• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Report: Nintendo Could Confirm New Hardware As Soon The End Of August At Gamescom . Update: Could just mean behind closed doors and not to the public.

Yeah, if a reveal happens this year… it will be after Super Mario Bros. Wonder releases.

Still believe an early 2024 event will be more plausible

I’m not saying whether I believe this or not, but for those dismissing this out of hand, when do we think Nintendo would reveal the successor to “key business partners?” Two weeks before launch?

They’re not going to find out at the same time we are, that’s for sure, so the “risk of leaks” will always be there.

I’m not saying whether I believe this or not, but for those dismissing this out of hand, when do we think Nintendo would reveal the successor to “key business partners?” Two weeks before launch?

They’re not going to find out at the same time we are, that’s for sure, so the “risk of leaks” will always be there.
Partners have devkits.

Nintendo may present the concept to other partners at such trade events. I don't think anyone is debating that point.

the only interesting in the article is that Nintendo isn't scheduling private press previews for any of its first party games like Super Mario RPG or Wonder, only a mystery third party game...

If they announce being closed doors. Don’t that imply it’s still further away from release than the rumored 2H?

the only interesting in the article is that Nintendo isn't scheduling private press previews for any of its first party games like Super Mario RPG or Wonder, only a mystery third party game...
which third party game would nintendo show off to journalists is an interesting question

which third party game would nintendo show off to journalists is an interesting question
Persona 3 Reload for Switch 3!

My actual non ironic guess is either Elden Ring or RDR2, both behind closed doors because obviously the hardware that they will run on has not yet been formally acknowledged

If they show dev kits and deets behind closed doors then, it'll get leaked out within a nanosecond anyway... especially if Ubisoft is in attendance!

If they show dev kits and deets behind closed doors then, it'll get leaked out within a nanosecond anyway... especially if Ubisoft is in attendance!
To be fair, the reason Ubisoft stuff gets leaked is because they have 10 billion people working them in hundreds of studios around the world, which is a much different enviorment than a controlled closed door event where the only invitees are the guys Nintendo trust enough to be there.

Presumably if devkits are out then details of any new gimmicks should be available to devs as well? So they can factor these features in for development?

I just watched the Grubb video in question to see what exactly was being said.

It's being misquoted. Grubb says it will not be there (at the Nintendo Live event), and then eventually conceded that it is possible it could be in a display case (he guesses).

The only thing Grubb said concretely was that he had heard of a reveal during Summer of this year, and the report of a Gamescom reveal lines up with what he has previously heard. Now that report is being backstepped to closed door reveal to close partners, as you pointed out earlier.

I still place the Switch 2 physically being at Nintendo Live at 0%. For that to happen, Nintendo will have already had to have done their public reveal in video form. Which isn't happening this year (imo).
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I suppose I should have listened to it myself. I'm in agreement that it won't be at Nintendo Live this year if the system is targeting launch in 2H 2024.

Unless they’re doing a March launch, idk if it gets announced that early. I think March is possible.
I'll be honest, I've been calling for a March Switch 2 release for at least two years. They gotta repeat the Switch 1 launch! Of course, I also wrongly assumed Switch 2 would launch with TotK...but everyone makes mistakes!

Persona 3 Reload for Switch 3!
I feel this is definitely gonna be a base Switch game. Most likely a late port.

Switch has almost 130m install base, for many developers don't do cutting edge development, it's gonna be something hard to give up. 130m people and they love to buy games. Established IP's continue to be on Switch (Persona 3, tales of Arise) to maximize the sales, while lesser known IP's (Sand Land, Metaphor) will be for the successor to benefit from the launch window hype.

Remasters are gonna be on Switch for a long time, possibly 2-3 years after the successor launch. Namco teased more Tales remasters and we can expect Xenosaga games now after Baten Kaitos, they're all gonna be on Switch. Square, who also loves remasters so much, will stick with Switch.
They did this before. Late summer secret press events to reveal some games, like Cities Skylines or Divinity. Remember on era when we tried to guess what some press member played in August? Turned out to be Divinity Original Sin 2.

I don’t believe this at all. Why would Nintendo undercut this holiday by showing off hardware over a year away? Recent trends have shown it’s better to announce consoles closer to launch. Switch was five months from announcement to launch, with PS5 being even quicker. I don’t see what Nintendo gains by showcasing Switch 2 now.

And way too many people are overhyping Nintendo Live. These are glorified demo events for existing titles, not a platform for announcements.

I don’t believe this at all. Why would Nintendo undercut this holiday by showing off hardware over a year away? Recent trends have shown it’s better to announce consoles closer to launch. Switch was five months from announcement to launch, with PS5 being even quicker. I don’t see what Nintendo gains by showcasing Switch 2 now.

And way too many people are overhyping Nintendo Live. These are glorified demo events for existing titles, not a platform for announcements.
I could see SMBW holding it's own as a holiday title and Nintendo shifting enough units using bundles to keep holiday sales up even with a this year announcement.

That's if Nintendo wants to do a late this fiscal year launch in March.

If 2nd Half of 2024
April 2024: First Look at Nintendo Switch NG
July 2024: Nintendo Switch NG Direct/Presentation (If E3 is not cancelled I could see them doing it to June due to the ESA partnership)
September 2024: General Nintendo Direct that focuses mainly on remaining NSW titles however dives into 1st half of the Switch NG launch lineup
October 2024: Switch NG release

I mean, if it’s behind closed doors, normal people will still hear about it because we’ve known that “behind closed doors” people can’t keep their mouths shut.

Looking forward to the twist in the tale where it's revealed at Gamescom and is actually coming out in October this year.
not gonna happen, with Super Mario Bros Wonder releasing this octobre? do you really believe Nintendo is gonna destroy Switch holiday sales by doing this.

Maybe I'm dumb as hell, but why in the world would Nintendo announce the console over a year out? Switch still has momentum this Holiday, they could (and should) wait until next year.

I could see them confirming a new system is coming next year, but that's it.

Maybe I'm dumb as hell, but why in the world would Nintendo announce the console over a year out? Switch still has momentum this Holiday, they could (and should) wait until next year.

I could see them confirming a new system is coming next year, but that's it.
I could see them having a teaser this year to give us some idea to what comes next. I actually think that it would not even have a huge effect on Switch Sales. Most People who are buying the Switch right now would buy it anyway.

The problem is more that the next console could get overshadowed a bit by the Switch itself (why do I need a new console when I have countless of good looking quality games on Switch?) and that‘s why they need to be as straight forward as possible what this next hardware is all about.

Partners have devkits.

Nintendo may present the concept to other partners at such trade events. I don't think anyone is debating that point.
That’s exactly what’s happening in this thread with people saying no way, it’s going to increase the risk of leaks.

Nintendo would never announce it to the public at Gamescom, I'm from Germany and Big N doesn't really care about something like Gamescom. I mean yeah they are always present, but they have only showed things there that were already shown at e3.
Nintendo will surely have it's own event or special direct where they will show the switch 2

Partners have devkits.

My brother in videogame character avy

absolutely based off nothing but your own gut intuition is it seriously looking like late 2024 over early 2024?

I wanna cry, I can't wait that long. I mean I can but I don't wanna

Last edited:
My brother is videogame character avy

absolutely based off nothing but your own gut intuition is it seriously looking like late 2024 over early 2024?

I wanna cry, I can't wait that long. I mean I can but I don't wanna
Nate has been hearing late 2024 since January. This is just more confirmation.

Unless the original article has been updated, this isn't backpedaling - they're correcting other news outlets that have been sensationalizing the original article.
It is backpedaling. The title doesn't reflect what the author is now implying.

It is backpedaling. The title doesn't reflect what the author is now implying.
Though while he is backpedaling he is still leaning forward.

To me it sounds more like they just want to clarify that announcement at Gamescom dosen‘t automatically mean it will appear at Opening Night Live.

Though personally I believe that while I think that they really have sources, the sources themselves probably have their sources from spending too much time on places like here.

Last edited:

Welcome to normal console announcements?

No console has ever been released without being publicly announced at least a year prior to its release. You need lead-time in order to get support from 3rd parties and retailers/stakeholders.

No console has ever been released without being publicly announced at least a year prior to its release. You need lead-time in order to get support from 3rd parties and retailers/stakeholders.
I’m talking about a public facing announcement for consumers. Nintendo Switch was announced in October 2016 and released in March 2017. We didn’t see the PS5 or know its specs until 2020. Could Nintendo say, “we are working on a new console experience” this year? Sure, but I highly doubt Nintendo will say, “There’s a Switch 2 and here it is!” as they remove a silk cloth from on top of the console.

I’m talking about a public facing announcement for consumers. Nintendo Switch was announced in October 2016 and released in March 2017. We didn’t see the PS5 or know its specs until 2020. Could Nintendo say, “we are working on a new console experience” this year? Sure, but I highly doubt Nintendo will say, “There’s a Switch 2 and here it is!” as they remove a silk cloth from on top of the console.

The NX was announced in March 2015. Two years before the console was released.

The public unveiling didn't happen until October 2016, but the console itself was already public knowledge well before then... which, again, is SOP for Nintendo.

N64 was known as Project Reality as early as August 1993, Gamecube was announced as Project Dolphin at E3 1999 (we even got some basic tech specs as early as then, including the switch from carts to discs. Even DK64, which released that same year, had a secret ending that hinted specifically at a new game for Project Dolphin; which is about as public facing as it gets), Wii was announced as Project Revolution in 2005 etc...

Again. This is all normal. Video game consoles are not smartphones. They need to be announced well in advance of release to garner the necessary support from 3rd party developers, publishers and stakeholders prior to their release.

You will get an announcement with some basic details at least a year prior to its release, with a more detailed formal unveil of the final hardware design and launch title/release date details around 9-6 months prior to the planned release. Following that usual schedule, if Nintendo is planning on releasing Switch 2 in November 2024, now is around the time I would expect them to make said announcement. Any later and this thing isn't launching until 2025.

Last edited:
it makes no sense for nintendo to ever acknowledge the existence of their next platform at this point besides to partners behind closed doors/private meetings.

Even a teaser would have a chance to negatively impact sales, doesn't matter if it's negligible or not, Nintendo has no reason to even take the gamble when the Switch is still riding high this year and right before the holiday season to boot.

Assuming anything gets officially teased/revealed before early 2024 just seems like getting disappointed for nothing.

The NX was announced in March 2015. Two years before the console was released.

The public unveiling didn't happen until October 2016, but the console itself was already public knowledge well before then... which, again, is SOP for Nintendo.

N64 was known as Project Reality as early as August 1993, Gamecube was announced as Project Dolphin at E3 1999 (we even got some basic tech specs as early as then, including the switch from carts to discs. Even DK64, which released that same year, had a secret ending that hinted specifically at a new game for Project Dolphin; which is about as public facing as it gets), Wii was announced as Project Revolution in 2005 etc...

Again. This is all normal. Video game consoles are not smartphones. They need to be announced well in advance of release to garner the necessary support from 3rd party developers, publishers and stakeholders prior to their release.

You will get an announcement with some basic details at least a year prior to its release, with a more detailed formal unveil of the final hardware design and launch title/release date details around 9-6 months prior to the planned release. Following that usual schedule, if Nintendo is planning on releasing Switch 2 in November 2024, now is around the time I would expect them to make said announcement. Any later and this thing isn't launching until 2025.
I'd argue all those were very different times though.
Wii U was failing so Nintendo wanted to assure people, mostly shareholders, that they would try again with something better.
I wouldn't call "hey we have a console codenamed NX" and nothing else to be much of an announcement.
The actual unveiling of the Switch to release was less than half a year and I could see them do something similar again, seeing ho great Switch sales are atm.

Yes other systems and even the PS5 took more than year to release, I really expect a shorter timeframe for the Switch successor though.

I'd argue all those were very different times though.
Wii U was failing so Nintendo wanted to assure people, mostly shareholders, that they would try again with something better.
I wouldn't call "hey we have a console codenamed NX" and nothing else to be much of an announcement.
The actual unveiling of the Switch to release was less than half a year and I could see them do something similar again, seeing ho great Switch sales are atm.

Yes other systems and even the PS5 took more than year to release, I really expect a shorter timeframe for the Switch successor though.

Only scenario in which that happens is one where no major 3rd party games get released for a whole year after launch. Not gonna happen.

Only scenario in which that happens is one where no major 3rd party games get released for a whole year after launch. Not gonna happen.

There's a massive difference between announced to the public and announced to third party developers.

Third parties will already know roughly what they'll be working with, and like we already had reports of, they've started giving them Dev kits already

I always understood this report as an announcement around the gamescom dates, not an announcement at the gamescom live event.

Third parties already knows the machine's existence. They already have developer kits as it is usual.
The successor is not going to be announced before Christmas if they are aiming to a holiday 2024 release. And even less if we consider today's financial results. This is not a Wii U to NX situation and they don´t need a year to get people engaged; they already are.

They are not killing what will probably the last holidays for the switch and with tittles like Mario Wonder alongside it.

But ofc I could be wrong.

I could see this just being a “hey we are putting out a new console in 2024 and will have more to share in the coming year” type deal. That way third parties can at least start announcing games for it like they did for nx

Back
Top Bottom