• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Previews Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t realize these were dropping so soon, but I guess we’re getting pretty close to release at this point.

Does this game takes into consideration all the changes in the series (updated stats, new moves/egg moves, fairy typing).
I skipped sword and shield but I do want to get back into the gen 4 metagame.

Does this game takes into consideration all the changes in the series (updated stats, new moves/egg moves, fairy typing).
yes. remakes are always new meta, never the old

Yeah, everything is up to date to the latest games.
Including QoL options.

3 major complaints for me:

1. Everything looks so washed up, they should have tuned up the contrast and saturation a bit.
2. The new walking/running animations of the PC are quite boring and bland with very little dynamism.
3. The probable lack of Platinum content.

The original DS graphics were the best Pokémon ever looked, and to me that's a downgrade

1495137026655.png

If I can't turn off exp share I am done with the franchise after sword and shield. It just doesn't fit my playstyle.

Another couple additions that will be familiar to Sword and Shield players might be a little bit more controversial. The first not so much: the games now feature auto-save, to prevent you from losing your hard-earned progress should something terrible happen. It can be turned off, however, if you’re really keen to relive the lost hours of your youth. What can’t be turned off, however, is the new Exp. Share, which, like Let’s Go or Sword and Shield, now applies to the whole party.
source: Vooks

This is gonna cause a lot of stir.

Very much doubt so. All previews indicate it is like Sword & Shield, it's no longer an item and just applied to everyone. Like in every other JRPG.
That was how it was done in the 3DS games, and in those games you can turn it off.

Are they serious about single use TM's being back? They supposedly don't add any of the Platinum content but they DO bring that back? I really hope some of the things in these previews are inaccurate.

Most previews I'm reading are pretty positive about the game. People will most likely complain (like they always do) on some of the SwSh changes being carried over to BDSP but overall people seem happy about how it's shaping up.

I am a Pokemon newb - been there since Blue/Red, bought them, but rarely play them - are the remakes always the same format as the current generation? Is this the first remake that is lower tier than the current gen?

Guess I'll just play platinum on ds. I needed a reason to start that one anyway.

Edit:

Wait they did? Let me check that.
Yeah just checked their video and they definitely said you can turn it off. Probably going to wait for a more definitive answer but I really hope they're right.

TMs: Fine
EXP Share: Really wish this was optional
Underground: disappointed in the bases but maybe there is more there than statues
Art: I like the Links Awakening vibe i'm not put off

General comment: I get i'm not the target audience as a 30's male but I really wish Pokemon embraced the 'challenge community' and started incorporating things like randomizers, nuzlocks, difficulty settings, etc. A system like Halo skulls or Hades' heat would provide insane replayability and really engage the long term enthusiast crowd that keeps these games bubbling on youtube well after release.

A player can dream.

I am a Pokemon newb - been there since Blue/Red, bought them, but rarely play them - are the remakes always the same format as the current generation? Is this the first remake that is lower tier than the current gen?

What do you consider "lower tier"?

Because if you had me chose the best experience between a 1:1 remake of gen 4 and SwSh+DLCs I'd pick up gen 4 remake in a heartbeat. GameFreak was on a roll on Nintendo DS: Platinum, HG/SS, BW, B2W2.

Not feeling these games, they just look very bland. Its a shame because I loved Gen 4

Watched the gamexplain video and i'm just gonna assume that the guy knows what he is talking about and be hopeful. Because I really want to play this remake.

Yup

It's a mistake from GX. There are no options to not have divided XP amongst Pokémon.

I really hope you can turn the exp share off like the GameExplain video says; you just know they're not going to rebalance the existing trainer battle pokemon levels to account for the change. given how ... original accurate everything else seems to be. And it's not like the game was particularly challenging in the first place.

I’m not a fan of how these games are shaping up. Just feels like a lot of compromises

It's a mistake from GX. There are no options to not have divided XP amongst Pokémon.
Couldn't it just be that it isn't something demonstrable in the demo and he asked about it to staff? I remember XY and SM unlocking the option later in the game.

Couldn't it just be that it isn't something demonstrable in the demo and he asked about it to staff? I remember XY and SM unlocking the option later in the game.

Nop. The NoA reps were categorical. It's like Sword and Shield.

Nop. The NoA reps were categorical. It's like Sword and Shield.
That's quite irresponsible to just drop some misinformation casually like that. He actually says "they said" in the video. Guess it shows that gamexplain's just a trash channel to follow as has been known.

Sad news.

What do you consider "lower tier"?

Because if you had me chose the best experience between a 1:1 remake of gen 4 and SwSh+DLCs I'd pick up gen 4 remake in a heartbeat. GameFreak was on a roll on Nintendo DS: Platinum, HG/SS, BW, B2W2.
My unspoken expectation is that remakes don the trappings of the current gen release. Sword/Shield is much more graphical than this - is that difference always the case with remakes or is this one an outlier?

This may be the first Pokemon game I skip at launch and pick up later since...Pokemon Diamond and Pearl themselves. I have a massive backlog and dropping at the same time as SMTV...I will likely be working on that first.

Edit: Damnit, those screenshots just slapped me in the face and said I'm picking this up Day 1.

I hope that at least the battles are redesigned around the new Exp. Share. In ORAS that thing broke the game in half.

I'm a filthy casual who loves XP share, but I get why people would want the more difficult experience.
I don't even really mind it that much and will use it for postgame leveling and stuff, I just don't really get why there can't be a toggle anymore, it seems like such an easy option to include.

I'm a filthy casual who loves XP share, but I get why people would want the more difficult experience.
It's much easier to manage a more challenging experience indeed. Plus I love having good incentive to keep switching up my pokemon as I keep their levels in sync myself. I love to play the games that way. Sad to see gamefreak doesn't aknowledge this.

Seeing as you can access your box from anywhere now can't you just take Pokémon you don't want getting XP out of your team? Seems like an easy way to get around the EXP share problem that some people seem to have.

Yeah you can.

"Why not give the player to turn off the exp share?"

A simple question that any journalist can ask gamefreak and yet they refuse to ask them this for some reason.

Seeing as you can access your box from anywhere now can't you just take Pokémon you don't want getting XP out of your team? Seems like an easy way to get around the EXP share problem that some people seem to have.
In Sword/Shield I used legit like 14 Pokemon in my playthrough and juggled them so as to not make the game completely laughably easy and it's really just not the same at all. What they should do is do what they did with Gen 7 and make Exp Share the default that can be turned off if you go into the options, but I guess they just don't really care about supporting the playstyle anymore. It's the biggest make or break mechanic for me personally with these remakes so I guess I'm just out on this game and out on the series going forward unless they change their mind. Pokemon's my favorite series so I'm just so sad about it. These games looked really good to me, too.

In Sword/Shield I used legit like 14 Pokemon in my playthrough and juggled them so as to not make the game completely laughably easy and it's really just not the same at all. What they should do is do what they did with Gen 7 and make Exp Share the default that can be turned off if you go into the options, but I guess they just don't really care about supporting the playstyle anymore. It's the biggest make or break mechanic for me personally with these remakes so I guess I'm just out on this game and out on the series going forward unless they change their mind. Pokemon's my favorite series so I'm just so sad about it. These games looked really good to me, too.
I think I used like 24+ or some absurd number of Pokemon in SwSh to try and desperately keep it challenging until I realized it was just directly hurting my enjoyment of the game with all the juggling and menuing I was doing before every trainer. Made me realize these games just really, really aren't meant to have any challenge anymore.

I gotta admit to preferring EXP Share. I thought I’d like to play without it, so during my last Alpha Sapphire playthrough I had it off for the first half of the game. It turns the experience into a sloggy grind fest. I hate having to spend time grinding wild Pokémon so my team can all be around the same level. I just don’t have the patience for that kind of thing anymore.

That's quite irresponsible to just drop some misinformation casually like that. He actually says "they said" in the video. Guess it shows that gamexplain's just a trash channel to follow as has been known.

Sad news.
Could very well just be a mistake on their part, not sure what they would gain from actively propagating misinformation if that is what you’re implying.

It can work, but it's not the same at all, you have to change all your team many times and it's a lot more disruptive.

I really don't understand why they decide to not include the option. It's great that they have made possible to reduce grinding for those who don't like it, but don't force the players who were fine with it... More so being this a remake, when they're saying MT are single use again but cannot let players toggle off the EXP Share.

Sorry if I'm being too negative, but this is almost a game breaking decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom