• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Report: Nintendo Could Confirm New Hardware As Soon The End Of August At Gamescom . Update: Could just mean behind closed doors and not to the public.

Don't most of the big partners already have dev kits according to the last rumor? Who exactly is Nintendo showing this thing off to?

So on grubbs podcast they said that they are friends with this site and he has heard this all year that there will be some sort of announcement which may lead into the September live event.

Very interesting

Don't most of the big partners already have dev kits according to the last rumor? Who exactly is Nintendo showing this thing off to?

It would either be Indie devs (though i'd argue the biggest / most important ones would've been briefed along with other third parties at some point).

Or regional/local retailers, sales partners, suppliers and so on.

But again, you'd rather want them to come to the Nintendo EU HQ in Frankfurt than to do something like this at an "open" fair.

I mean Sonic ... Idk which but the 2017 one, got a "NX" in its trailer and Dragon Quest XI was announced for NX in July 2015.

But NX was already announced to be coming and in Sonic's case it was confirmed to launch in March 2017 already even.

This time we have nothing, I don't see what would be the point of developers announcing games a putting "?" or a "next Nintendo console" or "unannounced console" in their game announcements. If any games set to be revealed or appear at Gamescom will have Switch 2 versions why not just announce the version later after Switch 2 is at minimum officially confirmed?

I mean Sonic ... Idk which but the 2017 one, got a "NX" in its trailer and Dragon Quest XI was announced for NX in July 2015.

But NX was already announced to be coming and in Sonic's case it was confirmed to launch in March 2017 already even.

This time we have nothing, I don't see what would be the point of developers announcing games a putting "?" or a "next Nintendo console" or "unannounced console" in their game announcements. If any games set to be revealed or appear at Gamescom will have Switch 2 versions why not just announce the version later after Switch 2 is at minimum officially confirmed?
Do developers ever say they have games coming to next gen systems even if those next gen systems haven’t been announced?

Do developers ever say they have games coming to next gen systems even if those next gen systems haven’t been announced?
The people behind the Eiyuden Chronicles kickstarter went beyond that with "we want to target Nintendo's Switch successor cause we think it'll be announced/out by the time our game launches".

That's the thing, they don't. We only have rare cases like Ubisoft revealing Watch Dogs at E3 2012 and IIRC saying it'd be a next generation game, but nothing like putting a "next Playstation" or "next Xbox" on platforms. NX was technically already announced.

I'm not sure if this really needs repeating but I'm just going to say, it is incredibly unlikely we get a reveal ahead of Nintendo's holiday lineup of games as they probably want to finish that marketing cycle before shifting consumer attention over to the reveal of new hardware.

of course, I think the possibility of a behind closed doors reveal isn't too out of the question, but I do not expect anything for the public at all this year.

I hope this is for a switch 1 revision. This fall or early spring would be a great time for one last switch update.
My dream console from Nintendo right now would be a "Switch micro" about the size of the Playstation Vita slim. It would be the perfect way to wrap up the lineup in weird Nintendo fashion akin to the New 2DS XL and gameboy micro.

Yeah no. They would NEVER show off a new console to the press more than one year before its launch. It's like begging it to be leaked. Press will see the console for the first time at the same time as us. At the official reveal. And until that date, only people know it exists will be Nintendo and select third party publishers and studios. That's it.

My dream console from Nintendo right now would be a "Switch micro" about the size of the Playstation Vita slim. It would be the perfect way to wrap up the lineup in weird Nintendo fashion akin to the New 2DS XL and gameboy micro.

Didn't those two revisions actually come out after the successor was already available? ;D

Yeah no. They would NEVER show off a new console to the press more than one year before its launch. It's like begging it to be leaked. Press will see the console for the first time at the same time as us. At the official reveal. And until that date, only people know it exists will be Nintendo and select third party publishers and studios. That's it.
Sometimes these behind closed door showings aren't for the press, but are for other developers. I think showing off the console to other developers behind closed doors this early isn't too far fetched of an idea, but I completely agree that it is a risky move and basically guarantees a leak. Maybe the chances of a leak become slightly less so if it is only being shown to other developers and not members of the press...

They aren’t unless they’re releasing this holiday.

At this point they may as well have a short announcement to release timeframe to milk those final switch sales. As it’s still not slowing down. A late 2024 release would be much better times imo but that’s whatever. We’ll see if this comes true or not but probably not cause 6-8 months announcement to release is a fantasy that died this generation for Nintendo, they explicitly go out of their way to make those waits feel shorter than they are by releasing quickly after an announcement.

uhhhh yeah Nintendo have never revealed anything at Gamescom of all places, heck has any company ever revealed any console there?

Makes sense to me now that E3 is dead. I remember reading an interview where it was mentioned that Nintendo showing off the Switch behind closed doors during E3 '16 was what lead to Bethesda throwing their support behind the system.
Revealing it to business partners... when dev kits are already out? So, what, giving GameStop a year's heads up to practice their sales technique? Getting someone on board to make the official Switch 2 cereal?
This is most likely giving business partners an early look on how the official hardware will look and feel. That's not something you'll get from a dev kit.
They're not showing it off to the press; from the sound of it this will be strictly with business partners and will most likely be loaded with NDAs to prevent any major leaks.

Revealing it to business partners... when dev kits are already out? So, what, giving GameStop a year's heads up to practice their sales technique? Getting someone on board to make the official Switch 2 cereal?
A dev kit is not the final product. A dev kit can help you see how powerful (or not) a system is, but not how a system will look or feel.

Okay, it being shown to a wider number of business partners behind closed doors makes a lot more sense then them dropping a public announcement, much less a full-fledged reveal.

Famicom Mini/NES Mini 2 reveal at Gamescom:

• no games on it
  • roughly 12 units available globally
  • spits at you every time you press the power button
  • controllers not included

Didn't the original rumour say that only "close development partners" had devkits?
I could see them using an event to speak out to the broader dev community before more widespread distribution of dev kits.

But then I don't know anything about anything.

Didn't the original rumour say that only "close development partners" had devkits?
I could see them using an event to speak out to the broader dev community before more widespread distribution of dev kits.

But then I don't know anything about anything.

I would argue "close dev partners" would, in Nintendo's case, mean mostly japanese third parties. And you're likely not getting any info out of those, unless some higher-up like SQEXs' Horii ends up with a slip like back then when he talked about DQ XI.

If VGC has sources that told them they now have dev kits, it's likely we're talking about western thirds.
Those might not be in that "close partner" circle and get dev kits sometime later than ... for example ... Capcom.

Iirc, there was also some post in the purple forum that said that japanese thirds like the above mentioned Capcom and SQEX had dev kits for quite some time now.

In short: Expect most vital devs in both the west and the east to have either been briefed by now if not already having dev kits.

Can't really think of a legit reason they would be showing/announcing it to devs during a trade fair. It's more likey those would be briefed by a rep of Nintendo visiting them, or by having been invited to one of Nintendo's regional HQs.

hrGfDapTSctQrEQ7dj3Jii-970-80.jpg.webp

This tweet is basically backpedaling or rationalizing. In the article they pretty clearly understand the rumor given to them was concerning a public reveal, and only speculate about the closed-door thing as a realistic alternative since they don't actually believe the rumor (despite publishing the article anyway).

I think the chances of this are extremely small and the article does nothing to establish the credibility of the source. It ends up mostly just being haphazard speculation (with a few factual inaccuracies like stating the NX was announced via tweet in 2016). It shouldn't have been published.

Can't really think of a legit reason they would be showing/announcing it to devs during a trade fair. It's more likey those would be briefed by a rep of Nintendo visiting them, or by having been invited to one of Nintendo's regional HQs.
That's the whole point of a trade fair; to showcase upcoming products either out in the open for journalists and the public or behind closed doors to close partners. It's why events like SGF and other conventions will never be an adequate replacement for E3.

Apparently Grubb knows this person and actually backs up the rumor. He even predicts the next console to physically present at the PAX or live event in September (around 16 minute mark)

I also think this could be another revision. Switch sales are still strong, might need another sku to maximize that.

If Grubb is right, I'll be very surprised that Nintendo is making any kind of notable announcements or public debuts at Nintendo Live. And then I'll also be upset that I didn't win a ticket.

Wouldn't this be an excellent opportunity for Nintendo to strengthen their ties with certain indie developers and creating new ties with developers not yet on their platform? I mean, Gamescom is a trade fair.

Apparently Grubb knows this person and actually backs up the rumor. He even predicts the next console to physically present at the PAX or live event in September (around 16 minute mark)

I also think this could be another revision. Switch sales are still strong, might need another sku to maximize that.

I like Grubb. But he seems to be better at parroting information than making logical predictions.

There is zero chance the Switch 2 will be physically present at Nintendo Live/PAX. This is an event that has been going on for multiple years in Japan. It is mainly aimed at families and/or the general audience. With this in mind, the lineup of playable games usually consists of games already out.

Just take a look at the website and tell me with a straight face this is where Switch 2 will be revealed to the public.

I guess if there's an x factor here it could be the new president. Dude might have a very different view on what the time table should be for teasing new hardware -> revealing new hardware -> releasing new hardware. How Nintendo has done things historically may be a deliberate thing the new president wants to not do with this transition.

Wouldn't this be an excellent opportunity for Nintendo to strengthen their ties with certain indie developers and creating new ties with developers not yet on their platform? I mean, Gamescom is a trade fair.

Sure. But if we're talking about a, at that point, still confidential thing, you're better off doing meetings dealing that that topic elsewhere.

Also, Gamescom is an open fair, whereas E³ was only for business and media until shortly before it's "death".
And their requirements to get access to the business and media day, one day before it opens for everyone, are .... lax. Wasn't an unusual sight to have people under 15 years run around the halls, and i somehow doubt they've been business or media representatives. ;D

Believe me, i've been in presentations where i definitely shouldn't have been in the business area quite a few times. ^^

still feels very risky to me imo, too much of a chance of it being leaked
Oh, totally. I'm still skeptical about Nintendo saying anything about the successor until early next year. Just saying that if this report is in anyway true, them talking to publishers about it makes more sense than an public reveal of some kind.

I like Grubb. But he seems to be better at parroting information than making logical predictions.

There is zero chance the Switch 2 will be physically present at Nintendo Live/PAX. This is an event that has been going on for multiple years in Japan. It is mainly aimed at families and/or the general audience. With this in mind, the lineup of playable games usually consists of games already out.

Just take a look at the website and tell me with a straight face this is where Switch 2 will be revealed to the public.

I don't think anyone suggested Nintendo Live will be where the console is revealed. The speculation behind Nintendo Live was that if they had already announced it, they could put one in a glass case and run trailers around it, which is perfectly reasonable and fits with what Nintendo tends to do with unreleased products (usually games) at these lesser and family-friendly events.

This tweet is basically backpedaling or rationalizing. In the article they pretty clearly understand the rumor given to them was concerning a public reveal, and only speculate about the closed-door thing as a realistic alternative since they don't actually believe the rumor (despite publishing the article anyway).

I think the chances of this are extremely small and the article does nothing to establish the credibility of the source. It ends up mostly just being haphazard speculation (with a few factual inaccuracies like stating the NX was announced via tweet in 2016). It shouldn't have been published.

Unless the original article has been updated, this isn't backpedaling - they're correcting other news outlets that have been sensationalizing the original article.

I don't think anyone suggested Nintendo Live will be where the console is revealed. The speculation behind Nintendo Live was that if they had already announced it, they could put one in a glass case and run trailers around it, which is perfectly reasonable and fits with what Nintendo tends to do with unreleased products (usually games) at these lesser and family-friendly events.

I just watched the Grubb video in question to see what exactly was being said.

It's being misquoted. Grubb says it will not be there (at the Nintendo Live event), and then eventually conceded that it is possible it could be in a display case (he guesses).

The only thing Grubb said concretely was that he had heard of a reveal during Summer of this year, and the report of a Gamescom reveal lines up with what he has previously heard. Now that report is being backstepped to closed door reveal to close partners, as you pointed out earlier.

I still place the Switch 2 physically being at Nintendo Live at 0%. For that to happen, Nintendo will have already had to have done their public reveal in video form. Which isn't happening this year (imo).

Unless the original article has been updated, this isn't backpedaling - they're correcting other news outlets that have been sensationalizing the original article.
The headline: "Nintendo Could Confirm New Hardware As Soon The End Of August"

Confirm doesn't mean show to more people behind closed doors, which they've already been doing, and the source of this rumor even knows they've been doing, because they said they already knew about the devkits.

You can see that the author is aware of the distinction between confirm and discuss behind closed doors here: "However, we do believe that it’s very likely - even if Nintendo doesn’t confirm a new console this month - that the company will be using one of the last remaining international, in-person industry events to meet with partners from across the globe to discuss upcoming hardware."

The article: "The source, which is in regular contact with multiple studios and platform holders across the industry, told startmenu that Nintendo plans to announce a follow-up to the Switch “at Gamescom.”"

"The source originally tipped startmenu off to this at the end of July 2023. Due to a lack of evidence supporting the claim, however, we didn’t feel comfortable reporting the story. We also felt it highly unlikely that Tokyo company would announce the existence of a console in the European region, considering the leadership of the company is mainly centred in Japan and the USA."

The article is clearly written with the understanding the source was telling them it would be publicly announced at Gamescom, which they correctly determined was not a credible rumor, and that's why they didn't want to publish it. Then, with nothing changing except VGC's report confirming the wider distribution of devkits, they decided to publish it anyway.

The stuff about closed-door meetings is being thrown out there as an attempt to reinterpret the claim in a way that makes sense, since they were fully aware that the claim itself doesn't make sense.

Back
Top Bottom