• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

PlayStation PlayStation Showcase announced (May 24th, 1 PM PDT / 9 PM BST)

It is peculiar how Grubb knows GoT2 won't be at the Showcase. Usually it's things he knows will be there. I wonder how this info came to him.
I think it's just speculation on the fact that it's only been three years since GoT launched and games take much longer to make. There's no way GoT2 (if real) is in any showable state considering it's two years away at best.

Pair that with Sony touting their live service initiative, Spider Man needing a blowout, and third party deals, it just doesn't make sense to show off a GoT2 that is nowhere close to done.

I think it's just speculation on the fact that it's only been three years since GoT launched and games take much longer to make. There's no way GoT2 (if real) is in any showable state considering it's two years away at best.

Pair that with Sony touting their live service initiative, Spider Man needing a blowout, and third party deals, it just doesn't make sense to show off a GoT2 that is nowhere close to done.
Maybe. I wouldn't consider it too impossible, considering they often announce games 2 years ahead without showing gameplay yet. I would only expect something like a logo/cinematic trailer, if anything, at this point.

Maybe. I wouldn't consider it too impossible, considering they often announce games 2 years ahead without showing gameplay yet. I would only expect something like a logo/cinematic trailer, if anything, at this point.
Im hoping Sony is past that type of hyping of games. We need to get past the CGI or log announcements for a game that won't exist for three years.

Im hoping Sony is past that type of hyping of games. We need to get past the CGI or log announcements for a game that won't exist for three years.
Lately they've done that more alongside other trailers that actually have more gameplay for titles releasing much sooner, so I don't mind it. Sometimes that works (TotK) but sometimes it doesn't (Elder Scrolls 6). And usually it's only like 1-2 years away anyways.

Strange post. They haven't been posting CGI announcements for years, besides Wolverine which had already leaked on twitter. Honestly dialogue about Playstation on this forum is like something from ten years ago.

Strange post. They haven't been posting CGI announcements for years, besides Wolverine which had already leaked on twitter. Honestly dialogue about Playstation on this forum is like something from ten years ago.
Didn't they do exactly this with Spider Man 2 and Wolverine at the same exact show? Both of those games were nowhere near release when they announced them. And yes that was two years ago when Sony did these long term announcements with not much to show for games 2+ years away, it's also important to note that those games were announced at their LAST showcase. They've been silent in regards to new first party announcements ever since (they still have had State of Plays but not a "Showcase" which the community accepts as the larger more important ones).

It's not a strange post to not want bare bones announcements for games 2+ years out when that's exactly what they did at their last showcase.

It's not random. I compared them directly because someone made the poor decision to release it in the same 24-hour period - which matters a lot with how social media algorithms work nowadays.

For example, while the TotK trailer was trending #1 overall in the U.S. region, alongside a ton of pointless TotK trailer reaction videos - the FFXVI SOP failed to trend overall at all. It did not even make the Top #25 of the Gaming sub-section & was pushed underneath the TotK reaction videos, Roblox shorts & Fortnite compilations.

As this was a one-off showcase, they could have picked any day they wanted. Had they simply released it the day after, it would have gotten more eyeballs & clicks by virtue of the YouTube algorithm.

Same story for the Japanese region, which was not as surprising as it's still tracking for a steep decline in launch sales numbers.

Now with the TotK regional sales numbers mostly out, it was not surprising to see regions where the trailer trended the highest had the most extreme comparative sales boosts. Timing & numbers matter.
I'm aware of the respective youtube metrics of both games. Has it occurred to you that Playstation and Square Enix don't think putting that SoP up at the same time as the Zelda trailer will have any effect on the sales of FFXVI? FFXVI has had a long, successful marketing campaign - the obsession from you of putting both games head to head and creasing FUD that doesn't need to exist is utterly bizarre. TOTK is a big success; FFXVI will also be a success.

Your concerns are completely manufactured and exist purely in your head, and, I suspect, come from the fact that FFXVI isn't on the Switch.

Didn't they do exactly this with Spider Man 2 and Wolverine at the same exact show? Both of those games were nowhere near release when they announced them. And yes that was two years ago when Sony did these long term announcements with not much to show for games 2+ years away, it's also important to note that those games were announced at their LAST showcase. They've been silent in regards to new first party announcements ever since (they still have had State of Plays but not a "Showcase" which the community accepts as the larger more important ones).

It's not a strange post to not want bare bones announcements for games 2+ years out when that's exactly what they did at their last showcase.
Did you just ignore my point about Wolverine leaking? Their hand was forced.

Spiderman 2 is a game everyone knows existed and was always coming out; moreover, everyone knows how it will play. What is the issue with it getting announced with a story oriented CGI trailer exactly?

It is peculiar how Grubb knows GoT2 won't be at the Showcase. Usually it's things he knows will be there. I wonder how this info came to him.

Probably just rumours on the grapevine in the industry re: the game's production. Maybe it has hit a snag, maybe it's just a long development - the game came out three years ago and Sucker Punch aren't a huge studio (they also made Iki DLC a while back) so an announcement in 2024 isn't that crazy.

For what it's worth, Greg Miller also seemed extremely pessimistic about GoT2 getting announced any time soon - he is an Infamous fanboy and I'd be surprised if he didn't know people at Sucker Punch.

Ratchet and Clank collection please. Why it gotta be stuck on PS3 😭
Would be nice, along with an Infamous collection - tbh I'm not sure why Playstation doesn't auction these kind of remakes or remasters out to smaller third party studios, but it's not something they are interested besides a couple of exceptions (Wipeout and Medieval last gen). Seems like a no brainer honestly.

Did you just ignore my point about Wolverine leaking? Their hand was forced.

Spiderman 2 is a game everyone knows existed and was always coming out; moreover, everyone knows how it will play. What is the issue with it getting announced with a story oriented CGI trailer exactly?
I didn't know Wolverine leaked but I would like to know when it leaked and in what context. Did it leak because they had this CGI announcement trailer made and that's how people found out about it and they were going to announce it anyway? I doubt they put together a whole announcement trailer and revealed a game 3 years out just because of a leak.

I have no issue with CGI story trailers announcing, my issue is companies announcing games 2-3+ years out. I was annoyed when Nintendo did it with TotK (which I can cut them slack for because it was announced before Covid and that definitely messed things up) and MP4. I get annoyed every time Microsoft does it (especially now for their new games in a post Covid world where everything gets delayed) and I get annoyed when Sony does it.

Yearly Shows that highlight huge games for the next 12 months is way more exciting to me than trailers announcing games we won't see for another 2-3 (or even more) years.

I didn't know Wolverine leaked but I would like to know when it leaked and in what context. Did it leak because they had this CGI announcement trailer made and that's how people found out about it and they were going to announce it anyway? I doubt they put together a whole announcement trailer and revealed a game 3 years out just because of a leak.

I have no issue with CGI story trailers announcing, my issue is companies announcing games 2-3+ years out. I was annoyed when Nintendo did it with TotK (which I can cut them slack for because it was announced before Covid and that definitely messed things up) and MP4. I get annoyed every time Microsoft does it (especially now for their new games in a post Covid world where everything gets delayed) and I get annoyed when Sony does it.

Yearly Shows that highlight huge games for the next 12 months is way more exciting to me than trailers announcing games we won't see for another 2-3 (or even more) years.
IIRC someone at Insomniac bemoaned the leaks re: Wolverine (the female twitter leaker whose name I can't remember definitely leaked it prior to the announcement). But honestly I'm too drunk right now to go through twitter and find it. I have no issue with games like Spider-man 2 getting CGI trailers because, as I said, the gameplay won't be a huge change from the previous game.

Look I think we are on the same page re: CGI announcements for games being way out is a bad habit in the industry, but by and large I think Playstation have done it less and less over the past few years, even if you want to include something like Wolverine. Nintendo are the best at this kind of thing, M$ the worst, Playstation somewhere in the middle.

I'd be surprised if we get much in terms of CGI announcements for games 2-3 years away - but then again Playstation do like at least one hype inducing announcement. Perhaps Persona 6? But anyway I expect the majority of the showcase to have gameplay and to have games coming primarily in the next 12 months.

I would gladly buy HD trilogies of the PS3 R&C games, Resistance 1-3 as well.

Really hoping we see something from Little Devil Inside at this event, been quiet for a long time.

Their three big game announcements from their last showcase were all CGI.

am I the only one kind of depressed that insomniac is seemingly just going to be a superhero studio from now on?
Not really, Ratchet and Clank is decent but I much preferred Spiderman. In saying that I'm not an OG Ratchet fan.

am I the only one kind of depressed that insomniac is seemingly just going to be a superhero studio from now on?
I mean I'm sure Ratchet is still going to remain in their rotation.

But that series has also had like a dozen games already so it won't be as often as it was in the PS2/PS3 gen, surely.

I'm aware of the respective youtube metrics of both games. Has it occurred to you that Playstation and Square Enix don't think putting that SoP up at the same time as the Zelda trailer will have any effect on the sales of FFXVI? FFXVI has had a long, successful marketing campaign - the obsession from you of putting both games head to head and creasing FUD that doesn't need to exist is utterly bizarre. TOTK is a big success; FFXVI will also be a success.

Your concerns are completely manufactured and exist purely in your head, and, I suspect, come from the fact that FFXVI isn't on the Switch.
I think you're jumping to conclusions here and might want to dial that back a bit. He was commenting on the fact that it felt like the TOTK trailer completely drowned out the FFXVI SoP and they shouldn't have put them on the same day, which is true. And more to that point, literally every single content creator and youtuber and twitter games press person and such that I can remember that day commented on that exact thing - it was a very widespread opinion. So it's not like he's inventing that out of nowhere.

Didn't they do exactly this with Spider Man 2 and Wolverine at the same exact show?

Their three big game announcements from their last showcase were all CGI.

Without necessarily getting into the broader discussion, Spider-Man 2 wasn't CGI! Just Insomniac doing Insomniac things.

Hoping to be impressed by Spider-Man 2. Absolutely loved my first time playing the first one, but playing Miles Morales and then earlier this year replaying Spider-Man 1, it really gets repetitive.
But at least I know the story should be good.
Only good Peter Parker story along with the side arc of Peter B Parker in Into the Spider-verse that I've enjoyed in years.

Already hype about Kraven seemingly being in, given the first trailer.

I don't expect to see Wolverine, but this I'm very excited for. Especially since they won't be able to do their usual "character with crazy traversal abilities and a lot of fun gadgets" with him, will be fun to see how they adapt themselves for a (supposedly) heavier beat em all. So it would be an incredible surprise if it does show up and it releases, like, next year. (I don't expect it until 2025 or 2026.)

It would be cool if Spider-man 2 could incorporate the Rift Apart world loading where you're swinging through portals and shit but without making it a Spider-verse game.

The maneuverability of those games is really the bread and butter so I hope they find a way to spice it up.

Don't know why but I feel this one will be THE one for my personal tastes

So far I havent been so involved with PS5 offer, neither hardware nor software, but I think it's time

Good listen, and seems like there's a lot potentially brewing here that I might be interested in, but also a lot that I'm not, too. Should be a fun show regardless, and I'm happy we're entering announcement season

Imma make an incredibly stupid bold prediction. This is the Showcase where we finally see GTAVI.

I hope this is more in line with the 2020 presentations. The 2021, half of it was ass and just pretty much saved the best stuff for the first party titles.

Hey OP; just threw in a quick thread title edit to include the date and time! Less than 24 hours away now, but I think it's still handy to have as reference.

I know Insomniac is VERY busy these days, but I would love to see another Ratchet announced, (or maybe a big DLC?). Or something more similar to that (like Jack and Daxter (as if) or a new scrimblo platformer or something), rather than Wolverine (which I am also very excited for). Some decent ports of the PS2/3 games would also be rad, kind of feeling the itch to co-op play gladiator again. An actually good remake of 2 or 3 would also be great. I'm not expecting anything like this, Spiderman 2 will be more than enough. But a man can dream though.

A new Astrobot (preferably playable without VR, but also a showcase for PSVR 2 somehow?) would be neat. I'm just not interested in VR personally, but also want that hardware to have a killer app. The lost potential is a bit painful.

Another Sackboy would be good, hopefully a bit better than 3 or big adventure in either 2d or 3d. Not sure what sumo or media molecule are doing right now. Mourning the lost potential of Dreams, they really should have made that a pack in game for PS5 or something.

I wonder if uncharted has a non-naughty dog team if they could make a good follow up to 4. 4 had substantially improved gameplay (still only fine, but miles a head of 2/3), while still banking on that Naughty dog tech and acting and set pieces.

Anything persona or SMT is appreciated, Atlus can announce that stuff anywhere though.

Finally putting Metal gear rumors to rest, correct or wrong. A decent looking Konami IP would be cool. Really would love to see a full-fat 3d Igavania in my lifetime.

Maybe the FFT Tactics remake rumors will be correct? Could be neat. FF9 probably wont be shown off for a while I imagine.

Pragmata perhaps?

Anyway, its nice to have showcases to look forward to again. Cannot wait for Keighthree.

j-jonah-jameson-102652.jpg

Who is Spider-Man? He's a criminal that's who he is! A vigilante! A public menace! What's he doing not on MY PS5?

Not sure I have any big predictions for tomorrow, but I'm ready to see some new cool games and some substantial updates on ones we've been hearing about for a while. Hoping we get some big looks at Spider Man 2 and Alan Wake 2 in particular. Former should be a lock, the latter not necessarily. I think we'll get a final Final Fantasy XVI trailer and I hope we get a new FF7 Rebirth trailer. I think it's time to say whether it is this or next year officially (always been the latter in my book).

Not sure I have any big predictions for tomorrow, but I'm ready to see some new cool games and some substantial updates on ones we've been hearing about for a while. Hoping we get some big looks at Spider Man 2 and Alan Wake 2 in particular. Former should be a lock, the latter not necessarily. I think we'll get a final Final Fantasy XVI trailer and I hope we get a new FF7 Rebirth trailer. I think it's time to say whether it is this or next year officially (always been the latter in my book).
I’d be kind of surprised to see Rebirth with 16 just around the corner, but I’m with you on it being probably early 2024. I think they originally said “this winter” so technically they can still be on track until late March, anyway

I’d be kind of surprised to see Rebirth with 16 just around the corner, but I’m with you on it being probably early 2024. I think they originally said “this winter” so technically they can still be on track until late March, anyway
I'm leaning on these PlayStation Showcases tend to paint the picture for the next 2-3 years of PlayStation, but yeah if it's not there I wouldn't be surprised or too disappointed either.

Yeah at the time the reveal trailer was a dubious "Next Winter" which basically means November - April for Square. They definitely did it so people will talk about it like it has a potential to release in 2023 even if it is likely 2024 haha. Crisis Core made its own "This Winter" by sneaking into December 2022, so definitely not impossible either!

Native PS3 emulation for those of us still with PS3 disc based games would be a cool announcement.

This feels like a really exciting showcase as we are at a point now where the PS4/XBO gen will get less support so all new games should hopefully take more advantage of the power/feature set of PS5.

I’m guessing Capcom will announce the first RE4R DLC and MH6 that will be fully PS5 exclusive

-Spider Man 2
-Factions with release date
-Stellar Blade
-couple of annoucements from partners, games like Helldivers 2 etc-
-a little handful of indies
-FFXVI
-Silent Hill 2
-MGS 3
-Twisted Metal from FireSprite
-couple of Live Service games, maybe from Firewalk?

these are pretty safe pick, IMO. I wonder who will be the "one more thing" studio this time. Maybe SMM with Barlog new game? Bend? Sucker Punch with Got 2? Bluepoint new IP?
at least a couple of this will be MIA.

eager to see what 3rd party games we will see.

I wonder how many games Sony will block from appear in competing systems. Still waiting on Symphony my of the Night for switch

Back
Top Bottom