• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Possible New PlayStation Handheld in the works

MilkyChance

Cappy
Pronouns
they/them
Yay! More competition is always good. Now they need to actually support it if they release it. My PSVR2 is collecting dust.

I wonder if they released a new handheld would they then stop releasing games on PC?

Also, this seems odd having just released the Portal, why have one device for streaming when they could have allowed streaming via this (If it’s true of course)

Here's hoping they don't botch it like the Vita this time.

That was an amazing handheld, just hamstrung by bad decision after bad decision. Still very much worthwhile as a second hand device, but good lord did Sony attempt everything to make it fail after the 3DS chew through the initial launch sales.

I wonder if they released a new handheld would they then stop releasing games on PC?

Also, this seems odd having just released the Portal, why have one device for streaming when they could have allowed streaming via this (If it’s true of course)
From the article, stated from Moore’s Law is Dead, the handheld is possibly 2 years away from release.

If it plays games natively and isn’t just a streaming device, making it a true Vita successor… I’m in.

I think the new PS portable could be what Nintendo had originally envisioned for their home and handheld consoles development: a streamlined and unified process where the same game could be easily developed for both platforms. Maybe itll just be the same games as the home console release, perhaps some portable exclusives here and there

If this is true, Sony saw the growing popularity of PC Handhelds, they would want to take advantage of the market, as well as take on Nintendo with the Switch and REDACTED.
very nice, I always like it when another one of the big three tackle handheld gaming.

I kind of figured the only way Sony might get a portable going again would be to have a sort of "Series S" version of a beefy home machine, so it wouldn't split resources/output as much as a Vita did.

Because one thing can be done quick, and the others years off if ever.

Looks at source:

giphy.gif

If it's a device that plays PS4 / PS5 games or ports, it could find a lot of success. We already know that a Sony handheld can't survive if it needs its own original games.

Personally, I'm done with handhelds, so not interested. But competition is good.

Also, to those rubbishing the source... how about some info for those of us who have never heard of Moore's Law is Dead?

After how they've been the past few years, and how they supported the Vita, no thanks. You've burned that bridge Sony.

They can't even reliably support PSVR2, how could anyone think they'd be able to support a third platform?

It also can't survive on PS4/5 ports, because unlike back in the 3DS vs Vita times, Nintendo actually offers a system that is viable for such ports too, on top of their own mega IPs.

2 years from now... How would this thing fit into market?

Even IF Nintendo doesn't launch a new Switch in 2024, waiting until 2025 (unlikely), they would still have over a year of releases on their platform as an advantage and not only that, but a bunch of PS4/PS5 ports that did not make it to the Switch 1 due to power constraints could come over within the first 1-2 years of Switch 2.

Considering retrocompatibility and a chunk of PS4 games + Nintendo exclusives (old and new), team red would have a huge advantage over team blue imo.

This kinda reminds me of the 3ds vs vita situation:
3ds released nearly a year earlier than the vita, the vita clearly had more power but it failed to deliver in software.
But if a vita 2 has seamless retrocompatibility with digital ps4 games, this would make the whole software issue irrelevant at launch.

Now, the thing is the new kid on the block: steam deck.
For the sake of simplicity, I will focus on the deck and ignore the other competing pc-handhelds.

Deck 2 is set to release around the same time. And if sony manages a pricing of around 400-500$ on a vita 2 with that rumored hardware, valve could do something similar in terms of performance. But with the advantage of being a pc, with a MUCH larger library (and steam at that).

We KNOW that playstation users would likely still pick the vita 2 over a deck/deck 2 just because well, PS is where their library is, it's where their achievements are, etc... But consider this: the deck has been out for a couple of years now, it gave PS fans who were yearning for a vita 2 pretty much what they wanted (except it wasn't from sony). Now, how many of these people are now on valve's platform, with their libraries and achievements built somewhat?

Ofc, I like to believe that more than half the steam deck users were people who already came from pc, but needed something portable (it all makes sense when we consider the fact gamers tend to stick to the platform where their library is - case in point: one of the reasons why xbox is failing so hard to grab the market).

But if the number of deck adoptions continues to grow, even IF it doesn't pass the (quite miserable) ~10mi units sold mark until a new model comes around, I believe we would have an ACTUAL competition going on between both.

But I tend to believe that competition would be kinda one-sided towards the deck if sony keeps on publishing their games on pc. I mean, they could add support for PSP and vita 1 retrocompat. on vita 2 through emulated remastered ports. But what are the odds that EVEN IF they do so, it turns out enticing enough? I mean, have we not seen the disappointment that was the retro library on ps5? the fact they could've brought ps3 support as the ps5 could EASILY emulate it but they still didn't? well, a deck 2 could do all of that and much more, just saying...

Come 2026, people would be met with 3 options:
  • pick a switch 2, for nintendo exclusives, pretty good japanese games support, many titles that are on pc and a chunk of the ps4/ps5 library
  • pick a deck 2, for the ability to play ps4/ps5 titles published on pc, pc-exclusives and the ability to emulate pretty much anything
  • pick a vita 2, for well... playing ps4 games portably (which the competition also does, mostly) and some ps5 games. but being locked down to a platform that wouldn't let you do anything else

For the few who had a ps4/ps4 pro but didn't eventually buy a ps5 or the upcoming ps5 pro, the vita 2 would make more sense (if they had a considerable digital library). For the ones who only have a ps5, it would still make sense (again, as long as they have a decent enough digital library).
But for people with most of their library on pc or nintendo switch/switch 2, it wouldn't make sense to get a vita 2, regardless of power.

Idk how the split of digital vs physical is on playstation, but I believe it tends to be digital >>> physical. Even then, those with physical libraries many times still own a decent enough amount of digital games.

TL;DR: I think the vita 2 would struggle a bit, but definitely do better than the vita 1 (IF sony plays their cards right and brings ps4/ps5 games).

I really doubt it

Sony's studios are already having some issues getting out more than one big game a year just for PS5
Seeing as PSVR support is already almost dead a year after launch, if they added a handheld into the mix, I can't see how it doesn't end up with an absolute dearth of 1st party support, which is a big factor in what killed the Vita; making smaller non-AAA games for a handheld just isn't really SIE's MO these days

Maybe if Japan Studio was still around they could have pivoted to being a bespoke handheld games studio and seen that it gets adequate support, but that ship's sailed and I don't really see the likes of (for example) Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, or Sucker-Punch having the bandwidth to add "make Vita 2 games" to their pipelines on top of these huge 5-year-minimum multi-million dollar projects

I think the new PS portable could be what Nintendo had originally envisioned for their home and handheld consoles development: a streamlined and unified process where the same game could be easily developed for both platforms. Maybe itll just be the same games as the home console release, perhaps some portable exclusives here and there
I thought exactly the same thing. PC gamers have always been accustomed to games that adapt to different configurations, Switch players "switch" from portable to docked mode , Xbox players can access GamePass on different types of device. It's only logical that Sony should get involved.

This doesn't even qualify as a rumour, never mind news.

It's just pulled from someone's backside and they're probably just hedging their bets.

MLiD being the source means even if this comes true, I won't believe he actually knew about it.

That said, a portable that has compatibility with all PS4 games as well as certain patched/whitelisted PS5 games (lower resolution and other settings for all but the simplest games) would be highly interesting to me, partially because of the inverse: third party games developed targeting the portable, with boost mode enabled on PS5. Think of how games like ResiEvil Revelations and Monster Hunter Rise were later ported to more powerful consoles for what I'm imagining, except it would be available day one.

I really just want any excuse for JPN developers to make more AA gaiden games. We got a lot of them back in the PSP days.

Would probably be something like a ROG Ally/Steam Deck that can handle PC/PS5 ports except with whatever tech is there 2-3 years from now if true, not so much a "PSP" with a distinct library. That sort of thing doesn't work any more (can't divide your dev resources as games cost too much to make and take too long to complete).

I would be very surprised if Sony went down this road again. The PS Vita was a nice piece of hardware, but it flopped. By the time this product were to make it to market, Nintendo will have had the SNG out for a couple of years and will have a big market share advantage. Nintendo is hard to beat in this arena because they have the entirety of their software support backing up this one single platform. Sony could start forcing their internal developers to support this lower spec portable, but that will have consequences on development. Sony has had incredible success with their home consoles and the portable market has been an uphill battle for them. Sony couldn't compete with the 3DS, a system that was severely underpowered compared to the Vita, but this was when Nintendo had its development resources split between Wii U and 3DS.

I do not think the portable PC market has any influence over what Sony would want to do. Steam Deck is by far the most successful of these portable PC's, but even that device sits at around 5 million sold in two years. If you combined all these portable PC sales, it probably isn't over 10 million units sold. On top of that, this segment of the gaming population that buys something like Steam Deck is probably vested into their Steam library, so Sony coming out with a portable isnt likely to attract many of those gamers because it means entering a brand new ecosystem of games.

I would be very surprised if Sony went down this road again. The PS Vita was a nice piece of hardware, but it flopped. By the time this product were to make it to market, Nintendo will have had the SNG out for a couple of years and will have a big market share advantage. Nintendo is hard to beat in this arena because they have the entirety of their software support backing up this one single platform. Sony could start forcing their internal developers to support this lower spec portable, but that will have consequences on development. Sony has had incredible success with their home consoles and the portable market has been an uphill battle for them. Sony couldn't compete with the 3DS, a system that was severely underpowered compared to the Vita, but this was when Nintendo had its development resources split between Wii U and 3DS.

I do not think the portable PC market has any influence over what Sony would want to do. Steam Deck is by far the most successful of these portable PC's, but even that device sits at around 5 million sold in two years. If you combined all these portable PC sales, it probably isn't over 10 million units sold. On top of that, this segment of the gaming population that buys something like Steam Deck is probably vested into their Steam library, so Sony coming out with a portable isnt likely to attract many of those gamers because it means entering a brand new ecosystem of games.

Lets be real a Sony "PC portable" would sell a lot more than those other kinds of devices, just because Sony would get it stocked more widely at all retailers.

It had been a while we hadn't heard about a new Sony handheld that could run their current home console software.

Sony launching a new PS handheld is as likely as Nintendo merging its console and handheld devision. Wait…

Last edited:
Obviously the source is suspect but in general it makes sense for Sony to try another portable console. They are currently dominating the home console market just like they were with the PS2 when they announced the PSP and going portable is the most obvious area for them to try to continue expanding. Nintendo being unexpectedly slow with announcing their next handheld/hybrid/switch-2 and the big boom in the handheld PC market has probably indicated to Sony that there is absolutely a market for people being willing to buy a PlayStation handheld with capabilities somewhere between PS4 and PS5. Certain third parties are probably even planning on it, particularly Rockstar.

Will it outsell the Switch 2, probably not, but it probably doesn’t need to for Sony to consider it a success. It just needs to not outright flop like the Vita did. PSP didn’t outsell the DS but it still sold 88 million copies.

Lets be real a Sony "PC portable" would sell a lot more than those other kinds of devices, just because Sony would get it stocked more widely at all retailers.
Also because certain third parties would not hesitate to port PS5 games to the thing as well as even make new titles for it. Square, Rockstar, and From Soft would almost immediately support the thing.

And if Sony did manage to make it digitally backwards compatible with the entire PS4 library then that will be a big upside as well.

I don't know if this makes much sense, and the source isn't great anyways.

Also with how crazy well the Portal is selling, you gotta wonder if they'd rather just focus on that side of handheld gaming instead. It'd be interesting to know how often handheld gamers choose to even play outside of their homes anyways.

While the veracity of this source is suspect, you can't help but wonder if the time is coming for this to be a viable option for Sony. If the Switch 2 does come with the capability to run a lot of current gen games thanks to DLSS, then it's going to make it a very appealing option to many gamers. Imagine being able to play EA FC or COD or Elden Ring on the go without major graphical compromises. Sony have been able to largely ignore Nintendo and the handheld market since Vita because they've cornered off the high-end console market, but if Nintendo start encroaching and threatening this territory, you can't help but wonder if Sony will be tempted to respond in kind.

18 CU, 1.8 GHz 🤔

Again I don't think much of this rumour/speculation.
If someone were to want to assess the validity or feasibility of whether it's even remotely possible, I think there's hardware out there, that can already be used to estimate what power/efficiency leap would be required.

Looking at AMD's current portfolio on the market w.r.t. Mobile phones and Handhelds (ignoring the CPU)

SoCmuArchGPU CUMax Clock Speedmax TDPProcess nodeMemory bandwidth
Exynos 2200RDNA261.3 GHz (theoretical)12W (peak)Samsung 4nm LPE51.2GB/s
Exynos 2400RDNA36~1.1 GHz (?)?Samsung 4nm LPP+68.2GB/s (?)
Steam Deck (Aerith)RDNA281.6 GHz15WTSMC 7nm88.8GB/s
Z1 ExtremeRDNA3122.7 GHz30WTSMC 4nm120GB/s (Lenovo Legion Go)

From those above SoCs we know through testing their relative scaling, we know that despite the Z1E being on the latest process node, it does not perform as well in the 9-15W TDP range as the Steam Deck.
Geekerwan did some investigation with the Exynos 2200 and 660M (12CU - TSMC 6nm), where it obviously can be asserted that there are more variables at play than CU count alone (process node, memory bandwidth etc.), but still can PS5 titles be within the scope 🤔 .

The lowest desktop GPU that can be compared with this portable device is the 6500 XT (16 CUs), obviously at a lot higher TDP and doing some sort of 1 to 1 match is hard, but maybe through some tuning and setting it at a normalized frequency such as 1.5 GHz could provide some interesting results 🤔 .

We've seen through multiple tests online how the Steam Deck and Z1E perform with modern titles, especially Sony's first party exclusives (Spider-Man, Rift apart, HZD, TLOU PT1, Helldivers 2, Returnal, Uncharted, Sackboy, Days gone).
So there are quite some titles to estimate where the power/efficiency of this portable would have to lie. RDNA3 is not really the leap that provides this, and RDNA4 just has a lot of question marks around it.

I have the impression that Sony doing this a lot. Building on nintendo's success.

But how are they going to handle this if true. I hear already complains about the qmount of first party titles available with ps5. Unless it plays ps5 games downgraded games.

I have the impression that Sony doing this a lot. Building on nintendo's success.

But how are they going to handle this if true. I hear already complains about the qmount of first party titles available with ps5. Unless it plays ps5 games downgraded games.
Prepare for The Last of Us Part I Remake Remastered Portable Edition

The source seems dubious, but I could see it happening around the PS6 launch. Honestly backwards compatibility with the PS4 alone would make for a great handheld.

The coolest thing Sony could do with the PS6 is do a Series S/X split - but have the weaker console be a hybrid handheld that has full backwards compatability with PS4/PS5 games. There's no way Sony is ever going to make a handheld that has its own library ever again. And I think Nintendo has already shown them the blueprint of a successful handheld: which is consolidate all game development into one umbrella. Developers are already making games for multiple profiles of consoles, so I think this could totally work out.

Mobile tech is advancing fast that it could probably be possible by the late 2020s.

My first thought is that I wouldn't buy it. I've never been one to play video games outside of home.

Back
Top Bottom