• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Rooster Teeth shutting down

BassForever

Master of the Undernet
Pronouns
He/Him

A pioneer in digital content creation is going away. Rooster Teeth, a subsidiary of Warner Bros. DiscoveryGlobal Streaming & Interactive Entertainment, announced this morning that it is ceasing operations after 21 years. The process starts today and is expected to take several months.

The news was announced at an all-hands company meeting and shared in an internal memo by Rooster Teeth general manager Jordan Levin.

"It's with a heavy heart I announce that Rooster Teeth is shutting down due to challenges facing digital media resulting from fundamental shifts in consumer behavior and monetization across platforms, advertising, and patronage," Levin said in the email (You can read it in full below).

End of an era, not really a surprise but still crazy to see.

Wow, that's surprising.

I haven't watched anything from them in over 10 years, so maybe this was a long time coming.

I'm curious about the downstream effects, as I know they support a lot of other smaller creators by facilitating advertising and merchandise deals.

Weren't they already kind of hanging by a thread for a while? Feels like it was pretty much all downhill since Monty Oum's passing.

Not completely unexpected; I still listened to some of their podcasts but it seemed like everything else was kinda just limping along without much direction or excitement, esp. after the last couple scandals. Still though, if I'd had a chance to put money on it 2 or 3 years ago, I would never have guessed Rooster Teeth would actually shutter before Giant Bomb (knock on wood)

Also really hope the internet's been on top of archiving this stuff. WBD loves to torch things out of existence for nebulous tax reasons if they can't find a buyer, and I imagine content like 20+ years of Let's Plays and machinima aren't exactly a hot commodity these days

I never got too interested with them, but this is just another part of the old internet that is gone and that is really sad.

Rooster Teeth was a big part of my high school and early college years. I adore the first 8 seasons of Red Vs Blue and bought the blu ray box set after the 10th season came out. In more recent times I've enjoyed RWBY despite it's major issues and it's something I've been able to bond with my younger cousins over (they even named their dog Blake inspired by RWBY).

The end has been coming for a long time, but it's still hard for me to process it.

this_is_famiboards.gif

But yeah pretty big deal. Never followed them closely enough to know if it's actually a surprise or not though. Just another sign of the internet times I suppose
They've been in a rough spot for awhile, there was talk about if they'd even be able to produce anymore seasons of RWBY, their second most popular show, due to a lack of funding.

Last edited:
Even with the downward trend in the past 10 years or so (probably more than that tbh) they were a part of my discovery of the internet in the mid-to-late 2000s for me. This sucks to see :(

RIP Roosterteeth. Hopefully everyone lands on their feet and the RWBY team can at least get us some closure on the series end.

โ€ฆthey still existed?

Curious what happens to Death Battle. They've going pretty strong lately, and fairly disconnected from the rest of RT

just in case anyone was worried a big chunk of "old internet" was about to get Coyote vs. Acme'd, looks like there's a decent effort going to archive everything (including stuff that had previously been locked behind their subscription) before that happens

Back
Top Bottom