• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Previews Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the postgame content is good, and the EXP share always being on helps me access that content faster, I don't particularly care about it always being on.

Could very well just be a mistake on their part, not sure what they would gain from actively propagating misinformation if that is what you’re implying.
I didn't mean to say that it wasn't a mistake. Still irresponsible. Gamexplain touts(or touted) itself as a channel with attention to detail.

Thoughts:

- Don’t care about the exp share at all
- TMs not being infinite use would bother me in a game that has competitive, but here I kinda don’t care
- Contests are too stripped down, not a fan in the slightest
- The Underground also lost the capture the flag minigame, with the traps and stuff, and secret bases are literally just statues. Major disappointment here, misses the point completely. At least mining is intact and we got hideaways, but still…
- The Pokétch implementation looks good, but being based on DP means it still only has one damn button
- Game still looks kinda ugly and not very colorful. Or rather, the colors they chose leave a lot to be desired

I think I’ll probably pass this time, just like I did with Let’s Go. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t enjoy these games, I definitely would, but I don’t feel like spending money for something that misses the mark on so many things I care about in a Pokémon remake.

Do we know the size of the NationalDex?
I don't mind EXP share anymore, but I do think they should give us the option to turn it off.

Personally I am a fan of EXP share, but that's lame if it's not toggle-able. The discrepancy in reporting there is weird.

There are just so many baffling decisions in these remakes. Why make TMs single use again? Why not just let us toggle Exp Share? Why not even include basic QoL improvements from Platinum like including a back button on the Pokétch. Their priorities are just all wrong.
Seeing as you can access your box from anywhere now can't you just take Pokémon you don't want getting XP out of your team? Seems like an easy way to get around the EXP share problem that some people seem to have.
You can do that, but it's very inconvenient compared to just being able to toggle it.

The thing about not taking even small Platinum improvements just to be super faithful to Diamond and Pearl specifically is even weirder when they drastically changed other things anyways. No idea what’s up with this.

I actually have SwSh a fair chance when I heard it had default exp share. I was too excited for a pokemon game on switch, but I ended up really disliking it. Finding myself playing against the game, which makes me feel so silly while playing.

It makes me realize that this is the first time I am not buying a mainline pokemon game. Considering how many games come out, and the ds version still being a great option, the money saving should be fine. Halo infinite is coming out too so that works out.

Can't read/watch any preview at the moment. Most important thing I'm waiting for is: is Platinum content/QoL confirmed? So areas, plot, Giratina stuff, pokedex?
Also some people here say TM's are single use again? WTF? Who the heck at ILCA thought it was a good idea? Exp share being forced is not surprising, since they love to remove options to players instead of adding them.

It's looking more and more like a skip to me. Platinum seems better in every way, except of the gen 8 move pool, types etc.

Ngl if they weren't gonna put much effort in these Remakes why not just bring Platinum to Switch lol.

The remakes have quite a few baffling decisions when the game could have been fantastic. This is why my faith in Game Freak is so damn low all these years. They know how special Gen 4 is for a lot of people considering it's one of the best-selling gens in general. Yet, they couldn't give it the treatment it deserves.

It is what it is.

My wife might want to get this, but there's not much here for me.

TMs being single-use is such a weird QoL type of change to go back on. They nailed what was wrong with it ten years ago:
Some mainstays that had always remained ever since the first Pokémon games were also changed. An example of this is the usage of TMs. Originally, they would disappear after one use. Game Freak learnt that, as a result, there were many people who would kept TMs in their item box, and they became a sort of collector’s item, never to be used.

Masuda had noticed, though, that people liked to change moves often, and experiment with new combinations. In light of this, in Pokémon Black/White, TMs can be used more than once.

Is there an article that expands on the TM situation? Is it like Sword and Shield where there are both permanent TMs and consumable TRs, or has everything become consumable?

So much of the outrage over EXP share is really overdone. If they maintain the ease from Sw/SH to switch pokemon from your party to your box(and vice-versa) it's not really an issue. Broaden your horizons and play with more Pokemon. I say this as someone who quit x/y because the EXP share made the game too easy.

Sw/SH I adapted and just played with a team of 8 or 9. I wasn't over-leveled much. When I was I just brought in a new Pokemon. So much more fun than sticking to the same 6. It's just weird seeing some people say they will just quit the entire series over it.

As for the single-use TMs, it is weird. If they hand them out like candy like in Sw/Sh then it's not a big deal but it's also kinda pointless to do that when you could just do away with single-use TMs lmao.

Ngl if they weren't gonna put much effort in these Remakes why not just bring Platinum to Switch lol.

The remakes have quite a few baffling decisions when the game could have been fantastic. This is why my faith in Game Freak is so damn low all these years. They know how special Gen 4 is for a lot of people considering it's one of the best-selling gens in general. Yet, they couldn't give it the treatment it deserves.

It is what it is.
What's worse is that the gaming media does not ask the questions that need to be ask.
"Why cant the exp share be an option?"
"Since you talk about accessibility so much....what aren't the TMs infinite?"
"Difficulty options are a standard in modern RPG....so what's going on with Pokemon in that regard?"

What's worse is that the gaming media does not ask the questions that need to be ask.
"Why cant the exp share be an option?"
"Since you talk about accessibility so much....what aren't the TMs infinite?"
"Difficulty options are a standard in modern RPG....so what's going on with Pokemon in that regard?"

True, but the NOA PR rep demoing the game for them isn't going to have those answers.

Is there an article that expands on the TM situation? Is it like Sword and Shield where there are both permanent TMs and consumable TRs, or has everything become consumable?
Another potentially controversial, er, not-change is the return of single-use TMs. Since the series’ fifth generation, TMs — or Technical Machines, which teach a particular move to a compatible Pokémon — have had unlimited uses, meaning you could teach them to as many Pokémon as you like, as many times as you want, without worrying about running out, or saving it for the perfect situation. Prior to that, if you used a TM, that was it, it broke forever. Sometimes you’d get multiple of a particular TM, and sometimes you could buy certain TMs as many times as you like, but some were single-use, and usually good ones at that. The Nintendo rep in the session assured me that there would be plentiful amounts of every TM you’d want, and I have no reason to doubt them, which opens up the possibility that there might be new ways to obtain TMs. Maybe buying them, maybe digging them up in the Grand Underground (more on that in a moment), or maybe your walking buddy (another new feature) can find them and give them to you. It’s hard to know at this stage, and it’s a bit of an odd decision to stick with single-use TMs so long after they were phased out — even Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire had infinite TM usage.

So much of the outrage over EXP share is really overdone. If they maintain the ease from Sw/SH to switch pokemon from your party to your box(and vice-versa) it's not really an issue. Broaden your horizons and play with more Pokemon. I say this as someone who quit x/y because the EXP share made the game too easy.

Sw/SH I adapted and just played with a team of 8 or 9. I wasn't over-leveled much. When I was I just brought in a new Pokemon. So much more fun than sticking to the same 6. It's just weird seeing some people say they will just quit the entire series over it.

As for the single-use TMs, it is weird. If they hand them out like candy like in Sw/Sh then it's not a big deal but it's also kinda pointless to do that when you could just do away with single-use TMs lmao.
There's no need to be so aggressively dismissive of people's issue with the choice. Handwaving it as outrage and that the people who have issue with it simply need to "broaden their horizons" is a needlessly toxic stance on it. I personally bent over backwards to try to make the new Exp Share work for me and I just find the negative impact it has on the gameplay for me is materially large enough that it's a pretty damn big deal.

There's no need to be so aggressively dismissive of people's issue with the choice. Handwaving it as outrage and that the people who have issue with it simply need to "broaden their horizons" is a needlessly toxic stance on it. I personally bent over backwards to try to make the new Exp Share work for me and I just find the negative impact it has on the gameplay for me is materially large enough that it's a pretty damn big deal.
I'm handwaving the outrageous reaction. I gave an example of such. I'm really not being aggressive but okay. I didn't say there shouldn't be a toggle option nor did I attempt to invalidate everyone who have an issue.

If dismissing those who are screaming and saying they'll quit the entire series over it makes me needlessly toxic, then there really isn't much to say. Every conversation about Pokemon is needlessly toxic. My mistake was interacting with it.

Seeing as you can access your box from anywhere now can't you just take Pokémon you don't want getting XP out of your team? Seems like an easy way to get around the EXP share problem that some people seem to have.

Which is ok if you know in advance what you're going to battle in any wild battle or trainer, but you buggered if you start a battle and don't have what you need because your box currently contains what you needed

"Why not give the player to turn off the exp share?"

A simple question that any journalist can ask gamefreak and yet they refuse to ask them this for some reason.
I think some journalist asked that when SwSh were coming out. If I remember well the answer was: "just rotate your pokemon lol".

TMs are single use again? Fuuuuuuuuck that.

Also “just keep them in your box and rotate!” doesn’t work when you actually want to have individual Pokemon fights with a trainer. But whatever, modern Pokemon loves forcing options on players. People who say “it’s like every other JRPG now” seem to think Pokemon plays like every other JRPG and is fundamentally designed around this.

I was most likely going to get this, I really like Diamond and Platinum, but the EXP share is really putting me off... why do they make it classic with single use TMs, a bad idea, but make it modern with EXP share forced?

The question I have about limited use TMs is this: do they work like the original games (obtained in limited numbers), or like TRs do in Sword and Shield (can be obtained in infinite quantities, and the moves can be relearned for free). Because if it's the latter, I'd be OK with it. If it's the former...yikes!

But that's not how I prefer to play Pokémon. I did for the last couple of games because I was basically forced to, but I prefer to play with a steady team of six. Options are good, even if you yourself see no personal use for them.

Is EXP share basically the massive QOL feature that JRPGs got like 20 years ago where the entire party levels up so you don’t have to grind as different characters? If so why is it a bad thing for Pokemon?
Because the games are absolutely not balanced around it. If you stick with the same mons, you will end up 20+ levels above the competition. It really limits the ways you can play if you want even an iota of challenge.

Thinking about it, I never did play the Kalos, Alola, and Hoenn remake games with the EXP Share on the whole game. Might have to give that a go sometime in the future.

Oh god the music is awful. How do MIDIs on Switch sound worse than they do on DS?

Is EXP share basically the massive QOL feature that JRPGs got like 20 years ago where the entire party levels up so you don’t have to grind as different characters? If so why is it a bad thing for Pokemon?
Because the games aren’t designed around it, as it’s been mentioned, and in previous games it was a toggle that got taken away for no apparent reason.

Also anybody who needs to grind to reach the credits of any Pokemon game is bad at team building. If you fight every trainer in the game you’ll have enough EXP to win.

I've always wondered, when they introduce things like new types, like Fairy, and EXP-share in remakes, doesn't it break the game? Or do they try to balance around the additions?

Also they couldn't upgrade the soundtrack a bit? Meh.

I wouldn't say it's an objectively bad thing for Pokemon and there are theoretically ways it could be implemented well, but there are a few reasons people don't like it.

The more direct reason is that these games simply aren't balanced around it. Sword/Shield were basically balanced in a way that assumed it was still an optional mechanic, similar to Pokemon X/Y and Sun/Moon, where if you exclusively didn't use it you'd be slightly below the level curve but if you did use it exclusively you'd be high above the level curve. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I used upwards of 14 Pokemon swapping in and out of my party constantly just to try to remain on similar terms with the level curve. If these remakes are keeping the level curves from the original game mostly intact, the issue will be present here as well, where using the classic 6 Pokemon party will push you far above the level curve and it will require frequent swapping in and out of Pokemon just to create a reasonably balanced experience, which absolutely never feels intentional, at least to me. It feels like an overcorrection to me, especially since the older games have never at any point actually required grinding to beat the league.

A less direct reason that I think still applies to many is that these are games designed around capturing Pokemon and raising them. A lot of people enjoy having to use your Pokemon in battle to level them up and raise them. This isn't a party-based JRPG where you're using all your characters in battle (and even then you'll find a subset of JRPG fans that appreciate games that divide experience differently for in-battle units vs out-of-battle units for similar reasons), but a game designed around raising up your Pokemon. The games were designed around this aspect for so long that some just don't like not having the option to more directly raise up their Pokemon like older games.

I think most people would just like the option. I don't think anybody feels that people shouldn't be able to use Exp Share, but it just sorta sucks for those of us who don't like its impact on the game.

I've always wondered, when they introduce things like new types, like Fairy, and EXP-share in remakes, doesn't it break the game? Or do they try to balance around the additions?
Movesets are revamped in remakes to account for mechanical changes like Fairy-type or new moves, so enemies can use them against the player. They don't balance around the extra Exp. generation from nuExp Share, though.

Because the games are absolutely not balanced around it. If you stick with the same mons, you will end up 20+ levels above the competition. It really limits the ways you can play if you want even an iota of challenge.

Oh god the music is awful. How do MIDIs on Switch sound worse than they do on DS?

Because the games aren’t designed around it, as it’s been mentioned, and in previous games it was a toggle that got taken away for no apparent reason.

Also anybody who needs to grind to reach the credits of any Pokemon game is bad at team building. If you fight every trainer in the game you’ll have enough EXP to win.

I wouldn't say it's an objectively bad thing for Pokemon and there are theoretically ways it could be implemented well, but there are a few reasons people don't like it.

The more direct reason is that these games simply aren't balanced around it. Sword/Shield were basically balanced in a way that assumed it was still an optional mechanic, similar to Pokemon X/Y and Sun/Moon, where if you exclusively didn't use it you'd be slightly below the level curve but if you did use it exclusively you'd be high above the level curve. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I used upwards of 14 Pokemon swapping in and out of my party constantly just to try to remain on similar terms with the level curve. If these remakes are keeping the level curves from the original game mostly intact, the issue will be present here as well, where using the classic 6 Pokemon party will push you far above the level curve and it will require frequent swapping in and out of Pokemon just to create a reasonably balanced experience, which absolutely never feels intentional, at least to me. It feels like an overcorrection to me, especially since the older games have never at any point actually required grinding to beat the league.

A less direct reason that I think still applies to many is that these are games designed around capturing Pokemon and raising them. A lot of people enjoy having to use your Pokemon in battle to level them up and raise them. This isn't a party-based JRPG where you're using all your characters in battle (and even then you'll find a subset of JRPG fans that appreciate games that divide experience differently for in-battle units vs out-of-battle units for similar reasons), but a game designed around raising up your Pokemon. The games were designed around this aspect for so long that some just don't like not having the option to more directly raise up their Pokemon like older games.

I think most people would just like the option. I don't think anybody feels that people shouldn't be able to use Exp Share, but it just sorta sucks for those of us who don't like its impact on the game.
Wait so I’m confused on what the mechanic is then (I’m not a Pokémon fan just always been curious). How does it make you above the level curve? I always thought it was something like, if I were using FF7 as an example with a team of only cloud Barrett and Tifa. Fighting battles with them only means Aerith doesn’t level up, which I remember people disliking and now modern RPGs have everyone level up regardless if they’re in the party. there’s no change to the level curve, everyone just becomes even so that you don’t have underlevelled characters you have to grind simply because you didn’t use them and is more encouraging to try switching your team out because no one is at a disadvantage. Is that not how it works in Pokémon?

Either way if it was a toggle in previous games then yeah taking away options in general sucks.

Seeing the overworld encounters in the Grand Underground it is baffling they didn't opt to return the most lauded feature of LGPE in the routes too. The code is right there.

Any ideas about this section from the Vooks preview?

There’s a few more interesting things I saw on display during that session, but unfortunately I can’t talk about them just yet. I’ve no doubt there’s plenty more surprises in store in the coming month as marketing videos go out, so make sure you keep an eye out, both here on Vooks and on Pokémon socials prior to the games’ release. Oh, and in case you’re wondering, the Battle Frontier was asked about… and promptly dodged. The Nintendo rep replied that there’s still more to be announced, but didn’t outright say there was no Frontier either. I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up, but hey, you really never know sometimes. Maybe we’ll get lucky.

There is definitely more to come in terms of things to reveal. In terms of what they were hiding and what more they could reveal who knows, but I definitely think they will want at least one more big marketing hook. Pokemon always likes to drop something significant in the last big trailer before release.

Wait so I’m confused on what the mechanic is then (I’m not a Pokémon fan just always been curious). How does it make you above the level curve? I always thought it was something like, if I were using FF7 as an example with a team of only cloud Barrett and Tifa. Fighting battles with them only means Aerith doesn’t level up, which I remember people disliking and now modern RPGs have everyone level up regardless if they’re in the party. there’s no change to the level curve, everyone just becomes even so that you don’t have underlevelled characters you have to grind simply because you didn’t use them and is more encouraging to try switching your team out because no one is at a disadvantage. Is that not how it works in Pokémon?

Either way if it was a toggle in previous games then yeah taking away options in general sucks.
In the old games only Pokemon that participate in a battle get EXP. trainer encounters are battling Pokemon one at a time. You beat a Pokemon, all your Pokemon who fought get EXP, the trainer sends out a new Pokemon, repeat.

Because this in particular is a game balanced around earning a certain amount of experience as you progress through the game and in all likelihood, just like SWSH, they won't have rebalanced for the fact that you're effectively earning 350% of the exp you did in the original games. (100% +5*50 for all your party members that previously were getting 0 exp).

There's also a bit of disconnect because to begin with, you would generally have to use your individual Pokémon to make them stronger, whereas now the optimal way to train other Pokémon is to never even let them out of the ball and just let your one already superstring Pokémon do all the heavy lifting.

The problem is balance. The problem that's generally occurred is that you get too much experience too quickly with all 6 of your Pokémon getting experience every time, which breaks the difficulty curve.

The Exp. from defeating an enemy is duplicated across your party, not split.

In older games, if an enemy Pokémon yielded 200 Exp., your battling Pokémon would get 200 Exp. Using the held Exp. Share would give 100 Exp. to the battling Pokémon and 100 Exp. to the Pokémon holding Exp. Share. With newer games, if an enemy Pokémon yields 200 Exp., your battling Pokémon would get 200 Exp. and your other Pokémon each get 100 Exp., so a team of six gets a total of 700 Exp.

Difference is that you dont constantly have the whole party in battle participating. The whole party partakes in final fantasy. If pokemon was a 6 on 6 battle game then no one would ba talking obviously. The one that fights, the one you use gets the exp. Im of course not counting the fact that the characters outside of the party level along as well in final fantasy which pokemon doesnt have. Thats the point really. Different games.

- Game still looks kinda ugly and not very colorful. Or rather, the colors they chose leave a lot to be desired
This is probably my biggest pet peeve with it so far, it seems like they overcorrected from the ultra-saturated colors of the initial showing but now some parts look very dull. I'm also not a big fan of the cheap-looking DoF in some parts but it's rare that Switch games include it at all so it's fine.

I'll probably have a good amount of fun with these games, though I'll still probably spend more time in Swsh after the post game as that's where VGC is. I do think eventually all BDSP and PLA pokemon will be transferrable to Swsh after they become home compatible in 2022 otherwise it wouldn't be significant or require any sort of delay to make them compatible. Either way it looks like a decent time and a good stopgap for the main course in PLA. And like that article snippet I posted above I think there is at least one big bomb they haven;t revealed that they will save for an upcoming trailer

At least I know for sure it's a "maybe if I somehow find it for $20" type of deal for me now.
Will there be more than 2 fire-types?
Yes! Though maybe not on the routes. It seems like they may have put the expanded Platinum Dex in the new Underground Hideaways.

At least I know for sure it's a "maybe if I somehow find it for $20" type of deal for me now.

Yes! Though maybe not on the routes. It seems like they may have put the expanded Platinum Dex in the new Underground Hideaways.
That's what I'm most excited about it'll be fun to use pokemon outside of even the platinum dex main game from the underground. I wonder how early we get access?

That's what I'm most excited about it'll be fun to use pokemon outside of even the platinum dex main game from the underground. I wonder how early we get access?
Have we seen mons in the Underground that weren't already in D/P/Pt's main game?

really like this shot

You're right, the underground areas do look great. Why doesn't the whole game look like this?

Probably to make the game look as faithful as possible to DP, but it doesn't work if it ends up looking worse than the originals, does it.

Not a fan of the music in the gameplays tbh. Everything else looks just like what I wanted for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom