• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP Resident Evil Series |LTTP| REmake 4 Completed (Open Spoilers)

(Late to the party)
Mr. X is freaking stressful, but he adds to the tension in a good way! He’s a great test for how well you remember the map and managed the threats in the rooms. Until I studied how to goof on him lol.

Sewers is definitely a bit iffy. I always dread having to navigate that area, and those murderous flesh-blobs are always a pain in the neck.

I actually like the sewers. My first playthrough I found them a little draining mostly because of how complex they are, but by the second I came to love them for the most part. It's one of the only times an RE game follows up it's Metroidvania section with another Metroidvania section, one that actually requires you to think about how to progress too despite being a bunch of stitched together hallways. I'm pretty sure you can run past the poisonous blobs for the most part, too, it might require some baiting though which is fun and risky.

That being said yeah I think the REmake largely gets worse the longer it goes on, without spoiling too much.

Progress Update – Labor and Laboratory​

It had to happen. Due to my excessive use of both ammo and healing items in the sewers, the laboratory sequence ended up being the ultimate survival horror experience. The plant people were rather easily avoidable, but the lickers yet again proved to be massively annoying, and so I was left with little health, and barely any healing items after concocting the herbicide (yet again) to exterminate another giant plant (yet again), even though this one seemingly did nothing wrong, apart from blocking my path to the security chip I needed to get to the west wing.

William 2.0 (3.0?) ended up being a lot more stressful than he had any right to be, because I had to go in with caution vitality status, and only had a G+B mixed herb left, on top of the first aid spray found in the boss arena. I pulled through, but it took me some trial and error, and I only made it by the skin of my teeth.

Imagine the joy I felt when I got to fight Mega Man Mr. X immediately after, and with yet again only one healing item at my disposal. And then imagine my relief when I found out he's a total pushover. In a final nod to RE1 (seriously, how many callbacks can you cram into a sequel), he took a rocket to the face, and that was the end of that. Blowing up the group of zombies emerging from a narrow hallway with another rocket was incredibly cathartic, and off into the sunset I rode, after a total playtime of 8.5 hours.

My thoughts overall are overwhelmingly positive. I probably made the last stretch of the game a lot harder on me than it had any right to be after wasting a lot of resources in the sewer, and I'd overall agree that the RPD section is the strongest part of the game. But it was enjoyable from start to finish, the atmosphere was incredible (even though the lab was perhaps a tad bright), and the lack of resources towards the end only made it feel more immersive, so I'm kind of glad it turned out that way. Even though my resource management overall was shitty enough that I feel like I almost teetered on the edge of it being undoable (unless the game just throws you pity consumables at that point).

The one gripe I have with my first experience of REmake 2 is that I actually wound up missing stuff. I mentioned this in my last update, but I never got the heart shaped key for RPD, and I apparently didn't explore the sewers in their entirety. But that's what second playthroughs are for, and I meant do just that with Claire anyway, so I guess figuring out where I missed stuff my first time through is something to look forward to.

In conclusion: REmake 2 was fun, and I'm looking forward to the 2nd run, whenever the mood strikes me.

NiH8FTd.jpg

vnl66uf7iuc81.jpg

You're S.T.A.R.S. material for sure, with an appetite for survival horror like that! Glad to hear you too have developed the itch/taste for BIOHAZARD fun, there's still nothing else quite like it.

It happened again! 2nd Run didn't have to wait long at all. In fact, I am already done with it.

First of all, I was caught off guard with how much harsher the game is in the early stages the second time through. Enemies are seemingly tougher, nastier ones are already out and about (stupid damn lickers), and Mr. X is also on the prowl pretty much as soon as you enter RPD. Which is a nice recipe for disaster when coupled with the initially extremely limited inventory. As I said, it caught me off guard. Completely.

I did, however, like the way they remix things for the 2nd run. I enjoyed seeing that I did, in fact, not miss stuff my first time through, but that those areas were only accessible on 2nd run. I liked having a larger arsenal of weapons at my disposal. And the further it went on, and the more inventory slots I unlocked, the more I started enjoying myself again. A second playthrough here differs in more significant ways than it did in RE1, and I like that.

Overall, I'd say I enjoyed 2nd run even more than my initial playthrough, despite initial hiccups. In total, this elevates RE2 a fair bit for me, and I already liked it a lot to begin with. It's a vastly different experience next to RE1, so I won't compare them, but I had a really good time and enjoyed the human story in this one a lot as well.

And with that, my journey through REmake 2 has come to an end.

NSSZ5zv.jpg

I will always wandred what the team would have done if they had the time to the other scenarios like in OG RE2(probably the reason with OG RE2 is still the better game)

Like making the Furnace?

RE3R gets a way worse rep than it deserves. It's good, it's just short. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up liking it more than you're expecting. 1, 2, and 4 are definitely better, though (just like with the original versions).

RE3R gets a way worse rep than it deserves. It's good, it's just short. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up liking it more than you're expecting. 1, 2, and 4 are definitely better, though (just like with the original versions).
If it did not play the OG RE3 especially yes, RE3 R problems becomes pretty major in the light that.....is not a Remake...at all

If it did not play the OG RE3 especially yes, RE3 R problems becomes pretty major in the light that.....is not a Remake...at all
I mean, it is. Not all remakes are going to be the exact same thing. I get why people had disappointments with it, though. I definitely would have liked more in it.

I had no idea about its rep or it being on the shorter side and was gonna go in without any expectations one way or the other.

It’s just that I went through 1 and 2 so quickly, it was a fair assumption to make.

Holy moly. Nice work @MissingNo.! Very interested to hear what you think of the next remake. I never played the original and love RE3R. And RE4R is the best remake I’ve ever played. Good times ahead, Jerry!

RESIDENT EVIL 3 (REMAKE)​

– Streets of Rage –​

I can't stop with my wild ride through the Resident Evil series, so, predictably, I couldn't stop myself from playing REmake 3 as well. It's only been two weeks since I've started my journey with RE1, so my memories of the previous games are still fresh. And I've already completed RE3 too, so my thoughts on it won't be split into multiple updates. I realised rather quickly that it would be better if I made one big post on it.

The beginning of the game kind of caught me off guard. Once you are dropped into gameplay, you don't find yourself in a metroidvania-esque setup with lots of exploration and backtracking. Instead, you find yourself in the streets of Raccoon City. And while there is some exploration there, this entire opening segment is over rather quickly. Power up the train station (while having to deal with the nastiest, ickiest enemies in the series so far), re-route the subway. Sounds simple enough. There's not a lot of meat on that bone, and it quickly becomes apparent why that might be the case: Nemesis. The game seems to largely be designed around him being a permanent pain in the ass. Which is fine. He does a much better job with that than Mr. X ever did, too. Being more agile, jumping around instead of just slow-walking menacingly. He got me good, a couple of times, because he knew how to show up at the most inopportune moments while I was trying to clean up the items I missed in various nooks and crannies. Another thing that threw me kinda off guard was the much, much higher density of zombies compared to the first two games. They were a legitimate pain to deal with in larger numbers, which would especially be the case in Carlos' gameplay segments – but more on that later, obviously.

Inevitably, I found myself in the sewers, again. This iteration of it was a lot less harsh than the RE2 version, so I enjoyed having a bit of a breather down there, because Nemesis minded the stink too much to come after me. However, it really was just a tiny breather, because I quickly found myself having a rooftop party with Nemesis instead. Things got a bit too heated, so I decided to dip out, which made him chase me angrily through the streets of RC, again. I noticed RPD to my right on the way back to the train station, but more on that later. And also Kendo's gun shop. Neat!

Anyway, hopped on the train, things went terribly wrong because Nemesis just won't quit, and I found myself controlling Carlos, and being back in RPD all of a sudden. Having played RE2 that recently, I breezed through that part, but it also made me realise that RE3 takes place pretty much simultaneously to RE2, only slightly sooner (at least in that segment). I enjoyed my short trip back here, even though there were way too many zombies in some spots. And just like the sewers, this segment was over rather quickly, so I found myself back in control of Jill again, made my way out the subway tunnels, and had to fight Nemesis again. Only this time he was larger, even more pissed off, and more heavily mutated. I really liked this boss fight, as it was pretty straightforward but fun to execute. Mine rounds made this a cake walk.

After that, it was time to run through the hospital to get Jill vaccinated. This put me back in control of Carlos, and I absolutely hated this part. It was pure agony. Zombies were more plentiful than ever, and once the Hunters started to appear on the upper floor, the pain started to get real. Carlos doesn't have access to high impact weapons. No shotgun, no grenade launcher. Hand grenades are the only viable option in that regard, but their supply is limited. And so, dealing with the Hunters, even though I appreciated seeing them again after they've been absent from RE2, was a lot more painful than it should have been. But complaining didn't help here, so I powered through, got the vaccine, and gave it to Jill. After an agonizing intermission of zombie horde mode, I was back in control of Jill again. And her run through the hospital was much more enjoyable, because shotgun and grenade launcher in hand, the Hunters were laughably tame and the groups of zombies no problem either. It was Carlos' fault all along!

The underground warehouse section was over rather quickly, and so was the lab section. I still disliked how there were spots that were just crawling with zombies, but Jill's arsenal at least makes those congregations easier to deal with. Vaccine in hand, I made my way out, only to get stopped in my tracks by Nemesis. Again.

This boss fight was a lot harder on me than it should have been. It was basically a redo of the last Nemesis boss fight, with the twist of having to shoot the corresponding panels Carlos points out to you within a given window. The trouble I faced was that I was too slow to spot the panels because I got disoriented disposing of the zombies that drop into the arena mid fight, but I did it nonetheless, and Nemesis dissolved into acid, being done for good this time. Right?

Riiight. Nemesis is back as an even further mutated, massive blob, but this iteration of him made for the easiest boss fight yet. And the most satisfying as well, because you get to shoot him with a big zapper. Until he dies. For good this time. Good.

Overall, my thoughts on REmake 3 are kind of split. I like some aspects of it a lot. Nemesis, despite being a pain in the ass, was great to have around as a constantly looming threat in the early stages of the game. I like the introduction of an evasive move in this one, which is something I haven't even touched on yet. And I also like how the game ties into REmake 2, and brings the storyline of 1-3 together.

However, I'm not a fan of Carlos' segments. It wouldn't be that big of a deal he had access to a shotgun as well, but when spraying and praying with your AR is the only option you have when facing 5-6 zombies simultaneously, it makes things harder than they should be, when taking limited ammo into account. I will concede that this might actually just be me being bad at it.

The game being way more linear than the first two is something that makes sense in the context of Nemesis for the introductory stages of the game, but the game never really opened up later, either. I can live with it, however, as I feel it still all connected together well enough. Though the lack of a 2nd run equivalent means the replayability value of this one is going to be a lot lower for me when compared to its predecessors as well.

The one thing I really disliked was the infuriatingly high zombie density. Again, this does make sense in terms of the story/setting, especially in the streets segments, so I understand why they did it. But putting them in groups of ~5 very frequently got old for me fast. REmake 2 did this as well, but only occasionally, which also gave it more impact when it happened. Another thing I wasn't too fond of was how fast-paced the game was in general. Pretty much all segments were over as quickly as they started, with the possible exception of the hospital – and even then, that was more down to me being bad with Carlos' arsenal, so it took me longer than it should have. I also died a lot more in this game, in attempts to preserve as many healing items as possible. But in the end, this was entirely unnecessary, and I ended with a sizable surplus of them, due to just how quickly it was all over.

Overall, while I still had a good time, this one left me with a couple of gripes. Out of the now three RE games I've played, I liked this one the least, which isn't to say that I think it's a bad game. On the contrary, it's still been mostly enjoyable, with both its strengths and its weaknesses rather closely related to Nemesis being the focal point of the game. It's just the previous ones set the bar extremely high, and you naturally can't always hit those same highs.

BpKkDJK.png

So, what's next?​

I want to say probably a bit of a break from the series for now, but I don't know how long that will hold. REmake 4 being currently on sale makes me want to grab it so I won't have to wait until the next time it goes on sale once the mood strikes me. And I also still have RE0 to go through, which I already own.

Looking further ahead, I'm unsure how to continue past that. RE5 and 6 might get remakes later on as well, so I'm not sure what to do here. I'm interested in Village, but from what I understand, it's a direct sequel to RE7 – which is first person only and I'm not sure I want to play a first person survival horror game.

So in that regard, I'd appreciate any input I can get.

I wonder about remakes of 5 & 6. On one hand they are some of least beloved entries and I could see them just sort of calling it at RE4 and putting those devs on other projects. On the other hand, they’ve done such a great job on the remakes so far that I’d love to see them tackle the ones that could most use a redo.

RE4R is awesome and is a steal at half price, but I also like the idea of breaking up the third person shooting of the remakes with a more traditional entry. RE0 is just OK to me, but OK Resident Evil is better than most games aha.

RE5 can definitely be a bit of a drag sometimes without someone to co-op it with. If you do have someone to co-op it with though, it’s pretty fun. RE6 is…rough. It’s not irredeemably bad if you ask me, but I wouldn’t argue that it’s the most uneven entry in the series.

RE7 is on sale right now, but only the base version without DLC. Could be a good & cheap means to test out if you’re even interested in the first person entries to begin with. I’d say RE7 is far and away the scariest game in the series, and it gives a lot of RE1 vibes. So it might hit for you!

That’s some massive Resident Evil goodness!

Your RE 2 second run sounds like lots of fun. I don’t know if you ever read about the canon story, but the original was all about Claire A and Leon B. Leon B is always fun.

As for your RE 3 Remake, I can understand that you have more gripes with it. I see @JorgenRaft posting that the game gets a “worse” rep, which I agree with. It has the same problem as the original from 1999; it’s a good game in its own right, but it was released just over a year after Resident Evil 2, which is phenomenal.

I personally think due to the short playtime it’s pretty replayable; it’s more action focused than 2, but it makes for a fun romp and due to its fast pacing it’s more of a rollercoaster. I get the criticism that the game doesn’t let you enjoy the area, but that’s kind of the point. The city is overrun with the undead, horrific creatures and some hulking tank muttering STARS. Oh and the American government already pushed the “NUKE IT” button to boot.

The cut content is a shame, but my biggest problem with the game is actually Nemesis. The moments when he’s around it’s nerve wrecking and feels like the original. However compared to the original, it has far less stalking moments which makes it easier to navigate. In the original release there were moment where you’d think “oh man, these streets are so narrow I really ho-“ STAAARRZZZ “Oh no not now!”

But here the amount of Nemesis encounters has been cut back significantly. Personally I like the Carlos segments, they’re pretty exciting in an abandoned hospital. The zombie horde is challenging though, but with a good strategy manageable.

As for going forward… @MissingNo.

- Resident Evil 4 remake is really, really good. You can’t go wrong there.

- RE 5 will get a remake, going by how Wesker has returned to the limelight in RE 4. But it’s years away, I guess playing 5 is not a bad idea, but playing in co-op is a far better suggestion though. Its still a good time, but seeing how the bar has been raised for the last couple of years, RE 5 will feel a bit light.

- RE 6 is best played with a certain mindset: “How would a Resident Evil play if it’s been developed by three separate teams with the best intentions, only to create an incoherent mess of game that is pandering to early 2010’s ideas of being a third person action game”.

I mean, it’s not an unplayable mess, far from it, but it’s proof that when a developer doesn’t know what to do, this game happens. Chris campaign is the worst though. Leon campaign the best. But do play it as you will appreciate the efforts made by Capcom with VII.

- VII and Village as the final ones; will make you appreciate VII more because of six.

Great write up, MissingNo.! Mirrors my thoughts pretty well and those same gripes with it were why I ran out of steam at the very end of the game (I still plan on finishing it this year though)

Going with RE4R next is definitely a good pick, though please consider playing the remaster of 4 at some point as well. I think the OG was finally surpassed for me thanks to Separate Ways but it's still worth going back to it because of some differences like the combat feeling very different.

I'm pretty confident that the next remake is going to be another RE1 in the style of the new ones so RE5/6 remakes, if they happen at all, are a few years away.

If you have the means, look into the Code Veronica remaster. I think most people would agree that it's better than RE0 and very close to REmake.

Going with RE4R next is definitely a good pick, though please consider playing the remaster of 4 at some point as well. I think the OG was finally surpassed for me thanks to Separate Ways but it's still worth going back to it because of some differences like the combat feeling very different.
Since @Sadist kind of nudged me towards playing the originals of 5 and 6 instead of waiting for remakes, which, as you said as well, would probably be pretty far off if they ever happen in the first place, I might just as well get that 4+5+6 bundle next time it goes on sale and experience 4 remastered as well at some point.

If you have the means, look into the Code Veronica remaster.
No problem on Xbox thanks to BC. Could pick it up next time it goes on sale.

I might just as well get that 4+5+6 bundle next time it goes on sale and experience 4 remastered as well at some point
That sounds like the best plan of action. The more RE4 you play, the better.

RE3R is definitely a more linear, setpiece-heavy, action-packed shooter, and it’s best enjoyed with that in mind. The dodge system is your friend here— nail it and you get to counter-splatter the attacking zombie. It was almost too useful to be honest.

The dodge system is your friend here— nail it and you get to counter-splatter the attacking zombie. It was almost too useful to be honest.
You mean when playing as Carlos specifically, right? I managed to do that a couple of times, but couldn't reliably pull it off. Dodging seemed a bit tricky in terms of timing in general when trying to avoid zombies. It always worked fine for me for avoiding stuff like Nemesis' attacks, though.

You mean when playing as Carlos specifically, right? I managed to do that a couple of times, but couldn't reliably pull it off. Dodging seemed a bit tricky in terms of timing in general when trying to avoid zombies. It always worked fine for me for avoiding stuff like Nemesis' attacks, though.
For Carlos you “dodge” towards the enemy so he punches them. It’s pretty funny lol

Yeah, that's what I figured you meant, it was funny when it happened.
The dodge is a little finicky but you kinda grasp how the hitboxes work after a while. Granted, I’m not exactly an expert with it, since I’ve only revisited RE3R once I think.

Agreed with the others saying that both versions of RE4 are very worth playing. The OG still holds up very well and the remake is one of the best to ever be done while still standing on its own.

Wow, congrats MissingNo! You're getting through these way quicker than I could. I did play REmake 2 a few weeks after REmake 1, but had to take a break after that.

As for REmake 3, which I also played for the first time this year, I largely agree with your opinion. I was surprised to see that you didn't think the city was very Metroidvania-y, but that might just be because I had prior experience with the original game. On the PS1 at least, every game gets consecutively more Metroid-like with their opening segments, until by the time you get to RE3 you have to back track several blocks to get necessary items. Even in the original game that element is a shorter portion of the game and also more abstract because it's entire city blocks, but I think it counts.

REmake 3 is interesting, I really like the beginning of the game and the ways they reimagine a lot of the sequences in general. The bug room is way better than in RE3 (though it's kind of unfair in the REmake? I swear I kept getting grabbed by bugs I couldn't see), the streets are more fun because the action actually works this time, and I'd say the hospital is much better too. I don't really mind that they cut out some areas because they weren't that fun to begin with.

Unfortunately, it's biggest problem is just that it feels ... incredibly cheap. Once you hit the second half of the game, it becomes incredibly clear the tight scripting is mostly out the window, at least imo. Which is weird because the hospital section as Jill is great, but the rest isn't. Carlos's sections are expanded which is cool, but they're also kind of repetitive which isn't cool. Some of the boss fights are kind of whatever. The underground laboratory part is just ok. I don't really mind that the game is short like most people, what I do mind is that it feels like they ran out of inspiration.

With that being said, I echo what people are saying about playing the original version of RE4. But also, I'd say that if you're ever bored and don't have anything to do, you should try playing the original RE2. Imo, despite REmake 2 being one of the greatest RE games, REmake 2 --> RE2 is actually the biggest jump in quality of the REmakes to the original. Depending on the day RE3 vs REmake 3 is a coin toss, and I definitely prefer REmake and REmake 4 to their originals, but RE2 is just definitively better than REmake 2 imo. Just a suggestion for the future of course, moving forward with the series now makes total sense. RE4 in both versions is a classic.

Wow, congrats MissingNo! You're getting through these way quicker than I could. I did play REmake 2 a few weeks after REmake 1, but had to take a break after that.

As for REmake 3, which I also played for the first time this year, I largely agree with your opinion. I was surprised to see that you didn't think the city was very Metroidvania-y, but that might just be because I had prior experience with the original game. On the PS1 at least, every game gets consecutively more Metroid-like with their opening segments, until by the time you get to RE3 you have to back track several blocks to get necessary items. Even in the original game that element is a shorter portion of the game and also more abstract because it's entire city blocks, but I think it counts.

REmake 3 is interesting, I really like the beginning of the game and the ways they reimagine a lot of the sequences in general. The bug room is way better than in RE3 (though it's kind of unfair in the REmake? I swear I kept getting grabbed by bugs I couldn't see), the streets are more fun because the action actually works this time, and I'd say the hospital is much better too. I don't really mind that they cut out some areas because they weren't that fun to begin with.

Unfortunately, it's biggest problem is just that it feels ... incredibly cheap. Once you hit the second half of the game, it becomes incredibly clear the tight scripting is mostly out the window, at least imo. Which is weird because the hospital section as Jill is great, but the rest isn't. Carlos's sections are expanded which is cool, but they're also kind of repetitive which isn't cool. Some of the boss fights are kind of whatever. The underground laboratory part is just ok. I don't really mind that the game is short like most people, what I do mind is that it feels like they ran out of inspiration.

With that being said, I echo what people are saying about playing the original version of RE4. But also, I'd say that if you're ever bored and don't have anything to do, you should try playing the original RE2. Imo, despite REmake 2 being one of the greatest RE games, REmake 2 --> RE2 is actually the biggest jump in quality of the REmakes to the original. Depending on the day RE3 vs REmake 3 is a coin toss, and I definitely prefer REmake and REmake 4 to their originals, but RE2 is just definitively better than REmake 2 imo. Just a suggestion for the future of course, moving forward with the series now makes total sense. RE4 in both versions is a classic.
If Capcom ever decides to put classic RE2 and RE3 on modern consoles, I would definitely give them a go! Without that option, I don’t think I'll go out of my way to do it.

If Capcom ever decides to put classic RE2 and RE3 on modern consoles, I would definitely give them a go! Without that option, I don’t think I'll go out of my way to do it.
Ah that's fair

E2NtAuLWQAAMUwQ.jpg

Pain.

(Also forgot to mention, Code Veronica X is an excellent shout)

RESIDENT EVIL 4 (REMAKE)​

– Euro Cult Simulator –​

Another week, another Resident Evil game. This is the one I am really curious about after all the praise it has gotten earlier this year, so I was eager to dive in – here we go again!

I've played for close to three hours so far, and first impressions are great! This feels like a vastly difference experience from its predecessors, with new mechanics, and an overhauled inventory management. The latter is sort of an upgrade to previous iterations of inventory management. Key items are separate from weapons and consumables – which is great! But it comes with a caveat: consumables that stacked in previous games (grenades come to mind here) don't stack anymore, with every single one of them taking up valuable space instead. And you can't freely put all items into storage, like you could in previous games, either. Gone are the days of hoarding ammunition, herbs, healing items, and various other consumables. It makes it feel a bit more like a sidegrade, overall, which may have been the intention, as to not make item management an absolute non-issue.

The gameplay changes, on the other hand, are just straight upgrades in my book. Parrying with your combat knife? Hell yeah, gimme that! Using the very same combat knife for stealth kills? Gimme that as well! And using the same knife yet again to finish a downed enemy? Yes, yes, yes! Make said actions deplete the knife's durability? Sounds like a fair tradeoff, otherwise it would be OP as hell.

With that out of the way, the setting is very intriguing so far, and also vastly different from anything experienced in prior RE games. Leon visits a dilapidated Spanish village in search of the President's abducted daughter, and apparently there's some sort of religious cult going on. People aren't zombies, but there definitely is something weird going on, and it becomes evident what that something might be rather early on, when Leon unwillingly gets some treatment by Señor X – or whatever "big, bastardous bloke" 4.0's actual name is. Either way, he injects Leon with what looks like some sort of parasite, which I suspect is the root cause of everything weird in this village.

The game is very linear so far, but I've seen indications of areas that only seem to be reachable via some sort of partner mechanic, so there should at least be some amount of back-tracking. Treasure hunting is a nice addition to the formula, and the Merchant, although a tad fishy, offers sidequests, which might indicate that the game should at least retain some openness even if it ends up being more on the linear side in terms of progression and exploration.

I ended my first play session at the beginning of Chapter 3. Curious to see how it will all unfold.

Progress Update – Lake and Back Again​

Picking up at the beginning of Chapter 3, I made my way back to the village. And got introduced to the dogs. Or wolves? Either way, they are the worst! I thought they sucked in previous games, but now they are tough as shit and more rabid than ever. Plus, Leon is a lot more squishy than he was in RE2. Overall, I feel like this game punishes you a lot harder for getting hit. Which makes sense, to some extent, because you can use your knife defensively, but still seems like a bit much even on standard difficulty.

Still, I made my way through the quarry, found another place where the merchant sets up camp and partook in some shooting game before stealing some gas from the locals and heading out on the lake with a boat. Where I was promptly punished for my theft by a big fish saurian? Whatever it was, it didn't put up much of a fight and never stood a chance.

With that out of the way, I was free to explore around the lake a bit, and – oh great, it’s literally the Snake Parasites from Bloodborne. Though to be fair, these ones actually predate Bloodborne’s Snake Parasites. I like that they absolutely hate flash grenades and perish in the light, which is a neat touch. Some more exploration around the lake revealed the dogs weren't spared, either – Oops! All Parasites.

Having grabbed the key to the church, I had to fight a not so jolly giant on my way back. He had worms, too, but wasn't much of a challenge. Freed Ashley and did some exploring wile I had her tag along, since she unlocked the partner mechanic the game was alluding to earlier. Found some more treasure, which is always welcome. And then I got to play some tower defense, which I enjoyed a bit more this time around compared to RE3 – if only because it felt a bit more dynamic and Luis gave a hand. After dealing with the siege, Luis confirmed that the cause of everything wrong in the village is indeed of parasitic nature, and Leon and Ashley are infected as well. Which brings me to the beginning of Chapter 6, where I'll pick it up next time.

Enjoy the way the game unfolds, even though it’s still rather linear and definitely more combat focused again. But I've put in 6.5 hours already and it doesn't even feel like I'm halfway through yet, so this might be the meatiest RE game yet. Hope I'll be able to finish it ahead of the holidays.

this is my favourite series and I'm very glad about how Capcom is managing it, minus a little rant about the lack of a Revelation-like spinoff with Switch as base platform

I love portable RE games, as RER3 via remote play on my PlayStation Vita can testify!

Let's hope they will

nail RE9, improving over the Village and 8 first person formula
speed up the non-cloud version of all the recent RE on the Switch successor
don't forget Code: Veronica in their REmake-plans

RESIDENT EVIL 3 (REMAKE)​

– Streets of Rage –​

I can't stop with my wild ride through the Resident Evil series, so, predictably, I couldn't stop myself from playing REmake 3 as well. It's only been two weeks since I've started my journey with RE1, so my memories of the previous games are still fresh. And I've already completed RE3 too, so my thoughts on it won't be split into multiple updates. I realised rather quickly that it would be better if I made one big post on it.

The beginning of the game kind of caught me off guard. Once you are dropped into gameplay, you don't find yourself in a metroidvania-esque setup with lots of exploration and backtracking. Instead, you find yourself in the streets of Raccoon City. And while there is some exploration there, this entire opening segment is over rather quickly. Power up the train station (while having to deal with the nastiest, ickiest enemies in the series so far), re-route the subway. Sounds simple enough. There's not a lot of meat on that bone, and it quickly becomes apparent why that might be the case: Nemesis. The game seems to largely be designed around him being a permanent pain in the ass. Which is fine. He does a much better job with that than Mr. X ever did, too. Being more agile, jumping around instead of just slow-walking menacingly. He got me good, a couple of times, because he knew how to show up at the most inopportune moments while I was trying to clean up the items I missed in various nooks and crannies. Another thing that threw me kinda off guard was the much, much higher density of zombies compared to the first two games. They were a legitimate pain to deal with in larger numbers, which would especially be the case in Carlos' gameplay segments – but more on that later, obviously.

Inevitably, I found myself in the sewers, again. This iteration of it was a lot less harsh than the RE2 version, so I enjoyed having a bit of a breather down there, because Nemesis minded the stink too much to come after me. However, it really was just a tiny breather, because I quickly found myself having a rooftop party with Nemesis instead. Things got a bit too heated, so I decided to dip out, which made him chase me angrily through the streets of RC, again. I noticed RPD to my right on the way back to the train station, but more on that later. And also Kendo's gun shop. Neat!

Anyway, hopped on the train, things went terribly wrong because Nemesis just won't quit, and I found myself controlling Carlos, and being back in RPD all of a sudden. Having played RE2 that recently, I breezed through that part, but it also made me realise that RE3 takes place pretty much simultaneously to RE2, only slightly sooner (at least in that segment). I enjoyed my short trip back here, even though there were way too many zombies in some spots. And just like the sewers, this segment was over rather quickly, so I found myself back in control of Jill again, made my way out the subway tunnels, and had to fight Nemesis again. Only this time he was larger, even more pissed off, and more heavily mutated. I really liked this boss fight, as it was pretty straightforward but fun to execute. Mine rounds made this a cake walk.

After that, it was time to run through the hospital to get Jill vaccinated. This put me back in control of Carlos, and I absolutely hated this part. It was pure agony. Zombies were more plentiful than ever, and once the Hunters started to appear on the upper floor, the pain started to get real. Carlos doesn't have access to high impact weapons. No shotgun, no grenade launcher. Hand grenades are the only viable option in that regard, but their supply is limited. And so, dealing with the Hunters, even though I appreciated seeing them again after they've been absent from RE2, was a lot more painful than it should have been. But complaining didn't help here, so I powered through, got the vaccine, and gave it to Jill. After an agonizing intermission of zombie horde mode, I was back in control of Jill again. And her run through the hospital was much more enjoyable, because shotgun and grenade launcher in hand, the Hunters were laughably tame and the groups of zombies no problem either. It was Carlos' fault all along!

The underground warehouse section was over rather quickly, and so was the lab section. I still disliked how there were spots that were just crawling with zombies, but Jill's arsenal at least makes those congregations easier to deal with. Vaccine in hand, I made my way out, only to get stopped in my tracks by Nemesis. Again.

This boss fight was a lot harder on me than it should have been. It was basically a redo of the last Nemesis boss fight, with the twist of having to shoot the corresponding panels Carlos points out to you within a given window. The trouble I faced was that I was too slow to spot the panels because I got disoriented disposing of the zombies that drop into the arena mid fight, but I did it nonetheless, and Nemesis dissolved into acid, being done for good this time. Right?

Riiight. Nemesis is back as an even further mutated, massive blob, but this iteration of him made for the easiest boss fight yet. And the most satisfying as well, because you get to shoot him with a big zapper. Until he dies. For good this time. Good.

Overall, my thoughts on REmake 3 are kind of split. I like some aspects of it a lot. Nemesis, despite being a pain in the ass, was great to have around as a constantly looming threat in the early stages of the game. I like the introduction of an evasive move in this one, which is something I haven't even touched on yet. And I also like how the game ties into REmake 2, and brings the storyline of 1-3 together.

However, I'm not a fan of Carlos' segments. It wouldn't be that big of a deal he had access to a shotgun as well, but when spraying and praying with your AR is the only option you have when facing 5-6 zombies simultaneously, it makes things harder than they should be, when taking limited ammo into account. I will concede that this might actually just be me being bad at it.

The game being way more linear than the first two is something that makes sense in the context of Nemesis for the introductory stages of the game, but the game never really opened up later, either. I can live with it, however, as I feel it still all connected together well enough. Though the lack of a 2nd run equivalent means the replayability value of this one is going to be a lot lower for me when compared to its predecessors as well.

The one thing I really disliked was the infuriatingly high zombie density. Again, this does make sense in terms of the story/setting, especially in the streets segments, so I understand why they did it. But putting them in groups of ~5 very frequently got old for me fast. REmake 2 did this as well, but only occasionally, which also gave it more impact when it happened. Another thing I wasn't too fond of was how fast-paced the game was in general. Pretty much all segments were over as quickly as they started, with the possible exception of the hospital – and even then, that was more down to me being bad with Carlos' arsenal, so it took me longer than it should have. I also died a lot more in this game, in attempts to preserve as many healing items as possible. But in the end, this was entirely unnecessary, and I ended with a sizable surplus of them, due to just how quickly it was all over.

Overall, while I still had a good time, this one left me with a couple of gripes. Out of the now three RE games I've played, I liked this one the least, which isn't to say that I think it's a bad game. On the contrary, it's still been mostly enjoyable, with both its strengths and its weaknesses rather closely related to Nemesis being the focal point of the game. It's just the previous ones set the bar extremely high, and you naturally can't always hit those same highs.

BpKkDJK.png

So, what's next?​

I want to say probably a bit of a break from the series for now, but I don't know how long that will hold. REmake 4 being currently on sale makes me want to grab it so I won't have to wait until the next time it goes on sale once the mood strikes me. And I also still have RE0 to go through, which I already own.

Looking further ahead, I'm unsure how to continue past that. RE5 and 6 might get remakes later on as well, so I'm not sure what to do here. I'm interested in Village, but from what I understand, it's a direct sequel to RE7 – which is first person only and I'm not sure I want to play a first person survival horror game.

So in that regard, I'd appreciate any input I can get.

RE3 Remake is by far the least faithful to the original game, and also the worst one unfortunately.

No progress to report, busy times for me. However, I got RE4+5+6 for a tenner on sale, and Code: Veronica X for the price of a cup of coffee at a restaurant. So that's nice!

I might also bite on RE7 Gold Edition + RE8 Gold Edition for 30€.

No progress to report, busy times for me. However, I got RE4+5+6 for a tenner on sale, and Code: Veronica X for the price of a cup of coffee at a restaurant. So that's nice!

I might also bite on RE7 Gold Edition + RE8 Gold Edition for 30€.
I can't overstate how much I'm enjoying your efficient metamorphosis into an RE superfan. Now you own Code Veronica; once you play through it you know you're in deep.

New short video for the upcoming ports. Forgot this was out soon.

There is literally no reason for me to get this, but uh...I kind of want to get this. Was really impressed with the RE: Village Demo, and the Death Stranding port that I really want seems to be delayed to next year now.

I can't overstate how much I'm enjoying your efficient metamorphosis into an RE superfan. Now you own Code Veronica; once you play through it you know you're in deep.

There is literally no reason for me to get this, but uh...I kind of want to get this. Was really impressed with the RE: Village Demo, and the Death Stranding port that I really want seems to be delayed to next year now.

I checked the store and trailer, and it seems like this will be free to try as well. This one is a bit more tempting than Village because the purchase includes mac also it seems?

I checked the store and trailer, and it seems like this will be free to try as well. This one is a bit more tempting than Village because the purchase includes mac also it seems?
Oh, wow! That’s generous. I wonder why they didn’t do it with Village. I wonder if they’re selling Separate Ways for this release or if it’s included?

OP, I see you don’t have Revelations 1 & 2 on your list of future playthroughs! Please do not skip out on these games! Especially Revelations 2, which is basically a sequel to Code Veronica X.

Oh, wow! That’s generous. I wonder why they didn’t do it with Village. I wonder if they’re selling Separate Ways for this release or if it’s included?

Village launched on mac last year so I think they might have had issues updating that to bring in iphone / ipad support? This one is built for all 3 from the start I assume. Since they are selling the extra DLC cosmetic/OST stuff like on console, I assume Sep Ways is also paid here. The trailer mentions a launch price so maybe a good deal?

OP, I see you don’t have Revelations 1 & 2 on your list of future playthroughs! Please do not skip out on these games! Especially Revelations 2, which is basically a sequel to Code Veronica X.
No worries, I mean to get to them eventually! I just want to do the numbered ones first, is all.

Code: Veronica X snuck in there because I got it for like 3,50€, and 0 (though I guess that one is technically numbered) because it came with RE1.

As someone who is also a RE4 insane person, I’m also considering buying it for Mac as well just out of sheer curiosity.

Progress Update – Fury in the Slaughterhouse​

Finally managed to get a bit more playtime in, so here's my report on it.

I picked back up at the beginning of chapter 6, and it was just non-stop action all the way. The first roadblock to overcome were the chainsaw sisters, joined by the angry mob. Immediately after that, outrunning Mendez proved a bit of a challenge because Ashley wasn't as adept at slithering through the mob as I was, but you can't lose too much time killing them either or Mendez will catch up, so this took me some trial and error, but nothing too egregious.

The boss fight against Mendez, on the other hand, was perfectly fine. I got hit by him throwing burning scrap wood a bit more often than I would have liked – where's my evade button, Capcom – but otherwise things went smoothly, and it was a fun fight overall.

Then, it was time to enter the castle area. I struggled a fair bit here, specifically in the segment where you keep being shot at with catapults. Firing back with the cannon was cathartic, though, and so I managed to enter the castle proper. The action didn't stop there, at first. I got introduced to some absolute weirdo who sent his hounds on me, which I disposed of easily enough. I was lucky to have grenades on me, as I'm not sure how I would have dealt with the shielded enemies otherwise. And then there was that blind, heavily clawed fella down in the dungeons. Luckily his parasite was exposed, so I was able to attack its weak point for massive damage.

After that, it was time for some quiet exploration, and extremely light puzzle solving involving four sword replicas. Neat. Having reached the next save room, I decided to call it for now, in the middle of chapter 7, exhausted from all the action, but satisfied with the progress I made.

Progress Update – Stumbling around the castle​

It was a good thing I took a break where I did. The next room was basically a gauntlet, and I think I would have burned out on it had I just kept on playing last time. All in all, it was rather fun, though keeping enemies off Ashley can be a bit of a challenge at times. I did like the part where she went to raise the platforms and I had to protect her from afar while she did it. Which wrapped up chapter 7.

After that, we got separated for story reasons, so I had to keep exploring myself. Got into another mini-gauntlet, got briefly interrupted by Ada – then got introduced to the most disgusting spider-like parasites, and made my way around the battlements, where I had to dodge a giant throwing debris at me while dealing with enemies trying to obstruct my path, and then proceeded to shoot him with a cannonball, just before getting reunited with Ashley. All in a day's work, for a very brisk chapter 8.

I did traverse the labyrinth and reached the next save room before I decided to call it for now yet again. I still don't feel like I'm anywhere close to the end after ~10 hours of playtime, and it's admittedly starting to wear me out a bit. The action is great, but I do wish puzzles were a thing in this game to create a better balance, because it is pretty much all action all the time, and the only variety you get is some light, quiet exploration every now and then.

Looking forward to continuing my playthrough nonetheless, though my hopes of being able to wrap it up before the holidays were seemingly a bit lofty.

Back
Top Bottom