• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Pyoro claimed his source is a "Nintendo of Japan employee" that might had access to Nintendo's backend - EDIT : Pyoro's account his now private

Yeah, I don't buy it. I mean, the backend thing seems pretty solid. But him getting info from a Nintendo employee in Japan is not so solid.
I think it's 100x more likely that Pyoro just is a hacker that fetches material. In today's internet climate, where megaleaks get dumped from big coorporations, and lots of people are monitored by hackers without their knowledge, that seems like a much more likely conclusion.

pyoro gotta be one of the dumbest mother fuckers on the planet lol. you never talk to a journalist if you dont want the shit youre saying to potentially be made public.

to be clear up front before what im about to say, i dont think schreier did anything ethically wrong within the parameters of his job. i do however think he took advantage of a remarkably stupid and/or naive person here. dudes been doing this job long enough that i find it difficult to believe he didnt clock pyoro as someone who might talk a little too much before realizing what they're saying is "on the record." slight weasel behavior tbh, but thats the job sometimes.

pyoro gotta be one of the dumbest mother fuckers on the planet lol. you never talk to a journalist if you dont want the shit youre saying to potentially be made public.

to be clear up front before what im about to say, i dont think schreier did anything ethically wrong within the parameters of his job. i do however think he took advantage of a remarkably stupid and/or naive person here. dudes been doing this job long enough that i find it difficult to believe he didnt clock pyoro as someone who might talk a little too much before realizing what they're saying is "on the record." slight weasel behavior tbh, but thats the job sometimes.
Truly a press sneak fuck move. Ultimately Pyoro befell the same fate as all people who make too much noise in the Nintendo sphere without express authorization, the ninjas silenced them.

Personally I think Pyoro is lying about his source and is trying to play things off/troll with the whole interview thing.

With that said I wonder if the past few weeks will make people second guess leaking games, or at least second guess making a "personality" out of leaking games. Midori/MysticDistance basically got doxxed and Pyoro is getting clowned on

At some point, I think I was singing Pyoro’s praises on this forum, though I couldn’t tell you which posts they were.

Seeing this new development has me completely ROFL LMAO 🤣🤣🤣

And yes, I can believe Pyoro would go all Surprised Pikachu face, thinking his convo wouldn’t get reported.

We humans make incredibly dumb decisions all the time. Hell, I’ve done some incredibly dumb things here on the web, and in public over the years too.

Pyoro has just found theirs.

Pyoro never did that. People started suspecting his source had been caught precisely because he didn't leak the entire direct like he used to, only a couple minor things, which still turned out to be real.

And as far as we know, Midori didn't do that either. So far I don't think anything they said have been proved wrong, DQ trilogy was in the direct after all. Obviously that doesn't excuse them pretending to be a japanese girl which is the icky part of that story.

I don't understand why everyone seems to hate Pyoro all of a sudden and hope he gets caught, all the while still welcoming other leakers with open arms.
Pyoro tried leaking both the pokemon remake and the new zelda game while knowing in both cases that he didn’t have anything to leak since both games didn’t have a page on the eshop .

Pyoro never did that. People started suspecting his source had been caught precisely because he didn't leak the entire direct like he used to, only a couple minor things, which still turned out to be real.

And as far as we know, Midori didn't do that either. So far I don't think anything they said have been proved wrong, DQ trilogy was in the direct after all. Obviously that doesn't excuse them pretending to be a japanese girl which is the icky part of that story.

I don't understand why everyone seems to hate Pyoro all of a sudden and hope he gets caught, all the while still welcoming other leakers with open arms.
He also said it would be light on first party announcements….which it definitely wasn’t

Absolutely not. That was a clear leak. All seven titles in the series (including remakes) were developed by AlphaDream, and since the studio folded 5 years ago there was no reason to believe the series would be revived, especially when their last remake sold so poorly it killed the company. Brothership isn't even a real word in the modern sense, it doesn't appear in Merriam-Webster, Cambridge, Dictionary.com, or Collins Dictionary. And even if a new Mario & Luigi title was rumored, it would be most likely to be a remake, since in 1 calendar year we got Super Mario RPG remake and Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door remake.

What dictionary are you using there? I couldn't find it in any of the major dictionaries.
Took about 2 seconds of googling. From the Oxford English Dictionary:
https://www.oed.com/search/dictionary/?scope=Entries&q=brothership&tl=true

Edit: Should probably clarify, I have no position keeping on topic. I'm just answering ZonaiResearcher's as asked because etymology is more interesting than the debate surrounding leakers.

Last edited:
He also said it would be light on first party announcements….which it definitely wasn’t
I just take that to mean he believed his sources or methods and so if it wasn’t showing anything new from Nintendo there therefore isn’t anything new. It was an assumption based on missing information.

I just take that to mean he believed his sources or methods and so if it wasn’t showing anything new from Nintendo there therefore isn’t anything new. It was an assumption based on missing information.
I mean, if I were Pyoro and my sources indicated that the June Nintendo Direct certain to lay out the second half of Nintendo's year had no big first-party reveals, I'd question the source.

Speaking entirely from my own personal experience, I don't really see the appeal of leaking things. Some years back, I got a piece of insight about a certain game before it was announced and I didn't tell a soul and I still don't want to even specify what it was or how I knew because I'd be terrified of compromising the position of the person I learned it from. I would never leak things for that reason: I worry about the livelihood of the source, and I think it's kind of inappropriate to do that when someone entrusts you with information.

Don't know if someone already mentioned this but he took down his profile pic and deleted almost every post
Womp womp. Everyone knows the consequences when you’re a leaker. This is all the person was. This person wasn’t a friend. They wanted to leak. They wanted clout. They got it and they got taken down like almost every other leaker.

Speaking entirely from my own personal experience, I don't really see the appeal of leaking things. Some years back, I got a piece of insight about a certain game before it was announced and I didn't tell a soul and I still don't want to even specify what it was or how I knew because I'd be terrified of compromising the position of the person I learned it from. I would never leak things for that reason: I worry about the livelihood of the source, and I think it's kind of inappropriate to do that when someone entrusts you with information.
Same, I even specifically remember a time where I said to a group of irl friends when the trailer was premiering "oh this is xyz" and none of them believed me until the logo appeared on screen. Of course part of the reason I don't say what I've heard is because nothing good comes from it. At best you get 15 minutes of clout and a bunch of weirdos pestering you every 5 minutes, at worst things change and you look like a bozo.

Anecdotal, but yeah, years ago, I had an industry contact at a certain company I am a professed fan of, as well. Of course, I had no reason to share anything on GAF at the time, one, because I didn't want to betray a friend and two, because I didn't think anyone would believe me anyway, lol. Then said contact eventually moved on from that company and so, it became a non-issue.

But in the end, this is why I came to respect the likes of Emily and Nate, back then, because not only were they pretty respectable sources, but they also provided some insight on various things about the company, Nintendo, itself, and how they do things. Which, in the end, I think is more worthwhile to learn about than "oooo, new shiny thing is coming!".

Anecdotal, but yeah, years ago, I had an industry contact at a certain company I am a professed fan of, as well. Of course, I had no reason to share anything on GAF at the time, one, because I didn't want to betray a friend and two, because I didn't think anyone would believe me anyway, lol. Then said contact eventually moved on from that company and so, it became a non-issue.

But in the end, this is why I came to respect the likes of Emily and Nate, back then, because not only were they pretty respectable sources, but they also provided some insight on various things about the company, Nintendo, itself, and how they do things. Which, in the end, I think is more worthwhile to learn about than "oooo, new shiny thing is coming!".
Yeah this is why I hate the generalization of "leakers" whenever a shitty one comes around. Emily was a gem and why I tend to resist the toxicity towards all leakers. She was very personable and talked to the community and gave us insight into that we never would have. I mean we still cite things that she says. So when I see people like Nate and now Brazil try to communicate with the community and give us insight I will look at them differently and better than say a Pyoro.

The thing about Midori is that in the very same document that revealed the account identity was a fraud, they also laid out what Midori's initial source was and that the leaks from that source (an internal roadmap document from Sega) had now dried up. The "leaks" that came after were said to be from dubious sources that they scrambled to get in order to hang onto clout, which is why the account went from rock-solid Sega info to suddenly shotgunning all sorts of weird "codename" leaks and such from other companies. And yes, DQ Trilogy did show up, but she said nothing about DQ Trilogy until after Square Enix made that tweet about "the legacy of Erdrick" that got fans and publications alike assuming they were doing the whole Erdrick trilogy. It was piggybacking.

Plus the person Midori actually turned out to be (MysticDistance) had already shown themselves to be a really untrustworthy leaker before the rebranding (that's why the rebranding), so without the one Sega doc they were basically a Zippo-level person (both in reliability and the way they treated other people).

I didn't like the dogpiling with Pyoro that was happening in the last hours leading to the Direct, but that sure went down the gutter fast since then. Leakers can help set expectations for stuff, but the whole culture around it feels very uncomfortable right now

I didn't like the dogpiling with Pyoro that was happening in the last hours leading to the Direct, but that sure went down the gutter fast since then. Leakers can help set expectations for stuff, but the whole culture around it feels very uncomfortable right now
Funnily enough I think it'll simmer down a bit with Pyoro being gone. Pyoro coming into the spotlight and then the whole shitshow in February kinda lit the "culture" on fire. However, there are some who want to use this moment to incite hostility towards all "leakers." So that part is definitely going to linger.

I mean, if I were Pyoro and my sources indicated that the June Nintendo Direct certain to lay out the second half of Nintendo's year had no big first-party reveals, I'd question the source.
This is the same person that didn’t realize their quotes would be used by a journalist. I wouldn’t think they make the best assumptions.

Yeah, I want to clarify that when I talk about leaking, I think there's a definite difference between people like them and people who just go "here's a list of games that are going to be announced tomorrow", the latter of which is the one I take issue with.

I appreciated Pyoro's leaks since they were pretty much the most accurate and comprehensive, which is really all I needed from this stuff. It was a good run, lol.

He seems to be going off the deep end now as is common with leakers that stay on the scene too long and get figured out. Shouldn't have been a dummy and quit while he was ahead.

Leaks right before a direct due to a website scrape aren’t really a big loss at the end of the day. A matter of days before a proper announcement doesn’t do much.

Early day leaks can be insightful thanks to plans changing etc, but these have always been the cheap, unfun ones to me

With how they have been acting lately, they come off as an adolescent who has a parent (or uncle) that works for Nintendo that has some level of access to eShop backends on a laptop they take home.

I want this to be true because it would be one of the best "my uncle works for Nintendo" scenarios.

I can think of at least one major Switch title where I knew a significant leak a year-ish in advance, and I only ever told my friend. I certainly didn't publicly burn my source. But this gossip stuff inevitably attracts people who enjoy being viewed as an oracle of sorts. Personally, being in the spotlight like that seems terrifying.

I know someone just lost their invite to Nintendo's Generational Rooftop Party.

Leakers are the worst at those things.

I can't say "It was fun while it lasted," because it was never fun.

It's more likely Pyoro is the leaker with the access to the eshop backend and is probably some IT guy, maybe not even a Nintendo employee but with Amazon AWS hosting the eshop. The whole Nintendo Japan /NCL thing is a misdirect and farce. would explain his attempt to erase the evidence.

I appreciated Pyoro's leaks since they were pretty much the most accurate and comprehensive, which is really all I needed from this stuff. It was a good run, lol.

He seems to be going off the deep end now as is common with leakers that stay on the scene too long and get figured out. Shouldn't have been a dummy and quit while he was ahead.
Honestly, I think a lot of folks enjoy the attention. Its an easy way to get 15 minutes of fame. Most people don't have the emotional intelligence to not let that fifteen minutes get to their head, and stop before they compromise themselves or their sources.

I mean in a sense I get it. We all want to be admired, and having many social media followers and retweets is a nice bit of dopamine, I'm not trying to say I've never done anything stupid for attention.

I'm disappointed that the secrecy and long periods of radio silence in the games industry has enabled this type of behavior, and I'm disappointed in myself for occasionally believing the hype, and feeding those egos.

Ehhh I'd say this is subjective. The first party announcements weren't light in terms of volume, but I could easily see how someone could consider it "light" in the sense that there wasn't many heavy hitters to really get too excited over:

- Mario and Luigi Brothership: a new entry in a relatively niche (has never crossed the 5 million unit mark) Mario RPG spin-off series, in which the last two original games had very mixed reception, and the last two remakes they did killed the studio that made them.

- Switch Sports Basketball: An update that very much fits the definition of "too little too late" for a very divisive game

- Donkey Kong Country Returns HD: A $60 Wii port with very little enhancements.

- Super Mario Party Jamboree: The third Mario Party game on the Switch that still uses the exact same assets and style as the 2018 and 2021 entries

- The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom: Asset reusing 2D game

- Metroid Prime 4: A game we've known about since 2017, with a first look where the general impression is "yeah it sure does look like more Metroid Prime".

I'm not saying I agree with all of these statements, but if Pyoro did somehow know about all of this ahead of time, I wouldn't completely blame him for using the term "light" to describe this line-up.

This whole Pyoro thing has reaffirmed to me that leaking things online isn't worth it. Their are so many people on the internet trying to find out who he is so they can doxx him. Those people would feel A LOT of satisfaction if they were the one able to identify him and get him in some trouble with Nintendo.

I understand Pyoro is clout chasing. I just don't think it's worth to be an anonymous game leaker when all these unemployed internet sleuths who have nothing better to do and all the time in the world are out to get you.

Ehhh I'd say this is subjective. The first party announcements weren't light in terms of volume, but I could easily see how someone could consider it "light" in the sense that there wasn't many heavy hitters to really get too excited over:

- Mario and Luigi Brothership: a new entry in a relatively niche (has never crossed the 5 million unit mark) Mario RPG spin-off series, in which the last two original games had very mixed reception, and the last two remakes they did killed the studio that made them.

- Switch Sports Basketball: An update that very much fits the definition of "too little too late" for a very divisive game

- Super Mario Party Jamboree: The third Mario Party game on the Switch that still uses the exact same assets and style as the 2018 and 2021 entries

- Metroid Prime 4: A game we've known about since 2017, with a first look where the general impression is "yeah it sure does look like more Metroid Prime".

I'm not saying I agree with all of these statements, but if Pyoro did somehow know about all of this ahead of time, I wouldn't completely blame him for using the term "light" to describe this line-up.
that's a stretch, he said to lower expectations because Nintendo didn't put anything up on eshop that looked interesting.

if you think pyoro's wouldn't leak M&L , Zelda starring Zelda or that Marvel v Capcom collection as significant announcements, then i have a bridge to sell you.

Dumbass. Rule zero of any reporting when it comes to sensitive info that could get someone in trouble: don't reveal your sources. If pyoro was relying on an insider at NoJ to leak his intel, him admitting that to Schreier in an interview about Pyoro means that source has dried up since Nintendo now is almost guaranteed to start poking through access logs. That's also why IMO Schreier didn't do any ethical errors here either. Schreier was asking Pyoro -> Pyoro admits to him not being the direct source -> Schreier has something he can now publish.

It's not Schreiers job to keep the dripfeed of leaks going as nice as they might be.

Don't worry, there's always someone new on the Horizon! Give it 2 weeks or so.

The whole thing smells imo.

Took about 2 seconds of googling. From the Oxford English Dictionary:
https://www.oed.com/search/dictionary/?scope=Entries&q=brothership&tl=true

Edit: Should probably clarify, I have no position keeping on topic. I'm just answering ZonaiResearcher's as asked because etymology is more interesting than the debate surrounding leakers.
Exactly, that's the only dictionary you'll find it in, and it says it's from Old English. Now, in every other major dictionary, like Cambridge, Merriam-Webster, Collins, etc. you'll find "brotherhood" instead which is the modern usage. You can check in Apple Dictionary, or Google it, and it won't give you a knowledge graph definition for "brothership."

If you type in "brotherhood definition" in Google, you'll get a result like that, which works for 99%+ of other words. OED is more of an archival source for etymology and highly specialized.

The Oxford Learning Dictionary doesn't even return a result for "brothership." Heck, I even checked my own Oxford paper dictionary and it lists "brothers" and then "brotherhood." For all intents and purposes, the English language uses "brotherhood" in place of "brothership," which at this point is archaic old English.
Nintendo plucked the word out of obscurity to describe the ship they're traveling the seas on, but more importantly since brothership is definitely not a word in normal parlance, given the context it's clear Ada was leaking the game.

Reading this post makes my brain hurt. The mental gymnastics and bending over backwards needed you do to try and make Pyoro right is absurd. No reasonable person, in good faith, would look at that lineup and say the the Direct was light. Pyoro was wrong. They got to take the L.

Also despite how disingenuous the heavy hitter or not heavy hitter argument has been pointed out online, it is truly baffling that some people still think that it is a good argument. What qualifies as a heavy hitter? Do you even no? I'll save you the trouble of answering and just reveal that you don't. The next mainline Zelda game is not a heavy hitter? Is being a heavy hitter based on some arbitrary sales number? Well every Mario Party game on Switch has sold more than 10 million copies, a resounding success by any sales metric. But apparently that's not a heavy hitter.

I get that the Direct may not have been for anyone. If not, then just say no. Instead, you are using the defense of Pyoro, who you know got the Direct info wrong, to make a thinly-veiled lazy game developer argument.

Also despite how disingenuous the heavy hitter or not heavy hitter argument has been pointed out online, it is truly baffling that some people still think that it is a good argument. What qualifies as a heavy hitter? Do you even no? I'll save you the trouble of answering and just reveal that you don't. The next mainline Zelda game is not a heavy hitter? Is being a heavy hitter based on some arbitrary sales number? Well every Mario Party game on Switch has sold more than 10 million copies, a resounding success by any sales metric. But apparently that's not a heavy hitter.
Don't forget: TotK was Nintendo's last Switch game. 😏

that's a stretch, he said to lower expectations because Nintendo didn't put anything up on eshop that looked interesting.

if you think pyoro's wouldn't leak M&L , Zelda starring Zelda or that Marvel v Capcom collection as significant announcements, then i have a bridge to sell you.
I have a Jason Schreirer article to feature you on.

Reading this post makes my brain hurt. The mental gymnastics and bending over backwards needed you do to try and make Pyoro right is absurd. No reasonable person, in good faith, would look at that lineup and say the the Direct was light. Pyoro was wrong. They got to take the L.

I get that the Direct may not have been for anyone. If not, then just say no. Instead, you are using the defense of Pyoro, who you know got the Direct info wrong, to make a thinly-veiled lazy game developer argument.
Also like, Pyoro leaked a demo for Another Code. He's leaked random NSO drops. He leaked the announcement of Everybody 1-2 Switch. Do people really think he wouldn't have leaked things like a new Mario&Luigi, a new Zelda, a new Mario Party, DKCR HD, or Prime 4 if he could have?

Pyoro lost his source/access, took a swing and gambled on Nintendo having the light second half most people were expecting from them rather than just come right out and admit he had no info, and was (unfortunately for him) laughably wrong

leakers that just reveal a direct lineup a few days/hours ahead of the event are lame as fuck in my book they don't offer any insight and just spoil the fun for anyone involved.

I much prefer people who can offer insight into what are some projetcs in the works but I have no interest into knowing exactly when and where a game is announced.

Also gotta say it's hilarious to still see people defending Pyoro integrity even now despite it being painfully obvious he is as dumb as he appears.

Back
Top Bottom