• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

~15 hours through Final Fantasy X. I am currently going through the Lightning Plains. So far it mostly a linear experience, but I feel like I read that before somewhere that the game doesn't open up for exploration until later.

Someone slap me if I am wrong, but it feels like equipment isn't much of a focus in this game. It is all about leveling up with the sphere system. Game so far is providing to be difficult, but not too difficult. No boss has taken more than three times to beat. I've run low on Yuna's MP from healing after battles right as I reached the next town/save point. I'll assume that I am leveling up just fine. I think I could do a better job with getting my team stronger so that fights didn't drag out so long, but it is what it is. Lulu is definitely the MVP so far.

Looking forward to playing more tomorrow.
Apparently make sure if you want something get it while you’re there cause international/HD added in some nasty superbosses as backtracking gates.

I’m working on 8 or 9 right now. I have both started but haven’t gotten teeth in either yet. Leaning 9

~15 hours through Final Fantasy X. I am currently going through the Lightning Plains. So far it mostly a linear experience, but I feel like I read that before somewhere that the game doesn't open up for exploration until later.

Someone slap me if I am wrong, but it feels like equipment isn't much of a focus in this game. It is all about leveling up with the sphere system. Game so far is providing to be difficult, but not too difficult. No boss has taken more than three times to beat. I've run low on Yuna's MP from healing after battles right as I reached the next town/save point. I'll assume that I am leveling up just fine. I think I could do a better job with getting my team stronger so that fights didn't drag out so long, but it is what it is. Lulu is definitely the MVP so far.

Looking forward to playing more tomorrow.
FFX is kind of a straight line the whole way through. At the end though you can return to spots on the line with the airship.

I ordered through NISA for the LE and they just charged for it the other day and are getting ready for shipping. Sadly the runs for these games are small unless they do reprints down the road. Copies of Zero were sold out in November when it barely came out in September. You definitely want to preorder early for most NISA games if you want them at launch.
Yeah. I preorder Zero as soon as it was announced and got it in time. If I am not done with some games by then, Ill wait for the physical, if not I dont mind the digital copy,.

I finished Chained Echoes

great game, good pacing and the general snappiness kept me coming back to it for the 30 or so hours it lasted plus it had mechs and a good soundtrack, I even 100%d it afterwards because I was doing side stuff throughout and just had one sidequest and the optional boss areas left

the ending felt a bit underwhelming but very interested in whatever the guy that made it does next

A friend gifted me a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and so far, I’m really feelin’ it!!

But seriously, so far I’m up to Makna Forest and I’m enjoying the characters and exploration. I only ever played Xeno X for a few hours but it’s good to start over with 1.

Since my copy of Octopath was delayed till next week, the DQ3 2023 replay continues. Orochi beaten, and got all the orbs so it's finally time to tackle Baramos castle. Just lvl up my cleric > mage so she can have Oomph ready (thankfully the exp from necrogond enemies make it really fast. Took me like 15 minutes to get her into level 18)

You know what, forget trying to cheese it through systems, I just wanna play FFVIII. If I’m having trouble I’ll just use the cheat feature instead!

I’m just distracting myself with it when I should just play it. This is why I haven’t beaten anything after 7 despite have FF8-12(obviously excluding 11) on my switch…. Tho well it’s also on me for starting 8 after already starting 9 a while back. I might actually be better working on that one

So the Chrono Cross patch is already live, anyone has tested it?
Playing through some battles now. This is how the game should've released, holy shit.

Not only is the framerate finally above, like, 10fps, but inputs move faster, too. Before I would mash A like three times before the input would register and now it's so immediate it catches me off guard. Even scrolling through the tech palette is snappy and immediate, which was one of my biggest gripes before. The difference is so stark that it almost feels like the game is on fast forward at times. I even checked to make sure I didn't have the actual fast forward feature turned on because it's that big of a change.

It's fixed. Holy hell it's fixed.

Last edited:
jfOQSRT.gif

See now I'm mad.

Like, if the game was capable of running like this, why the hell didn't it at launch? Again, it's not just an fps boost like they advertised, the whole game is running better. The menu is faster, the commands are immediate, even the fast-forward feature is actually faster. The whole game is just overall running way better. What was the thing that was bottlenecking the game so hard?? I wanna know now! 😅

Playing through some battles now. This is how the game should've released, holy shit.

Not only is the framerate finally above, like, 10fps, but inputs move faster, too. Before I would mash A like three times before the input would register and now it's so immediate it catches me off guard. Even scrolling through the tech palette is snappy and immediate, which was one of my biggest gripes before. The difference is so stark that it almost feels like the game is on fast forward at times. I even checked to make sure I didn't have the actual fast forward feature turned on because it's that big of a change.

It's fixed. Holy hell it's fixed.
I booted it up because I had to see it in person. This is a night and day difference and you are right it’s exactly how it should have been. Even the big special effect heavy spells don’t chug.

Sucks so many of us already played through it, but this is finally an easy endorsement. If you ever wanted to play Chrono Cross, please jump in now.

Even the big special effect heavy spells don’t chug.
Right? Holy Light and Ultranova are breathtaking now.
Sucks so many of us already played through it, but this is finally an easy endorsement. If you ever wanted to play Chrono Cross, please jump in now.
Yes!! If anyone is still on the fence about diving in then make like Arnold and DO IT NOW!!
Chrono Cross on Switch is finally an actual remaster!! 🤣

Octopath 2 is so damn good. I’m just blown away by it. What a wonderful rpg, so much freedom to explore and tinker with the party.

I see Redemption Reapers has been a bit of a damp squib, much like Diofield Chronicle was. That’s a shame, I’m always interested in new SRPGs with a fine pedigree.

Vote for the reverse Reverie cover, if you're interested. I settled on option 2 in the end, but none of them is really bad imo.

Currently playing: Mario's Super Picross, Link's Awakening (GB)
Up Next: Chrono Cross, Shining Force 2

From Kotaku's article on FFXVI:

Part of the transition away from turn-based combat comes from Yoshida Naoki’s perception that fewer gamers want slower gameplay. He believes that JRPGs are “niche,” and so his team turned to blockbuster action.

One of the nice things about previews is they can help show you whether or not you'll be interested in a game before purchasing, and also whether or not you even fit in in your own hobby anymore. 🙃

From Kotaku's article on FFXVI:

One of the nice things about previews is they can help show you whether or not you'll be interested in a game before purchasing, and also whether or not you even fit in in your own hobby anymore. 🙃
I suppose the usual ‘Pokemon doesnt count as a JRPG’ argument fits in there somewhere :D

I agree, the preview does a good job of letting me know not to take a chance on it, which is fine, I mean I only buy a small fraction of what’s out there anyway.

I know I already said it in the other thread but:

15nM5nm.jpg

This is what Final Fantasy looks like to me now.
Part of me wonders if it’s just the end point for various AAA projects, no matter whether it originally started with ‘rpg’ somewhere in its list of influences, genre etc. Like I also said elsewhere, a sort of move where everything meets at ‘fantasy game with amazing looking graphics, responsive action combat, explosions, cut scenes, music, voice acting, rpg elements and skills and levels for little numbers to go up on bars.’ A sort of holy grail, if your goal is to get as many people to buy your game as possible, in making it as visually attractive as possible and with instant feedback for the player. Not saying that template isn’t an awesome recipe for a game. I get why so many big games end up on that track, where series from what we would have considered 5 different genres 20+ years ago like Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Ys, Devil May Cry, Tomb Raider etc all end up sort of coalescing into flashy action rpg.

Sort of the console game version of carcinisation (this is definitely the most stretched analogy I’m gonna make this week) :D

I get why developers don’t care about customer’s/media’s endless attempt to classify the games, fair play to them, who am I to say otherwise, I’m not a game developer. It’s just… not really the sort of games I like.

If there’s a niche in whatever ‘JRPG’ is, it’s my kinda niche. So are various other niches, like Divinity: Original Sin if we’re bringing WRPGs into it. That’s got some of the best turn-based rpg combat I’ve ever played. Octopath is great too in the sheer amount of strategy you can pull off over multiple turns as you track the break and boost and latent power systems.

I agree that plenty of western comment has turned their nose up at JRPGs in the past, particularly in WRPG vs JRPG discussions that inevitably have someone go on about linearity and weirdly try to claim JRPGs aren’t RPGs at all because you (largely) need to go to a set place to progress the story. That’s something I’ve seen in the past and I’m pretty sure that’s what he’s referring to.

Last edited:
Haven't updated much on Final Fantasy X of late. Last night I made it to the Al Bhed base in the desert. I'm guessing (based on my time play) that I am getting close to the halfway point. That boss fight with Maester Seymor was a real doozie. First you have supports that keep healing him, then you have an aeon in the middle, and suddenly the dude is dropping double magic attacks. It took a few rounds to get the right strategy (and a little luck), but I managed to finish it. NGL, the story seems all over the place, but I am still enjoying it quite a bit. Hopefully I get to put in serious time by the weekend.

Haven't updated much on Final Fantasy X of late. Last night I made it to the Al Bhed base in the desert. I'm guessing (based on my time play) that I am getting close to the halfway point. That boss fight with Maester Seymor was a real doozie. First you have supports that keep healing him, then you have an aeon in the middle, and suddenly the dude is dropping double magic attacks. It took a few rounds to get the right strategy (and a little luck), but I managed to finish it. NGL, the story seems all over the place, but I am still enjoying it quite a bit. Hopefully I get to put in serious time by the weekend.
Obviously you just need to travel to Japan to watch the Kabuki version instead

Playing Octopath 2, there is a small feature than I really really enjoy and its party acknowledgement. When you break or finish off an enemy or are injured the next party member will sometimes notice. That kind of comradery sorta gives the team a nice touch. Even if they are repeated lines, like for example Zero's Combo crafts or Nostalgia's team specials (Deep cut, underrated gem), its a small thing that makes me love the party more.

Playing Octopath 2, there is a small feature than I really really enjoy and its party acknowledgement. When you break or finish off an enemy or are injured the next party member will sometimes notice. That kind of comradery sorta gives the team a nice touch. Even if they are repeated lines, like for example Zero's Combo crafts or Nostalgia's team specials (Deep cut, underrated gem), its a small thing that makes me love the party more.
I really like that, they’ll say ‘nice work, xyz!’ or ‘watch out xyz!’. It’s an elegant small thing that really adds something.

I’m still really interested in FF16, but seeing so many previews calling it faster or even “like God of War” and all the “it’s not a JRPG and gamers don’t like slower games” nonsense is putting up GIGANTIC red flags

Sort of the console game version of carcinisation (this is definitely the most stretched analogy I’m gonna make this week) :D
Hey if I can compare the phenomenon to cars then you can certainly compare it to crabs. 🤣
At least your analogy can lead into a Bill Ritch reference.

If there’s a niche in whatever ‘JRPG’ is, it’s my kinda niche.
Buddy, same

And as to everything you're saying about how this sort of genre-coalescing makes sense, I get it. Not to run it into the ground but it's something I've had to come to terms with in being a car enthusiast, while the market is now increasingly turning everything into some form of SUV. Like yeah, that particular form seems to be a sort of ideal catch-all that can do the most things for the most people, and when you're running a business and trying to maximize sales and profits per unit built then it doesn't make sense to have a lot of niche stuff taking up factory space that only a few people will buy. But when you get to the point where everything that's available is a watered-down "ideal" form, you lose a lot of personality and a lot of options, you lose a lot of what helps people relate to these things that are, yes, just corporate products on one hand but that on the other hand also have the ability to be special, fun things that can stir the soul and help us identify with and enjoy the things we interact with. Things created by real people who pour their heart and love into what they're making, that can serve as a point of connection for the end user. Hell, the same thing could be said about the modern film industry, even.

But it's a small gripe, really, even with as much air as I blow into it. There are tons of games being made now that I enjoy (too many, in fact), so it's not like I'm deprived of anything. It's just that some of the names and teams I grew up loving are now sorta drifting away and doing things that make me feel a bit left behind. And not just by Square, but by the hobby itself, considering the mainstream culture's movement is why Square is doing this.

But at least we have indies. 😅

Hey if I can compare the phenomenon to cars then you can certainly compare it to crabs. 🤣
At least your analogy can lead into a Bill Ritch reference.

Buddy, same

And as to everything you're saying about how this sort of genre-coalescing makes sense, I get it. Not to run it into the ground but it's something I've had to come to terms with in being a car enthusiast, while the market is now increasingly turning everything into some form of SUV. Like yeah, that particular form seems to be a sort of ideal catch-all that can do the most things for the most people, and when you're running a business and trying to maximize sales and profits per unit built then it doesn't make sense to have a lot of niche stuff taking up factory space that only a few people will buy. But when you get to the point where everything that's available is a watered-down "ideal" form, you lose a lot of personality and a lot of options, you lose a lot of what helps people relate to these things that are, yes, just corporate products on one hand but that on the other hand also have the ability to be special, fun things that can stir the soul and help us identify with and enjoy the things we interact with. Things created by real people who pour their heart and love into what they're making, that can serve as a point of connection for the end user. Hell, the same thing could be said about the modern film industry, even.

But it's a small gripe, really, even with as much air as I blow into it. There are tons of games being made now that I enjoy (too many, in fact), so it's not like I'm deprived of anything. It's just that some of the names and teams I grew up loving are now sorta drifting away and doing things that make me feel a bit left behind. And not just by Square, but by the hobby itself, considering the mainstream culture's movement is why Square is doing this.

But at least we have indies. 😅
Hah, yeah, I hear you. It’s possible to understand why media changes and also feel a bit left behind, FF is far from the only game series that would once sell a game system to me but now barely registers on my radar despite social media existing. I wish we got another major AAA game that was essentially a sequel to FFXII in terms of mechanics, but at this point I find it hard to do anything but shrug about Final Fantasy after I haven’t bought one for nearly 15 years. I’ve now spent longer not playing the series than I did enjoying them. As you say, like Chained Echoes and Rise of the Third Power are out from the indie scene, and there’s stuff like Eiyuden, Sea of Stars and Sacrifire out later this year.

All the HD-2D stuff is my jam. From Square’s wider viewpoint of putting rpgs out, if they are pouring funds into that to keep people like me happy with Octopath, DQ3, Live A Live etc while DQXII cooks, I think I’m happier with Square as a publisher than I have been in a very long time, even as Final Fantasy continues to drift far from the games I pick up. To each their own etc, I’m sure there’s tons of players eagerly awaiting FFXVI on PS5 and I genuinely hope they enjoy it.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is good so far.

I'm making headway again with that game after I was set back due to a bug (luckily, the save time before that bug wasn't too steep).

BTW, does Elden Ring count as an RPG?

🤔

Well... huh. This thing I love apparently causes pain in Japan.

Yeah I definitely see where they are coming from then and now. 15 years ago was right at the start of the PS3 and the discourse around then was the most ugly it ever was. Thankfully it has been toned down, but you still get dismissals that the games are lesser or can only be so good coming from Japan which sucks. There’s like this second level of standards and expectations that surrounds games like Final Fantasy XVI and just last month Forspoken for what they are allowed to be, what people want them to be, and how good they can be just because they are from Japan. They can never just be RPGs, it’s always judged as an RPG from Japan regardless of how much work was put into them or how global the production was.

JRPG is a weird term in that it has two meanings with the style of games that resemble games like the first ten Final Fantasy games which anyone the world over can make and then separately an RPG from Japan. We really need a better term for the former, but sort of like Metroidvania no term has really risen in prominence and works so well for immediate recognition. You’ll never see a Search Action sale, but even on PlayStation you’ll see Metroidvania sales directly labeled as such. I love the style version of JRPGs, #teamJRPG forever, but yeah it would be nice if we could find a better term that isn’t attached for better and for worse to a country.

Separate from this, not sure which thread you said it in Chocolate Supra, but I saw you mention today you want more 3D turn based JRPGs like Chrono Cross and I have to once again recommend the Trails games. The first five are charming 2D games and the next five at least are 3D turn based games (I’m not sure how 11 and 12 work exactly). There’s like 800+ hours of JRPG greatness across the first nine directly connected games alone! Hop on the Trails train!

JRPG is a weird term in that it has two meanings with the style of games that resemble games like the first ten Final Fantasy games which anyone the world over can make and then separately an RPG from Japan. I love the style version of JRPGs, #teamJRPG forever, but yeah it would be nice if we could find a better term that isn’t attached for better and for worse to a country.
We do need a new term. I cant count the number of times I've heard podcast/shows where they are playing a rpg not named FF, and the first thing they say "Its your typical jrpg" like what does that even mean? We can sorta guess but it kinda shows that in some of places not a lot of people play rpgs in general, which I can understand but still.

Hop on the Trails train!

I drank the water last year and I do not regret it lol.

NISA snagged the Crystar sequel(?), Crymachia, over Spike Chunsoft. No real details yet.

I don’t really recommend the first game. I think it took me 25 hours iirc and only in the last five it became the game it wanted to be. This definitely looks like a step up with the little bit of action shown. Wonder if they got Shaft back for select cutscenes.

Edit Gematsu article:

Sounds like a spiritual sequel since this has seemingly nothing to do with the first game.

Last edited:
Well decided with the 12 days I got left to blitz soul hackers 2 on gamepass since I loved tms#fe. Open for advice and tips!
Hmm… advice… well, it’s only around 25-40 hours long depending on side stuff, and maybe even faster now that they added a sprint button, so not long at all. It’s really a pretty straightforward, simple game for the most part.

My advice would be: Keep up with the Soul Matrix as it unlocks, it smooths out the difficulty and gives you all your character skills (which are very useful). Likewise, do your hangouts at the bar since it rewards affinity points that you need for the Soul Matrix. And be sure to upgrade your weapons at the weapon smith!

And if you’re new to SMT with demon fusion, don’t worry about changing up your roster constantly and churning through demons to make new demons. That’s intended! Don’t get too attached to any one demon, especially once they’ve learned all their skills.

Yeah I definitely see where they are coming from then and now. 15 years ago was right at the start of the PS3 and the discourse around then was the most ugly it ever was. Thankfully it has been toned down, but you still get dismissals that the games are lesser or can only be so good coming from Japan which sucks. There’s like this second level of standards and expectations that surrounds games like Final Fantasy XVI and just last month Forspoken for what they are allowed to be, what people want them to be, and how good they can be just because they are from Japan. They can never just be RPGs, it’s always judged as an RPG from Japan regardless of how much work was put into them or how global the production was.

JRPG is a weird term in that it has two meanings with the style of games that resemble games like the first ten Final Fantasy games which anyone the world over can make and then separately an RPG from Japan. We really need a better term for the former, but sort of like Metroidvania no term has really risen in prominence and works so well for immediate recognition. You’ll never see a Search Action sale, but even on PlayStation you’ll see Metroidvania sales directly labeled as such. I love the style version of JRPGs, #teamJRPG forever, but yeah it would be nice if we could find a better term that isn’t attached for better and for worse to a country.
I understand but boy howdy must I have been separated from gaming discourse during that generation. I've never heard the term JRPG used in any way but lovingly and sentimentally, and as a compliment towards newer games that "get it right." Maybe I'm lucky. Or maybe I'm in an echo chamber because most of my IRL friends have been JRPG fans since the 90s 😅
Separate from this, not sure which thread you said it in Chocolate Supra, but I saw you mention today you want more 3D turn based JRPGs like Chrono Cross and I have to once again recommend the Trails games. The first five are charming 2D games and the next five at least are 3D turn based games (I’m not sure how 11 and 12 work exactly). There’s like 800+ hours of JRPG greatness across the first nine directly connected games alone! Hop on the Trails train!
Yes! The Trails series is actually on my radar, and has been for a while! I wanted to try Trails in the Sky back when it was relatively new, and I'm still keeping an eye open for some sort of trilogy collection on modern consoles. And the rest, yeah definitely. I've actually got Arise (I think) wishlisted on my Xbone waiting for a big sale. 😅

It’s been like this since XV… 😂
True but XV got some sympathy from me because I knew its development was troubled as hell and it was initially supposed to be an ARPG spinoff that got repurposed into a mainline title, and at least it still had a party. I actually enjoyed XV despite it not being what I'd want but somehow XVI and now the comments from the devs are making me like XV less in retrospect. I'll probably be a bit more okay with all this once some time has passed but at the moment it's just kinda jarring. Like this is a thing, a series, a genre, I've loved my whole life and it feels like not only the mainstream market but now even the series devs are telling me I'm far out of the loop.
Which I know is not the case but it's how it feeeeels

I understand but boy howdy must I have been separated from gaming discourse during that generation. I've never heard the term JRPG used in any way but lovingly and sentimentally, and as a compliment towards newer games that "get it right." Maybe I'm lucky. Or maybe I'm in an echo chamber because most of my IRL friends have been JRPG fans since the 90s 😅

Yes! The Trails series is actually on my radar, and has been for a while! I wanted to try Trails in the Sky back when it was relatively new, and I'm still keeping an eye open for some sort of trilogy collection on modern consoles. And the rest, yeah definitely. I've actually got Arise (I think) wishlisted on my Xbone waiting for a big sale. 😅
Yeah the term is more positively / passionately embraced these days more often than not even with the detractions and detractors.

Yeah Trails in the Sky is where you want to start. If you don’t have a PSP/Vita, any computer or laptop from the last ten years should run it fine. Never say never, but I’d withhold hope of there being console ports since XSeed has the scripts and are on bad terms with Falcom. I do not like gaming on PC unless it is an RTS basically, but Trails is worth it imo and you can hook up a controller and feel good to go. If you did want to start with a console game to make sure you like it or not, jump in with Trails From Zero on Switch. It’s perfect for Switch and the second best starting point for the series. You always can go forward or backward from there.

Watch out though Trails and Tales are different series! I like Tales a lot, but it isn’t the same thing. Tales of Arise will not tell you if Trails is for you or not.

NISA snagged the Crystar sequel(?), Crymachia, over Spike Chunsoft. No real details yet.

I don’t really recommend the first game. I think it took me 25 hours iirc and only in the last five it became the game it wanted to be. This definitely looks like a step up with the little bit of action shown. Wonder if they got Shaft back for select cutscenes.

Edit Gematsu article:

Sounds like a spiritual sequel since this has seemingly nothing to do with the first game.

It's the year of spiritual sequels, first Criminal Girls and now Crystar

jay arr pee geez

I remember being so desperate for Final Fantasy XIII at the start of the PS3 and it felt like all there was was shit from Idea Factory and Compile Heart. Didn't help Xbox was so big with games like Oblivion, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Fallout 3.

Back
Top Bottom