• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Report: Nintendo Could Confirm New Hardware As Soon The End Of August At Gamescom . Update: Could just mean behind closed doors and not to the public.

NintendoMariah

Moblin
Founder
Pronouns
Him

Holy moly…. Is it happening?

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post this so please delete if I’m not haha

Nintendo could be planning to confirm the existence of its next console at Gamescom this year, a startmenu source familiar with Nintendo partner studios tells us.

As reported by VGC and corroborated by Eurogamer, the follow-up to the Switch is reportedly planned for release in the second half of 2024. Both sites have cited sources that state development studios have devkits in hand. However, startmenu has learned that the Japanese-based firm could be confirming the existence of new hardware as soon as the end of August 2023.

The source, which is in regular contact with multiple studios and platform holders across the industry, told startmenu that Nintendo plans to announce a follow-up to the Switch “at Gamescom.”

Update

Last edited:
Revealing the Switch 2 so early would tank the sales of the current Switch this holiday season. I would be extremely surprised if Nintendo would do that.

I'd be really surprised if Nintendo potentially hobbled what could be a bumper final holiday season of the OG Switch by announcing new hardware this early. Only way I can see it is if Switch 2 is coming before the end of the financial year, AKA before April 2024.

Way too early if they're targeting for H2 2024.

But... Maybe Nintendo will reveal a new hardware at Gamescom. Something like Dockable Switch Lite OLED. Switch is nowhere near dying, probably will go on for few years after the successor launches. It might need a final sku to bring the sales to 150m.

Nintendo don't reveal consoles at events anymore, the reveal of the next system will on their own as a video on their YouTube channel

More citing of unnamed sources. Anyone could literally write anything they want citing unnamed sources.

This feels like blatant bs to get on the next switch train for views. This makes absolutely ZERO business sense for Nintendo to do.

I would assume they're reveal a Switch revision (lite oled), or a 3rd party is announcing a game that says it's coming to "new nintendo hardware 2024" and Nintendo says "look forward to more details next year". Assuming this report isn't complete fantasy.

I'd be really surprised if Nintendo potentially hobbled what could be a bumper final holiday season of the OG Switch by announcing new hardware this early. Only way I can see it is if Switch 2 is coming before the end of the financial year, AKA before April 2024.
Even then, if it were March like last time all they'd have to do was move the reveal trailer to very early January and have the reveal presentation at about the same time. They don't need as much time to sell people if it is mostly iterative with perhaps a new gimmick or two. Imo it'd only make sense to announce before holidays if it were releasing Jan or Feb or if it were a completely new concept. And I think we'd have heard more by now in either case.

It's certainly possible what this article says will happen but I definitely think it'd be a slight mistake on Nintendo's part in terms of Switch sales.

I would assume they're reveal a Switch revision (lite oled), or a 3rd party is announcing a game that says it's coming to "new nintendo hardware 2024" and Nintendo says "look forward to more details next year". Assuming this report isn't complete fantasy.
Why would Nintendo say that? They’re not saying a thing until they want to to investors

Why would Nintendo say that? They’re not saying a thing until they want to to investors
Super Mario Bros. Wonder and Super Mario RPG releasing at the end of the year proved to me they're not talking about anything until at least next year

I think it would be wise if Nintendo would carry the announcement of a new Switch over the holiday season. Switch is still selling like hot cakes and having upcoming holiday season as a final farewell would be the smart thing to do sales wise I think. See also the new Nintendo releases later this year.

And finally: no offence or anything, but Gamescom really isn't the place for Nintendo to announce something new ESPECIALLY since they have their own digital platform to do announcements like this. Really, Gamescom is cool, but it isn't the "new E3" some people seem to want it to be.

More citing of unnamed sources. Anyone could literally write anything they want citing unnamed sources.

Apparently Grubb knows this person and actually backs up the rumor. He even predicts the next console to physically present at the PAX or live event in September (around 16 minute mark)

I also think this could be another revision. Switch sales are still strong, might need another sku to maximize that.

Start Menu said:
To dive into pure analysis and speculation, we are still somewhat sceptical that Nintendo would make a console announcement before the winter season, as confirmation of a new console to cannibalise Switch sales come the holidays. We are also still somewhat hesitant to believe that Nintendo would make such a big announcement at a show that it has not prioritised for several years now.

However, we do believe that it’s very likely - even if Nintendo doesn’t confirm a new console this month - that the company will be using one of the last remaining international, in-person industry events to meet with partners from across the globe to discuss upcoming hardware.

-> IF <-

they announce something this month, it's either by PR release or via trailer on YT/social media.

Not at Gamescom, and definitely not at Geoff's little pre-Gamescom show.

My sources whom shall not be named say the next Nintendo system will be releasing on March 2025.

/s

Nah, no way Nintendo announces a successor at Gamescom. The Switch 2 announcement is going to be its own event.

I'm just spit balling possibilities. I think the report is wish casting and Nintendo won't even hint of new hardware at gamescom.

I'd also be surprised if devs at GamesCom were allowed to simply say 'Yeah this is coming for the next Nintendo console' when the official word from Nintendo is a new console doesn't exist yet. Nintendo don't want rumblings of their new console to go mainstream because it will impact sales of the current Switch. I think there's going to be a lot of nudges and winks until Nintendo finally lift the curtain, at which the floodgates will open and the game confirmations will pour our, but I can't see anything official being announced until Nintendo are ready.

Even then, if it were March like last time all they'd have to do was move the reveal trailer to very early January and have the reveal presentation at about the same time. They don't need as much time to sell people if it is mostly iterative with perhaps a new gimmick or two. Imo it'd only make sense to announce before holidays if it were releasing Jan or Feb or if it were a completely new concept. And I think we'd have heard more by now in either case.

It's certainly possible what this article says will happen but I definitely think it'd be a slight mistake on Nintendo's part in terms of Switch sales.
Nintendo will probably still want to announce the console officially a good 6 months or so before release - like the did the Switch - to make things easier for them logistically, and more importantly, to give consumers time to prepare and save up cash. Short timeframes from reveal to release works for hardware revisions, less so for brand new hardware.

Way too early if they're targeting for H2 2024.

But... Maybe Nintendo will reveal a new hardware at Gamescom. Something like Dockable Switch Lite OLED. Switch is nowhere near dying, probably will go on for few years after the successor launches. It might need a final sku to bring the sales to 150m.
A dockable Switch Lite OLED... I refuse to believe this world could let something so pure and perfect exist..

Nintendo will probably still want to announce the console officially a good 6 months or so before release - like the did the Switch - to make things easier for them logistically, and more importantly, to give consumers time to prepare and save up cash. Short timeframes from reveal to release works for hardware revisions, less so for brand new hardware.
Switch was revealed 4.5 months before launch. I could see a shorter timeframe than that tbh.

Apparently Grubb knows this person and actually backs up the rumor. He even predicts the next console to physically present at the PAX or live event in September (around 16 minute mark)

I also think this could be another revision. Switch sales are still strong, might need another sku to maximize that.

What's Grubb's track record like with Nintendo predictions? I can't say I follow him.

What's Grubb's track record like with Nintendo predictions? I can't say I follow him.

Might not have the best memory about it cause i don't follow the "scene" closely, but i think at least when it comes to Directs he has a good record.

Dunno about other stuff though.

Why on earth would they do that??

Again, IF scenario:

Because it follows a similar timeline like the Switch: Early announcement by PR, "full" announcement later this year, launch expectation H1 2024, maybe even March like Switch.

Any (official) announcement this early simply rules out H2 2024, definitely fall/winter/holidays 2024.

Switch was revealed 4.5 months before launch. I could see a shorter timeframe than that tbh.
Yeah it's possible, but I think the circumstances are a bit different now because Nintendo had to rush the Switch out to market given the state of the Wii U. They effectively sacrificed their entire holiday season for both 3DS and Wii U to announce Switch was on the way. Nintendo don't have the same kind of urgency this time with Switch still making gazillions.

If Nintendo plan to release new hardware in 2024 they'll have to let their investors know in April, so an announcement February/March time seems likeliest to me currently. As for when it releases, who knows, but if the OG Switch has a good 2023 then they won't rush I think, and will give potential customers time to fill up their piggy banks.

Unless something changed since i was last in the business area at Gamescom, that would end in a leak fest.

You wouldn't believe in how many "closed off" presentations i have been there.

Again, just like “Nintendo won’t use DLCs”

Never expect something purely based on the past.

This is different.

It's about controlling the narrative, and that is something Nintendo absolutely wants to do.

"The quote I got was literally "announcement at Gamescom", and that could literally mean 50 different things to 50 people but hearing this from someone at a corporation means I think it could just mean "announced to close partners like us at Gamescom"."

That makes more sense if it's intended to be released at the end of 2024, but I'm not sure it tells us much about when we can expect a proper unveiling to the public.

"Nintendo will reveal their next console behind closed doors to companies who will be wrapped up in NDAs at Gamescom"

"Nintendo will reveal their next console behind closed doors to companies who will be wrapped up in NDAsat Gamescom"

Believe me ... if they're so foolish and show ReDraketed to anyone in the Gamescom business areas, even by doing invite-only meetings .... it's gonna leak.
There's just too many hands and eyes there, even in the walled off sections.

They would rather invite key partners (i assume retailers / suppliers and so on and not devs) to their HQ in Frankfurt for something like that.

Other possibilities are the system is announced with a much higher price tag and/or a price cut to the existing models. Not saying that’ll happen but it’s one way to push holiday sales even after announcing new hardware.

Only way I can see it being on booth at Gamescom is of they got information on a new Switch SKU(OLED Lite? Switch TV) releasing and reported it as Switch 2(late 2024 and not announced this year).

Anyways I admire their guts. Because if a source told me Nintendo would announce a new console at Gamescom that's not releasing in more than 12 months while releasing a new 2D Mario in the holidays and hoping to sell 15m units of Switch, I'd laugh at them.

Also I feel bad for Grubb for corroborating that rumor. It's not gonna be pretty when nothing happens. But he should've mentioned the possibility of being just another Switch revision. With an article being released just yesterday about Switch coming next year, people are definitely taking everything in regards to hardware as Switch 2.

Back
Top Bottom