• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Pokémon Presents Scheduled for February 27 2024 at 6am PST

Could have been an experiment. I honestly don't get the hype with Legends. What's so exciting about having Pokemon games set in the past with empty areas and 1 town?

It's the game that best captures the feeling of exploring a wild environment and discovering Pokémon in their natural habitat, by far. It's what a lot of us dreamed about as kids when playing the game boy games, but the appeal will vary depending on what you play Pokémon for.

Could have been an experiment. I honestly don't get the hype with Legends. What's so exciting about having Pokemon games set in the past with empty areas and 1 town?
We are talking about the same franchise where your average town is 4 buildings with nothing to do inside of other than some NPC saying I LOVE MY CLEFAIRY IT SMELLS LIKE BLUEBERRIES (Legends singular town easily had more to do in it than entire towns of other generations combined) and the wilderness are areas where you find Pokemon to capture and items to collect, which is... Legends's gameplay loop too. Legends offers a lot of what Pokemon fans already like about the main games too.

Fine with ILCA remakes of B&W if they change the artstyle up. Significantly.

twist: Pokemon are upset about Palworld not because of the copyright infringement or AI, but because they had a third party dev making a CoD-like set in Unova with Pokemon.
d11g1vb-0b9f613a-fee7-4863-ba30-ab45e10d8a16.jpg

Thank god I'm going to be occupied Tuesday, cause the Internet is going to be covered in Hellfire over the Presents and I don't know if I can take such concentrated levels of negativity

Why isn’t Pyoro considered to have Nate’s type of sources? Everyone be wondering how Pyoro sources hasn’t been caught. Do you ever ask yourself why Nate’s sources for all these years haven’t been caught?

”Outsourced to whom?” and “How long did you give them?” are, I feel, the most important questions if we settle on it being an outsourced Gen V remake, for example. I just don’t see that project being anything but mind-numbingly mediocre. My expectation that they would learn anything from last time just isn’t there.

Why isn’t Pyoro considered to have Nate’s type of sources? Everyone be wondering how Pyoro sources hasn’t been caught. Do you ever ask yourself why Nate’s sources for all these years haven’t been caught?
So, do you deliver your own mail, or do you have your own mail person? But then who delivers his mail? Is there a never-ending chain of mailmen delivering mail to other mailmen? Well, I guess a P.O. box could in theory break the chain...

Let's Go had a very particular cutesy artstyle where all the character models were slightly shrunken down, perhaps as a callback to the Game Boy artwork.

I don't think that particular aesthetic works for Gen V, I would rather have fully proportioned character models in the overworld and battle.

But I don't mind keeping the 1:1 tileset approach.

At the very least, BDSP remastered DP's soundtrack really well. I love the BW music so even if it's just a rush job like BDSP, the soundtrack should still be good.

Thank god I'm going to be occupied Tuesday, cause the Internet is going to be covered in Hellfire over the Presents and I don't know if I can take such concentrated levels of negativity
If this sort of thing bothers you, I have a few consistent habits to avoid the intense negativity surrounding Pokémon... Like, I have Pokémon (the word) muted on Twitter, I generally limit Pokémon talk to personal friends who I know either are more likely to be positive, or who respect that I don't always want to hear about the negativity. And lastly, I definitely stay away from Pokémon specific threads/spaces on the internet in the weeks surrounding announcements or game releases. All of these things have generally helped me to not see the same level of concentrated anger that I witnessed during the lead up to and release of SwSh, which is when I started adopting these habits.

Manifesting Pokémon Pinball on NSO, it's never been rereleased 🙏🙏🙏

Weirdly, the GBA one made it to the Wii U VC but.the Game Boy one didn't get to 3ds, so that certainly screams some kind of legal issue rather than not trying.

They've also been way more proactive on sorting those troubles out on the switch though, so it's a possibility!

To be blunt I don't think fully 3D remakes of Unova or even Sinnoh were ever going to be in the cards, even if they committed to 0 outsourcing. GF didn't do ORAS on their initiative, it was a response to fan expectations that rose from perceived patterns. More importantly, adapting a 2D sprite-based handheld game to full-3D console game is a Herculean task even for AAA studios with proper resources. You might as well make a new game from scratch from the amount of design work you'd have to put in.

Weirdly, the GBA one made it to the Wii U VC but.the Game Boy one didn't get to 3ds, so that certainly screams some kind of legal issue rather than not trying.

They've also been way more proactive on sorting those troubles out on the switch though, so it's a possibility!

Yeah, my theory is two possibilities:

1- It's because of the Mezase Pokémon Master (the japanese anime opening) remix the game features or
2- It's because rumble is kind of an important part of the game but the 3DS, which was the only system that had GB VC, lacked it. The Switch obviously has rumble so...

To be blunt I don't think fully 3D remakes of Unova or even Sinnoh were ever going to be in the cards, even if they committed to 0 outsourcing. GF didn't do ORAS on their initiative, it was a response to fan expectations that rose from perceived patterns. More importantly, adapting a 2D sprite-based handheld game to full-3D console game is a Herculean task even for AAA studios with proper resources. You might as well make a new game from scratch from the amount of design work you'd have to put in.
That was aways my exact though on the subject. Sinnoh's map was, like, the epitome of the "old way" in complexity and labyrinth-esque layout, which headbutts directly with Sword and Shield's world design methodology, along with requiring a higher amount of brand new assets than Sword Shield needed to have. At that point this has gone from "mid-gen remakes to train our other team" to "just straight up a completely new tentpole release that is going to take more effort than our new gen game" and by that point, like you said, you might as well just do a brand new game with a solid scenario excuse for why it's so different from the original instead of risking making a DP remake that has 1/4 of the content DP had.

not a surprise if the B/W remakes are done by ILCA considering the Gen 4 remakes they made sold unreasonably well, especially in Japan and even outselling Legends worldwide.

EDIT: actually checking on the available sales data it's also the best selling pokemon remake to date

If it is indeed BW remakes, and made by the same folks as BDSP, I cannot wait to see which two mythical Pokemon they randomly give away 10 minutes into the game for having save data from previous games.

ILCA have proven to be fairly competent developers, BDSP being unambitious and underdeveloped is on TPC, so I'll be fine with them handling a gen 5 remake as long as they are actually given the time.
I hope this time it will be an ambitious "reimagining" and not another 1:1, but I'm not too optimistic (also, hopefully this time the artstyle isn't full on chibi, not that I hated it but I'm just tired of the discourse).

Pokemon by Media.Vision!

LFG!
Man, I thought I had a pretty unique and original idea, but I guess not.

ILCA have proven to be fairly competent developers, BDSP being unambitious and underdeveloped is on TPC, so I'll be fine with them handling a gen 5 remake as long as they are actually given the time.
Historically, there’s very little reason to assume they have been given said time, however.

Battle flow in Legends is so much better than the mainline games they might as well be two different series, for one thing.

Honestly I like the gen 5 games so much that I would accept remakes with the same level of ambition as BDSP.

Is Gamefreak outsourcing development of this year's Pokemon title because they are going all in on their Switch 2 devkits for next gen Pokemon already?

BDSP was bad because DP was the worst Pokémon ever and TPC probably didn’t give ILCA enough time to improve it.

Now, after 3 years, I’d be very hyped for a BW (or GS) faithful remake by ILCA.

I think people overreact a bit to a potential ILCA developed remake.

Sure, BDSP was disappointing, but that doesn't mean ILCA can't or won't improve given more time and budget.

I would have absolutely no problem with an outsourced game so long as it means GF are giving themselves more time. Ideally the outsourced game should also be getting a better treatment, like you know, a contract that allows the developers to work on something for more than 2 years and with some level of creative freedom.

Honestly, I'd be content with a BDSP+ so long as we get GF on 4-year rotations. I know many of us would like to see something that looks like this:

Year 1: New Gen (GF)
Year 2: New Gen DLC (GF)
Year 3: Remake/Let's Go(?) (Outsourced)
Year 4: Mid-gen (Past Region Sequel/Prequel/what have you) (GF)
-> REPEAT

Obviously this is still a compromised scenario. We know. That's not the "we'll take more time if it needs it" approach that a publisher like a Nintendo would give to their mainline Zelda or Mario teams, but it sure is a far-cry better than what we have now. Everything can be marketed and sold as mainline. TPC makes money. The third party developer makes money. Game Freak enjoys a more reasonable timeline for their now open-world HD games, and we (likely) get better games in return, at the very least we get something that is relatively bug-free and runs decently. I hope TPC/GF aren't so unbelievably afraid of moving new generations a year back. It doesn't need repeating but people are not gonna forget about Pokémon if new generations come out every 4 instead of every 3 years.

As always hopes and dreams. Pyoro's tweet does make things spicier though that's for sure, and we're getting there. We're so very close to the...

Honestly, if they're going to ruin Gen 5 with remakes like BDSP, I'd rather we didn't get remakes at all

Honestly, if they're going to ruin Gen 5 with remakes like BDSP, I'd rather we didn't get remakes at all
I get that sentiment, especially when the original games aren't available to the wider public and remakes can substitute them in full, but a game that sucks can always be ignored, there's always the next, and most of BDSP's problems (especially outside of the not exactly fantastic chibi artstyle) arguably stemmed from inexperience, time constraints, and creative ones. An ILCA that's not getting the short end of the stick would definitely do a better job a second go around, I think (and hope).

I get that sentiment, especially when the original games aren't available to the wider public and remakes can substitute them in full, but a game that sucks can always be ignored, there's always the next, and most of BDSP's problems (especially outside of the not exactly fantastic chibi artstyle) arguably stemmed from inexperience, time constraints, and creative ones. An ILCA that's not getting the short end of the stick would definitely do a better job a second go around, I think (and hope).
That's true actually. I guess it would at least mean that a new generation of players can enjoy the Gen 5 games (or at least a crappy version of them) for the first time. I just really hope they do it justice.

If it is indeed BW remakes, and made by the same folks as BDSP, I cannot wait to see which two mythical Pokemon they randomly give away 10 minutes into the game for having save data from previous games.
Deoxys if you have SV save
Celebi if you have new Johto game save

At least personally the main problem with BDSP is in its very conception

I don't care how well you do an extremely faithful remake of the originals, I'd rather have something fresh

Personally I really care about games being preserved, and I will support any effort to do that, whether through a port, a remaster, or a faithful remake.

At least personally the main problem with BDSP is in its very conception

I don't care how well you do an extremely faithful remake of the originals, I'd rather have something fresh
I'd rather have something fresh too, that's why I want GF to stop making remakes and continue doing experimental revisits of past regions a la PLA. They can be prequel/sequels or anything of the sort, which is an easier to reach goal when GF can take their time while another third-party developer does a stop-gap smaller scale RPG aimed at the holiday window that GF would otherwise miss. On top of that you can give the third-party dev creative freedom. In such a scenario I'd want for GF to allow ILCA (or whoever) to redesign gym leaders and the E4, to expand on towns/routes/post-game, you name it. ILCA is a big studio, they sure have plenty of artists and game designers in it. Just give them more leeway.

I'd personally take a HD basic up-rezed port of BW1/2 outright, than an ICLA BDSP style remake, maybe some texture updates, AA, and some very optional filters. I'm not sure you can sell that for $60 today though. Might even take less time, and leave resources for other things.

That said I think/hope ILCA BW will look and run a bit better than BDSP. Praying that some of the extra mon in the dream world/ underground equiv will be from later gens and not just gen 1-5. I already played gen 5 with plenty of older Pokemon.

The more exciting thing will be what fills the legend/experimental slot, whatever that may be. Hopefully that is given adequate time to cook.

Personally I really care about games being preserved, and I will support any effort to do that, whether through a port, a remaster, or a faithful remake.
For me remasters are more than preservation, they are a way to make old games more playable according to modern standards. While I understand the criticisms for BDSP, I rather play that than touch the originals or even Platinum.

If they have truly taken what they said to us to heart about looking to improve future entries, Then there will be no mainline entry this year

No remakes, No mainline generation Nothing from ILCA, Nothing from Game Freak, Please

Remakes being outsourced are the best outcome, as it also gives more ample time for GF to release new games. Legends and Gen 10 might be getting 4 years dev cycles which would be a great news.

I wouldn't assume it is ILCA tho, I don't think TPC were happy with the way BD/SP was handled. That game came in hot and other partners could fill those shoes.

Back
Top Bottom