• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Rollin' Rascal Kickstarter Announcement Trailer (3D Sonic-like)

While gameplay wise they are certainly different, the first thing i thought of was Penny's Big Breakaway from that one Nintendo Direct lol

I'm liking this big craze towards Sonic-inspired 3D platformers. It seems like the wave now after we had more Banjo/Mario-inspired 3D platformers in the 2010s.

yall the character design is so good

GAMwvj8W8AECWpe

Rollin' Rascal will bring the fast-paced action of classic Sonic games and mix it with the rich world interactions of Super Mario Bros. in an experience that appeals to classic speedsters while remaining accessible for newcomers to these exciting gameplay genres.
...yo @chocolate_supra, I think they're going after both of us with this one.

It looks so good. You can kick the football into the goal! Okay, now I need to forget about this game until I can buy it…

The average Sonic fan game is typically better than the average Sonic game, but this seems to veer too close to duplication, it's copying the bad parts like automated rails and loop sequences, and the character doesn't seem to do anything unique to them.

Maybe I'm just a little let down because I've been following this group for a while after being blown away with their tribute work of Snowboard Kids and Mother 3 and such.

One more week for the Kickstarter which will come with a demo. We also have what looks like to be Coco Bandicoot-like character.

Last edited:
I did my part! A shame there doesn't seem to be a physical version of the game (yet).

Then again they haven't specified anything about the platforms, so maybe we'll learn more later.

These companies put so much time in to their Kickstarter pages and then neglect critical info like what platforms they plan to release on. Obviously Steam, but I'm not backing if it's only on Steam and they don't even mention platforms at all. So, good luck, I guess...?

These companies put so much time in to their Kickstarter pages and then neglect critical info like what platforms they plan to release on. Obviously Steam, but I'm not backing if it's only on Steam and they don't even mention platforms at all. So, good luck, I guess...?

Several people brought this up in the KS comments and the developers' answer has been:

"Currently we are developing toward PC only, but by the time the game launches we will add console support. Announcements regarding console support will be made sometime after the Kickstarter campaign is complete, and all Kickstarter rewards don’t include console copies at this time."

Hoping the "at this time" means pledges will cover console of choice once they have console support locked down.

Edit: ope, sorry @ezr__ didn't mean to step on your toes there 😅

I am excited for the game and it looks like it will get funded. However, I do not kickstart games but I keep my eye for a release date.

Funded in under 12 hours.

Good lord.

On to the stretch goals now! come oonnnnnnn Hub World!!

This looks pretty great tbh, multiplayer looks really fun! I’ve only ever backed one game on kickstarter (and it was that one). Since this is currently just PC only and they already are funded (a suspiciously low amount tbh) I’ll probably pass and just anticipate its release.

Oh that's cool we have a thread here about this too!

I'm gonna check out the demo tonight. Saw on Era someone confirmed that this is being made by the person who made a 3D Sonic fangame called Sonic GT (which is pretty fun and in interesting glimpse into what a decent effort for a pure momentum based 3D Sonic platformer can be like) so I know the physics and level design will be pretty solid.

So glad some are growing out of the "here's yet another fanmade 3D Sonic physics demo that's just in a generic Unreal Engine tile texture map with no personality" because doing this + an original IP is the way to go.

So glad some are growing out of the "here's yet another fanmade 3D Sonic physics demo that's just in a generic Unreal Engine tile texture map with no personality" because doing this + an original IP is the way to go.
"Sonic fangame with its own original IP laid over" is how Freedom Planet and Spark The Electric Jester came about too, and those are awesome. Sonic fangame makers are fantastic.

"Sonic fangame with its own original IP laid over" is how Freedom Planet and Spark The Electric Jester came about too, and those are awesome. Sonic fangame makers are fantastic.

Spark 3 is in my backlog 😅 I'll get to it in due time this year. I'm not sure when I'll get Freedom Planet 2 as well but I'll get it eventually.

Well, I got my pledge in! I gotta try the demo, but I'm really looking forward to it.
well then.
3XUFqn2.png
I'm sure that this game will get a console version, but given that Switch 2 is likely coming out this year and Rollin' Rascal is slated to 2026, not committing to a platform makes sense! Let's hope they get that Switch 2 dev kit!

I'm sure that this game will get a console version, but given that Switch 2 is likely coming out this year and Rollin' Rascal is slated to 2026, not committing to a platform makes sense! Let's hope they get that Switch 2 dev kit!
Yeah one of the things the devs said in the comments is that they'll need to see what platforms would still be worth porting to by the time the game is done, and that's why they aren't even mentioning specific consoles in the poll, only brands.

They said that in response to someone asking if it could come to PS4 in addition to PS5 but I get the feeling the same answer applies to Switch vs Super Switch as well.

This game seems cool. I watched some YouTubers play it and it has a cool concept going for it, Adventure-like Sonic game with a bit of a more focused approach.

It’s unfortunate some of the cooler features are behind very distant stretch goals. HUB World / Play as QT seem the most desirable. But I understand it’s a big undertaking, honestly i’m sure the devs are just glad to have the game funded, with how tough Kickstarter can be these days.

I’d say the level design needs more set pieces, and they need to get a Jun Senoue-like musician on board (the music was kind of forgettable and that’s a huge part of the Sonic franchise)

Otherwise, i’m rooting for the game’s success, it’s incredible how far indie games have come, from lots of 8-Bit / Pixel Art run-n-gun’s to stuff like this.

*whispers*
tee lopes
I like Tee’s stuff, a lot, but recently he’s been limiting his style a bit to Naofumi Hataya/Masafumi Ogata (Sonic CD) tropes. While there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it works wonders for 2D Sonic. I do wish, if he were to work on a game like this, that he would go back to some of his earlier, creative stuff and build from there.

Even Penny’s Breakway music is very Mania-like.

Source: am huge sonic music nerd

I played the demo for about 30 minutes last night. It has two levels: A tutorial level and a regular one from the trailer. The gameplay mechanics are smooth. You can charge your drop dash in the air and keep moving. Ball mode is what you expect.

Honestly, it really does play a lot like Sonic GT but with more polish. It even has the bonus points system from that fangame where maintaining speed, homing attacking enemies and rolling on the ramps and launching yourself to gain lots of air.

Visuals are as nice as expected. Only things I don't like are how the camera controls on the right stick are inverted (which I'm sure some would like but there's no way to change it in the demo) and some sound effects aren't mixed well. Oh I tried the multiplayer by joining a random room and that was rough. Super choppy. Perhaps jumping into one random room wasn't the move lol 😅

But yeah, definitely recommend giving it a try. I don't know the target PC specs for it but there are some options to adjust.

it always feels like such a formality when they do this

Like, here's a cute scimblo bimblo indie game, we're pretending we need a poll to know where the console audience for that kind of thing might be
it really truly always helps to clarify.

asking a dedicated fanbase is not negligence, it’s metrics.

It’s a way to formalize a decision, get a more reliable read, and demonstrate to others, i.e. any source of funding, what you may already think you know

all this to say, believe me, answer the surveys, they’re not vanity projects

it really truly always helps to clarify.

asking a dedicated fanbase is not negligence, it’s metrics.

It’s a way to formalize a decision, get a more reliable read, and demonstrate to others, i.e. any source of funding, what you may already think you know

all this to say, believe me, answer the surveys, they’re not vanity projects
so we can expect a survey for Grögol Bonanza, then? ;)

Campaign just hit $100k, that's four stretch goals met! Next stretch goal gets us a Hub World!!

COME ONNNNNN, HUB WORLD!!!!!

So remember that console poll? Well...

Rollin' Rascal Coming to Nintendo Switch

We are very excited to announce that Rollin’ Rascal will officially be releasing on the Nintendo Switch! All Kickstarter backers with a Digital Reward of the game will be able to redeem it on either Steam or Nintendo Switch. We can't wait to share more as we move froward with the Nintendo Switch edition of Rollin' Rascal.

yall

It's coming to Switch.

If anyone was leery of preordering before they committed to consoles, then here ya go!

Edit: dammit Volc!!! :ROFLMAO:

I like Tee’s stuff, a lot, but recently he’s been limiting his style a bit to Naofumi Hataya/Masafumi Ogata (Sonic CD) tropes. While there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it works wonders for 2D Sonic. I do wish, if he were to work on a game like this, that he would go back to some of his earlier, creative stuff and build from there.

Even Penny’s Breakway music is very Mania-like.

Source: am huge sonic music nerd

I think it's good if a composer has a recognisable style. At this point he has made such a name for himself he sits next to other long time composers that are recognisable as well. The green hill video sounds nice but it's more generic than his usual stuff.

So remember that console poll? Well...

Rollin' Rascal Coming to Nintendo Switch' Rascal Coming to Nintendo Switch

This is great news, but I don't see this game running at 60fps on the Switch. So I'll likely have to get it elsewhere when it finally releases. A fast-paced 3D platformer in the style of 3D Sonic really needs to run at 60fps minimum IMO.

*deep breath*

HUB WOOOOOORRRRRLLLLDDD

Stretch goal met, huzzah 😁

64c92095dddd3f5c9631a08a05cb7b87_original.png

bd75c1c4df6c6af8465ece1ae7d77326_original.png

YES! Every great 3D platformer needs a hub world IMO. This bodes well for the final product.

Back
Top Bottom