• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP Resident Evil Series |LTTP| REmake 4 Completed (Open Spoilers)

(Late to the party)

Progress Update – Never bring a gun to a knife-fight​

My last progress update was a belated one, so this one follows up on it a bit quicker than usual – surprise! Also, it's a rather meaty one, so buckle up.

Deeper and deeper into the castle I go. I was greeted with a bit of light exploration and a small puzzle in the dining room, which offered a bit of a breather, and rewarded me with the snake head I needed to place on the chimera statue in order to progress further. Of course, the goat and lion heads were missing as well. Those weren’t locked behind puzzles, though, but rather behind encounters. The goat head was to be found in yet another mob infested room. The lion head was more interesting, as it was guarded by animated armor sets – seems like those parasites can take control of inanimate objects as well, which is kind of sick, in more than one meaning of the word. Ashley provided some light assistance during this fight, which was a nice twist mechanically.

Having collected all three heads and put them on the chimera statue, some story happened and Leon and Ashley got separated again – only this time, I found myself in control of Ashley. This was a nice change of pace. Ashley doesn’t know how to do combat for the life of her. All she has on her is a lantern, which she can use to temporarily freeze the parasite-ridden armor sets. I thought this segment was really well executed, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Then, some more story happened, and I found myself back in control of Leon, finally being able to progress even further into the castle. And I promptly got introduced to… flies. I don’t like those flies. They are big, they are nasty, and they gang up on you if you aren’t careful, even though they aren’t much of a challenge otherwise.

Having exterminated all of them, I pressed onward, and found myself in the most challenging room yet. I was wondering when I’d see the blind, clawed hunks of meat again – apparently they are called Garradors – but what I did not expect is to find two of them in the same room, accompanied by a frenzied congregation. This room took me so much trial and error. What finally worked was to just do my to ignore the mobs and taking out one Garrador before doing anything else. Things still went kind of sideways after that, but at least now I only had one of them left to deal with, even though it took me way too long to finally single him out and deal the final blow.

And so I was finally able to continue and find Ashley again, who didn’t look so good. Only to get kicked out immediately in the rudest way possible. Navigating the depths wasn’t much of a challenge. The flies down here were outrageously annoying because I couldn’t manage to keep track of them in the dark, and in the water, so I just legged it out of there and reached some kind of underground facility. And promptly legged it out of there as well, because it houses some insectoid man (or humanoid insect?) who is apparently invincible beyond the weakness of getting frozen.

Next, I needed to find my way back up to the castle – and did so with Luis in tow! Made our way up through the mines, but were cut off by a pair of giants, with one of them being armored. Luckily, Luis pulled his own weight, and so the unarmored one went down swiftly. The armored one followed soon after, thanks to Luis attaching some dynamite to him, and that was the end of that. Hope that giant likes his baths hot. The mine-cart section was surprisingly fun! I usually don’t like set pieces like this, but enjoyed the wild ride. Then it was just a quick detour through the hive (which meant more flies, yuck), and up to the castle we– not so fast, apparently. I don’t know if I’m supposed to know this Krauser dude, but Leon sure does, and apparently he likes a knife fight, so that's what he got. Until he decided to bail like an absolute coward.

That freed the way back up to the castle, which concluded chapter 11, and seemed like a good spot for me to pick things up next time. Luis didn’t make it though, which is a bummer. And just when I started to like him, too!

I also wanted to share some overall thoughts at this point. I have overcome my initial slight disappointment at RE4 fully abandoning the more exploration heavy and puzzle centric setup I enjoyed so much in 1 and 2. I said in my last progress update that all the action in RE4 kind of wears me out a bit, but this largely came down to expectations I’ve set myself that weren’t quite fulfilled. Ever since I saw the castle on the horizon, I had expected the game to open up once I reached it, but that obviously never happened. Granted, the game did open up a bit at the lake, but only very briefly.

Ever since I’ve realised and accepted that RE4 simply is a different flavor of RE, I’ve been enjoying it more again. I've liked the setting and atmosphere from the start, and it got even better in that regard in the castle. I enjoy the way the story unfolds, and even the dynamic between Leon and Ashley is more entertaining than I initially thought it would be. Some of the enemy designs are really great as well, and almost feel like they could be in DMC without any changes. Shoutout to the animated armor sets in particular; even though it’s a bit of a cliché, them being moved by parasites is a nice twist.

I don’t know how much more of this game I have ahead of me, but I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

Great write-up.I think the castle is my fave part of the game, some rough spots aside. It's also the best Mercenaries map, if you ask me!

I'm not sure if you want any indication of your progress so I'll tag:
There are 16 chapters in all, and the last one is pretty much just the boss & finale if I remember right.

I will be very interested in your final thoughts on this one. I love RE4 and the Remake, but I find the final stretch to undoubtedly be the weakest. The closing moments leave you on a high note, though! Are you planning to play Separate Ways?

Progress Update – Oops! All Bosses​

I did it. I completed REmake 4. But before Leon and Ashley can ride into the sunset sunrise, it is time for the final stretch of the game. And it's not a stretch to say it was quite a stretch. But one thing after another.

Because first, it was time to make my way up the clocktower. Navigating this area felt like another set piece, and crushing the zealots with spiky balls of death at the end of it was satisfying. The elevator ride turned out to be yet another ambush, but not a particularly difficult one. And so, I found my way up rather smoothly, and came face to face with Ramón's stupid face. This boss fight was more annoying than anything else, and I was glad I didn't need a second attempt here – even though I barely made it on my first one. Ran into Ada again after that, and made my way over to a fortified island, where it all should wrap up for good.

The island was basically just one big encounter after the other. Making good use of the explosive barrels scattered around here made my life easier, and in some spots I was able to bait enemies into the line of fire of the automatic turrets, but it was an exhausting and depleting trek nonetheless, especially with regards to consumables. One way or another, I managed to locate Ashley and to unlock her cell. The Regeneradors I had to deal with along the way were not too bad once I found the bioscope. Until I ran into the spiky ones later, which were more of a pain to deal with.

The next stretch was over rather quick, though. Ashley proved her skills with the wrecking ball while I had to deal with the angry mob to keep it away from the excavator, and we were out of there – and got separated all over again.

Then it was time for the showdown with Krauser, and I liked that one a lot. It did go on for a bit longer than I expected, and I only made it by the skin of my teeth and playing very aggressively in the last phase. I ran out of knives to parry with and just started to pump him full of shotgun shells, before a last ditch effort grenade finished him off.

Then, it was time to fight my way further up to the summit, and luckily I got some cover and assistance from a friendly helicopter, which made this segment a lot more fun than it would have been otherwise. After a bit more fighting, I reached the altar at the summit, found Ashley again, got interrupted by Saddler again, escaped with the help of Ada again, and finally removed the parasites from the dynamic duo.

With that taken care of, it was time to leave this forsaken island – but only after dealing with Saddler. This boss fight was just okay. Shoot the small weakspots, stab the big weakspot, rinse and repeat. And of course, finish him off with a rocket launcher, courtesy of Ada (again). The end? Not before the escape scene! This one was fun and different from the others in the series, because all the enemies you ran into along the way were already incapacitated, thanks to having just dealt with the hive mind, and more notably because it involved a jet ski. Jet ski are fun.

And with that, my wild ride through REmake 4 had come to an end.

S4L5vUk.jpg

This has been a long game by Resi standards. I've managed to do two runs of RE1 and RE2 respectively in the time it took me to do just one of RE4. It was also a considerably harder game than its predecessors – I'm glad it doesn't show deaths on that results screen. And most of all, it has been a very different experience compared to RE1-3, with it being even more action heavy than RE3, and with it basically abandoning the exploration and puzzle focused setups of RE1+2. It's a different flavour of Resident Evil, and while I prefer the gameplay balance of RE1 and 2 especially, I can't deny that RE4 is a really damn good video game as well. I'm not the biggest fan of the island segment, because all it did was throwing enemies at me, but at least it was over quickly enough to not become a bigger issue for me.

Still, I'm not fully done with RE4 quite yet, because I still have to play the Separate Ways campaign before I decide how I move on with the series. Maybe even as soon as next week, should I find myself in the mood for it.

I will take a bit of a break from RE after that, though. I've played through four of them back to back, in the span of –checks notes– not even a whole four weeks, so I feel like taking a bit of a breather seems in order.

Can't believe it hasn't even been a month lol. You're a machine @MissingNo.

To my memory they trimmed down the island in some smart ways for the Remake so it's a little snappier. Will be interesting to read your write up on Separate Ways, which has been retooled quite a bit from the original. Several sequences that were in the original RE4 now appear there! I had a lot of fun with it.

Important question: what were your thoughts on motherfuckin' Mike, the helicopter pilot?

Can't believe it hasn't even been a month lol. You're a machine @MissingNo.

To my memory they trimmed down the island in some smart ways for the Remake so it's a little snappier. Will be interesting to read your write up on Separate Ways, which has been retooled quite a bit from the original. Several sequences that were in the original RE4 now appear there! I had a lot of fun with it.

Important question: what were your thoughts on motherfuckin' Mike, the helicopter pilot?
Yeah, it has been quite the ride so far. Didn't expect to come as far as I did as quickly as I did.

Mike? Mike's a fucking legend, I loved that man. RIP, Mike. RIP.

it has been a very different experience compared to RE1-3, with it being even more action heavy than RE3, and with it basically abandoning the exploration and puzzle focused setups of RE1+2
This was also a point of discussion between the original RE4 and its predecessors. There was some pushback against RE adopting a more action-focused style of gameplay, but ultimately Capcom's experiment worked out, in my opinion. Overall I love both flavors.

Consider me more hyped to play RE4R. I'll see if I can get to it next year.

So happy and jealous of you playing and enjoying RE4make, my computer is still last gen uuuuugh!

Even as someone who played the OGs upon the release I still could never determine which is better- survival horror RE or RE4, it's simply that fun and incredible.

Maybe you'll inspire me to finally finish Code Veronica, I never did back on Dreamcast or PS2...

Yeah, the divide between classic RE and action RE fans is quite big.

Still, OG Resident Evil 4 was such a shock, but the best kind of shock, for the series. The series has never been super scary or anything (apart from a few legendary jump scares), but I absolutely adore Resident Evil 4 for one thing; feeling super opressive. The suspense in this game is so thick, its unlike anything I have ever played.

And that same feeling is available in the remake and that made me fall in love with the game yet again.

Back
Top Bottom