• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Pens, paper, inks and stationery |OT| Don’t call us, we write you!

Any recs for a weekly planner/notebook going into the new year? One with a monthly/days calendar inside would be nice.

I've had a day by day hobonichi techo the last two years and loved it. Now that my life is slowing down (in a good way!) I think a day by day (1page=1day) planner would be excessive for my needs.

Any recs for a weekly planner/notebook going into the new year? One with a monthly/days calendar inside would be nice.

I've had a day by day hobonichi techo the last two years and loved it. Now that my life is slowing down (in a good way!) I think a day by day (1page=1day) planner would be excessive for my needs.
Maybe try the Leuchtturm 1917 Weekly planner? It comes in different sizes and layouts, both horizontal and vertical planning. The quality of the paper is outstanding imo, but it has been a few years since my last Leuchturm notebook. Interesting is that it always come with some extra's like sticker tabs and extra pages for note taking.

I have to Techos for next year. One will be my journal. Still struggling to find a purpose for the other one since I also have a weeks for planning 😂

IMG-20231227-171859394.jpg

I have a Papier spiral bound weekly planner that I'm really enjoying. It runs the academic year, but I believe they sell calendar year versions. I'm a teacher so the academic ones work well for me. I like that there's two sections for each day; I use the "Today's Notes" section for the lessons I'm teaching and the main section for appointments and other reminders.

Happy New Year Famiboards!

September 2023 I fell into the hobby after a colleague of mine lended me his Roterfaden Taschenbegeleiter. There was something intrinsically satisfying about taking notes with pen and paper with it, hence I looked into different types of notebooks to put into the Taschenbegeleiter as well as more comfortable pens. Via Youtube (of course..) I discovered fountain pens, or tather re-discovered fountain pens because as a lefty I hadn't used one since elementary school. Still, some channels recommended fountain pens even for left-handed writers as different nibs and inks should prevent ink from smearing. A few evenings of research pushed me to purchase my first fountain pen: the Pilot Elite 95s with a fine nib and indeed it wrote beautifully and I didn't get ink stains all over the paper.

But it didn't stop there. For 2024 I wanted a fresh start with a planner and some notebooks. So I purchased notebooks from Roterfaden, Moleskine, Leuchtturm1917, Tomoe River, HEMA and Rhodia, tried inks from Lamy, Pilot and Pelikan and finally arrived at my setup for 2024: the A5 Roterfaden with the Roterfaden Planner as my agenda, Tomoe River notebook for taking notes and HEMA dotted refills for everything else.

ABLVV85f6l2OkxKrobddNsTDNQnWwna8nk9ZGM6ODMsDLQB4CsM5DmuYOOVqhelsNeIknwa3E8b7wTQrEMfERhtFow1kW4veuWpcEvy1rsAGyEzZvnklSsb4R6ohWl9dLNzeyIAH1dcsjomf9U0AR2sgT3f0Cw=w2312-h1580-s-no

Oh, and there's one more thing. I afforded myself one other pen as a gift to myself: the Visconti Homo Sapiens Crystal Dream.

Happy New Year Famiboards!

September 2023 I fell into the hobby after a colleague of mine lended me his Roterfaden Taschenbegeleiter. There was something intrinsically satisfying about taking notes with pen and paper with it, hence I looked into different types of notebooks to put into the Taschenbegeleiter as well as more comfortable pens. Via Youtube (of course..) I discovered fountain pens, or tather re-discovered fountain pens because as a lefty I hadn't used one since elementary school. Still, some channels recommended fountain pens even for left-handed writers as different nibs and inks should prevent ink from smearing. A few evenings of research pushed me to purchase my first fountain pen: the Pilot Elite 95s with a fine nib and indeed it wrote beautifully and I didn't get ink stains all over the paper.

But it didn't stop there. For 2024 I wanted a fresh start with a planner and some notebooks. So I purchased notebooks from Roterfaden, Moleskine, Leuchtturm1917, Tomoe River, HEMA and Rhodia, tried inks from Lamy, Pilot and Pelikan and finally arrived at my setup for 2024: the A5 Roterfaden with the Roterfaden Planner as my agenda, Tomoe River notebook for taking notes and HEMA dotted refills for everything else.

ABLVV85f6l2OkxKrobddNsTDNQnWwna8nk9ZGM6ODMsDLQB4CsM5DmuYOOVqhelsNeIknwa3E8b7wTQrEMfERhtFow1kW4veuWpcEvy1rsAGyEzZvnklSsb4R6ohWl9dLNzeyIAH1dcsjomf9U0AR2sgT3f0Cw=w2312-h1580-s-no

Oh, and there's one more thing. I afforded myself one other pen as a gift to myself: the Visconti Homo Sapiens Crystal Dream.
Nice! And that Visconti pen is absolutely awesome, I'm so jealous haha! Also, seeing your name a fellow Dutchie I presume lol

Last edited:
Setup my techo last night. The OG version is very different than the one they’ve been localized up to this point and I definitely need to rethink how I lay things out. Overall I like the added structure though!

Indeed, I recall your username from Button Bashers a few years ago :)
Yep true! I guess I still have a profile there but haven't posted there in years. I probably should since I remember them having quite a few interesting threads on older music equipment like samplers and stuff haha!

Anyone have recommendations for a monthly planner? I'm looking for a new one for the new year. I was using a Detective Conan themed Japanese planner last year. I prefer monthly over weekly or daily because I need to keep track of my school assignment due dates.

Anyone have recommendations for a monthly planner? I'm looking for a new one for the new year. I was using a Detective Conan themed Japanese planner last year. I prefer monthly over weekly or daily because I need to keep track of my school assignment due dates.
Maybe the Midori MD Monthly? It is a monthly planner, but you have extra pages for notetaking so you can add extra info on the assignments you have. Also the Maruman Mnemosyne A5 is very useful for keeping track of upcoming and ongoing assignments.

Maybe the Midori MD Monthly? It is a monthly planner, but you have extra pages for notetaking so you can add extra info on the assignments you have. Also the Maruman Mnemosyne A5 is very useful for keeping track of upcoming and ongoing assignments.
Thanks! I'll check those out.

I love my earthbound hobonichi and pilot vp!

KlHBg0i.jpeg
Hell yeah! I got back into doing a Hobonichi this year (I wrote in it every day for a year like, 10 years ago) and completely forgot how much I enjoy it. I still had my Onett cover from back then, so that's what I'm using!

How's that pen interact with the sort of paper the hobonichi has? I find it can be kind of easy to smudge, but i've never really experimented much with different pens on it.

Hell yeah! I got back into doing a Hobonichi this year (I wrote in it every day for a year like, 10 years ago) and completely forgot how much I enjoy it. I still had my Onett cover from back then, so that's what I'm using!

How's that pen interact with the sort of paper the hobonichi has? I find it can be kind of easy to smudge, but i've never really experimented much with different pens on it.
The problem with Tomoe River paper is that the ink on it dries EXTREMELY slow. However, all aspects of ink really shine on it, inclusing sheening and shading of fountainpen inks.

I recently picked up a few Platinum Preppy- and Platinum Plaisier pens and the more a write with them the more I take a loking to them. I always had a soft spot for starter pens but really, the Platinum nibs are something else.

Also, Preppy's now come with cool Maki-e designs making them interesting to collect since these designs are limited and just as cheap as regular Preppy pens.

Update:

So this year I spread out my planning and journalling over four books. I didn't know if I was able to keep up with so many books or even if it was needed but here we are, because it goes surprisingly well lol. This is my setu[ now:

• Hobonichi Techo A6 (English): This is my daily journalling book. For daily observations and musings
  • Hobonichi Techo A6 (One Piece edition): This is my media consumption tracking book. In this book I track daily what I read/watch/play and comment on it. Very barebbones but lots of fun
  • Hobonichi A6 Day free: (this is my 'everything else' journalling book. When I want to elaborate after daily journalling
  • Hobonichi Mega Weeks: Used for funtional planning. Used mostly for work
I hope I keep this up without it feeling like work, planning and journalling should be fun :)
I do write mostly nowadays and cut down on the washi and decorations, but might start that again when I want to fill empty spaces in my notebook.

What do y'all do with pages for days you missed? Bought a hobonichi a6 for this year thinking i'd actually fill it out but it's april now and i haven't touched it that much. I could just ignore the dates but wonder if there are better suggestions out there.

What do y'all do with pages for days you missed? Bought a hobonichi a6 for this year thinking i'd actually fill it out but it's april now and i haven't touched it that much. I could just ignore the dates but wonder if there are better suggestions out there.

"I missed January 1st I am ashamed"
"I missed January 2nd I am ashamed"

Just repeat that for each day you missed and you'll be less likely to do it in the future. (this is a joke don't do this)

In seriousness, ignore the pages or draw a doodle or write a quote etc on the page and put the date you wrote it so you know.

"I missed January 1st I am ashamed"
"I missed January 2nd I am ashamed"

Just repeat that for each day you missed and you'll be less likely to do it in the future. (this is a joke don't do this)

In seriousness, ignore the pages or draw a doodle or write a quote etc on the page and put the date you wrote it so you know.
Yep, other suggestions :
  • use pages for lettering practice
  • make ink swatches
  • create collages and moodboards for inspiration
  • add ephemera like tickets and receipts and date them with a small memory related to the ephemera

Back
Top Bottom