• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Physical games you wish were available

parasite2

Piranha Plant
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi! I really like collecting physical copies of my favorite games but unfortunately not every game is available in a physical format so I'd like to know what are your dream physical editions that may or may never happen on Switch or any other console. I'll start:

1.- Alien Isolation for Nintendo Switch

V72BNQJIYRDLTFDJWDDS6RMPH4.jpg

2.- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice for Nintendo Switch

dims.jpg

3.- Webbed for Nintendo Switch

H2x1_NSwitchDS_Webbed.jpg

Deleted

- whoops should've read the OP more closely -

I'd like a Famicom Detective Club edition.

I also hope that Live A Live, 13 sentinels and the Chaos;Head double pack will have physical editions

Live a Live will definitely get a physical release, but maybe the special edition Japan has won't come over.

I'm holding out for a physical release of Chrono Cross RD Edition in Asia. Still nothing announced...

Would love to see physical copies of the Octo Expansion or Happy Home Paradise.

Live A Live and 13 sentinels: Aegis Rim will have physical editions in North America.
I live in Europe. If they're ridiculously expensive I'll go digital.

The Great Ace Attorney has the same situation: I'm not paying 60 euro for a game that already gets discounted to 30 on the eshop.

Xenoblade 2. I can't find it anywhere. I've heard fairy tales that it exists, but I've never seen it.

Somewhat more serious, Alien Isolation, Onimusha, DMC Trilogy. There's also a couple that baffle me. Batman: Enemy Within. The Telltale series has a physical release, I even own it, but the sequel didn't? Same with Doom Eternal. Doom had a physical, but not Eternal. That fact drives me bananas because I want the whole series physical. Don't do some and leave out others!

Oh, and the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy.

Pretty much the entire PC gaming market in North America.

While it's understandable that most people have moved on to digital games at this point (In fact, most retail releases nowadays are just keys. With the disks only really existing for people with slow internet connections. and some developers have even removed those.)
It's still surprising to see the rest of the world get okay support versus what the US has. The only active publishers out there are Bethesda (which might get killed thanks to the Microsoft purchase), THQ Nordic, and EA, of all companies.

Even Limited Run Games, a company designed specifically to create retail releases of titles that wouldn't otherwise get them, barely does these, partially because the developers frequently refuse to provide DRM-free builds despite them being necessary for preservation in this format.

As noted, Europe is much better at this. With companies such as Square Enix, CAPCOM, SEGA, and even Ubisoft actively making physical copies in some form over there.

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 and Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 for the Switch. Them being digital only kinda sucks and feels really incomplete :(

The Atelier trilogies - i.e. Arland 1-3, Dusk 1-3 and Mysterious 1-3 - especially since these are a thing in Japan and the fourth game in both the Arland and Mysterious series is out physically on Switch in non-Japanese territories.

Katana Zero , Famicom Detective Club , Fatal frame also a reprint of Torna the Golden County missed out on it and now it's super expensive

Famicom Detective Club would have been great physical... and Celeste! I know it was on LRG but I hate that. Super Meat Boy as well

If anyone ever wished for a physical version of SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions, Arc System Works is actually putting out an Asian retail version (with English, as usual) for Switch/PS4 finally later this month (21st) after they recently also finally put Romancing SaGa 2 out physically (3 was already available). This will go well with the Chrono Cross preorders
Ender Lilies needs one.
It's been two months since this post but I hope you're aware of this:
(also for PS4)
I live in Europe. If they're ridiculously expensive I'll go digital.

The Great Ace Attorney has the same situation: I'm not paying 60 euro for a game that already gets discounted to 30 on the eshop.
Live A Live is published by Nintendo in the West. It's getting regular retail versions everywhere.
13 Sentinels also has a regular retail version across EU.
Katana Zero , Famicom Detective Club , Fatal frame also a reprint of Torna the Golden County missed out on it and now it's super expensive
Katana Zero was announced by LRG in 2020 but its released had been pushed back but it's still happening.
Fatal Frame is available from Asia/Japan with an English patch DL.

They did Octo on a cart, as well as BOTW + DLC physically:

I can confirm it's on the cart, no download required.
but it's worth noting that the JP release of Splatoon 2 is not compatible with saves of other regions since Splatoon 2 is, annoyingly, one of Nintendo's rare non-global SKU games where every region (JP/NA/EU/AU all separate) has a distinct SKU (which also lead to the distinct Splatfests etc).

Last edited:
(also for PS4)

Waaay ahead of them 😉

OEsaqiO.jpg

I doubt it will happen, but I would kill for a Smash Ultimate complete edition with every single byte of data on the cartridge. Only way I know that game will still be playable in its current form 50 years from now.

Live A Live is published by Nintendo in the West. It's getting regular retail versions everywhere.
When I posted that comment it wasn't known yet. I've preordered 13 sentinels a couple of weeks ago at my local GameStop.

Thanks for the Live A Live news though

Cuphead - I do think they said it was going to come at some point, so hopefully it will arrive with the DLC
Ruined King
A Short Hike

I think those three from the top of my head.. I know I've thought to myself many times that I wish there was a retail copy of this but I cant come up with them now :p

Famicom Detective Club, I refuse to buy digital only games from big publishers when they never bothered to give the physical option a chance.
Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak, I was ready to try an MH game for the first time, it's a shame that Capcom decided to give us a code in a box instead of a cartridge.

Famicom Detective Club, I refuse to buy digital only games from big publishers when they never bothered to give the physical option a chance.
Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak, I was ready to try an MH game for the first time, it's a shame that Capcom decided to give us a code in a box instead of a cartridge.
well try the demo or just buy the base game then? why draw the line at the expansion?

Doom Eternal for the Switch

I think that's the only one.
I was super confident they'd have LRG do a Big Card run with both expansions on it for a premium price or something but I guess that just wasn't viable for anyone in the end.

well try the demo or just buy the base game then? why draw the line at the expansion?
Because it's huge and would take all my remaining storage space, at $ 40 it's priced as a full AA game (albeit a small one) and they've put those expansions in a disk or card before, just not on Switch.

The upcoming Portal collection. I've wanted Portal on Switch for many years and I'm dying for a physical version.
For sure the Portal collection. That’s gonna sting if it’s for sure digital only.

Because it's huge and would take all my remaining storage space, at $ 40 it's priced as a full AA game (albeit a small one) and they've put those expansions in a disk or card before, just not on Switch.
I mean why is it the expansion you're after? If you just wanna "try for your first MH" then just go with the base game (which you don't even need to buy if you just wanna give it a try, thanks to the demo). There's nothing in that expansion that is so unique that you're not getting the same taste in the base game.

Affordable Space Adventures for Wii U. A rare game that took full advantage of the system shouldn’t be impossible to get once the eShop closes.

I’d like all the Atari Recharged titles+ Tempest 4000 as a physical compilation. Maybe even throw Kombinera in to make it more complete.

Also Tetris Effect Connected.

Edit: Eschatos as well. It sucks that crap like Waifu Uncovered gets a physical version, but some legitimately great SHMUPS like Eschatos and Devil Engine (probably more the dev’s fault) are stuck as digital only titles.

I mean why is it the expansion you're after? If you just wanna "try for your first MH" then just go with the base game (which you don't even need to buy if you just wanna give it a try, thanks to the demo). There's nothing in that expansion that is so unique that you're not getting the same taste in the base game.
I just want the complete version on a cartridge, something that Capcom has done before. As for the demo, honestly, no time for demos, I bought my Switch in the last Holidays and had bought 80+ physical games for it before that, a good number of them being JRPGs, so now I have quite the backlog to navigate through.

I'd love to see a collection of the OG Resident Evil trilogy (the remakes are good but the originals shouldn't be forgotten) with Code: Veronica X.

Last edited:
I thought of one more: Valkyria Chronicles 1. It wasn't released physically on Switch anywhere in the world. Honestly a shame.

I thought of one more: Valkyria Chronicles 1. It wasn't released physically on Switch anywhere in the world. Honestly a shame.
it's baffling that the big pubs don't even see the demand and the absolute 100% guarantee of selling a minimum print run if they'd partner with one of those one time only print run companies (of which there are way too many to keep track of now).

nevermind that they could all just ...simply do it themselves. tie it to some "one time only!" chance and go in with absolute certainty that all stock would be sold. I guess it wouldn't just generate good will but also complaints from people who can't get it for whatever reason so maybe that's why it's not worth the hassle (which is surely always ultimately the reason: not worth the hassle).

Webbed looks great. I don't plan to pick up the physical edition but I am planning to purchase it for Switch.

If anyone ever wished for a physical version of SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions, Arc System Works is actually putting out an Asian retail version (with English, as usual) for Switch/PS4 finally later this month (21st) after they recently also finally put Romancing SaGa 2 out physically (3 was already available). This will go well with the Chrono Cross preorders

(also for PS4)

Katana Zero was announced by LRG in 2020 but its released had been pushed back but it's still happening.
Fatal Frame is available from Asia/Japan with an English patch DL.

but it's worth noting that the JP release of Splatoon 2 is not compatible with saves of other regions since Splatoon 2 is, annoyingly, one of Nintendo's rare non-global SKU games where every region (JP/NA/EU/AU all separate) has a distinct SKU (which also lead to the distinct Splatfests etc).

Can you play the Japanese Splatoon 2 + Octo Expansion pack in English and get the full experience on a USA system? Like if I start with that copy, would all the saves created from that cart still work and will all the dlc and online still work?

Xenoblade 3 DLC story. There's a 50% chance we'll get one, but I don't want it at the end of 2023. I want it in Spring 2023 at the earliest. I'm gonna be done with xb3 by the end of the year/summer and don't want to buy the pass digitally with the game..

Can you play the Japanese Splatoon 2 + Octo Expansion pack in English and get the full experience on a USA system? Like if I start with that copy, would all the saves created from that cart still work and will all the dlc and online still work?
Since it's a JP-specific SKU, it only has Japanese on it.

Back
Top Bottom