• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Pyoro claimed his source is a "Nintendo of Japan employee" that might had access to Nintendo's backend - EDIT : Pyoro's account his now private

I'm starting to wonder how truthful Pyoro is being. Like sarcastic response verse real one. They should have realized they were DM'ing with a Bloomberg reporter. Who even gave the usual reporter type of FYI beforehand.

Maybe they are trying to push some of Nintendo's snooping into the source of leaks from themselves onto looking internally. Or maybe Pyoro really just didn't look into too deeply who they were messaging.

and now he privated his Twitter account
yeah something doesn't add up. You really got a job in one of the most difficult companies to get into, one with abnomrally high employee retention at that, and you throw it all away for some random guy on the internet?
Some people are just that dumb...

7QNNsBf0KFdA.png

The leaker has been leaked

I6JtjOAwiclO.jpg

I'm starting to wonder how truthful Pyoro is being. Like sarcastic response verse real one. They should have realized they were DM'ing with a Bloomberg reporter. Who even gave the usual reporter type of FYI beforehand.

Maybe they are trying to push some of Nintendo's snooping into the source of leaks from themselves onto looking internally. Or maybe Pyoro really just didn't look into too deeply who they were messaging.

Ge01B17sIMGB.jpg

Remember to transcribe your Tweets

Pyoro is an idiot, but the anti-leak brigade digging into him, and then Schreier deciding to ensure someone gets fired so he can dunk on said leaker, is all equally dumb.
Schreier is simply doing his job, which is to inform people. He doesn't have to be a crony, neither when it comes to leaks nor when it comes to denouncing the practices of this or that company. It's so difficult to be a free and independent video game journalist in the landscape of 2024 that the last thing I'd want to do is incriminate the few that maintain integrity, high standards and quality.

Let me make it clear that I have absolutely nothing against Pyoro. I loved not being spoiled and being genuinely surprised by the last Direct, but people are free not to follow Pyoro, that's their responsibility. On the other hand, it bothers me to criticize a journalist for doing his job, all the time, without modulating his principles according to the interlocutor. Personally, I think that's more to Schreier's credit.

I'm catching up on all of this right now but, based on what I've read so far, is it assumed that Pyoro's source was probably addressed by Nintendo prior to this past Nintendo Direct and that's why there was a lack of information that they had posted? Their source at NCL was maybe let go or no longer had access to the significant announcements that Nintendo had in the Direct. I assume they still had SOME type of source there as they did know third party content but presumably Nintendo addressed their own announcements/content leaking?

The greatest mystery now is how Papa Genos got the Zelda news. He hinted at playable Zelda weeks in advance of the Direct and in his "predictions", he said it would be a 2D Zelda game in the style of the LA remake. So either he was directly told the details of the game by someone or someone showed him screenshots or pictures of the cover art.
im sure "Playable Zelda" is just those "broken clock" predictions.
Repeated constantly and way too broad strokes

I'm catching up on all of this right now but, based on what I've read so far, is it assumed that Pyoro's source was probably addressed by Nintendo prior to this past Nintendo Direct and that's why there was a lack of information that they had posted? Their source at NCL was maybe let go or no longer had access to the significant announcements that Nintendo had in the Direct. I assume they still had SOME type of source there as they did know third party content but presumably Nintendo addressed their own announcements/content leaking?
Their source potentially was working there. From what we can tell they were able to see pre-order pages before they went live. This was observable as far back as PPST; a game that did not leak since it did not have a pre-order page preloading in the back. Leading up to this Direct Pyoro had nothing except for a Pokemon B/W leak. That never showed up & pre-order pages for 1st party games didn’t go live until recently.

So i went to pre-order TLoZ Echoes of Wisdom today and Gamestop still did not have it in their system.
Nintendo was going all out to hunt for Pyoro's source. And i'm glad that bird is dead.

I've actually been waiting for pre-orders to go up for the first-party games at any retailer (as well as the store pages for them on the Nintendo Store) and none of it has gone up yet. It's really interesting honestly because I usually could either go online or in-store to the retailers a couple of hours after the Direct and they'll be able to put most, if not all, of my pre-orders though!

A brand new 2D Zelda in the style of the LA remake with Zelda as the main character showing up at this particular Direct is a broad stroke?
"Nintendo will announce a new Zelda game, 2D (re-using the LA engine is a good educated guess), with playable zelda"
broad enough. if they dont reveal name or specific mechanics, is broad enough to pass as broken clock,

By that logic Im a leaker cause I told a friend Metroid Primer 4 will be on the Direct and feature Sylux

I always enjoyed Pyoro, rest in peace you crazy bird.

Honestly I'm fine without your average game leaks. I just mainly want Switch 2 hardware leaks at this point, which are probably going to be posted anonymously on a forum on a random Tuesday.

I always enjoyed Pyoro, rest in peace you crazy bird.

Honestly I'm fine without your average game leaks. I just mainly want Switch 2 hardware leaks at this point, which are probably going to be posted anonymously on a forum on a random Tuesday.
Let the pros handle the Switch 2 hardware leaks. I prefer Eurogamer write something instead of an anonymous Twitter bird.

Let the pros handle the Switch 2 hardware leaks. I prefer Eurogamer write something instead of an anonymous Twitter bird.
The best type of hardware leaks:

1) A professionally written article by someone trustworthy
2) Low-quality PNGs posted on a forum by someone called "GanondorfsToes"

Also yeah, wasn't expecting Pyoro to have any hardware stuff.

The best type of hardware leaks:

1) A professionally written article by someone trustworthy
2) Low-quality PNGs posted on a forum by someone called "GanondorfsToes"

Also yeah, wasn't expecting Pyoro to have any hardware stuff.
Also if you are leaking Halo, the video footage has to be done in a barn.

This all just looks like misdirection to me because people were finally figuring out how he got his info. He saw that everyone just believed that one other "leaker" was actually a Japanese girl and rolled with it for so long so they would also take his word at face value. Pyoro always seemed like a smart guy so there's no way this isn't just an act, but what do I know. Him making his account private doesn't mean much.

This all just looks like misdirection to me because people were finally figuring out how he got his info. He saw that everyone just believed that one other "leaker" was actually a Japanese girl and rolled with it for so long so they would also take his word at face value. Pyoro always seemed like a smart guy so there's no way this isn't just an act, but what do I know. Him making his account private doesn't mean much.
there's only a limited number of candidates with access to eshop backend, so if it's been narrowed down to eshop listings before a direct goes live, they are pretty much already toast. i think Nintendo let Pyoro spin his wheels on this direct to confirm their suspicions As i noticed, they also locked down pre-orders hard, so they probably had a number of potential leads or simply wanted to ensure there is no other leaks elsewhere that throw them off.

Schreier is simply doing his job, which is to inform people. He doesn't have to be a crony, neither when it comes to leaks nor when it comes to denouncing the practices of this or that company. It's so difficult to be a free and independent video game journalist in the landscape of 2024 that the last thing I'd want to do is incriminate the few that maintain integrity, high standards and quality.

Let me make it clear that I have absolutely nothing against Pyoro. I loved not being spoiled and being genuinely surprised by the last Direct, but people are free not to follow Pyoro, that's their responsibility. On the other hand, it bothers me to criticize a journalist for doing his job, all the time, without modulating his principles according to the interlocutor. Personally, I think that's more to Schreier's credit.
Agreed but Jason Schreier is not at all an independent video game journalist. He's been working for Bloomberg since 2020. And Schreier has leaked a fair amount of things in the past as well, based on things anonymous sources have told him.

I can’t help but laugh at the attitude on this thread when everyone knows whenever the next leaker appears the forum will go crazy following them.
I actually dislike how in this forum in particular there is a constant attempt of deification of leakers and insiders. I've always maintained that I don't like people who leak things and think they serve no purpose but to inflate their own egos and ruin surprises and events that not only do people put money and time into to make and prepare, but many look forward to.

Imo the best outcome is no leakers.

Agreed but Jason Schreier is not at all an independent video game journalist. He's been working for Bloomberg since 2020. And Schreier has leaked a fair amount of things in the past as well, based on things anonymous sources have told him.
Jason really only leaks games if it is related to a story. For example, when he reported that there was a TLOU Remake in progress, it was tied to a story about Bend Studios' current culture and everything that went down after Days Gone released.

Jason doesn't just randomly post two days before a conference or show that "Nintendo is working on a 2D Zelda game".

I can’t help but laugh at the attitude on this thread when everyone knows whenever the next leaker appears the forum will go crazy following them.
The Direct speculation literally got to 350 pages and comments waiting for Pyoro were at least half the replies. People had this dude on the absolute highest pedestal and it’s cringey to watch so many now come out and say theyre glad he’s cornered like they didn’t Stan him all along.

i don’t usually put a lot of stock in what leakers have to say (and also think it’s kind of a bummer for the Nintendo employees that work so hard to keep this stuff under wraps and don’t get the payoff of seeing fans react to the reveal with genuine surprise), but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t following his posts this time because of how accurate he’s been in the past and how impatiently curious I was about what would be in the direct.

Jason really only leaks games if it is related to a story. For example, when he reported that there was a TLOU Remake in progress, it was tied to a story about Bend Studios' current culture and everything that went down after Days Gone released.

Jason doesn't just randomly post two days before a conference or show that "Nintendo is working on a 2D Zelda game".
He did infamously leak that No Man's Sky was delayed before that was made official: https://kotaku.com/sources-no-mans-sky-delayed-1778797365

Anyways my main point was that he's not an independent journalist as claimed by @boodream. Maybe he was thinking of Stephen Totilo, who used to be at Kotaku, then Axios, and now has a newsletter/independent site?

She just lucky guessed that one. She isn't a leaker.
Please tell me this is sarcasm? "Brothership" is as uncommon a word as you can get while still technically being in the dictionary (I'm actually a bit shocked that it IS); if you try searching for the word every result bar one is about the M&L game. I remember when people tried to deny the Smash 4 Gematsu leak even though that would somehow mean they "guessed" Wii Fit Trainer of all things - this is similar levels of ridiculousness.

The Direct speculation literally got to 350 pages and comments waiting for Pyoro were at least half the replies. People had this dude on the absolute highest pedestal and it’s cringey to watch so many now come out and say theyre glad he’s cornered like they didn’t Stan him all along.
Don't assume the people who stanned him and the people who are glad to see him leaving are the same people. We literally started splitting the past several Direct Speculation threads in two because so many of us didn't like what Pyoro was doing and wanted threads where we could keep talking about the Directs without his tweets dominating them. It's not like we all stanned him and then all suddenly flipped on him when it became cool to or whatever. The split opinion about him has been here for a good while.

I actually dislike how in this forum in particular there is a constant attempt of deification of leakers and insiders.
If you think Famiboards is bad at deifying leakers then you shoulda seen the comments on their Twitter posts. A lot of the ways people were responding to them seemed cult-like to me. And I'm not talking only about the recent two everyone's been discussing, but some of the earlier, less reliable, and even banned ones.

They'd even share quotes and paraphrases of people badmouthing them to bait their followers into telling them how great they are and professing their love and stuff. It's seriously wild.

She just lucky guessed that one. She isn't a leaker.
Absolutely not. That was a clear leak. All seven titles in the series (including remakes) were developed by AlphaDream, and since the studio folded 5 years ago there was no reason to believe the series would be revived, especially when their last remake sold so poorly it killed the company. Brothership isn't even a real word in the modern sense, it doesn't appear in Merriam-Webster, Cambridge, Dictionary.com, or Collins Dictionary. And even if a new Mario & Luigi title was rumored, it would be most likely to be a remake, since in 1 calendar year we got Super Mario RPG remake and Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door remake.
Please tell me this is sarcasm? "Brothership" is as uncommon a word as you can get while still technically being in the dictionary (I'm actually a bit shocked that it IS); if you try searching for the word every result bar one is about the M&L game. I remember when people tried to deny the Smash 4 Gematsu leak even though that would somehow mean they "guessed" Wii Fit Trainer of all things - this is similar levels of ridiculousness.
What dictionary are you using there? I couldn't find it in any of the major dictionaries.

I don’t really care about leakers either way, but I always found the worship of them (even if ironic) really odd, especially with how their reputations can go from great to terrible at the blink of an eye.

If I were a leaker I'd just post them on 4chan and bounce. No riddles, no patreon, no socializing, none of that nonsense.
Imagine a place so vile that even leakers stay away from it. I think it's better for everyone that place never brings in new people.

If I were a leaker I'd just post them on 4chan and bounce. No riddles, no patreon, no socializing, none of that nonsense.
Nowadays leakers want clout and legitimacy and you don't get that by anonymously throwing things into 4chan and hoping someone picks it up. Plus, I don't think gaming sites report on 4chan rumors anymore either.

This is why, when you know things, you have to play smart and never ever talking to the media.
You can go full stupid for a second and spill your beans, but, come on, who wrote these things knows well that a person is going to lose his job for that sentence...

]

Na. While he should have tried to get a clearer answer from jason, this message is really vague and with a slightly naive reading (appreciation for Jason? Unfounded trust?) you can interpret this that it's a general article without the goal of outing anything.

Also I'm aware that there is a praxis where final articles based on an interview can need final approval by the interviewer, I guess that luxury just goes to important persons but it would have been nice of Jason to let him read over it when it was written.

I will totally neutral about leaks. I will read those leaks, but i won't deifying leakers.

I also don't care with those believer, and also won't blame them. But if their god going to died, i won't take any action to protect or support him, fair enough.

The fact is, if they choose to gain reputation or benefits from leaks, then it also means they choose to gain risk. If they died, that coz they ask for it.

That depends on if they're funny or obnoxious

Pyoro was funny before he started acting desperate so I liked having him around. But I wanted him (and Midori) to stop leaking before the hype for Switch 2 ramps up. And they're gone now. That is it.

Dude was doing way too much, leaking interesting things from time to time is one thing - trying to more or less replace the official channels by leaking everything a couple days/hours earlier always seemed cloutchasey to me and didnt add too much value. Outside of people in event predictions mistakenly already spilling the beans they got from following him.

He did infamously leak that No Man's Sky was delayed before that was made official: https://kotaku.com/sources-no-mans-sky-delayed-1778797365

Anyways my main point was that he's not an independent journalist as claimed by @boodream. Maybe he was thinking of Stephen Totilo, who used to be at Kotaku, then Axios, and now has a newsletter/independent site?
When I say independent, I mean work ethic. You can, even if it is more and more difficult, work in a big editorial and show independence of mind and freedom. In the same way, not being attached to a newsroom does not necessarily mean providing independent work that is disconnected from interventions and pressures, although obviously this can be more often the case.

Leakers build up clout/rep by getting predictions correct. In the case of Midori and Pyoro, they were both actively putting out information that they knew to be false/suspect towards the end, and that's partly what caused the community to turn on them. It's one thing to put out information that you believe is correct but turns out to be false, but another to just make up information rather than admitting that you don't have anything to share or just staying quiet.

Pyoro never did that. People started suspecting his source had been caught precisely because he didn't leak the entire direct like he used to, only a couple minor things, which still turned out to be real.

And as far as we know, Midori didn't do that either. So far I don't think anything they said have been proved wrong, DQ trilogy was in the direct after all. Obviously that doesn't excuse them pretending to be a japanese girl which is the icky part of that story.

I don't understand why everyone seems to hate Pyoro all of a sudden and hope he gets caught, all the while still welcoming other leakers with open arms.

Back
Top Bottom