• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown |ST| The Franchise Formerly Starring Prince

So, I haven't picked up on any whispers because I have to play with my sound pretty low most of the time. That said, it might actually be a callback to Sands of Time. In that game, every save point infused Prince with the sands of time such that he could see the immediate future. While that played out, increasingly loud whispers complemented the preview of things to come in the story. I think the whispers occur elsewhere, too, but that's the part that comes to mind for me.

The only time I've noticed 'whispers' is when finding and opening one of those sands of time jars, so you're probably right on the money.

Oh my, this game completely fell apart for me just now. 4 crashes to Switch desktop and a soft lock, all during the same late game boss fight. Not fun. Rebooting the Switch did the trick.

Interestingly enough, I've had NO problems during regular gameplay. Completely buttoned up. But just about every cutscene has had some issues, as well as some bosses, and the above stuff kinda ruined the experience for a bit.

After beating the boss the game was completely smooth and polished again. WEIRD. But after an hour of bliss all was well again. Still, something to keep in mind.

That all said, however hammy the story delivery can be, there's actually some really cool twists and drama in here...!
The only time I've noticed 'whispers' is when finding and opening one of those sands of time jars, so you're probably right on the money.
Also, when activating a tree. Which is a save point so might be a callback to Sands.

Finished the game with 81% at 18 hours and I had no bugs at all.

I did have a crash, though, which happened in a boss fight when I activated a special move right when the boss was triggering his. I guess the game's brain just got fried when that happened and it sent me back to the home screen. Thankfully, I didn't lose much progress.

This was easily a 9/10 game for me and one of best Metroidvanias I've played.

It just dawned on me that it's kind of funny that we now have a Prince of Persia game where you don't play as the Prince but as someone who's job it is to protect him (well, sorta). Almost like a certain game that went on to become Assassin's Creed 👀

It just dawned on me that it's kind of funny that we now have a Prince of Persia game where you don't play as the Prince but as someone who's job it is to protect him (well, sorta). Almost like a certain game that went on to become Assassin's Creed 👀
The devs are just getting their practice in for their dream Zelda spin-off

And now the game opens up even more, and I finally have the double jump! And a million places to go back to.

The structure before the sand pit is interesting - I went and explored around and got the two required abilities to enter before I even knew I needed them, because my brain always likes to explore more before going where the game wants you to go. But in this case that was exactly what I was supposed to do anyway.

I’d have to examine it more fully once I know the full game layout, but it seems like the game isn’t as open as it appears and it does a really good job of making it seem like you have a ton of places to go at any one time, but really your ‘zone of possible exploration’ just expands a bit more, little by little.

And now the game opens up even more, and I finally have the double jump! And a million places to go back to.

The structure before the sand pit is interesting - I went and explored around and got the two required abilities to enter before I even knew I needed them, because my brain always likes to explore more before going where the game wants you to go. But in this case that was exactly what I was supposed to do anyway.

I’d have to examine it more fully once I know the full game layout, but it seems like the game isn’t as open as it appears and it does a really good job of making it seem like you have a ton of places to go at any one time, but really your ‘zone of possible exploration’ just expands a bit more, little by little.

It's classic Metroidvania in that regard. You barely have two options at most for where to go and most of the time a single one. However, the game has a lot of side-challenges with exclusive rooms dedicated to them that give the impression of being more open than it is. I think it does a great job with that. They could, however, improve the rewards for those challenges. Some of the most brutal rooms platforming wise are only there to grant you a coin which is not much valuable after you have taken the two or three best rewards for them. I have a pile of 20 of those in my pocket and don't know what to do with them...

You definitely could argue that the game doesn't have enough "good" things to hide in all those nooks and crannies. Nothing is quite as frustrating as getting through a parcour with a very impressive spikes/pixel density only to get another shiny coin as reward or worse, another (ugly) skin 🙄

At least in the Sands of Time games you knew that you'd be getting a health upgrade, more sand containers or a new power after getting through all those death traps.

It's classic Metroidvania in that regard. You barely have two options at most for where to go and most of the time a single one. However, the game has a lot of side-challenges with exclusive rooms dedicated to them that give the impression of being more open than it is. I think it does a great job with that. They could, however, improve the rewards for those challenges. Some of the most brutal rooms platforming wise are only there to grant you a coin which is not much valuable after you have taken the two or three best rewards for them. I have a pile of 20 of those in my pocket and don't know what to do with them...
You use coins to upgrade the amulets to their +2 and +3 levels, and a merchant in the depths asks for coins to sell his stuff.

Seriously, is it just me who feel I don't get enough coins? There are so many things I want to buy/upgrade, but I have so few coins I have to be picky with what I choose.

You use coins to upgrade the amulets to their +2 and +3 levels, and a merchant in the depths asks for coins to sell his stuff.
I know, but I have my 4 amulets already upgraded and I already got the only one interesting to me the merchant offer. So, I have excess of them and I wish some of those extra hard challenge rewarded something else like "heart quarter pieces" or whatever they called them...

Seriously, is it just me who feel I don't get enough coins? There are so many things I want to buy/upgrade, but I have so few coins I have to be picky with what I choose.

I change you some for the material needed for the weapon upgrades. My bow is still at level 2 because I went all in on the swords.

You're right, I think it's just that the last couple Metroidvanias I've played (Blasphemous 2 and Afterimage) are a lot more open than most and let you explore a lot more 'in advance' so to speak before you find the necessary upgrades to actually move on with the plot. So those were more on my mind. Not that PoP is bad about that - it's just a bit more focused. It doesn't quite give me the 'go get lost in the world' vibes that I really love, but it's still excellent. I already can't wait to go poke around at all the edges of the map with my shiny new upgrade.

Nothing like getting to the end of the final phase of the final boss (that is pretty cheap tbh) and having the game bug out on it so I have to restart from scratch :v

Finished with 86% at ~50 hours, though that number is probably somewhat inflated because I just keep my Switch in sleep mode and don't quit out of the game :')

Final boss felt more like fighting the game though, given it actually glitched out a couple times with me either falling through the floor, being stuck behind the barrier or the boss just skipping straight into some attack they just finished, leading to some really frustrating deaths for me. I suppose triggering your cutscene attack while the boss is about to launch his own messes up some logic (on a side note, Bahamut's Rage is awesome against the final boss, takes out a good chunk of their health on normal). Also... thinking about it, it almost felt like a callback to the final boss of The Two Thrones.

What a great (little) game. Already a strong contender for GOTY or possibly best Metroidvania (depending on if Prime 4 and/or Silksong show up) for me. Have some more thoughts but need to order them first :LOL:

I'm at like...~40% completion I think and I think this game is approaching legendary status for me, personally. Maybe it's just the surprise factor of one of my favorite games of all time reemerging in one of my favorite genres and inexplicably going ham with the combat and traversal.

What has really taken me aback so far has been how creative the power-ups are. I know there is a double jump soon in my future, and that's not exactly a huge surprise, but to this point I've got the ability that lets me store items in the world and fling them around and another one that lets me reserve a place in the world that I can instantly teleport back to. Who the heck thought of these? Is this actually a Ubisoft joint? I'm super impressed. I used that teleport strategically in a boss fight and about fell off of my couch in excitement.

I'm at like...~40% completion I think and I think this game is approaching legendary status for me, personally. Maybe it's just the surprise factor of one of my favorite games of all time reemerging in one of my favorite genres and inexplicably going ham with the combat and traversal.

What has really taken me aback so far has been how creative the power-ups are. I know there is a double jump soon in my future, and that's not exactly a huge surprise, but to this point I've got the ability that lets me store items in the world and fling them around and another one that lets me reserve a place in the world that I can instantly teleport back to. Who the heck thought of these? Is this actually a Ubisoft joint? I'm super impressed. I used that teleport strategically in a boss fight and about fell off of my couch in excitement.
The freshness of the abilities is a big factor in what makes the game great, combined with just how good it feels to platform and do all the acrobatic challenges - they sometimes look completely absurd and overboard, but your movement and control is so well-tuned that even the tough ones feel like you can get them with just a bit of practice.

Related: Holy crap the Xerxes coin at the top of the Tower Knowledge is rough to get (in the large room where you have to use the rune blocks as platforms with two coins in the room, one at the lower right and one near the top right). Easily the hardest platform challenge I've done yet.

I got the clairvoyance ability last night and am ready to go in the pit of sands, game is still awesome at 10 hours in. Those puzzles where you had to make timed copies of yourself were cool, the last one was totally devious and I'm still not sure I solved it in the game's intended way, lol.

The freshness of the abilities is a big factor in what makes the game great, combined with just how good it feels to platform and do all the acrobatic challenges - they sometimes look completely absurd and overboard, but your movement and control is so well-tuned that even the tough ones feel like you can get them with just a bit of practice.

Related: Holy crap the Xerxes coin at the top of the Tower Knowledge is rough to get (in the large room where you have to use the rune blocks as platforms with two coins in the room, one at the lower right and one near the top right). Easily the hardest platform challenge I've done yet.

Your a better man than me. I worked on those for about 20 minutes and said the hell with this. As I have gotten older, I weigh out challenge with frustration. If something drifts to far into the frustration zone, and I do not need to complete it in order to progress the game, I just move along. Its supposed to be fun first and foremost. I remember in Rayman Legends (a game I adore), the game has some late game levels that become vertical precision wall jumping nightmares, and after numerous attempts and the desire to smash my controller, I moved along and never looked back.

Your a better man than me. I worked on those for about 20 minutes and said the hell with this. As I have gotten older, I weigh out challenge with frustration. If something drifts to far into the frustration zone, and I do not need to complete it in order to progress the game, I just move along. Its supposed to be fun first and foremost. I remember in Rayman Legends (a game I adore), the game has some late game levels that become vertical precision wall jumping nightmares, and after numerous attempts and the desire to smash my controller, I moved along and never looked back.
I wish I could've just moved along and never look back :LOL:

I wanted to give up like three times after dying like a million times... but everytime I tried, it just kept gnawing at me... I just had to find out what was on the other side of that damn parcour!

Okay, in a game with mostly excellent boss fights the fight against Menolias fucking sucks. I figured out a way to do it okay and managed to beat him, but I did not enjoy that at all.

Is there an easy mode in this game? And if so, how difficult is it?

Asking for someone who got terminally stuck in both Hollow Knight (already at the Hornet fight) and Metroid Dread even at the lowest difficulty - me.

Asking for someone who got terminally stuck in both Hollow Knight (already at the Hornet fight) and Metroid Dread even at the lowest difficulty - me.
There is an easy-mode preset but you can also adjust stuff like parry timing, enemy health and damage to your liking (even make them lower than the rookie preset)! There's also a platforming assist that lets you skip the story relevant platforming sections.

GamesDoneQuick is currently hosting an interview with two developers of the game, after that there's also an any% speedrun race on their channel!

Last edited:
Okay, in a game with mostly excellent boss fights the fight against Menolias fucking sucks. I figured out a way to do it okay and managed to beat him, but I did not enjoy that at all.
I'm seeing a lot of complaints against this fight and I'm still not exactly sure why. Felt like a mostly normal fight for this game (as in it was excellent)

It's the only major boss you can air combo so it gets major points for that

I'm seeing a lot of complaints against this fight and I'm still not exactly sure why. Felt like a mostly normal fight for this game (as in it was excellent)

It's the only major boss you can air combo so it gets major points for that
At least for me it's for several reasons: The biggest one being that he's so stupidly fast and is constantly running away from you that it feels like you almost never get the chance to actually hit him. And then half the time that you dash in and start a sword swing when he looks open, he last-second does that obnoxious "yellow counter-attack bubble" move and there's almost no way to avoid connecting and triggering it. He also seems to do a higher amount of damage than you would expect with his beam arrows and such, and he can ping-pong you pretty hard sometimes especially if the scattered yellow orb mines are out. Also I didn't seem to find pretty much any attacks that could be parried, and there's no 'yellow' attack that you can parry and lead into big damage like most other bosses have.

Combine all this with the overly-long 'rain of magic arrows' attack he does after a cutscene around 3/4 health and it feels like the fight is just a whole lot of dodging and doing nothing while you try to find a chance to hit him. For me, the only way I was able to beat him was basically stand on one side of the arena and just dodge everything he did over and over again until I finally got a slim change to maybe do some damage. It's long, it's slow, and it's incredibly boring and frustrating. Just an extremely un-fun fight.

He's also the most deaths I've had to a boss by a large margin. Every other boss in the game (I just got to the Tower of Silence) I've died less than five times, and I'm pretty sure he killed me more like 10-15 (playing on Hero difficulty)

Found him annoying because of all the crap on the screen and the counter (that is pretty hard to avoid) packing a mean punch. Though yeah, air combo and the shadow ability make him more manageable. I still vastly prefer him over the bullshit that is any of the Vahram fights.

Found him annoying because of all the crap on the screen and the counter (that is pretty hard to avoid) packing a mean punch. Though yeah, air combo and the shadow ability make him more manageable. I still vastly prefer him over the bullshit that is any of the Vahram fights.
Really? The fight against Vahram that I did almost immediately after him I really enjoyed and had a good time with. The time shenanigans he does can screw with you a bit but it feels way more fair once you get a handle on what he's actually doing.

So far the only boss I haven't liked is Menolias, all the others have been good to incredible. The standouts for me being The Forest Queen (Kiana? I think?) and Azhdaha

Really? The fight against Vahram that I did almost immediately after him I really enjoyed and had a good time with. The time shenanigans he does can screw with you a bit but it feels way more fair once you get a handle on what he's actually doing.

So far the only boss I haven't liked is Menolias, all the others have been good to incredible. The standouts for me being The Forest Queen (Kiana? I think?) and Azhdaha
I jsut really struggle with fast bosses 😅 Also the constant fake-teleporting and his "find the gap".ultimate are too much for me. I prefer slower bosses where I have enough time to react xD Also yes, both Azdaha and Kiana are really cool boss fights, once you get the hang of them.

Haha I just got to this one today and tried once. He’s fine until he goes all super saiyan once you get 1/4 of his health down, then he just moves so quick and nothing seems parry-able? Then you finally get in close and he does that yellow charge thing last minute and blasts you for three health bars. I was at the end of a play session so only gave it one attempt, seems like it will be a rough one. Though the snake gave me issues until I figured out proper timing and tuned my amulets and abilities towards countering her, then I dominated. So I’ll see what I can do there.

At least for me it's for several reasons: The biggest one being that he's so stupidly fast and is constantly running away from you that it feels like you almost never get the chance to actually hit him. And then half the time that you dash in and start a sword swing when he looks open, he last-second does that obnoxious "yellow counter-attack bubble" move and there's almost no way to avoid connecting and triggering it. He also seems to do a higher amount of damage than you would expect with his beam arrows and such, and he can ping-pong you pretty hard sometimes especially if the scattered yellow orb mines are out. Also I didn't seem to find pretty much any attacks that could be parried, and there's no 'yellow' attack that you can parry and lead into big damage like most other bosses have.

Combine all this with the overly-long 'rain of magic arrows' attack he does after a cutscene around 3/4 health and it feels like the fight is just a whole lot of dodging and doing nothing while you try to find a chance to hit him. For me, the only way I was able to beat him was basically stand on one side of the arena and just dodge everything he did over and over again until I finally got a slim change to maybe do some damage. It's long, it's slow, and it's incredibly boring and frustrating. Just an extremely un-fun fight.

He's also the most deaths I've had to a boss by a large margin. Every other boss in the game (I just got to the Tower of Silence) I've died less than five times, and I'm pretty sure he killed me more like 10-15 (playing on Hero difficulty)
Hm so there is one parryable attack that makes the fight easier, which his spread arrow attack. Reflecting those typically staggers him and opens him up to a combo. Which also prevents him from countering since he's already staggered.

Then besides that it was just a matter of clearing up his orbs with the chakram and arrows whenever they showed up. The rest of his attacks are pretty easy to dodge if the orbs aren't out

The arrow rain was the only real thing that annoyed me but that's a standard Metroidvania boss bullet hell move for the most part

Haha I just got to this one today and tried once. He’s fine until he goes all super saiyan once you get 1/4 of his health down, then he just moves so quick and nothing seems parry-able? Then you finally get in close and he does that yellow charge thing last minute and blasts you for three health bars. I was at the end of a play session so only gave it one attempt, seems like it will be a rough one. Though the snake gave me issues until I figured out proper timing and tuned my amulets and abilities towards countering her, then I dominated. So I’ll see what I can do there.
OK maybe this needs to be a general PSA tip for this boss

You can parry the arrow spread

Last edited:
Glad to see they finally got a real voice for Kalux.

Hopefully they eventually patch in the

Radjen fight that very clearly got cut.

I'd say that the difficulty options is excellent in this game. You can change them at any time (I've changed them once temporarily to bypass a boss battle), and you can fine-tune them if there is something in particular you have difficulty with. And the opposite of course applies,if you want some particular aspect more challenging than the rest.

I think you can play around with the difficulty settings in the demo as well.

Wow, yeah that alone would make a massive difference. I guess it didn't even register to me since it's a ranged attack.
Yeah it doesn't do the cinematic counter but it's a pretty big opening to get damage in nonetheless

Finished the game, 97%, 26 hours!

(Would’ve been 100% except I got the Pirate Captain quest bug. Maybe if they patch it eventually I’ll go finish it off).

Fantastic game - one of the best Metroidvanias I’ve played in a while. It loses a bit of steam close to the end and I have some quibbles here and there, but overall it was excellent and did an amazing job of taking the classic Prince of Persia style and gameplay and molding it into a metroidvania. It takes the crown (heh) for one or two of my favorite bosses so far this year, and even though it’s early they’ll be strong contenders.

It doesn’t hit the heights of games like Hollow Knight or some of the absolute classics, but it’s knocking on the door. I’d give it a 9/10.

I'd say that the difficulty options is excellent in this game. You can change them at any time (I've changed them once temporarily to bypass a boss battle), and you can fine-tune them if there is something in particular you have difficulty with. And the opposite of course applies,if you want some particular aspect more challenging than the rest.

I think you can play around with the difficulty settings in the demo as well.
There is an easy-mode preset but you can also adjust stuff like parry timing, enemy health and damage to your liking (even make them lower than the rookie preset)! There's also a platforming assist that lets you skip the story relevant platforming sections.
Ok I'm sold.

Ok I'm sold.
Some tips:
1. Use Persian as the spoken language and then use subtitles of your choice.
2. Don't skip the cut scenes, even though there are a lot of talk and little action in the starting hours of the game. However, the talking parts of the game decrease organically after a while, and keeping track of the characters is almost mandatory to get the plot twists that happen later in the game.
3. Don't be afraid to temporarily alter the difficulty if you get stuck or if you feel that some sections gets too easy to return to when you get overpowered. AFAIK, there are no penalty for selecting a certain skill level.

I managed to beat the game last night, 70% completion at almost exactly 22 hours. I really enjoyed it and hope that this game was successful for Ubisoft and that they make more stuff like this. I liked that there were a bunch of creative powers that weren't all just the typical affair. Also, the bosses were all enjoyable and fell into that range where they will kick your butt and feel impossible the first 5-10 times, and then it clicks and you beat them with barely getting hit.

Hm so there is one parryable attack that makes the fight easier, which his spread arrow attack. Reflecting those typically staggers him and opens him up to a combo. Which also prevents him from countering since he's already staggered.

Then besides that it was just a matter of clearing up his orbs with the chakram and arrows whenever they showed up. The rest of his attacks are pretty easy to dodge if the orbs aren't out

The arrow rain was the only real thing that annoyed me but that's a standard Metroidvania boss bullet hell move for the most part

OK maybe this needs to be a general PSA tip for this boss

You can parry the arrow spread

Yeah I smoked him on my second try in the morning. Basically just played a lot more aggressive and always went for the air combo. You can also grab those orbs with the dimension rift and throw at him which will stagger him for half a second, for some combos in doing that too.

As tired as it sounds, being aggressive and not just waiting for an opportunity seems to be a good strategy against all bosses, maybe with the exception of the final one. 😅

Been enjoying the game so far, I do like the fact that you can customize some aspect of the difficulty, such as the enemies being a bit too tanky if you use higher difficulty modes. Right now smaller/simpler mobs take a few hits to kill while other trickier/bigger ones are more of a challenge which improves the pacing imo.

Platforming feels good and responsive while the combat is enjoyable. Ubisoft Montpellier, alongside Milan, continues to be my favorite team in the whole company with their portfolio (Rayman Origins, Legends and now this). And just like Ubisoft Milan, I'd be really interested into a collaborative project to work on one of Nintendo IPs.

For the boss fight
Menolias
The trick is to use clones. always create a clone in the opposite side of the arena where the boss is when he runs away just teleport. This trick can be used in a lot of boss fights or to get some hits in or to get away from a red AOE attack

Finish the game with 96%, probably won't have the patience to get the missing stuff (I finished all the side quests). The biggest problem with the game is the reward system. I think removing a lot of items from the store and putting them on the map would be a lot better. So instead of opening 30 chests with crystals in, maybe those chests would have extra arrows, or better potions potency. I have so many xerces coins simple because I only upgrade the amulets I use and kept using the same for most of the game

Beat it yesterday -

76% at around 21hrs, I will go back to obtaing more stuff later on but need a break for now.
This was helluva great game - I wouldnt be surprised if it's in the top 5 at the end of the year for me.

I thought the world map was huge. Then a creature in the depth showed me 4
constellation
locations to visit. I obviously haven't seen that much yet!

I noticed that there was a new patch update for the Switch version today. Anyone knows what's in it? It is safe to start the pirate bird quest now?

Fantastic game, loved how creative the powers are. Shows theres still a lot of juice in the metroidvania genre- made me hope the Dread followup plays around more with its powerups

Back
Top Bottom