow I guess :/ At the very least, I’ve been hoarding a ton of nuts so I can boost everyone’s stats a bit before trying again.

Last edited:
Played the first hour of Chained Echoes. I really like it! Smart characters, very little bloat, and the level up system means there’s no reason to grind. Just moves along at a great pace with a surprise around every corner. Awesome!

Played the first hour of Chained Echoes. I really like it! Smart characters, very little bloat, and the level up system means there’s no reason to grind. Just moves along at a great pace with a surprise around every corner. Awesome!
Fwiw there is a reason to grind, all fights give sp which you can use to level up your learned abilities. Said abilities also will slowly master themselves if they are equipped and used in battle. You can't over level by grinding, but you can make your attacks hit harder or boost the length of buffs/debuffs by leveling abilities.

Fwiw there is a reason to grind, all fights give sp which you can use to level up your learned abilities. Said abilities also will slowly master themselves if they are equipped and used in battle. You can't over level by grinding, but you can make your attacks hit harder or boost the length of buffs/debuffs by leveling abilities.
Ah I can see now. The level of SP gain seems very low- I’m getting 2-3 per fight and the first upgrade for one character is 250 SP!

I’m on the final battle of Octopath Traveler II and I got wiped on the final rounds with some bad luck
Damn, good luck on your next go at it!

Played the first hour of Chained Echoes. I really like it! Smart characters, very little bloat, and the level up system means there’s no reason to grind. Just moves along at a great pace with a surprise around every corner.
Oh yeah, I love the pacing in Chained Echoes a lot. As for grinding, I never had to go out of my way to grind. Could always find a way out of any challenge with some planning.

I’m on the final battle of Octopath Traveler II and I got wiped on the final rounds with some bad luck. I lost well over an hour of time :/

I’ll regroup tomorrow I guess :/ At the very least, I’ve bean hoarding a ton of nuts so I can boost everyone’s stats a bit before trying again.
Yeah good luck Ghost! I totally ate every damn nut before the endgame

While this is true, I never found any reason to grind. Just fight most of what you organically encounter as you explore and you'll be fine - unless you're really trying to unlock tons of abilities on every character (which is mostly pointless given how limited slots are) then it's not worth it

While this is true, I never found any reason to grind. Just fight most of what you organically encounter as you explore and you'll be fine - unless you're really trying to unlock tons of abilities on every character (which is mostly pointless given how limited slots are) then it's not worth it
I unlocked everything on everyone late game and maxed everything out. More out of a compulsive need to do so.

I'm not saying you HAVE to grind, just that there is a reason you could if you wanted to/if you did hit a wall grinding up some skills could help, especially for the mech battles with how stat unlocks work for them

Really invested in Baten Kaitos at the moment. Tried the 200% battlespeed, but that’s a bit too add for me. Can’t select the defense cards quick enough ha.

Need to rearrange my decks though, too many useless turns at the moment.

I dunno if it classifies as an RPG… but also started with Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin. Its far better than I expected. Storywise it’s absolutely early 2000’s edgelord
Plan to get both of these but waiting for sales to hit a certain point. Also I remember getting hit by BK second disk difficulty bump and not going back DX

Thanks to strategically eating the mountain of nuts I had saved up to shore up weaknesses and make my strengths stronger, and the encouragement from both @meatbag and @PixelKnight , my rematch against the final boss of Octopath Traveler II proceeded smoothly and ended in triumph when Osvald let loose one last triple powered One True Magic Kamehameha blast and wiped it from existence. Relieved to have finally finished the game after 83.5 hours of adventure. I’ll write up some more thoughts later, but I had a good time overall!

Having a hard time focusing on another game after finishing Persona 3 this weekend, the post-Persona blues are real.

I know my next JRPG to finish is FFX, but part of me wants to at least get started on the Battle Network collection. A shorter RPG might be nice.

So Persona 3 Reload, Like a Dragon Infinite wealth and Unicorn overlord... We're really feasting early this year. Thank you, Sega.
Sega with the Square strategy of "yeah just release them all at once, what could go wrong?"

At least I'm still 2 Personas behind (I promise I'll maybe continue Golden someday. Maybe) so I only have to worry about Yakuza and Unicorn

So Persona 3 Reload, Like a Dragon Infinite wealth and Unicorn overlord... We're really feasting early this year. Thank you, Sega.
I'm good right now. Only one of those releases on Switch and I'm waiting on reviews for Unicorn (although I'm sure the OST is going to be exquisite). I've yet to actually play any Vanillaware games and to be honest the last thing I need for my backlog is another studio to follow.

I actually own Odin Sphere (PS2) and Muramasa (Wii) and they're still in shrink. Please send help.

Thought people here would enjoy Game Informer did a rapid fire interview with the director Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. It’s a fun one!

Not sure what I’m working on this weekend. Tempted to start LAD7, though maybe I’ll see if I can get going on something I started… or Golden sun for a revisit

So I need some help/direction. I really want to get through each of Octopath II, Xenoblade 3 and FF XVI. I also would like to play FF VII Rebirth when that comes out.

What’s the easiest of these games to drop and come back to after Rebirth?

So I need some help/direction. I really want to get through each of Octopath II, Xenoblade 3 and FF XVI. I also would like to play FF VII Rebirth when that comes out.

What’s the easiest of these games to drop and come back to after Rebirth?
I’ll take this to mean in the sense if you were in the direct middle of playing it and you stopped, I’d say Octopath Traveler II due to the chapter structure and strictly turned based combat is easier to pick back up. Personally it isn’t too hard to get back into Xenoblade either for the combat since it is deceptively more simple than it looks on the gameplay front, but you’d want to stop at an obvious break point in the story if you dropped it. FFXVI I’d say is the most difficult. The battle system isn’t super complicated, but it definitely has a unique rhythm to it all the same. Took me about an hour to get comfortable with it again between beating it at launch and playing the DLC five months later.

I’ll take this to mean in the sense if you were in the direct middle of playing it and you stopped, I’d say Octopath Traveler II due to the chapter structure and strictly turned based combat is easier to pick back up. Personally it isn’t too hard to get back into Xenoblade either for the combat since it is deceptively more simple than it looks on the gameplay front, but you’d want to stop at an obvious break point in the story if you dropped it. FFXVI I’d say is the most difficult. The battle system isn’t super complicated, but it definitely has a unique rhythm to it all the same. Took me about an hour to get comfortable with it again between beating it at launch and playing the DLC five months later.
Thank you! This is really helpful.

I haven't played either of those other two games but I stopped playing Xenoblade 3 for months most of the way into it because I burned out trying to do all the side stuff and didn't have any issues getting back into it when I did come back to it

I also put down Xenoblade Chronicles 3 for a couple of months after I made it to chapter six because the pacing really slowed down. Playing it for a hundred hours without playing anything else might have also been a factor....

I just rolled credits on Triangle Strategy and all I can say is wow. I don't know why I took so long to play it (I bought it on Black Friday 2022). For context, I
beat it in the Frederica route, but I plan to do all of the three available to you on Chapter 17 (given that I saved), and then in the future do New Game + to reach the ultimate ending so to speak.

Where to start. First of all, I think this is a title that respects the player time and I really liked that despite losing a battle you retain your experience and the items you employed get "reset". That way, the bulk of the frustration for losing goes away and it encourages you to retry battles even if you are not 100% prepared. Secondly, from a tactical perspective, I found the fact that each unit is unique and has its own abilities very interesting since in other tactical RPGs series (i.e. Fire Emblem) I tend to rely on "what works" and completely discard certain classes. It forces you to get "out of the comfort zone".. The upgrade system is well timed and the game is not generous so unless you grind materials you will be forced to be quite strategic about your choices.

Furthermore, I found that Triangle Strategy to be remarkably punishing from a damage standpoint. Obviously, there is no permadeath (thank goodness), but you will learn quite quick that leaving a unit on its own is almost always a death sentence. As a result, the game forces you to play quite conservatively and rely on several ways of attacking. I personally found throughout my play-through archers to be particularly useful, as well as Anna, the spy. A distinguishing traits that, in my opinion, helps make the game more dynamic is the fact that turns are unit based and not allies/enemy as in Fire Emblem, which adds another layer from an strategical standpoint.

Apart from the well-crafted strategic combat system and its gorgeous HD-2D visuals, the story is top-notch. The lore is very deep, it really pulls you in and the game really reflects the particularities of the medieval politics. On top of that, the Scales of Conviction system is amazing and the game forces you to make very difficult choices.

To me, although I beat it today and I could change my mind after thinkiing about it more, I would put it on my Switch Top 3 (definitely top 5); alongside Zelda BOTW and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Moreover, I would say that it is my second favorite tactical RPG behind Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. If you like tactical RPGs, you owe it to yourself to play it.

I'm only a few hours in, but Super Mario RPG is delightful. It's so pretty and sounds great. Plus, the script is really fun. Is it sacrilegious to say I think I may end up liking it more than Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster? I just beat that right before starting SMRPG, and this is my first time playing both games.

Sooo Chained Echoes

Wow. I’m at the point where I’ve got the sky armour suits and an airship, and the game opens up.

I’m very much in choice paralysis here. I want to go round old areas and see what I can find with the suits. And chase side quests. And explore. And find recruits for the base. But there’s sooo much to do and so many places to go! Great stuff, I guess I’m just gonna pick a direction to go in. Not sure about sky armour upgrades yet, there’s a whole new wave of weapons and armour to upgrade for the party members too. I guess I could just chase the main quest for a bit…

Based on everyone's feedback, I've decided to focus on Xenoblade 3 for now. I'm currently 11 hours in and on Chapter 3. Enjoying it so far and definitely interested to see where the story goes.

Of course, this thread has reminded me that I also have Triangle Strategy in my backlog. It's a bit further down on the priority list but I definitely want to get back to it in the relatively near future.

When it comes to fusing personas in any Persona game, I just select two (or three) that will combine to be a higher level, and then hope for the best. Still can't get a handle on this system, and doubt I ever will.
Yup, that's me too. Everytime I see the guides anf faqs on "how to create the perfect persona" and you pretty much have to become an eugenics experts I'm like "not learning this bullshit, you and you, merge" and hope for the best.

Same with FE Awakening "YOU DIDN'T JOIN X WITH Y TO HAVE Z CHILDREN??? You wasted an awesome ability, better restart the game"

Yup, that's me too. Everytime I see the guides anf faqs on "how to create the perfect persona" and you pretty much have to become an eugenics experts I'm like "not learning this bullshit, you and you, merge" and hope for the best
Halfway through 5 Royal I just ended up rocking one that had a bunch of good attacks plus a healing move and that was the end of my fusion journey in that game.

When it comes to fusing personas in any Persona game, I just select two (or three) that will combine to be a higher level, and then hope for the best. Still can't get a handle on this system, and doubt I ever will.
Wait until you try a SaGa game with Monsters and trying to deal with mutating them 😂

In my very sporadic ongoing playthrough of P4G, I just really prefer how SMT handles the whole demon fusion/raising aspect. I actually feel like I have a better grasp of planning out my team there, partly because it's more relevant what demons I have available and what "slots" I need to fill. Plus demons actually level up at some point and I'm not convinced Personas do

Basically Persona needs an EXP share dammit

That's how I've been playing every MegaTen title and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.
Wait until you try a SaGa game with Monsters and trying to deal with mutating them 😂
That reminds me of when my cousin was playing Final Fantasy Legend years ago and managed to mutate a really powerful monster, then ruined it by feeding it some random meat.

Generally speaking unless you’re trying for weird stat shenanigans or crazy min maxing that’s not at all worth it in Persona, the fusing is almost exactly the same as in SMT: Mostly you just care about their moves and sometimes their resists/blocks. The usual strategy is just level up a persona until it learns all the moves it gains by level up, and then fuse it away. They level up significantly slower after this point so it’s not generally worth keeping them around.

You can kind of build Personas based on type (buffs/debuffs, healing, magic attack, physical attack) as well but it’s usually pretty loose and freeform unless you’re specifically making like… an endgame persona.

The tldr is that it doesn’t matter a ton in Persona and you can kind of go as deep with it as you want to. The game gives you so many tools and other things and your party member personas fill so many gaps that you’ll do fine for the most part.

Still chipping away at Chained Echoes. This is a really good rpg, but one thing I really appreciate is that the economy isn’t broken in the second hand of the game. Equipping your ever-expanding party with incrementally-better kit that needs money and materials to upgrade is just tinkering that never seems to end. I’m permanently short of cash and look forward to trading in loot for it, that I then spend on the deals that unlock and forget I needed to upgrade a ton of stuff.

but one thing I really appreciate is that the economy isn’t broken in the second hand of the game
Heck yeah! It never feels like you have too much stuff. It helps that the combat has enough bite that it incentivizes using your stuff rather than trying to power-level through the challenges.

Heck yeah! It never feels like you have too much stuff. It helps that the combat has enough bite that it incentivizes using your stuff rather than trying to power-level through the challenges.
Yeah I like that, everyone is rarely more than 2-3 solid hits from death, and you can’t overwhelm the enemy quickly, so stuff like poison and bleed that do damage over time become viable tactics. Plus your HP/MP is restored after each fight, so it’s less about conserving resources over multiple battles and more about using them well in each battle.

Late game heavy spoiler moment regarding Ba’Thraz
Oh man the reason Ba’Thraz has been referring to himself as ‘we’ all game 😭

Last edited:
It has come my attention that, among others poorly spread release dates, Eiyuden and SaGa Emerald Beyond are releasing a couple of days apart from each other

I've been playing Tales of Xillia for the first time anyway...i'm having a good time tbh. Combat is pretty fun and i like the character progression system, visually it's very obviously a mid-budget PS3 game but the towns i've visited so far still look pretty good i think. Fields...not so much. Symphonia-to-Vesperia dungeons weren't anything mind blowing but they were still better than this boring ass open fields (but i admit my bias for fixed camera angles may be speaking in this case).

What a banger of a opening though!

I've been playing Tales of Xillia for the first time anyway...i'm having a good time tbh. Combat is pretty fun and i like the character progression system, visually it's very obviously a mid-budget PS3 game but the towns i've visited so far still look pretty good i think. Fields...not so much. Symphonia-to-Vesperia dungeons weren't anything mind blowing but they were still better than this boring ass open fields (but i admit my bias for fixed camera angles may be speaking in this case).

I really like Xillia, probably more than most. The dungeons aren't great and the fields (the 'connecting areas' basically) aren't either, but pretty much all of the main more crafted locations look pretty nice. I really like some of the things the game does especially later into the plot, too.

It has come my attention that, among others poorly spread release dates, Eiyuden and SaGa Emerald Beyond are releasing a couple of days apart from each other

Yeah the fields in Xillia are quite uninspiring. I also like that every town has an identical port if they have one lol. If you end up liking the game, I really dug the sequel a bunch.

Hope they bring these games back one day with Graces F too.

That's a possibility too! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
well... i bought neo TWEWY and... i'm having a hard time liking it! 😭

i actually really enjoy the battle mechanics and all the other little gameplay elements but oh my GOD, i feel like i'm being stopped by some ridiculous dialogue every other minute. is it like this the entire game?! i feel like i can barely play anything without being stopped by some dialogue cutscene only for the team to have another cutscene right after that discussing what just happened in said cutscene. it feels sooo stop-and-go.

also, nagi literally makes me want to quit every time she talks. not sure if people generally like her, but she is pretty insufferable to me - so aggressively otaku.

is it like this the entire game?!
I would say no, but the stop-and-go feeling sticks around longer than I would have liked.

also, nagi literally makes me want to quit every time she talks. not sure if people generally like her, but she is pretty insufferable to me - so aggressively otaku
She is personally at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of characters, yeah. I generally felt less enthused about the NEO protagonists compared to the original's, but uhh (slight spoiler) there's kind of a lore reason for it.

I would say no, but the stop-and-go feeling sticks around longer than I would have liked.

She is personally at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of characters, yeah. I generally felt less enthused about the NEO protagonists compared to the original's, but uhh (slight spoiler) there's kind of a lore reason for it.
well, i'm gonna keep giving it a go because i like most things about it aside from that, so hopefully i'll hit a stride and start enjoying it more. i'm probably a little less than 10 hours in as of now.

ohhh, interesting. is the reason explained in this game or is it something you would only know if you played the original?

Back
Top Bottom