• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown |ST| The Franchise Formerly Starring Prince

Tracking this game pretty close, got a buddy to try the demo on PS5 and he was digging it too (y)

I'll likely purchase it soon, tho I want to see the bugs ironed out before I kick off my playthru!

Just finished up right now, amazing experience over all and a really good way to start the year. I also like how all the bosses special attacks were full anime with explosions and beams all over the screen.

I noticed that there was a new patch update for the Switch version today. Anyone knows what's in it? It is safe to start the pirate bird quest now?
I unfortunately don't have an answer. I just want to echo this question. My version number is showing as 1.0.4, but it doesn't seem like Ubisoft posted patch notes like they did for 1.0.1.

I unfortunately don't have an answer. I just want to echo this question. My version number is showing as 1.0.4, but it doesn't seem like Ubisoft posted patch notes like they did for 1.0.1.
I notice that the frame rate seems to has been improved (on Switch) in the later part of the game with the update I got a couple of days ago. There were some wide open areas at the very top of the map that had really bad frame rates, and when I returned to that area yesterday there where no bad frame rate drops anymore.

I notice that the frame rate seems to has been improved (on Switch) in the later part of the game with the update I got a couple of days ago. There were some wide open areas at the very top of the map that had really bad frame rates, and when I returned to that area yesterday there where no bad frame rate drops anymore.
That's good to hear. When I played the demo on Switch, I was pretty surprised that I quickly encountered some slowdown as I was exploring. I had thought the game was known to be fairly locked to 60 on Switch, so improvements to frame rate to address these areas would be great.

Finished it today, loved the final boss fight. Just challenging enough that I got farther and farther each time. Dragonball Z style transformations and powers? Awesome. I loved this game start to finish and will be tough to beat for my GOTY.

Just rolled credits. Absolutely stellar game. Shout out to the Farsi dub, really made me feel immersed in the story and atmosphere

My game (switch vers.) keeps freezing at the sunken harbor (something about missing bird quest.) can I skip it for now? It also freezed when I was at the moon quest. Starting to realize how buggy this game is.

My game (switch vers.) keeps freezing at the sunken harbor (something about missing bird quest.) can I skip it for now? It also freezed when I was at the moon quest. Starting to realize how buggy this game is.
Yeah, the missing bird quest being incompletable is unfortunately a known bug, I've had it happen to me too.
It's thankfully just a minor side quest and can be skipped (the reward isn't even all that great as far as I know).

Finished it today at 70%. Amazing game! Fantastic world map with a great mix of parkour platforming, melee fights, puzzles and story - and also with great flexibility to tailor the difficulty. The Switch version is pretty impressive (I didn't have any major issues, but I never started the parrot quest after I read about the problems with it here), given that it's developed in Unity and just a 6 GB game. There are some notable Unity-style frame drops related to scene transitions, however. The Persian dub really gives the story elements a unique touch.

One "story" thing I didn't understand (perhaps I didn't found/read the necessary collectible for it or something):
Who's the big bird that is shown on the loading screen and is also seen in the frozen section of the map? There are all these feather references and the small bird arriving at the end, but...?

Finished it today at 70%. Amazing game! Fantastic world map with a great mix of parkour platforming, melee fights, puzzles and story - and also with great flexibility to tailor the difficulty. The Switch version is pretty impressive (I didn't have any major issues, but I never started the parrot quest after I read about the problems with it here), given that it's developed in Unity and just a 6 GB game. There are some notable Unity-style frame drops related to scene transitions, however. The Persian dub really gives the story elements a unique touch.

One "story" thing I didn't understand (perhaps I didn't found/read the necessary collectible for it or something):
Who's the big bird that is shown on the loading screen and is also seen in the frozen section of the map? There are all these feather references and the small bird arriving at the end, but...?
... the Simurgh? Not quite sure how you missed that, it's kinda the main thrust of the narrative

I guess it may never explicitly state that it's a bird but you're collecting its feathers, what did you think it was?

Last edited:
... the Simurgh? Not quite sure how you missed that, it's kinda the main thrust of the narrative

I guess it may never explicitly state that it's a bird but you're collecting its feathers, what did you think it was?
I thought the Simurgh was a religion/deity of some sort, and that the bird was a separate physical representation. But when I now google "Simurgh" I see how it's all connected, even though the Simurgh is supposed to be part mammal.

Finished the game yesterday with 76% and 31 hours. I didn't use the hint feature, so I did a lot of wandering around in my early hours of the game. The map in this game is absolutely massive and well designed. I also felt like this game allowed the player to explore without being blocked at every turn. Yes, you will reach areas where it becomes obvious that you need a new ability to proceed, but they often let you at least enter a new area and explore it a little before you really need to go there. I didn't do a deep dive into the combat, but there is depth there if you want to take the time to practice. Visually, I found PoP to be a very good looking game. One of the better looking games on Switch. I am a framerate whore and am very sensitive to framerate drops and improper frame pacing so what I am about to say wont be evident to a lot of people. PoP stays at or close to 60fps most of the time, but it suffers from improper frame pacing quite often and introduces judder making the game not feel as smooth as I would like. Playing portably makes this far less noticeable, but I played about half the game docked, and it was noticeable. My initial impression in the opening hour was PoP had better performance than Metroid Dread, but as I progressed throughout the game I found the judder to rear its ugly head more often than it did in Dread.

Overall, I would give this game an 8.5 our of 10. For any fans of the genre, I would absolutely recommend it. I bought the deluxe digital version for $60 and have no regrets.

Just finished it as well. Fantastic platforming, good bosses, alright narrative. Great map. Music was kinda unremarkable, which is a shame because obviously a lot of effort went into it with all the live Persian instrumentation.

It definitely feels like a passion project and I'm very happy it exists! Would love a follow-up. Not sure if we'll get one though, apparently sales weren't super great, but maybe it's got good legs.

Just finished it as well. Fantastic platforming, good bosses, alright narrative. Great map. Music was kinda unremarkable, which is a shame because obviously a lot of effort went into it with all the live Persian instrumentation.

It definitely feels like a passion project and I'm very happy it exists! Would love a follow-up. Not sure if we'll get one though, apparently sales weren't super great, but maybe it's got good legs.

At least the story doesn't end on a cliffhanger. 16 years on still waiting to find out what happens after the end of Prince of Persia (2008) and it's DLC.

At least the story doesn't end on a cliffhanger. 16 years on still waiting to find out what happens after the end of Prince of Persia (2008) and it's DLC.
Totally, for how epic that final boss fight was, leaving it hanging like that was a bit of a bummer xD .

It left some threads open though, didn’t it? Unless I missed it, there’s some stuff involving the prophecy and other things the game never touches on. I was wondering if there’d be DLC for it

Seems like they finally addressed the Pirate Quest bugging out:

• Treasure of the Seven Seas – Stubborn but colorful parrot does not want to return to the Pirate Captain leaving players unable to finish the quest.²

Although not sure if it's retroactive, Parrot was still gone on my save :/

Finished with 87%.

What an amazing game. Really. The story, music and gameplay are out of this world.

Play this game people. It’s the best 2d Metroidvania.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Unable to move or jump or side or anything unless attacking.

The update fixed my PS5 version, so I went back and finished the bird sidequest, then wrapped up a few things to get the Plat… then discovered that to get 100% shown as your in-game completion you have to fully upgrade all amulets as well as find all items.

Which I did, dammit, but I don’t really recommend it since I had to grind for crystals to do so. Still!

100%
27.6 hours

Excellent game!

The Lost Crown dropped down to $30 at Best Buy (US), so I bit. Looking forward to playing it soon!

I'm kind of out of the loop for this game, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question: is there a retail version for it or just digital?

Quoted by: em
Vaguely regretting getting this via Ubisoft+ now but might just resub and buy the DLC when the time comes (and if it looks appealing enough)

Great to see the game getting support though! Hopefully this means good things for its sales

I'm only at the halfway mark (heading to the pit again) after buying it last week, but I don't think I'll be coming back for the DLC. The Lost Crown's platforming is enjoyable, but the enemies are damage sponges and the controls feel a bit sloppy (compared to Metroid Dread or even Guacamelee).

Edit: The feel is very much like Bloodstained, now that I think about it.

Last edited:
I'm only at the halfway mark (heading to the pit again) after buying it last week, but I don't think I'll be coming back for the DLC. The Lost Crown's platforming is enjoyable, but the enemies are damage sponges and the controls feel a bit sloppy (compared to Metroid Dread or even Guacamelee).

Honestly feel like the damage sponginess gets better once you get more tools to use and a sword upgrade or two but I definitely see where you're coming from at least on that front. I thought the controls were fine, Dread definitely felt a bit tighter but Dread is admittedly a very high bar to clear.

Last edited:

FWIW, you can tweek the damage/health to your liking in multiple ways.

Yeah, I wound up dialing enemy health down to 50%, which was honestly too low after I crafted some upgrades, but I didn't care much for the game's combat anyway so I left it as such. Overall, the platforming challenges were pretty fun, but the rest of the game didn't hit the right notes for me.

The game encourages aerial combat, consider the gem that ups damage in the air. I played on the hardest difficulty and found the enemy HP to be fine after implementing that, don't neglect the O button (ps controller) ability either.

I'm ashamed to admit that I still haven't finished this game. Me! The OP!

I think it's excellent in so many ways, specifically its creative abilities and its fabulous QOL improvements over its peers in the genre. But, it's also kind of long for my tastes! I feel like I've seen what I want to see and the game isn't quite done with me.

I plan to finish it eventually, but I'm a little bummed that it hasn't had as much staying power with me as I initially projected.

I'm ashamed to admit that I still haven't finished this game. Me! The OP!

I think it's excellent in so many ways, specifically its creative abilities and its fabulous QOL improvements over its peers in the genre. But, it's also kind of long for my tastes! I feel like I've seen what I want to see and the game isn't quite done with me.

I plan to finish it eventually, but I'm a little bummed that it hasn't had as much staying power with me as I initially projected.

I agree with this 100%. I really enjoyed this game, and I did spend quite a few more hours playing through it than most people, around 30 hours. Regardless, about half way through I realized how much a I prefer the length of Metroid Dread. Shortly after finishing PoP I decided to go back and replay Dread for the fifth time. Spent about 10 hours replaying it and for this type of game, I really do prefer that length and it entices me to replay the game numerous time. When a game is 20+ hours to complete, it becomes a much bigger commitment and often times I will decline to replay it. Its the only real criticsm I have for this PoP game and honestly, when I do go back and replay it down the road, I will probably just turn on the hint feature to shorten up the game.

Ubisoft published the content of the first Update!

Most notable:
  • Beating the new Permadeath and Speedrun mode will unlock a new outfit each. Beating Permadeath on immortal unlocks an additional outfit.
  • More difficulty adjustments for enemy health, damage and parrying
  • After completing the games story, you'll now be able to buy a treasure map from Fariba for each area, denoting all the lore items you haven't found yet.

I’m currently over 3 hours into this game after picking up after a sale, and after all of the praise it got back 2 months ago and my personal excitement I had for it back when it was announced, I have to say I’m pretty whelmed so far. It’s not bad but after all of the 9/10 scores and people saying it was up there with Metroid Dread in terms of quality I just can’t say I see it. There’s just alot of little things that are adding up for me:

The Combat: Enemies take way, way too long to kill on normal difficulty. I had to set the difficulty to easy and even then I’m still wailing on soldiers for quite a while before they die. And even with their health lowered I still end up running past most of them to save on time and health. Combat itself is fun but not particularly interesting

The Chatter: This is a chatty game. Yes it improves after a certain point but it’s still a pace breaker when it happens. I don’t want to skip any dialogue but I also want to get a move on sometimes.

No Minimap: I don’t even know how this happened, I’m constantly pulling up the whole map to see where I am. Not the end of the world but it’s a very baffling exclusion.

The Level Design: I saw this be one of the most praised aspects of the game, but in my opinion the rooms tend to be too large and empty, and there’s several rooms that just straight up have nothing in them for some reason.

The Pacing: Maybe I’m spoiled by Metroid games but it takes hours between getting new power ups, which is what I personally believe to be the draw of MetroidVanias. But progress just feels extremely slow here, both with how long it takes to get places, constant talking moments bogging down the pacing, and with how far apart meaningful power-ups are. Also apparently this game is 20 hours??? I don’t think I can do another 15 hours of this game, even if I was loving it.

I really want to love this game after all the praise it got & my love for Metroid Dread. Unfortunately I just don’t and it bums me out. Maybe I don’t love MetroidVanias as much as I think I do as I’m also one of the only people on planet Earth that really doesn’t care for Hollow Knight but I’m not sure. I loved Ori 2, and it’s not like that game plays like Metroid Dread. But please tell me what I’m missing with this game that has people so enamored with it. I want to love it too :(

I’m currently over 3 hours into this game after picking up after a sale, and after all of the praise it got back 2 months ago and my personal excitement I had for it back when it was announced, I have to say I’m pretty whelmed so far. It’s not bad but after all of the 9/10 scores and people saying it was up there with Metroid Dread in terms of quality I just can’t say I see it. There’s just alot of little things that are adding up for me:

The Combat: Enemies take way, way too long to kill on normal difficulty. I had to set the difficulty to easy and even then I’m still wailing on soldiers for quite a while before they die. And even with their health lowered I still end up running past most of them to save on time and health. Combat itself is fun but not particularly interesting

The Chatter: This is a chatty game. Yes it improves after a certain point but it’s still a pace breaker when it happens. I don’t want to skip any dialogue but I also want to get a move on sometimes.

No Minimap: I don’t even know how this happened, I’m constantly pulling up the whole map to see where I am. Not the end of the world but it’s a very baffling exclusion.

The Level Design: I saw this be one of the most praised aspects of the game, but in my opinion the rooms tend to be too large and empty, and there’s several rooms that just straight up have nothing in them for some reason.

The Pacing: Maybe I’m spoiled by Metroid games but it takes hours between getting new power ups, which is what I personally believe to be the draw of MetroidVanias. But progress just feels extremely slow here, both with how long it takes to get places, constant talking moments bogging down the pacing, and with how far apart meaningful power-ups are. Also apparently this game is 20 hours??? I don’t think I can do another 15 hours of this game, even if I was loving it.

I really want to love this game after all the praise it got & my love for Metroid Dread. Unfortunately I just don’t and it bums me out. Maybe I don’t love MetroidVanias as much as I think I do as I’m also one of the only people on planet Earth that really doesn’t care for Hollow Knight but I’m not sure. I loved Ori 2, and it’s not like that game plays like Metroid Dread. But please tell me what I’m missing with this game that has people so enamored with it. I want to love it too :(
This game is a much slower burn than Metroid Dread - it’s far more like Hollow Knight in that department. If you’re only three hours in then you’ve barely gotten started. I will say that the game improves a lot once you’ve gotten a little ways in and gotten more power ups - plus the story and chattiness goes way down, too. It’s pretty frontloaded with that.

This game is a much slower burn than Metroid Dread - it’s far more like Hollow Knight in that department.
Well Hollow Knight also being such a slow burn is one of the many things I didn’t like about that game too, so idk. I greatly prefer a concise 10 hour long MetroidVania where I’m constantly unlocking new things than one stretched out to 20 hours with very slow progression. And I'm saying 3 hours because that's what the game says, but I feel like I’ve been playing for at least 5 by this point.

Well Hollow Knight also being such a slow burn is one of the many things I didn’t like about that game too, so idk. I greatly prefer a concise 10 hour long MetroidVania where I’m constantly unlocking new things than one stretched out to 20 hours with very slow progression. And I'm saying 3 hours because that's what the game says, but I feel like I’ve been playing for at least 5 by this point.
Have you beaten the first big boss yet? It’s in an arena-looking room of sorts. Shortly after that is when I’d say the game picks up more, so I’d say stick with it for a bit and see if it grabs you some more! The first ability or two isn’t that exciting - but there are some excellent ones a bit further in.

Have you beaten the first big boss yet? It’s in an arena-looking room of sorts. Shortly after that is when I’d say the game picks up more, so I’d say stick with it for a bit and see if it grabs you some more! The first ability or two isn’t that exciting - but there are some excellent ones a bit further in.
I’m WELL past that.

I’m WELL past that.
Hmm, okay. I could’ve sworn that was more than three hours into the game, but I admittedly did a lot of exploring and backtracking so my times may be way off.

I don’t know - if the game isn’t grabbing you then it isn’t grabbing you. It happens. You’re definitely not the only person I’ve heard who dislikes the length and size of the map and pacing.

I’m assuming you’re referring to Jahandar?
OK yeah that's it

If you're well past that I'd probably say if the game hasn't clicked by then it's probably not going to. I do think it gets better as it goes along, especially in the level design department, but pacing of powers seems to be your biggest problem and that doesn't change much (though the powers get more interesting imo)

Back
Top Bottom