• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP Resident Evil Series |LTTP| REmake 4 Completed (Open Spoilers)

(Late to the party)

MissingNo.

Squirtle Squad Leader
Pronouns
he/him

Update: This is now a LTTP thread for the Resident Evil Series as a whole. The original OP remains untouched further below.

Finished playthroughs:​

REmake (Jill, Chris)
REmake 2 (Leon, Claire)
REmake 3
REmake 4

Currently in progress:​

N/A​

Future playthroughs:​

REmake 4 – Separate Ways
RE 5
RE 6
RE 0
RE Code: Veronica X​

RESIDENT EVIL (REMAKE)​

– Spencer's Mansion –​

Last year, I played through the Devil May Cry series for the first time ever and had a LTTP thread to go along with it. And since that was a fun thing to do, I decided I wanted to do the same for my first playthrough of Resident Evil (HD Remaster).

Full disclosure: I've never played any Resident Evil game, or any Survival Horror in general. I've always been intrigued by the series, but never really found it in me to take the dive. Recently, however, I found I finally wanted to give it a shot, and the RE1+RE0 bundle was on sale for 9,99€, so here we are, at long last – welcome to what's a super-mega late to the party first time ever playthrough of Resident Evil 1.

What happened so far?​

For starters, I decided to go with Jill for my first playthrough, and went with the easiest difficulty option and 'modern' controls to ease me into the genre. I couldn't possibly deal with tank controls, so the modern control scheme is very welcome.

I've played for about four hours so far, and here's a quick rundown of what happened and my thoughts so far.
  • The mansion is eerie and dingy, and I already love it. Combat is a bit stiff, but otherwise the game holds up surprisingly well so far.
  • I managed to get the sword key without complications, and had some fun exploring the mansion. I killed more zombies than you can shake a stick at, because they are just so damn noisy and I like my eerie mansion all nice and quiet. This surely won't come back to bite me in the behind, how could it possibly?
  • Found the shotgun, but haven't really used it yet.
  • Found a bunch of assorted key items I don't really know what to do with just now, but eh, I'll figure it out. Also a map, hooray!
  • Managed to get the armour key, which went pretty smooth as well. Yes, the contraption did kill me before I found out where I could get the imitation of a key. I was curious, okay?
  • Armour key in hand, I unlocked all the doors I possibly could. Found Richard, but didn't manage to give him the serum quickly enough. RIP, Richard.
  • Oh yeah, all those zombies I killed came back as faster, redder variants. Niiiiiice...
  • Got assaulted by a bee as a reward for solving a puzzle. Oh, and some sort of wind medallion, which will come in handy at some point?
  • Did a bunch more exploring, and solved a portrait riddle. Got rewarded with a face mask, set it in place, and what is sure to be Dracula's coffin suspended beneath the ceiling joyfully wiggled its tail in response. I also started to burn some dead, but not really dead, zombies which should hopefully contain the red undead plague to an extent.
  • Found the grenade launcher. Yet to use it.
  • Got gassed to death in a room with moving sets of knight armour. Gotta return later, I suppose.
  • Found some snakes in the backyard next to the water pump. Not sure what to do here just yet.
  • Played the piano (because of course Jill can just play Moonlight Sonata without batting an eye as long as she has the notes in front of her, tsk), and found the shield key in the process.
  • Wasted way too much time trying to figure out where to use said key, finally found it, and had to fight a big snake. It slithered away like a coward, but left another face mask. Progress!
  • Itchy. Tasty.
I think that pretty much covers my experience for the first four hours. If I like this game enough (things are looking pretty good so far), I will play the others as well.

Last edited:
I’m so excited for you playing Resident Evil for the first time! It was a sound choice to go with modern controls. Also, yes, try to decrease the chances of Crimson Heads as much as possible. I assume the easiest difficulty gives you a surplus of ammo and stuff.

REmake is one of my favorite gamecube games, and it really holds up even now thanks to the new control scheme. And it still looks pretty incredible. The mansion is one of the best videogame locations of all time IMO - the atmosphere and feel of it is just so good. Looking forward to hearing more of your progress!

I love the fact that veterans of the original came in like “oh man this game feels like new” and they start dropping zombies, feeling proud.

Until that one moment when you come across where they rise up again as Crimson Heads. Love it. Hope you got some kerosine :)

Amazing game though. So many special moments. Scary stuff. Fantastic vibe.

I just couldn't do it with the camera angles and tank controls (so I watched a playthrough online) so I dropped the game a couple hours in. Which is a little strange considering I'm literally playing silent hill 1 right now and the controls aren't bothering me too much.

There is one part of me that would love to see RE1 redone the same way 2, 3, and 4 were.

Then there is the other part of me that just hopes they leave it be so that people who want to play all the mainline games are forced to actually try this style. I know it's a tough game to get into for some, but it's so damn well done.

I’m so excited for you playing Resident Evil for the first time! It was a sound choice to go with modern controls. Also, yes, try to decrease the chances of Crimson Heads as much as possible. I assume the easiest difficulty gives you a surplus of ammo and stuff.
Plenty of ammo to go around so far, so it should be doable, even though I already regret having killed so many of them when they are quite easily avoidable for the most part. Until they resurrect as crimson heads, at which point it gets more spicy.

I love the fact that veterans of the original came in like “oh man this game feels like new” and they start dropping zombies, feeling proud.

Until that one moment when you come across where they rise up again as Crimson Heads. Love it. Hope you got some kerosine :)

Amazing game though. So many special moments. Scary stuff. Fantastic vibe.
Got plenty of kerosine for now, but I feel like I have to strategise with which ones I want to be dead dead, because there's no way there is gonna be enough kerosine to burn all of them.

Wha.. wait modern control scheme? I didn't know it had that option... maybe I should go back and try it again.
Yup, I think it's even set as standard when you first start the game? But it's definitely an option either way.

There is one part of me that would love to see RE1 redone the same way 2, 3, and 4 were.

Then there is the other part of me that just hopes they leave it be so that people who want to play all the mainline games are forced to actually try this style. I know it's a tough game to get into for some, but it's so damn well done.
Honestly, it holds up so well that I don’t think it needs another remake in the RE2-4 style. Not saying that I would hate if they did it, but the game still feels incredibly good, even for someone who never played it before.

Honestly, it holds up so well that I don’t think it needs another remake in the RE2-4 style. Not saying that I would hate if they did it, but the game still feels incredibly good, even for someone who never played it before.
Oh for sure, I'd be all over that shit and I'm sure it would be great. It's just the illogical RE fan in me that would be upset that people now have a legit reason to just ignore the classic style for good lol.

I honestly think the limited inventory is a much tougher pill to swallow than the camera angles and control scheme. It requires a lot of back and forth, which I personally never minded that much since I'm a psycho that likes to collect every item and shove it in the storage box anyways.

Yeah, I actually like the standard controls even. It allows you to sprint at a pretty quick pace in hallways without having to constantly readjust your direction because you can just strafe with the analog stick. Which is ironically the entire point of modern controls, but all that really does is make sprinting while changing directions pretty hard.

It is a very hard game to get into. I had tried it a few times before finally managing an entire playthrough in 2020, even earlier in that same year. The combination of how punishing it can be mixed with the fact that you have to actually think about where you're going (which I feel like even the other metroidvaniaesque RE games don't really push as much?) is brutal. Once I finally finished it though it became my favorite game of all time. So masterful, with so many great design choices, on top of the art and music being timeless.

Oh for sure, I'd be all over that shit and I'm sure it would be great. It's just the illogical RE fan in me that would be upset that people now have a legit reason to just ignore the classic style for good lol.

I honestly think the limited inventory is a much tougher pill to swallow than the camera angles and control scheme. It requires a lot of back and forth, which I personally never minded that much since I'm a psycho that likes to collect every item and shove it in the storage box anyways.
Yeah, when I went in I didn’t really know inventory management would be quite as big a deal as it is. Really makes you think what is absolutely essential to haul along. Healing items? Get out of here! Also means I'm limiting myself to one weapon only, because everything else seems like surplus when a weapon plus ammo takes up a quarter of your total inventory space.

I suppose this gets even tougher as you up the difficulty and maybe really want to take a healing item with you.

I suppose this gets even tougher as you up the difficulty and maybe really want to take a healing item with you.
Yup, especially when playing as Chris and you get 2 less inventory slots. But it makes the replayability all the more interesting (which RE is great at in general).

I suppose this gets even tougher as you up the difficulty and maybe really want to take a healing item with you
Ayup! Harder difficulties sort of assume you’re familiar with the layout and enemy placement, and they expect inventory management with surgical precision. Well, either that or just do a lot of running back and forth… (I’m guilty of that lol)

I never wanted to like a game more than REmake. It was just too hard for me to get over the save insecurity (I don’t like when a game pressures me to play for X amount of time). I also don’t like when games are artificially difficult (the two dogs you see on the balcony took me a few tries my first playthrough solely due to my character whiffing shots).

Top 5 game of all time for me. I can't imagine not playing with tank controls haha. The Mansion is absolutely brilliant and the static backgrounds are gorgeous. I really wish Capcom would go back to this style, even just as a one off.

It's awesome reading a first timer's thoughts! Resident Evil (2002) is easily among the best survival horror games and best remakes of all time. It's a 10/10, and I think that's largely attributable to the fact that Mikami and Kobayashi themselves felt it was necessary, believing they could improve upon their own game... and boy did they ever. You made the right call picking this one to dive into the genre with.

I too did my first playthrough as Jill with modern controls, and that felt like the way to go. Roughly two weeks later, I had the platinum trophy in hand, and it was melancholic, because I admittedly wanted to keep playing. It's weird, but the game's vibe is uniquely "cozy" to me (or at least as cozy as a survival horror game can reasonably feel). The only other RE game that approximates its mood and tone is RE0, and that game is quite thoroughly awful in a myriad of ways I won't get into right now. If RE0 is the one you decide to play next (since it was part of your bundle), don't feel bad if you end up dropping it after a couple hours. It's seriously the worst numbered RE entry, imo.

Anyway, from all you've written, it sounds like you're progressing through the game well. Crimson Heads are brilliantly scary, and a cruel noob trap that I think we all fall into on our first playthrough. 😅 They weren't in the original RE1, instead being one of the things the remake added in order to keep players on their toes. I'm looking forward to reading your next update.

I'd love another RE1 remake in the modern style. I feel like since there's already a flawless remake out there, they'd be able to diverge from it in some ways, and hopefully make a few interesting changes to the way we progress through the mansion.

It's weird, but the game's vibe is uniquely "cozy" to me (or at least as cozy as a survival horror game can reasonably feel).

I'd love another RE1 remake in the modern style. I feel like since there's already a flawless remake out there, they'd be able to diverge from it in some ways, and hopefully make a few interesting changes to the way we progress through the mansion.

I've always found something very cozy about Classic RE (0-3, CVX). Maybe not on the first playthrough, but I think these games just have such a strong sense of place that you become familiar with the main locations as you backtrack through them over and over, they start to feel like home in a sense. Most of the characters are also really endearing as well, and you get to even play as many of the side characters, even just for a bit. And of course, the save room music in all these games is absolutely gorgeous and feels like being wrapped up in a safe warm blanket.

Count me in for also wanting a REmake of REmake. Much like 2-4, these games don't replace the originals, but rather expand upon them in interesting ways, and make me appreciate the originals even more. As you said, they can diverge pretty heavily. I want a Barry campaign, dammit!

This thread is making me really want to replay REmake ... but seeing as how I'm working my way through my backlog and I just started Thief: The Dark Project and Bioshock II I probably shouldn't do that ...

I should probably continue my Code Veronica playthrough and restart RE0 anyways

Also, count me in as someone who wouldn't mind a REmake of REmake (as a one time thing, don't REmake the other REmakes)

Progress Update – Spiders, sharks, and bees​

I've managed to put in another 4,5 hours and made what I consider to be some decent progress. After a lot of wasted time double checking everything, I reached the conclusion that there are only two ways forward: the strange dancing snakes by the water pump, and the room with the moving knight armours. So I spent some time trying to figure out what to do there.
  • I solved the one with the water pump first, but it took me way longer than it probably should have. I noticed the "snakes" seemed not to be fussed by being showered by the water fountain, and was legitimately stumped as to what I had to do here. I considered electrocution, but didn't have anything in my stash that would help with that, and wasn't able to find anything either. Rifling through my stash though, I did notice the herbicide I picked up ages ago, and decided the snakes might actually not be snakes after all, given they seemed to be stuck in place, so I gave it a shot. And voila, face mask number three.
  • The gassy room I just couldn't figure out legitimately. I noticed the armour sets could be pushed back into place, but only figured out the exact order through continuous retries. Are there clues hinting at the correct order and I just missed them? Very likely. But ultimately, face mask number four, and time to awaken Dracula.
  • Well, that was anticlimactic. Dracula wasn't Dracula at all, much like the snakes weren't snakes. I did have a hunch where to use that octagonal emblem though, and quickly found my way outside to kill some dogs, get molested by ravens while solving a "puzzle" to get obtain the Magnum, and arrived at a shed, found the crank, and got some rest. Only to get assaulted by a whatever the hell that was, so I noped back out, proceeded to open the sluices, and made my way to the residence. All of which went rather smoothly, which was nice after the pains I went through to get the last two face masks.
  • Things went rather breezy in the residence as well. Killed some oversized spiders, got assaulted by bees for finding the residence map, reunited with Barry, and did a lot of going back and forth to ultimately be able to drain the water and get rid of the sharks in the basement. This included frying a big shark. Found some more snakes vines that apparently belong to "Plant 42", but had no herbicide on me to deal with it. I did find a note telling me how to get rid of it, though, so I followed the instructions after getting assaulted by bees again (seriously, what is it with all those bees?) and solving the most convoluted numbers and colours puzzle in existence. Finally got the helmet key. All of this took me a lot more going back and forth through the residence than I'd care to admit.
  • Wesker is still alive, haven't seen him in a while.
  • Back to the mansion to use the armour key! I sure hope hunters don't come back as crimson heads, because that would be fun. Turns out there aren't that many places to use it, so that went rather smoothly as well. Found some gems, solved the tiger statue puzzle, and got the MO disk, which I will surely have forgotten about by the time I need to use it. Found a medallion in a book, managed to get the elevator up and running again, and met the big snake (this one definitely is a snake) again – this time it wasn't smart enough to take a hike, so it died instead. Can't wait for it to return as Zombie Snake. Found another medallion in a book, but perhaps more importantly found a battery on my way back to a save room, and remembered there was an elevator that lacked a power supply down by the residence. So I guess it's time to head back there, which I will report on next time.

Also played it for the first time this Halloween. It was alright, I had an okay time, but the game shows its age too much.

The inventory management is way too overwhelming, I'd say 40% of my playtime was going back and forth to drop and retrieve items. Some of the puzzles were also obtuse if not outright trial and error. A late game puzzle where you have limited time to do a bunch of completely random stuff and will lose progress if you fail was when I decided I didn't like the puzzles at all.

Limiting how many times you can save is certainly a choice, I can't imagine playing on higher difficulties without enough typewriter tapes.

I think it's the best in the series by far forever and always, but I've been playing them since release as a child so my bias is skewed. I'm glad you're having fun in the most expensive, devious, maniacal trap ever conceived by virus ridden minds! Mwuhahaha...

Tank controls are actually better though, you're missing out!

In case you’ve never seen the original’s intro
I want a whole film like this so badly!!! Always have.

I can't imagine playing on higher difficulties without enough typewriter tapes.
It becomes an arcade game once you know what you're looking for, I dunno how to explain it, you start dodging enemies and not wasting ammo or heals and always end up with a surplus of both.

I loved the original in the 90s. Have very fond memories of me and my friends playing this together, doing the puzzles in 'co-op' and being simultaneously jump scared by the dogs coming through the windows.

The remake is really great. Best game in the series for me. I wish they would use a different inventory system though. Even the modern remake of 2 was still way too limited.
Limit guns and ammo, but let me carry all keys, keycards or other puzzle items around, please.

So glad you’re getting to this @MissingNo. , and it sounds like you’re making very steady progress!

In case you’ve never seen the original’s intro starring Wesker as The Biggest Doofus of All Time:

Omg, the live action scenes are so goofy and the voice acting is so stilted and cheesy. Love it.

I think it's the best in the series by far forever and always, but I've been playing them since release as a child so my bias is skewed. I'm glad you're having fun in the most expensive, devious, maniacal trap ever conceived by virus ridden minds! Mwuhahaha...

Tank controls are actually better though, you're missing out

Tank controls would definitely help with some of the more erratic camera angle changes, but I just can't deal with them for the life of me. Tank controls have me fumbling around like a toddler.

Progress Update – Rolling Stones meets Alice in Chains​

After ten hours of playtime, it feels like I'm nearing the end, so this should be the penultimate update to my REmake playthrough. A lot has happened since the last update, and crammed into a small amount of time to boot, so here's what's happened:
  • Headed back to the courtyard to install the power supply and got the elevator up and running again, which, to my confusion, took me back to where I started? Luckily I immediately realised I probably had to close the sluices again for this newly unlocked path to make any sense whatsoever, so I did some backtracking to get the crank out of my stash and did just that.
  • Surprise, surprise. The waterfall at the bottom of the elevator had concealed a hidden entrance all along! This was the start of a very linear, albeit fun excursion, that had me evade some boulders and kill a slightly bigger spider along the way. There was also some long forgotten team member (seriously, was he ever even introduced?) that got shot in Jills presence, but of course she couldn't be bothered to slightly swivel her head to find out whodunnit.
  • Got the elevator going again, only for Barry to leave me stranded. Feel like the game is trying a bit too hard to push me to be suspicious of him between that and the scene earlier in the residence where I found him talking to "himself".
  • Saw that "thing" again that assaulted me way back in the shed, noped out again.
  • Had to find another way out, and found what has to be a certain Lisa Trevor's hiding place, according to a wildly disturbing diary entry, and the stone ring, which I didn't know what to do with.
  • Found the way out and when I realised where I was now, and that I had only ever seen the creepy "thing" at the two exits of Lisa's hiding place, it dawned on me that the "thing" actually might be Lisa, which is... Yeah.
  • After double checking the map, I was 99% sure the only way forward was a locked gate in the mansion's main hall, so back to the mansion I went. After some digging around in my stash, I solved a literal puzzle to get a metal object, which I combined with the metal ring to create a stone and metal object – an exact replica of the one I needed to reach the courtyard. And what else needs two octagonal shaped objects to unlock? The final gate to unlock in the mansion. Neat.
  • Opened said gate, went down the stairway to hell, and encountered Lisa again. Decided to hand Barry his gun back, which turned out well, and the achievement unlock confirmed that thing to actually be Lisa Trevor. Not neat.
  • Having dealt with her, I pressed on and found myself in the Laboratory. Which seems like a nice stopping point for now.
I know I'm not quite done just yet, though I think I should be pretty close, but I can already make the conclusion that I really enjoyed the puzzles in this one. Some of them were mildly infuriating for me (looking at you, gassy room and herbicide fountain), others almost excessively convoluted (the whole V-Jolt creation saga), and others yet again were a bit finicky in execution (moving a statue between two walls closing in on one another); but overall I managed to figure out what I had to do for each of them reasonably quickly. Some of them were even quick one and done kind of deals, and it's always nice when your first sensible thought to solve it actually results in success.

Very much looking forward to finding out what not at all spooky surprises the Laboratory will have in store for me.

Progress Update – Boom goes the dynamite​

This is it. The final stretch. It has been a fun ride, but not before things got even more disgusting.
  • Stupid. Icky. Bugs. Ewww. Pump them full of shotgun shells, until they dissolve in what seems like their own acidic bodily fluids. This is where I draw the line. Exterminate.
  • Other than that, this has been a nice, straightforward 90 minute session that was rather breezy as well. Found Chris, but couldn't free him yet. Reunited with Barry, who led me straight to Wesker, who, big surprise, is the actual asshole of the group. "Killed" the Tyrant, escaped to the rooftop, picking up Chris in the meantime, after the door magically unlocked during the escape sequence, and then killed Tyrant for good and flew off into the sunset.
So yeah, this came to a close a little earlier/more abruptly than even I expected, but my overall opinion on my experience with the game still stands. I enjoyed it a lot, I really dug the atmosphere and the environmental story telling, I think the game still holds up incredibly well, and I'm looking forward to replaying it sometime with Chris and up the difficulty now I know what I'll have to do. My one criticism would be that the last stretch of the game is very linear in stark contrast to the rest of the game, but that's literally the only thing I can think of, and it doesn't detract from the overall experience, so I'll let it slide.

Stats for posterity:

nM39fcx.jpg

Yeah, I did save a lot, and wasted a shit ton of ammo, didn't I. Most of those deaths were trying to figure out death trap puzzles, but I got killed once by a zombie, and Lisa managed to push me off the platform twice, which, good for her!

One thing is certain: I don't know how soon I'll want to do it, but I definitely enjoyed REmake enough that I also want to play REmake 2, 3, and 4 eventually. I'll want to space them out somewhat so I won't burn out on the series, but I'll definitely do it at some point, and I might keep using this thread to share my thoughts.

Congratulations on finishing REmake! It really does stand the test of time. I will wait with bated breath for you to continue your Resident Evil journey. Though I agree that that you should space them out. In general it can get a bit exhausting to play tense survival horror games back to back.

RE games are also very replayable, so definitely try that out when you get the chance!

One thing is certain: I don't know how soon I'll want to do it, but I definitely enjoyed REmake enough that I also want to play REmake 2, 3, and 4 eventually. I'll want to space them out somewhat so I won't burn out on the series, but I'll definitely do it at some point, and I might keep using this thread to share my thoughts.

Try out Resident Evil 0 if you get a chance. It isn't as good as 2 and 3, but it has a really fun two character experience.

Try out Resident Evil 0 if you get a chance. It isn't as good as 2 and 3, but it has a really fun two character experience.
Hm, I probably should play 0 before I continue with 2 and onward (especially since it came bundled with 1). But at the same time, I really want to play the modern remakes next. Decisions, decisions…

I'll be busy with DQ Monsters starting Friday anyway, so I'll have plenty of time to make up my mind.

Hm, I probably should play 0 before I continue with 2 and onward (especially since it came bundled with 1). But at the same time, I really want to play the modern remakes next. Decisions, decisions…
Play REmake 2 next, it is infinitely better. But this advice from meatbag-

In general it can get a bit exhausting to play tense survival horror games back to back. RE games are also very replayable, so definitely try that out when you get the chance!

- is exactly what I've found as well!

Tank controls have me fumbling around like a toddler.
Oh you might be 180-turning and sprinting in no time with a little practice! Hahaha. I hear you though.

So, uhm, I somehow couldn't help myself and replayed REmake immediately, this time with Chris, and upping the difficulty to easy. Things went a lot better (not to mention a lot quicker) than last time around!

I think I actually prefer Chris' route. More limited inventory makes it even more of a hassle (the lack of a lock-pick too, though to a lesser extent), but I enjoyed Rebecca absolutely mangling Moonlight Sonata only to learn to play it within three minutes, and managed to save Richard this time around, which was utterly pointless. Also, Wesker got destroyed in this route, which seems like nice karma.

Now I'm done with RE1 for good, at least until I potentially replay it during next year's spooky season on a higher difficulty.

I'll be busy with DQ Monsters starting Friday anyway, so I'll have plenty of time to make up my mind.

REmake is a far, far more faithful remake than 2, 3 and 4 REmakes, to the point where they are essentially different games. If you are looking for something similar to what you just played, play the originals. But if you want something more actiony, go with the other REmakes.

REmake is a far, far more faithful remake than 2, 3 and 4 REmakes, to the point where they are essentially different games. If you are looking for something similar to what you just played, play the originals. But if you want something more actiony, go with the other REmakes.
I'm going with the remakes for sure, especially since the original versions of 2 and 3 aren’t really readily available. I guess 0 will scratch that classic RE itch, and if not that, I'll always have REmake.

Will be interesting to see whether they remake 5 and 6 as well or just leave them.

I don't think REmake 4 is actually less faithful than REmake, both have a pretty similar way of touching up the original, and even REmake 2 would be similar in faithfulness if it just had multiple routes and a good story (lol)

Now I'm done with RE1 for good, at least until I potentially replay it during next year's spooky season on a higher difficulty.
Congratulations on playing REmake! I did the exact same thing, replaying as Chris almost immediately after playing as Jill. It truly is a testament to the game how addictive it can be, lol.

The only thing that makes me like Chris less is the plant combination. Otherwise I think I like him a little bit more because the experience of passing the game a second time after immediately beating it and putting all your skills to the test is amazing.

Have fun with the other REmakes. I'd say that you should consider maybe skipping 0 for now as it's similar to REmake in gameplay style but also very challenging and awkward in certain ways. I like it but it's probably one of the least liked mainline games in the entire series. But whatever you feel like playing next you won't go wrong.

Awesome that you enjoyed REmake! One of us! One of us!

I agree with other posters, too much RE in quick succession might burn you out, but, you will really see some amazing stuff in the remakes. If I might give you some advice on what to play next;

- I see RE Zero talk and while its not the best traditional game in the series, its still a fun entry. Storywise its nonsense as it only creates more questions and answers none, but it it has some interesting locations (Train!), some interesting enemies and mechanics too. Its the final traditional RE made, so its always cool to check it out. Just beware of leeches. Don’t say I warned you.

- This is a personal opinion, but don’t play Code Veronica X. I mean the game has its charms like the completely crazy baddies and out there Umbrella secrets, but its the worst of the tradtional RE games. I only rate RE 6 lower.

- You cant go wrong with the remakes. They are all amazing. RE 2 is one of the best games from last gen, RE 3 is weaker, but still a fun romp and 4 is… chef’s kiss.

- The Revelations games are fun too. Keep in mind that the original remains a handheld game and was designed that way. Revelations 2 is a fun game too. Has the weirdest, quite possibly the worst dialogue in the series though.

- If you want to play RE 5, its more fun in co-op. The base game from ‘09 was flawed, but they tweaked it with re-releases and the addition of the DLC chapters.

- RE 6… well if you want to see for yourself how good intentions can negatively influence a game, I would recommend it. Its the lowest point of the series and its an amazing case study on how one game can feel so lopsided thanks to the development.

- RE VII and Village can be played down the road but the first one is a banger. Welcome to the family son!

- If you want to play RE 5, its more fun in co-op. The base game from ‘09 was flawed, but they tweaked it with re-releases and the addition of the DLC chapters.
As someone who thinks RE5 is probably the weakest mainline game they've played, I cannot stress enough how good Lost in Nightmares is. And not because of the RE1 nostalgia fuel, it's just genuinely a great DLC that somehow managed to make a convincing argument for why a co-op horror game can work ... better than the main game. It's map design and puzzles definitely aren't at the same level as the classic games its aping, but it did something that the base game almost never did: it managed to make puzzles work in a co-op game. On top of that the tension in certain parts is genuinely pretty good, and the original enemies are really interesting with a bit of a ... Silent Hill vibe, of all things?

In contrast, Desperate Escape is bad. Really really bad. Ok, more unimpressive, but I can't stress enough that it feels like someone took an unimpressive half of a chapter in RE5 and just made it DLC. It's pretty boring and the only positive I can think of is that you can play as Josh and Jill.

I'm still salty that RE5 wasn't more like Desperate Escape, much as I do like parts of the game, and I hope they eventually make a spin-off that's more like that.

RE0 is kind of the ugly duckling of the “numbered” series, though it’s also arguably not mainline and more so a major spinoff like Code Veronica or the Revelations games.

That said, I still had a really good time with it. The storage system is very unique compared to other RE games, but I found it kind of amusing.

I think 0 is pretty good actually, though not as good as 1-3. I think it's better than CVX at least, which was originally supposed to be RE3. It's absolutely beautiful to look at, has some really cool locations and decent music, and Rebecca and Billy are pretty good characters. The story is pretty bad though, and the inventory management system was weird, though I don't think it's as bad or annoying as people make it out to be.

As someone who thinks RE5 is probably the weakest mainline game they've played, I cannot stress enough how good Lost in Nightmares is. And not because of the RE1 nostalgia fuel, it's just genuinely a great DLC that somehow managed to make a convincing argument for why a co-op horror game can work ... better than the main game. It's map design and puzzles definitely aren't at the same level as the classic games its aping, but it did something that the base game almost never did: it managed to make puzzles work in a co-op game. On top of that the tension in certain parts is genuinely pretty good, and the original enemies are really interesting with a bit of a ... Silent Hill vibe, of all things?

In contrast, Desperate Escape is bad. Really really bad. Ok, more unimpressive, but I can't stress enough that it feels like someone took an unimpressive half of a chapter in RE5 and just made it DLC. It's pretty boring and the only positive I can think of is that you can play as Josh and Jill.

I'm still salty that RE5 wasn't more like Desperate Escape, much as I do like parts of the game, and I hope they eventually make a spin-off that's more like that.
Hey, absolutely agree on Lost in Nightmare. Its really good.

RE 5 isn’t my favorite game in the series either, it ranks pretty low on my personal list as well. However, I have grown softer on it in later years. It had to follow up RE 4 which made such a huge wave, it was impossible to measure up against it.

Well, I did nab both REmake 2 and 3 for a tenner each while they were still on sale, so I think what I'll do is:
  • play REmake 2
  • play REmake 3
  • play RE0
  • play REmake 4 once I'm done with the others and it's on sale
I'll post an update once I get started on RE2. No idea when that will be, but I doubt it will take too long. Thanks for everyone's input so far, I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

RESIDENT EVIL 2 (REMAKE)​

– This is Leon S. Kennedy, reporting for orientation –​

It hasn't even been a week yet since I beat REmake twice, but I've been all itchy to taste more of the series, so here we go! Buckle in for my first playthrough of REmake 2!

I decided to skip the easiest difficulty option this time around, because clearly I'm already a pro at this (lmao), so I went with standard, kicking things off with Leon. First impressions are great! The game looks amazing in RE Engine, and it runs at a solid 60 FPS on my Series S, which is nice. As soon as the initial cutscenes were over and I began exploring the gas station, it dawned on me that the over-the-shoulder camera would make things way more creepy than the fixed camera angles of REmake ever did. And that hunch would prove to be right even in the opening minutes.

Anyway, let's skip to the really interesting part. Having made it to the police station, I began exploring. I managed to figure things out fairly quickly, found two medallions without a hassle, and things went incredibly smooth in general until the moment I met Claire again outside by the fire escape. I had only a couple of loose ends left to tie up, none of which I had the key item to solve at that point. So I went around the station in circles, and it took me way too long to figure out where the last chained door was located, and when I finally found it, I was rewarded with the detonator, which led to me getting the third medallion needed.

But let's take a step back, because I have to get a couple of things out of the way:
  • I love how you can customise your weapons. So far I found an extended magazine for the gun.
  • Boarding up windows to keep the zombies out is nice in concept, though I pretty much only ever think of it when it's too late. I only boarded up one window so far, and it's down by the save room next to the safe storage room.
  • Inventory extensions! Found three hip pouches so far, which makes it seem like inventory management won't be quite as big of a hassle as it was in REmake. I'm actually carrying both a handgun and a shotgun now, smh.
Back to my progress, though. I used the three medallions in the appropriate place and got down below to fight my first boss, who had a giant eyeball for a shoulder. I went through so much precious ammo on this one, RIP. The basement didn't really have much in store apart from a key, a crank, an undeveloped film, and a couple of loose ends – and loose dogs, smh – so I made my way back upstairs to see what I can do with them, but only after essentially turning my handgun into a makeshift rifle. And this is where I'm leaving it off for now, after about three and a half hours.

Fun times, so far!

Last edited:
and it's down by the save room next to the safe storage room
Yup, that’s the most obvious window to board up, lol. I hope you enjoy savoring the tension of exploring the Raccoon Police Department.

If you feel a little lost, always check the map to see if an area is dimmed out. That means you’ve cleaned out everything you can from that place.

Also: shotgun is a great choice. Love me some shotties.

If you feel a little lost, always check the map to see if an area is dimmed out. That means you’ve cleaned out everything you can from that place.
The map helps, but I suppose it helps a lot more if you make a habit of cleaning out each room as you go through it, while double checking your map. I had a bunch of rooms that didn't show as completed at that point, so it took me some walking to figure stuff out. All part of the experience.

I suppose it helps a lot more if you make a habit of cleaning out each room as you go through it, while double checking your map.
Oh definitely. You’ll want to keep track of where stuff is, especially if you can’t pick them up at the moment.

Progress Update – The sewers are my nemesis​

After a total of about seven hours played so far, things have gotten spicy.

I'm so glad I somehow wasn't spoiled on Mr. X. When he first appeared, I was convinced he was a miniboss – but I was wrong. When he was on his knees, Leon mumbled something about it being time to run, but I kept pelting him with bullets, which continued to do nothing. So I did run. And of course, that wasn't the end of it.

The looming threat of Mr. X as I explored the rest of RPD was thrilling, but in a fun way. The lickers that started popping up more frequently, however, were neither, and can get lost. Figuring out how to get through the remainder of the RPD segment is kind of a blur now, but I did ultimately get the keycard, and escaped with Ada in tow. Before this, I was convinced her being FBI was a ruse, and she still seems kind of sus, but is seemingly on my side for now, so it is what it is.

Down to the sewers we go. I managed to dodge the mutated alligator on my first try, but missed the window to blow it up because I didn't parse that blowing it up was what I had to do in time to actually do it. My second attempt I failed the last dodge, so it took me a third. Whoops.

Ada's segment was fun with her hacking abilities. Of course, Mr. X managed to get me good because I fumbled hacking the door open, and then fumbled hacking the ventilator, so I had to complete most of her segment on the verge of death, given the lack of healing options, but managed to pull through.

The really gut-wrenching part was yet to come, though. Leon's trek through the sewers took me a while to get through, and my butt was clenched through most of it. The poison spewing sewage abominations (whatever they are called) are the worst enemy type in the game so far in how inescapable and unavoidable they are. I went through a lot of precious supplies fighting them, which I hope won't come back to bite me in the butt later. Having finally managed to amass all the chess pieces, I had to fight what looked the first boss' bigger, meaner brother at a glance, and this took me not only three attempts, but also yet more precious supplies. It's safe to say the sewers were my true nemesis all along.

One way or another, though, I persevered, and ended up in the Laboratory – again. Seems like a neat callback to the first game, how both the Spencer Mansion and RPD have a lab beneath them. How many labs does Umbrella need in the same city, smh. However, I was convinced I'd return to RPD one last time because I never got the heart key, and I also noticed that the sewer keys and T-bar valve handle don't show the green tick like other exhausted key items do, so I think I might have unintentionally skipped something, unless things don't end in the lab this time around. Just thinking out loud here, no spoilers, pls.

Either way, I'll find out next time.

Last edited:
Minor thing: that big, bastardous bloke is actually Mr. X! Nemesis is a different lad from the next game.

Back
Top Bottom