• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Persona 3 Reload leaker says no Switch version planned, Metaphor unlikely too

No portable version means I'm skipping it, I have very little interest in playing a game like this sitting up on my PC. The most recent release of P5R was my first game in the series, Atlus is really dropping the ball here and letting potential new fans go. I have no doubt the Switch version of P5R sold well.

tokyo mirage session was mediocre that why it sold bad

Tokyo mirage sessions was one of the better games Atlus has ever made, and as a game that originally came out before p5, is a very clear half step between p4 and p5, albeit restricted to the kind of budget a game on the Wii U would have had.

That being said, the problems with soul hackers 2 wouldn't have been fixed at all with just a switch release, and there's not much reason treating the switch as if it's a magical cure-all that just pulls sales out of thin air. SH2 just wasn't a good enough game.

Unfortunate, but I have a backlog the size of Sweden, so it's not a huge loss.
given how the game was received, Switch probably wouldn't help it. they could make some cash back, but slightly shinier shit is still shit
This is the reality of the situation. Soul Hackers 2 could have sold well (or at least decently) if it were on Switch day 1, but nowadays it would be like "Hey, Switch owners, I have here a flop with a middling reception, just for you~". Not a particularly enticing proposition, really.

given how the game was received, Switch probably wouldn't help it. they could make some cash back, but slightly shinier shit is still shit
Yeah just like all the Compile Heart games on Switch. All of their games are mediocre at best, sell like shit on PS initially and get ported to Switch later on. We have two coming later this year.

Oh well, I guess. I'm way past the point where I actually tend to feel agitated because of.. interesting business decisions which I can't impact in the slightest. If they want my money, then give me a reason to do so. We're kinda back to square one, which means I'm gonna support developers who actually go the long way and work their asses off trying to get their games on the platform. :)

Yeah just like all the Compile Heart games on Switch. All of their games are mediocre at best, sell like shit on PS initially and get ported to Switch later on. We have two coming later this year.
And even they learnt as the previous 2 or 3 games released on ps and switch at the same time

The other thing is, it wasn't immediately clear how badly software sales on PS5 would fail to take off in Japan; ReFantazio has been in developed as project ReFantasy, for like, 6 years? At this point. We don't know how long Persona 3 Remake has been in the works, but it's certainly been rumoured since the 2018 Persona 3 dancing game, though surely not in development for that long.

Of the Atlus games announced from persona 5 royal onwards, 8/11 have ended up on or are confirmed for a release on Switch. I don't think it's some evil plan on Atlus part to exclude switch from new releases, it's just difficult to adjust project schedules and budgets to add on another platform while keeping everything else to schedule if it wasn't planned early enough. Soul hackers 2 is currently the only post p5r released Atlus game not on switch, after all.

Could we say that yeah, they should have targeted switch from the beginning? Sure, but hindsight is 20:20, if they're still not taking it in to account several years down the line, I'll give them a side eye, but I don't think it's a problem right now. They don't really have any choice in the matter if they don't want their major series to undergo a big sales contraction (since the total sales of p5+royal in Japan are probably approaching a million)

With all this focus on Japan and Japanese sales, doesn't Persona sell more in the rest of the world? It's not Dragon Quest. And being on Switch doesn't instantly guarantee success.

Compile Heart has nothing to fallback on. They either start building an audience elsewhere or they die (sooner). Atlus ain't got that problem

Can't say I'm not sad it's skipping Switch since that's my only platform (well I guess my laptop theoretically could handle it but I only use that to study) so I'll not get a chance to play the game.

I'm more baffled because it seemed like a sure thing since the P3-5 ports last year and the game clearly not being something Switch couldn't handle in a satisfactory level, unlike Metaphor.

A late port could still be in the cards but I'm not holding my breath for it nor expecting it.

I highly doubt it'll be coming for Switch 2 either, because they don't even have a reason for it. If they aren't aiming for Switch, they aren't aiming for a platform that's probably releasing like 6 months after the game and that wasn't even in the cards when the game was greenlit(common even a lot of Nintendo's games started development by 2019, no third party company realistically would know when a Switch 2 would come to start development for it) and probably wouldn't be passive of being developed until late in dev(that's assuming they even already have dev kits for it).

If it's a late port it'll likely be for both machines. If it doesn't happen, doesn't happen for either.

With all this focus on Japan and Japanese sales, doesn't Persona sell more in the rest of the world? It's not Dragon Quest. And being on Switch doesn't instantly guarantee success.

It doesn't guarantee it, but it is a prerequisite for the potential of it in the current Japanese market.

They could abandon it, of course, but a million+ sales needing to be made up elsewhere is a very difficult ask if you're trying to keep growing your franchise

so does Nintendo have to make deals with every third party game on switch or is it just Atlus wanting to feel special?

Steam deck is irrelevant to the conversation because as a device, it's unlikely to ever break 10m sold, let alone be punching in the weight class of the Switch. They're very different devices.

And even taking it in to account, p5 royal only officially supports Windows and not Linux, so it's not like they're directly supporting that device either.

And even they learnt as the previous 2 or 3 games released on ps and switch at the same time
Actually, this year's Neptunia GameMaker R: Evolution will be the first game that will come out on Switch and PS at the same time. All the previous titles received late ports for Switch, including the lasts years Neptunia Sisters vs Sisters, which will come out on Switch this August in Japan.

They did learn their lesson but it took 6 years...

so does Nintendo have to make deals with every third party game on switch or is it just Atlus wanting to feel special?

Microsoft is clearly paying to get games like Persona 3 Reload and Metaphor. Maybe they expect Nintendo to do the same? Problem is if that was the case Nintendo doesn't care. They don't need Persona. Microsoft on the other hand is desperate for Japanese games.

Japanese publishers need to be more serious about getting porting houses to work on switch versions. They are just leaving money on the table this way

The other thing is, it wasn't immediately clear how badly software sales on PS5 would fail to take off in Japan; ReFantazio has been in developed as project ReFantasy, for like, 6 years? At this point. We don't know how long Persona 3 Remake has been in the works, but it's certainly been rumoured since the 2018 Persona 3 dancing game, though surely not in development for that long.

Of the Atlus games announced from persona 5 royal onwards, 8/11 have ended up on or are confirmed for a release on Switch. I don't think it's some evil plan on Atlus part to exclude switch from new releases, it's just difficult to adjust project schedules and budgets to add on another platform while keeping everything else to schedule if it wasn't planned early enough. Soul hackers 2 is currently the only post p5r released Atlus game not on switch, after all.

Could we say that yeah, they should have targeted switch from the beginning? Sure, but hindsight is 20:20, if they're still not taking it in to account several years down the line, I'll give them a side eye, but I don't think it's a problem right now. They don't really have any choice in the matter if they don't want their major series to undergo a big sales contraction (since the total sales of p5+royal in Japan are probably approaching a million)
I think that’s the most sensible post in the thread. SEGA are not dumb. They have the numbers. They know where the Japanese market is ; games like Yakuza 7 or Soul Hackers 2 (heck, even Sakura Wars) probably would’ve sold better in Japan if they were released on the Switch day one.

Unless the Switch 2 is overpriced or has a really dumb gimmick, I don’t think the market in Japan will change much, and it’ll probably be easier in the future to develop games simultaneously for PS/Xbox and Switch. So I think it’s safe to assume that more and more SEGA games will be released on Switch day one in the future years. Especially since they’ll probably need that Switch money in the future. I love SEGA, but they’ll probably lose a whole lot of money on their “Super Games” strategy (those will surely not be released on Switch) if the rumors about them are true – but maybe I’m wrong and there’s actually a huge market for a AAA Jet-Set Radio, who knows.

Steam Deck has like a 3 hour battery life

You can bring a portable USB-C charger with you or something if you're playing it on a long trip/commute.

Like, I get that some people have a need to play these kinds of games portably. But I also don't really get the expectation that every mid-tier JRPG will come to Switch. That's never been the case, at any point in time, for any Nintendo platform. Even on the SNES there was plenty of stuff on the PC Engine (CD) and PC-88 that never came out. There will also always be devs that don't want to restrict themselves to weaker platforms because of their own artistic vision and technical limitations. Either you'll have to deal with it (and luckily, there are ways to deal with it) or not play the game if it's not that important. That's the reality of the situation. It sucks but being bitter about it on a forum no devs read won't change things.

Could we say that yeah, they should have targeted switch from the beginning? Sure, but hindsight is 20:20, if they're still not taking it in to account several years down the line, I'll give them a side eye, but I don't think it's a problem right now.
The devs did mentioned that they started late 2019 (seemingly as soon as P5R finished). And Re-Fantasy was announced August 2016 but given some commentary it seems it was restarted/rescoped along the way (funny enough in 2020 they were hiring for experience in portable consoles).

As far as we know, there are no internal Atlus games on docked ( ;)) for switch in the next calendar year (Tactica is outsourced, no way Pstudio is doing Tactica and P3R at the same time). Things could change, but yeah lets see how things play out.

Actually, this year's Neptunia GameMaker R: Evolution will be the first game that will come out on Switch and PS at the same time. All the previous titles received late ports for Switch, including the lasts years Neptunia Sisters vs Sisters, which will come out on Switch this August in Japan.

They did learn their lesson but it took 6 years...
IIRC the Fairy Fencer SRPG and Neptunia X Senran Kagura all released in japan in ps and switch at the same time,. only sisters vs sisters didn't

But yeah, at least they pay attention. The reason I don't find Atlus situation weird is because we have already the case of Bamco with their late ports of anime licensed games for switch, where all of them has sold way better than the original PS /PC release for years, and still they don't do switch launch versions.

Sucks I guess, but I can't do anything about it. Guess I won't play it tho.

You don't need a leaker to tell you what the lack of presence in the Direct told you
whats funnier is that this particular leaker was like "no switch version" with a vague other platforms to cover their ass then the listings popped up and suddenly "the switch version came to me in a dream" only to go back to no switch version post direct. brazen levels of bullshitting.

IIRC the Fairy Fencer SRPG and Neptunia X Senran Kagura all released in japan in ps and switch at the same time,. only sisters vs sisters didn't

But yeah, at least they pay attention. The reason I don't find Atlus situation weird is because we have already the case of Bamco with their late ports of anime licensed games for switch, where all of them has sold way better than the original PS /PC release for years, and still they don't do switch launch versions.
I'm pretty sure the Senran Kagura and Neptunia crossover came out on Switch a few months later, since I remember how many people were baffled it was a PS exclusive at first

The Demon Slayer game was peak Bandai Namco on this regard.

I mean...I'm not buying it because I want FeMC and I highly doubt Atlus will have the balls to make Ryuji-romancably with a male protag a possibility (forget the other male SEES members) so this just reinforces my decision to not buy P3R to be honest.

My biggest problem with this whole situation, and not for the first time, is the lack of transparency on the part of the industry. If they were to clearly communicate to us what the hold up is at this point in time, I could be a whole lot more understanding than I am in the current situation where we are on shaky speculative ground as to what the reasons for the lack of a port might be. This speculation is poisoning the discourse to some extent because we are moving into the realm of almost conspiratorial explanations.
After all, the only official and frankly mostly useless information is that it won't be released on the Switch at the current time. Wow, thanks for the info! 🙄

Not like this is anything new.

I'd bet dollars to donughts Sony has a contract clause that prevents P3 from coming to Nintendo systems or makes it difficult enough that Atlus doesn't want to bother.

Could it simply be, that the limited development resources they have limit how much optimization work they can do, and they other platforms are strong enough to simply brute force a lot of their technical problems? lets be honest, none of those games is pushing PS5s or even PS4s to the limit, but could break if run on a switch without actually optimizing somewhat.

There are developers that are technical wizards, and those that are good at developing, or creating specific experienced, but are just fine on the technical side.

(If this is closer to reality, then it means things could chance again when we get switch2?)

Honestly? I got Persona 5. That's all I wanted. And if I ever want to play Persona 3 the original version is on here too.
P3P is its own thing, though. It's based on the original version, but it's not the same thing as the original

that said, it  is the better version of the game, so you're in luck!

The Demon Slayer game was peak Bandai Namco on this regard.
Bamco has nothing to do with that game

I'd bet dollars to donughts Sony has a contract clause that prevents P3 from coming to Nintendo systems or makes it difficult enough that Atlus doesn't want to bother.
Nah. Simply Atlus only wants to do certain consoles. MS just pays to get in

Simply Atlus only wants to do certain consoles
That's definitely what it seems like. They believe Playstation is the primary platform for Persona, thus that's where they release it. Every other consideration is secondary.

The feeling of some devs/pubs, or rather some decision makers there, favor PS isn't new. Dunno the reasoning behind this, if it's some "loyality" through history / past decisions or happening or whatever.

I just hope this type of decision making is going to get fewer (or less, dunno the right word here) with more and more of the "old" guard transitioning off into other positions or into their end of work life.

Imo, decisions should always be made by market analysis (aka i'm not mad no one supported Wii U) and if you really think you're somehow "oblieged" to exlcusively work for one of the console makers, try to get a job there.

How so ?

Maybe you're fine sitting on a chair for 80 hours to play a JRPG but i'm not, those days are well behind me.

I don't have a steam deck nor do i desire one, i would have no use for it. I don't think it's a good portable device.
I just think it's a weird mentality to have because why stop yourself from playing a game just because you can't have it portable. Not once has that stopped me..however, again, I did say above to each their own.
I hate playing portable, especially the switch. I've only used it portable when my powers been out, but if a game I wanted released in an only portable fashion, I'd still play. So that's why I don't get it.

But you do you, that's fine, everyone's their own individual person.
Not everyone can afford multiple platforms.

Some of you tell on yourselves a little too much on this topic. 🙃
Yeah I don't think that's what they meant. They only want to play portable it seems. And that's fine.

Not everyone can afford multiple platforms.

Some of you tell on yourselves a little too much on this topic. 🙃

Could also be a time / TV availability thing.

Like, we're a fam of 5, the consoles are on the main TV in the living room. So it's not that easy finding a timeframe for playing on it.
Also, being in a fam of 5 ... you can understand that i have a lot of things to do outside of the work i'm being paid for. ;D

I legit wouldn't have been able to finish games like BotW or Xenoblade 3 if i was locked to TV play. It's a wonder i managed to beat Elden Ring within 6 months after launch. ^^

I just think it's a weird mentality to have because why stop yourself from playing a game just because you can't have it portable. Not once has that stopped me..however, again, I did say above to each their own.
I hate playing portable, especially the switch. I've only used it portable when my powers been out, but if a game I wanted released in an only portable fashion, I'd still play. So that's why I don't get it.

But you do you, that's fine, everyone's their own individual person.

Yeah I don't think that's what they meant. They only want to play portable it seems. And that's fine.
I mean, you did lead with ‘weird mentality to have’ before walking it back with ‘to each their own’. Preferring games on portables and not wanting to sit in front of a screen at home isn’t weird, in the same way that people preferring to sit in front of a Tv/monitor for dozens of hours isn’t a ‘weird mentality to have’ either, an opinion I presume you’d find a bit odd too. The only way I get through long rpgs is on portables where I can chip away at them on my commute or in bed, I haven’t even owned a home console/Pc for over a decade now and play more rpgs than ever, including most of Atlus’s games since.

Back
Top Bottom