• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Possible New PlayStation Handheld in the works

Probably not real given the source. As cool as it would be, a new dedicated PlayStation handheld gaming device with its own library is dead on arrival.

Isn't this what the portal was supposed to be?

The Portal only streams games, it doesn't play them natively. It's useless anywhere without stable and fast internet. I enjoy mine since I have fast internet and can play PS5 games in bed, but it's no replacement for a real handheld system.

Maybe I should put a warning next time that it’s from an unreliable source?

I presume you weren't aware of the source as it's wccftech parroting it as valid or legitimate. It's quite a difficult problem in tech news as pretty much anyone with enough traction (e.g. MLID has quite a few subscribers and iirc his videos do show up prominent in the YT algo).
I wouldn't fault you for being unaware as the responsibility lies with wccftech.

Honestly, now you know I guess 😅

Maybe I should put a warning next time that it’s from an unreliable source?
I mean it's all speculation at this point, even if it's from an unreliable source. I am sure Sony has thought about it at one point or another but I feel like a ps5 handheld in 2 years would be very costly. I don't believe one is in the works right now.

3DS did better than Vita by sheer virtue of having Nintendo's name on it; both of them were rotting with the rise of mobile smart devices having more power than both.

If Sony wants to re-enter the handheld space again, they're better suited to keep porting their games to Steam to be Deck compatible. Maybe work with Steam to integrate the Portal with the Deck (although last time Sony paired with a console maker...was Nintendo 🙃), but their own dedicated hardware I can't imagine having a great big audience when their whole shtick is more pixels, more power.

Sounds interesting, its going to be how Sony integrates the portable into their lineup if the rumor is real.

If it's more like a Switch Portable to Docked mindset. But instead you have PSP3 for on-the-go and a PS4/PS5 for Console home gameplay. Like playing your library on the go with the PSP3 with reduced framerates, resolution, etc. (just like experienced with Switch in handheld mode), then go home and use Cloud Saves to boot up your digital game on the console to continue seamlessly. So a step-up from what the Portal is. I could see it having some success. Also will be important the media format for the device. If it's going to be digital only, all the disc-only PS5 players will be locked out of playing their library in handheld unless they stream it, or Sony finds a way to give those disc-players access, or the disc players purchase additional digital copies for the PSP3.

Wonder if this is them thinking of replacing the PSVR2 'Pillar' back with the Handheld 'Pillar' after seeing the VR pillar lose its momentum and the latter seeing a revitalization with all the PC Portables, Switch and Steam Deck. I personally don't see them making separate software, but take the Nintendo approach and ask developers to incorporate a lower spec profile that can run on their portable line. Like how MS does with the Series S and Series X.

Personally, I loved my PSP and PS Vita just like my DS and 3DS. The only real downside to me was the available games in the States (either imported a bunch of Japan games or bought them on trips while over there).

Last edited:
I think it's fun to imagine a new Sony handheld system - but at this point, it ought to be patently clear this is unlikely to ever happen. The current PlayStation leadership doesn't see their future in handheld systems and they have no studios to handle the sort of smaller-scale games that would work on such a system, something that Nintendo and their studios (and affiliates) are actually capable of delivering on.

Lets be real a Sony "PC portable" would sell a lot more than those other kinds of devices, just because Sony would get it stocked more widely at all retailers.
No they wouldn't - for one, Sony has left computers behind a decade ago (their VAIO line is now its own separate company) and for two, Asus and Lenovo are already two commonly-stocked computer manufacturers with devices that fit into the "PC portable" mould with the ROG Ally and Legion Go respectively.

I think it's fun to imagine a new Sony handheld system - but at this point, it ought to be patently clear this is unlikely to ever happen. The current PlayStation leadership doesn't see their future in handheld systems and they have no studios to handle the sort of smaller-scale games that would work on such a system, something that Nintendo and their studios (and affiliates) are actually capable of delivering on.
See I agree with you that this has been the case for the past few years and remains the case currently, but as I said earlier in the thread, if we do get to the point where handhelds are capable of running, let's say, 90% of all current gen games then I think they could change their tune quickly. Sony have been able to maintain their strategy thanks to the hardware gap between consoles and handhelds, but if that gap shrinks to the point of insignificance then Sony would be shackled with a console that can only be played via a TV while Nintendo and Steam would be able to brag about being able to play the same library anywhere.

And I don't think the 'smaller scale' argument holds up in the way it did during the 3DS/Vita era. Nintendo are basically producing console level games for what is, to all intents and purposes, a handheld. There's nothing really that could stop Sony doing the same and producing games for both console and handheld if the tech continues to improve.

I don't see Sony making a new handheld with it's own software library. It would have to be some kind of portable ps4/ps5 and I don't know why they'd bother with that after just releasing the portal.

I don't see Sony making a new handheld with it's own software library. It would have to be some kind of portable ps4/ps5 and I don't know why they'd bother with that after just releasing the portal.

My conclusion.

Now if they were looking to do this for the PS6 or something then maybe...but anyone who bought a PS Portal probably got suckered lol.

My conclusion.

Now if they were looking to do this for the PS6 or something then maybe...but anyone who bought a PS Portal probably got suckered lol.
No probably, you got suckered if you bought the PS Portal, regardless of if this rumor pans out.

Back
Top Bottom