• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion People with jobs, I have a question

How usually are you supposed a raise at your job? Yearly? Every few years? I've always wondered how it would work in a normal system.
Depends on the company. Personally, I get a yearly review and as long as I did my job well, I get a “merit raise”. It has never kept up with inflation so I’m perpetually losing spending power. 🤷‍♀️ My review this year was eight months late and I got a 4% increase, up from 3% last year. 🎉

Sometimes, upper management here will throw people a bone and give them a slight title change which typically comes with a more substantial salary increase separate from the one that accompanies the yearly review. Anecdotally, I’ll have been in IT for seven years next month so I’m really hoping they tack a “II” to the end of my current title at some point and give me that sweet, sweet 10% raise.

Yup, in my previous company I think I got 3 raises during 10 years (the second one was a substantial one though) so it varies

i would say in a company that is good to their employees, at least every year. at my old job (a company i did not like) i actually got two pretty substantial raises in the 2 years i was there, though the raises were from shitty pay to slightly less shitty pay... so...

Yearly - the beauty of living in a country with very very strong unions - with the occasional additional increase when my managers realize I do so much more shit than they think I do. But those additional increases are going to be harder going forward unless I change title or job.

I've been at my current job for a year and a half, and I've received one raise in that time frame. But right now my bigger concern is how the company is planning to change around the shift timings for the job.

Yearly. It never keeps up with inflation though - my raise this year was 3.5%, next year is scheduled to be 6% but inflation was 7.5% this year so I'm still behind. Only way to get an actual raise is to change jobs, I've changed twice in the past year and gotten raises of 10% and 15%.. Then my old places go on about retention rates being bad, like gee I wonder why?

I work in the public sector with a union, so my raises are annual and negotiated in 3 year spurts (minus COVID). Of course, our management drags their feet and it's really more like 3.5 years and we get a retroactive check to cover the pay raise.

We negotiated 14% over the past 3 years (don't remember the breakdown) so now we are on par with the units around us.

But my pay scale ends in 3 years so that's going to suck. We are hoping to negotiate better longevity bonuses (ideally % based).

How usually are you supposed a raise at your job? Yearly? Every few years? I've always wondered how it would work in a normal system.
My jobs have a yearly raise. You can negotiate pay raises but you should have a good reason for doing so (i.e. another job offer)

I live in Switzerland so different from the USA but it's normal to have a yearly increase which should at least match inflation and is negotiated by the union, could be additional raise at manager's discretion.
Unfortunately I have a "management" type contract which isn't covered by the union so I I've had less than 1% increase in 4 years (3x0%) which I'm quite pissed off with.

Every time they raise the minimum wage, which has been happening very frequently in Mexico as of late.

Back
Top Bottom