• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Previews Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the gamexplain video and i'm just gonna assume that the guy knows what he is talking about and be hopeful. Because I really want to play this remake.
I hope so too, but do not have my hopes up of turning it off.

Have we seen mons in the Underground that weren't already in D/P/Pt's main game?
As an example we've seen Farfetch'd in the underground when it is usually only a post game swarm pokemon

Also is it me or does the music also sound a bit worse?
All the tracks in the preview video somehow lack a lot of bass, also the horn instrument sounds like fart tbh :/
Hopefully they will be revised in the final release.
Edit: also this preview is quite peculiar, that it has almost no commentary and has BGMs on full volume. There's another preview from IGN which contains a non-commentary section and the wild Pokémon battle theme there sounds much more dynamic.

Last edited:
Some of the new clips look great! I can’t wait. Any word of whether mega pokemon are back? Or I guess probably more a post game thing if they are 🤔

These previews make me slightly less hyped, honestly.

Namely, TM's being single use only again, and secret bases for only statues and nothing else. Even the original D/P let you decorate your base with furniture and plants and what not.

TM's being made infinite was one of the best QoL changes Pokemon's ever made, reversing that makes me a bit sad.

Otherwise the game still looks good.

Reading these previews, looks like my trend of skipping the remakes and waiting for the next mainline game (Legends in this case) won't be changing here.

Pretty disappointing how it feels like every remake post HG/SS just feels like a lesser game compared to the third versions of the generations they're remaking.

Single Use TM's are terrible, but that's still less baffling to me than mandatory EXP Share. Like why do they just absolutely refuse to give players the option? It's the easiest possible problem to solve and they just don't do it.

I'm a filthy casual who loves XP share, but I get why people would want the more difficult experience.
Honestly I wouldn’t like EXP share even if the games were balanced to be more difficult even with using it

Just the whole point of Pokémon and going through the game is using and watching your Pokémon grow and evolve and I don’t like how you can power level Pokémon you don’t even bother to throw out in battle. Atleast force me to use them to the point where I know what the back of their head looks like if I’m gonna deserve to have them evolve. I didn’t mind it as an end game bonus and such but it feels a bit against the “spirit” of Pokémon and how it works regardless of the difficulty but maybe I’m just a crazy person

Having Exp. Share on by default is fine, but with such a heavy emphasis on a 1:1 faithfulness - down to the UI styling and trainer teams - it's odd not having an option to revert to the original playstyle. Now I'm curious about how Legends Arceus will handle Exp. Share.

EXP Share made sense in Sw/Sh, since the games were balanced around it. With BDSP treading so close to the original releases, I do worry it hasn't been retooled around the added XP gains. I suppose we'll find out!

GameFreak, who is not involved in the development of this game, can't keep getting away with this.

I'm still not entirely sure why they did so in Galar with the introduction of the TRs.
My guess is that the designers didn't want the player to teach Earthquake to their 6 party members. In the older games, the super good TMs were very well hidden or found in the Victory Road. In SwSh, you can get good TRs like Earthquake or Flamethrower pretty early, which was kinda cool.

Last edited:
I actually really like TRs, they were all fairly easy to get once the post game hit and gave a reason for you to grind some stuff out if you wanted to. I think they work perfectly in conjuction with infinite TMs. If the TMs are as easy to get in the post game of BDSP as TRs were in Swsh it really won't be too much of a problem

GameFreak, who is not involved in the development of this game, can't keep getting away with this.
But they are? Junichi Masuda is the director, no?
They might not be the main developer but the project is certainly overseen by people from Game Freak.

But they are? Junichi Masuda is the director, no?
They might not be the main developer but the project is certainly overseen by people from Game Freak.
I believe almost all of GF is working on PLA. I think ILCA is mainly doing BDSP with oversight from Masuda. Not sure how hands on GF are outside of probably saying be faithful to the originals and make a more traditional pokemon experience since PLA will be drastically different and they want some kind of traditional faithful pokemon experience to compensate for that. But yeah, not sure how hands on GF are with this outside of general direction

GF isn't directly involved but ILCA isn't free to do what they want, theyre most likely working on a very strict scope given by TPC (which is part GF), besides Masuda overseeing. Every important decision is probably made by TPC.

All the tracks in the preview video somehow lack a lot of bass, also the horn instrument sounds like fart tbh :/
Hopefully they will be revised in the final release.
Edit: also this preview is quite peculiar, that it has almost no commentary and has BGMs on full volume. There's another preview from IGN which contains a non-commentary section and the wild Pokémon battle theme there sounds much more dynamic.

Sounds much better. Interesting.

My gut feeling tells me this is going to be one of the worst reviewed mainline pokemon games. I am expecting an average on the upper 70's. So many things are just wrong. I always thought every remake was overall a better experience so far but this one makes platinum miles better from a gameplay standpoint.

My gut feeling tells me this is going to be one of the worst reviewed mainline pokemon games. I am expecting an average on the upper 70's. So many things are just wrong. I always thought every remake was overall a better experience so far but this one makes platinum miles better from a gameplay standpoint.
I mean outside of enthusiast forum reactions none of these previews sounded particularly negative. I think that people on these kinds of forums tend to hyperfixate on the shit they don't like about pokemon and forget that most people generally like playing through the game and catching and battling with pokemon. Like you're saying so many things are going wrong but what in particular are you referring to. If its mandatory EXP share almost every preview mentions it as a QOL convenience. None of them are particularly turned off by the artstyle(I like it too to be fair) and they seem generally happy about underground additions and contests and some unrevealed stuff. I think its kind of a tone deaf reading, but a normal one to make if you frequent places like here, era, and certain subsections of twitter.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant at you or anything, just getting some stuff off my mind lol.

I mean outside of enthusiast forum reactions none of these previews sounded particularly negative. I think that people on these kinds of forums tend to hyperfixate on the shit they don't like about pokemon and forget that most people generally like playing through the game and catching and battling with pokemon. Like you're saying so many things are going wrong but what in particular are you referring to. If its mandatory EXP share almost every preview mentions it as a QOL convenience. None of them are particularly turned off by the artstyle(I like it too to be fair) and they seem generally happy about underground additions and contests and some unrevealed stuff. I think its kind of a tone deaf reading, but a normal one to make if you frequent places like here, era, and certain subsections of twitter.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant at you or anything, just getting some stuff off my mind lol.
I understand and I agree. I would have always agreed with every remake thus far but I think this one is going to do it. None of the complaints pointed out here or at other places are going to be pointed out but it will be felt as a dull experience because of it still.

I also think because I'm using myself as an example. I have been a very easy going guy even being very excited when these remakes were anounced. I think they look great. But I imagine it's going to be a dull experience with exp share tacked on without balancing the rest.

I understand and I agree. I would have always agreed with every remake thus far but I think this one is going to do it. None of the complaints pointed out here or at other places are going to be pointed out but it will be felt as a dull experience because of it still.

I also think because I'm using myself as an example. I have been a very easy going guy even being very excited when these remakes were anounced. I think they look great. But I imagine it's going to be a dull experience with exp share tacked on without balancing the rest.
I mean at this point its just speculation, so I guess it remains to be seen. I mean I'm not going to say I'm super excited to play BDSP or anything but I do think it will be a generally good time and serve as a good stopgap until PLA in Late January and I do think they are still hiding something big about this game, since they tend to have a big trailer hook for the last major pre-game trailer.

Sounds different to me. I dunno why people are going after the soundtrack of all things.
Essentially

1324596542030_7713053.png

As an example we've seen Farfetch'd in the underground when it is usually only a post game swarm pokemon
Interesting. Hopefully that's a sign that they'll include other Pokemon (like the dual slot insertion mons) in the Underground too

Essentially

1324596542030_7713053.png
I mean, come on, the music should not be sounding worse than the original compressed DS version. Hoping it's a placeholder or whatever because some other tracks sound fine but if that's ending up in the final product it deserves to be called out as being really bad.

I think that song sounds terrible because it's a placeholder. The wild battle theme uses a completely different instrumentation and sounds much better.

With regard to the soundtrack quality, I guess NoA may also have used an older build for preview which can render whatever we hear in the previews outdated compared to the final release. Therefore I think it's better to wait and see for further previews or official trailers.

One of the things that was universally praised about ORAS and LGPE was the soundtrack, so they probably got this.

I watched the gamexplain vid and this seems like another case where a rep is just assuming exp share is able to be turned off when it actually can't be. I believe I remember Bill Trinen asking if LGPE had exp share as optional, and the other rep said it was.

It's really a huge bummer for me. I value the experience of playing Pokemon underleveled and don't see why the options I've used to make that easier are removed.

I've also seen a lot of defense for permanent exp share, and people who are rude to those that are disappointed by the removal of the option. I don't understand this-- the casual crowd loses nothing by exp share being an option you can turn off. Surely everyone can agree that having the choice would be best?

It's just such a bewildering decision. Like they're keeping faithful to the originals almost to a detriment, but one of the few things they do decide to change is EXP share of all things, which they have to know will be quite controversial to the core crowd. It's not a dealbreaker for me, but just baffling.

One of the things that was universally praised about ORAS and LGPE was the soundtrack, so they probably got this.
I just wish the soundtracks were on a streaming service somewhere. Apple Music would make the most sense, since they are sold on iTunes, but even that doesn't have it.

I just wish the soundtracks were on a streaming service somewhere. Apple Music would make the most sense, since they are sold on iTunes, but even that doesn't have it.
Even iTunes doesn't have everything. Sword and Shield's soundtrack isn't there. People thought that they were waiting for the DLC to release, so that it would include everything, but clearly that didn't happen.

Even iTunes doesn't have everything. Sword and Shield's soundtrack isn't there. People thought that they were waiting for the DLC to release, so that it would include everything, but clearly that didn't happen.
Yeah, the lack of a Sword and Shield soundtrack release is pretty bizarre. It does seem like post release support for the game isn't done yet, but I'd be pretty surprised if it got any new music at this point.

Yeah, the lack of a Sword and Shield soundtrack release is pretty bizarre. It does seem like post release support for the game isn't done yet, but I'd be pretty surprised if it got any new music at this point.
I imagine with them keeping the main VGC format in Sword and Shield for the forseeable future we might get the BDSP pokemon and later the PLA pokemon eventually patched in to mix up the meta. At least that's my guess. But in terms of music it is weird that they haven't released the soundtrack yet

I imagine with them keeping the main VGC format in Sword and Shield for the forseeable future we might get the BDSP pokemon and later the PLA pokemon eventually patched in to mix up the meta. At least that's my guess. But in terms of music it is weird that they haven't released the soundtrack yet
Yeah, there's no real obvious additions besides new and missing Pokémon/forms. If they were still doing more involved Mythical events in-game, that could maybe explain it, but we haven't really gotten one of those since Gen 5.

Yeah, there's no real obvious additions besides new and missing Pokémon/forms. If they were still doing more involved Mythical events in-game, that could maybe explain it, but we haven't really gotten one of those since Gen 5.
Something I could see them doing is adding like BDSP and PLA music, like legendary music, as an option with the pokemon they add once they become compatible, but its not likely.

I'm one of the few in my circle of friends that actually never cared about the visuals, SwSh could be 4k raytraced and it wouldn't solve a single of the core issues it has. I tried really hard to like that game but in the end I just couldn't.

I am way more interested in how the online will be here, because after the disappointment that was SwSh even the Union Rooms are an improvement. It won't be a GTS but at least I may end up being able to trade with randoms online without having to resort to having a separate app, which was awful.

Last edited:
Why does this look like so much of a downgrade from Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee? Watching the previews...the assets look a lower fidelity, art style is less cohesive, and they went way too far on the overall chibi scale.

pletsgo_01.jpg

62604_01_nintendo-release-fresh-pokemon-lets-go-screenshots_full.png

I think the problem here is that they tried to emulate the DS look but it didn't really work out. So in the end you're just alienating both camps here: those that prefer the old school spritework and those that expected an upgraded SwSh look or something comparable.

Can't wait to play thid together with my gf! Especially the underground. It's a shame the remakes don't get the HG/SS trestment but meh..... it's been ages like this i guess that would be rarer than sora in smash nowadays haha.

I do like the graphics kinda reminds me of links awakening or link between worlds in a way.

But yeah that placeholder claim 1 month before release..... dang you gotta be kidding me.

Still no word on how much of Platinum’s content is ‘in’. I’m currently torn on if I actually want to get this game or just replay Platinum at this point. It would be a shame if they didn’t include the extra story content, because I always thought Diamond and Pearl were a little lacking without it.

Looks poor. I'm glad that 4th gen was by far the worst to me, so I don't particularly care. I didn't like gen 3 (yes, the water), and then gen 4 was worse being slowler than molasses in battle. Between them they caused about a period of about 6 years where I stopped paying attention to pokemon altogether because I thought the quality had dipped and didn't trust Game Freak at all. They didn't reel me back in until X/Y on the 3DS. (I went back to play B/W later and had to admit they were great - was a shame I missed out.)

One thing that always amuses me about pokemon threads is how the three-party ownership system serves to totally diffuse blame between them all, to where no one party really takes a hit. Now that this game is made by someone other than GameFreak (though almost certainly with supervision) that blame can be diffused even further.

Ultimately, we just don't need this amount of pokemon RPGs, and it's pure greed that makes them pump them out like this. With Arceus in Feb, it feels like we could get another next winter and end up with 3 in 12 months, which is absurd. It's EA Sports / Ubisoft levels of annually pumping shit out, damn the consequences. Every year I hope to hear that they're taking a 2-3 year break to reinvent some things. But it'll never happen.

Looking forward to these games. I didn't really like Pearl back when I played it on the DS, so maybe these remakes will change my mind

Why does this look like so much of a downgrade from Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee? Watching the previews...the assets look a lower fidelity, art style is less cohesive, and they went way too far on the overall chibi scale.

pletsgo_01.jpg

62604_01_nintendo-release-fresh-pokemon-lets-go-screenshots_full.png

I think the problem here is that they tried to emulate the DS look but it didn't really work out. So in the end you're just alienating both camps here: those that prefer the old school spritework and those that expected an upgraded SwSh look or something comparable.
Well the reason is that GameFreak simply has much better artists. Say what you will about their technical abilities but they sure know a lot about what makes art good

After seeing the latest videos, Im sad to confirm that I'll pass. It's a shame because whenever I listen to DP's soundtrack, nostalgia hits me so heavy, but Im put off by a series of things that have been said over 20 times already in this very thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom