• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Persona 3 Reload leaker says no Switch version planned, Metaphor unlikely too

Think this tweet has already been discussed in previous threads, but yeah, since P3R also didn't show up at the Direct, then there's no reason to assume P3R will come out on Switch. I don't know what Atlus is thinking, but it's their IP, it's their prerogative.

Atlus gonna Atlus lol.
But yeah, after no P3R on the last Direct I gave up on a Switch version happening. Maybe Japan sales tanking can make them reconsider doing a late port. If one isn't in the works already, but I won't get my hopes up.

At least we're back at speculating SMT games coming to Switch instead. Hopefully SMT IV remasters happen. And a sequel to V.

Well, obviously it's not going to be on Switch

..cause it's going to be on Switch 2!

but, yeah Atlus will follow its own logic, so no telling if it's ever going to be ported.

Well yeah. Once Persona 5 Tactica got confirmed for Switch and Persona 3 Reload didn't that was the end of the discussion. It's not coming to Switch, neither is Metaphor. I'm not going to hold my breath for them on the next console either. Hell, I'd bet both were PlayStation only until Microsoft starting making deals with Sega.

Persona 6 won't come to Switch either. PlayStation, Xbox, and PC. That's it.

more of a loss for Atlus than Nintendo but whatever wasn't planning on getting day 1 anyways due to missing content

Metaphor strikes me as a game they would save for Switch 2. P3R is definitely a strange exclusion though.

I’m guessing this will appear on Switch 2 with whatever the definitive version of the remake is at this point.

I don’t particularly care for either game, but it makes little sense for JRPGs at this point to skip appearing on what’s already one of the bestselling consoles of all time with a proven huge base for them, if they are capable of running on it at all (which P3 certainly is). Rather than waiting for an unannounced new system’s userbase to mature to a similar point. Still, Atlus gonna Atlus.

If Persona 3 Remake which is totally feasible is not launching on the biggest platform with a very active userbase, I doubt future hardware would make much difference. Switch is just not part of their mastah-plan and it's a risk they're willing to take.

Very late port seems like the best case scenario - P-Studio is probably a lost cause for Nintendo.

I wish I had the confidence some in this thread do. I can't even bring myself to be that sure of Dragon Quest XII coming to Switch/Switch 2.

Enix brand of SE is not P-Studio

Now we dont know when DQXII will release, it might be years off, so Switch or not - it's not going to miss out on next gen Nintendo hardware.
Also DQ has a long history of always releasing on the market leader.

I have said this before and I'll say it again, Switch 2/next gen won't change anything. This was a choice. Atlus/Sega have decided NOT to put their new games on Switch.

Remember, it has been confirmed that P3R started development in 2019 where Switch was already a roaring success and still didn't get the game.

Furthermore, P3-5 games were ported by Sega, not Atlus.

Essentially, the only games you can expect from Atlus are remasters of old games, SMT mainline and maybe just maybe port of the new games 2-5 years later.

Unless Nintendo pays Sega/Atlus or gets involved similar to SMTV, don't expect day 1 new games from P Studio and Studio Zero even on Switch 2.

I always said this, this is a late port. Most likely they'll begin porting after the game is out on the other platforms. Both Catherine and 13 Sentinels are late ports, Soul Hackers 2 will be one too, so will P3R.

I always said this, this is a late port. Most likely they'll begin porting after the game is out on the other platforms. Both Catherine and 13 Sentinels are late ports, Soul Hackers 2 will be one too, so will P3R.

Your posts always reads like copium lol. :p

Im not saying you make sense or not in regards to late ports, but just don't get your hopes up.

Im not saying you make sense or not in regards to late ports, but just don't get your hopes up
Hmm well historically most late ports don’t do as well as date and day releases, so if Atlus is planning to do that, it’ll be because Switch is lower priority for their P3R release strategy.

SH2 was a flop so it won't get a late port.

At least now, it feels better to wait until the inevitable definitive rerelease

Considering Metaphor doesn't have a release window yet, that's hardly surprising.

P3R I can easily see Sega saying "eff it" and putting in the successor which is expected to launch sometime next year. Which could work in their favor as the Vita showed people want lengthy RPGs for their new shiny and right now the Switch is absolutely flooded with them.

Regardless, I'm not too worried. If these come out on Nintendo then cool. If not, there's plenty of other options.

Seeing how Nintendo told Ubisoft to wait and release M+R 2 on the next console, it wouldn't be weird to have asimilar situation here, and more if the rumours of Nintendo wanting a strong line up for the launch year are true.

That said, atlus is atlus. After last year I thought we left behind this nonsense, but it seems we are in again. To me is simple, if they don't want to launch their game in the platform I like, I don't buy it. If the game was a powerhouse or a exclusive I could understand, but even the Xbox one is getting the game, so no excuses.

Seeing how Nintendo told Ubisoft to wait and release M+R 2 on the next console, it wouldn't be weird to have asimilar situation here, and more if the rumours of Nintendo wanting a strong line up for the launch year are true.

That said, atlus is atlus. After last year I thought we left behind this nonsense, but it seems we are in again. To me is simple, if they don't want to launch their game in the platform I like, I don't buy it. If the game was a powerhouse or a exclusive I could understand, but even the Xbox one is getting the game, so no excuses.
Nintendo has a stake in M+R since Mario's name is on it. they don't given nearly as much of a shit about a third party game they have no investment in. besides, a late release isn't going to help P3 on Drake anyway. late releases rarely ever do decent numbers compared to the first launch

People are still expecting Persona 3 Reload to come as a late port? Let it go people.
Sega said in 2021 that they would apply the same multiplatform strategy of the Yakuza series to Atlus. And what is this multiplatform strategy? PS/XB/PC. Couple this with SMT V Complete being a no-show on Direct, which means it will be a port with DLC/New Scenario only for PS/XB/PC, and Etrian Odissey team admitting that they never started development of the EO Next Switch game.

I think it needs repeating: Atlus had 3 teams that used to develop exclusively for Nintendo: Team Maniax, EO Team and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Team(Which is a mix of old Devil Survivor + other people). TMS #FE Team did a sequel to a 3DS game(Soul Hackers) and called it a new pillar for Atlus, but only released on PS/XB/PC. Atlus even marketed it as : "Available on all  Major platforms". EO Team literally admitted they never took Switch platform seriously and only started development of the new game recently (And there was already surveys asking if gamers would want EO on PS/XB). Team Maniax/SMT V is a big ??? right now, but if SMT V Complete is a PS/XB/PC game, the deal is done.

Let's face reality: Nintendo fans gave Atlus tons of money over the years. They made Atlus SMT even break 1+Million units. Yet the company is distancing themselves from Nintendo platforms and even preferring platforms such as Xbox, which is the worse platform for JRPG compared to every other.

Really, it needs saying: Don't expect anything from Sega/Atlus except Sonic and lesser titles. Switch is a 125+M platform (140 M projected) and its users shouldn't need to wait or port-beg games. Also don't expect Switch 2 to be a magical fix. If Switch with tons of users and revenue doesn't change their stance, increased hardware specs also won't.

There's tons of others games on the platform, specially JRPGs. Go enjoy these and reward publishers that take the platform seriously.

Last edited:
What even is the logic behind a statement/deduction like this? Any context? Anything?
SMT V was a title with direct involvement from Nintendo. From announcement to marketing and localization. Yet, the Complete Edition, which has been teased and leaked by a PS specific leaker, was a no show in the latest Direct despite the SMT concert being early next month. Couple this with the current direction Atlus is going for with their platform choices (PS/XB/PC) and there's high possibilities SMT V Complete skip Switch.

If this does happens, I'd argue even SMT IP has no future on Nintendo platforms, which just confirms Atlus current strategy.

People are still expecting Persona 3 Reload to come as a late port? Let it go people.
Sega said in 2021 that they would apply the same multiplatform strategy of the Yakuza series to Atlus. And what is this multiplatform strategy? PS/XB/PC. Couple this with SMT V Complete being a no-show on Direct, which means it will be a port with DLC/New Scenario only for PS/XB/PC, and Etrian Odissey team admitting that they never started development of the EO Next Switch game.

I think it needs repeating: Atlus had 3 teams that used to develop exclusively for Nintendo: Team Maniax, EO Team and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Team(Which is a mix of old Devil Survivor + other people). TMS #FE Team did a sequel to a 3DS game(Soul Hackers) and called it a new pillar for Atlus, but only released on PS/XB/PC. Atlus even marketed it as : "Avaialble on all  Major platforms". EO Team literally admitted they never took Switch platform seriously and only started development of the new game recently (And there was already surveys asking if gamers would want EO on PS/XB). Team Maniax/SMT V is a big ??? right now, but if SMT V Complete is a PS/XB/PC game, the deal is done.

Let's face reality: Nintendo fans gave Atlus tons of money over the years. They made Atlus SMT even break 1M. Yet the companyis distancing themselves from Nintendo platforms and even preferring platforms such as Xbox, which is the worse platform for JRPG compared to every other.

Really, it needs saying: Don't expect anything from Sega/Atlus except Sonic and lesser titles. Switch is a 125+M platform (140M projected) and its users shouldn't need to wait or port-beg games. Also don't expect Switch 2 to be a magical fix. If Switch with tons of users and revenue doesn't change their stance, increased hardware specs also won't.

There's tons of others games on the platform, specially JRPGs. Go enjoy these and reward publishers that take the platform seriously.
Great post.
I still don't get it though. I don't want to be an armchair analyst, but I don't fucking get it. The same with the Yakuza stuff. Stuff like COD I kindaaaa get it. They are hardware demanding games and maybe the audience is not there, but for jrpgs?
I don't fucking get it.

even preferring platforms such as Xbox,

To be clear, this specific bit is only happening because of Game Pass deals as we saw with Yakuza from Sega. Last year Microsoft promoted and advertised Persona 5 Royal more than all of its own games or any other Game Pass deal. They clearly are putting money into this for long term.

I think the situation about Mario Rabbids is more about it being a Mario game and Nintendo thinking it’s better for that spinoff to be one per console like most other Mario spinoffs so they can stand out better

In Atlus’ case you would think these would just be games that come out on the market leader no matter how late it is in the gen, just like they did on PS2, DS, 3DS… but that’s just not the case. The P3/4/5 ports were handled by Sega. Atlus just doesn’t give a fuck about the Switch and operates like it’s the PS2/Wii days. Playstation gets everything by default because that’s where the JRPG audience is (lol), Xbox gets it when they pay for it and because they want to be relevant overseas. Unless Nintendo pays Switch doesn’t get shit, wouldn’t surprise me if they thought that it being portable would compromise their game like the PSP did (which is an obvious lack of perspective). You would think Atlus would be the first of AA Japanese devs to properly support the Switch but they are simply not, they got beaten by NIS, Gust, Falcom, Spike Chunsoft… The people that made games for the Vita got their heads out of the sand but not Atlus.

At this point it’s very clear what it takes for Atlus do put their games on Nintendo, no amount of power will change that, we are talking about a developer that has never been cutting-edge and that blew up by making PS2 and PS3 games before their successors came out. Tbh I’m not losing sleep about their stupidity anymore, I got what I wanted last year

My hot take is that Atlus and any other developers can make games for whatever platform they want to make games for. I don't care if the game doesn't come to Switch and if the developers don't want to make a Switch version I'd rather it not.

Hey, I believe in silver linings, and if Persona 3 Reload doesn't come to the Switch or the Switch 2 or the Switch 3, that's finally another game I'll get for my Series S. Been wanting to boot it up more often, and this is the perfect excuse.

Seems pretty clear to me based on the tweet in the OP. Sales potential aside,Atlus needs money to exchange hands for certain games to come on certain platforms. The value may differ, but we know Xbox is paying.

Nintendo decided not to pay.

The may decide to pay later. The histrionics in this thread is a bit off putting tbh. Atlus isn't going anywhere. Neither is Nintendo. You'll be buying their games the minute they announce the next thing for Switch/Switch 2.

As for SMTV complete, it's still an unconfirmed rumor and it may still get announced in September, which is generally the 3rd party direct.

Hey, I believe in silver linings, and if Persona 3 Reload doesn't come to the Switch or the Switch 2 or the Switch 3, that's finally another game I'll get for my Series S. Been wanting to boot it up more often, and this is the perfect excuse.

This is why, if financially possible, Switch + Xbox or Switch + PlayStation is the way to go.

Some games will always skip Nintendo’s platforms even if they “make sense”.

This is why, if financially possible, Switch + Xbox or Switch + PlayStation is the way to go.

Some games will always skip Nintendo’s platforms even if they “make sense”.
It's the games that skip all three platforms that really give me a headache. 😅

I'm not convinced yet that Atlus (or rather Sega, given that the former seems more averse to multi-plat development//porting than the latter generally) will not bother with Switch or especially Switch 2 going forward. I'll need to see this supposed neglect materialising with more projects beyond SH2 and P3R to be convinced of there being a larger trend at work.
What I can totally at this point already imagine is Atlus in large parts still being rather PlayStation loyal, but we'll see how this plays out for them in the mid to long term, especially with how bad PS5 Software sales are for certain types of games//in certain regions.

As far as things stand right now, I can only say that there isn't enough evidence for me just yet to be too pessimistic about all of this.

Back
Top Bottom