• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door |ST| A Classic Re_rinted!

I have been savouring this release ever so slowly, and just picked up Flurrie in chapter 2.

Having just finished PM64 a few days ago before starting TTYD, I've been trying some different tactics when I level up to focus more on FP and badges than I do health to get a little more of a challenge out of this. I remember way back, maybe it was on some GameFAQS strategy guide or forum post, but an idea was suggested that if you change your stats so that Mario's max health is 5HP, and put everything else into FP and badge points, you can make one helluva glass cannon build by loading up on Close Call, Power Rush, and Pretty Lucky to get the bonuses when you're technically always in danger in every battle.

Has anyone else tried that strategy, or am I just rambling insanity? I feel like I'm incidentally leaning that way as I'm already level 7 and I haven't boosted my HP once, but I also am missing some of those critical badges I need to make the most of it.

I have been savouring this release ever so slowly, and just picked up Flurrie in chapter 2.

Having just finished PM64 a few days ago before starting TTYD, I've been trying some different tactics when I level up to focus more on FP and badges than I do health to get a little more of a challenge out of this. I remember way back, maybe it was on some GameFAQS strategy guide or forum post, but an idea was suggested that if you change your stats so that Mario's max health is 5HP, and put everything else into FP and badge points, you can make one helluva glass cannon build by loading up on Close Call, Power Rush, and Pretty Lucky to get the bonuses when you're technically always in danger in every battle.

Has anyone else tried that strategy, or am I just rambling insanity? I feel like I'm incidentally leaning that way as I'm already level 7 and I haven't boosted my HP once, but I also am missing some of those critical badges I need to make the most of it.
No that's a major strat for challenge runs or speedruns.

The build is called Danger Mario and is memetic, it's absolutely beastly and completely obliterates anything in the game

ab5.png

No that's a major strat for challenge runs or speedruns.

The build is called Danger Mario and is memetic, it's absolutely beastly and completely obliterates anything in the game

ab5.png
Oh my god, A) I'm not crazy, and 2) meme potential

Maybe I'll focus on a vanilla-ish playthrough for my first time in a decade or so, but I'll absolutely gun for it next time in a year on Switch 2 haha

The worst part of danger Mario is setting it up. Every time you level up your hp gets restored, which means another grind of letting Mario get hit to 1 hp and hoping you get good rng and the ai doesn't keep attack your partner.

The worst part of danger Mario is setting it up. Every time you level up your hp gets restored, which means another grind of letting Mario get hit to 1 hp and hoping you get good rng and the ai doesn't keep attack your partner.
Danger Mario isn't properly doable until Chapter 7, and it's easy to set up. You're meant to ask Chet Rippo to downgrade your HP and reassign it to BP so that Mario's HP is permanently set to 5, which is not possible to do until Chapter 6 since you need Bobbery. You also don't get the ability to grind for Power Rush badges at the Pianta Parlor until you do the Trouble that gives you the Gold Card, which is only available starting Chapter 7.

Danger Mario is kind of lame to be honest. It's fun to do once just to say you did it, but if you're doing a BP run you're already decimating pretty much everything at that point when it's viable.

Assuming we get an iterative sequel to TTYD, how would you like or how do you predict the battle system to be expanded or changed, if at all?
I would love if it they allowed for a bigger party to be used in battle, something like big fables!
I think that would open a lot of room for new gameplay and strategy.

Not had as much time to play as I'd like so still on Chapter 3, hoping to get the chance to knuckle down though cause I'm definitely enjoying it.

Are the troubles really worth it though? They seem like boring fetch quests for the most part. One gave me a card for the Pianta Parlor so is it just a case of looking up the ones that actually give unique rewards?

Not had as much time to play as I'd like so still on Chapter 3, hoping to get the chance to knuckle down though cause I'm definitely enjoying it.

Are the troubles really worth it though? They seem like boring fetch quests for the most part. One gave me a card for the Pianta Parlor so is it just a case of looking up the ones that actually give unique rewards?
I did all of them, but the final four as they unlocked and I’m not even sure there are five worthwhile ones outside of getting rewards you want. It’s basically all busy work, though some of them do give you emails afterwards which is nice. The only two I actively recommend doing are Jolene’s request after chapter 3 (to unlock the super boss) and one where a Toad wants to meet Luigi after chapter 6 or 7. There are four that unlock arcade games, which I’d unlock at least for completion’s sake, but the minigames aren’t too hot imo.

I did all of them, but the final four as they unlocked and I’m not even sure there are five worthwhile ones outside of getting rewards you want. It’s basically all busy work, though some of them do give you emails afterwards which is nice. The only two I actively recommend doing are Jolene’s request after chapter 3 (to unlock the super boss) and one where a Toad wants to meet Luigi after chapter 6 or 7. There are four that unlock arcade games, which I’d unlock at least for completion’s sake, but the minigames aren’t too hot imo.
I agree with this mostly, use a guide and do the ones that unlock the mini games, the super bosses, and secret partner @Zellia

The big one to do is the one where someone asks you to find a rare badge after chapter 4 if you want to avoid the spoilers.

I agree with this mostly, use a guide and do the ones that unlock the mini games, the super bosses, and secret partner @Zellia

The big one to do is the one where someone asks you to find a rare badge after chapter 4 if you want to avoid the spoilers.
Ah forgot that was a request, absolutely do that one too.

Ah forgot that was a request, absolutely do that one too.
Mowz is absolutely awful so it's easy to see why you'd forget she's a gotten from a trouble :p it's arguably not worth the effort to get her outside of someone who wants to get 100% shines and star pieces without a guide

Assuming we get an iterative sequel to TTYD, how would you like or how do you predict the battle system to be expanded or changed, if at all?
I have two wishes:

1) Make Tattle not tied to a party member. If you care about journal entries at all, you need to have Goombella out like 80% of the time. This discouragement of experimentation is particularly obnoxious with chapter 3.

2) May be a hot take but I feel like BP should be a separate progression from level-ups. After a certain point, continuing to boost HP/FP is outright the wrong choice because BP is where all the interesting builds happen and there are HP/FP badges anyways.

@Zellia actually one more that’s 100% worth doing. You might find a cookbook while exploring in Chapter 4. While it’s obvious who to give it to, the character will just say you must accept their request to hand it to them which is weird.

Mowz is absolutely awful so it's easy to see why you'd forget she's a gotten from a trouble :p it's arguably not worth the effort to get her outside of someone who wants to get 100% shines and star pieces without a guide
I actually ended up using her more this playthrough than prior times as she was one turn faster taking out bullet bill launchers and chain chomps than my typical set up in the final area. Hope she enjoyed the like four fights I used her for lol. I did use her to get like three star pieces for art galleries I was close to unlocking naturally. I didn’t go for 100% otherwise there haha.

I have two wishes:

1) Make Tattle not tied to a party member. If you care about journal entries at all, you need to have Goombella out like 80% of the time. This discouragement of experimentation is particularly obnoxious with chapter 3.

2) May be a hot take but I feel like BP should be a separate progression from level-ups. After a certain point, continuing to boost HP/FP is outright the wrong choice because BP is where all the interesting builds happen and there are HP/FP badges anyways.
I'd still want tattles to be tied to a party member for the fun flavor dialog, I just don't want tattling to take up a turn in battle. On the field they should just let you use it and have the party member say their piece without them needing to be out

I'd still want tattles to be tied to a party member for the fun flavor dialog, I just don't want tattling to take up a turn in battle. On the field they should just let you use it and have the party member say their piece without them needing to be out
Honestly I kinda want tattles to be like bug fables where it's a dialog between characters in the party rather than one party member having fun flavor dialog. Don't get me wrong, I do love goombella's dialog, but I really would've loved interactions between party members.

Honestly I kinda want tattles to be like bug fables where it's a dialog between characters in the party rather than one party member having fun flavor dialog. Don't get me wrong, I do love goombella's dialog, but I really would've loved interactions between party members.
That actually sounds very good too, I also think it would have been nice if the party interacted with each other too instead of only Mario/NPCs

Currently at the end of Chapter 5/starting Chapter 6, and basically doing side-quest stuff and hunting down Shine Sprites.

Is upping base Defence in this game worth your BP or should I do the usual meta-min-maxing strategy of upping offence/defeating enemies first before you take any substantial damage? I found a good balance with using the Damage Dodge badge as it only takes up 2 BP compared to Defence Plus which takes up 5 BP. Also want to know if relying on Flower Saver/Flower Saver P is worthwhile.

Currently at the end of Chapter 5/starting Chapter 6, and basically doing side-quest stuff and hunting down Shine Sprites.

Is upping base Defence in this game worth your BP or should I do the usual meta-min-maxing strategy of upping offence/defeating enemies first before you take any substantial damage? I found a good balance with using the Damage Dodge badge as it only takes up 2 BP compared to Defence Plus which takes up 5 BP. Also want to know if relying on Flower Saver/Flower Saver P is worthwhile.
Unless you’re going for a challenge run, you don’t really need to play to the meta, just go with what works for you. In my experience, flower saver isn’t really worth it. FP is pretty easy to restore between items and Star Power abilities, and you’re never too far from an Inn or recovery block. Defense Plus is worth it for me because I usually go for Superguards and the insurance is worth it. Power plus and Power Plus P are basically the equivalent of a boots AND hammer upgrade (or a shine upgrade), so those are usually worth it if you have the badge points.
There’s very few things in the game you can’t shred through with power bounce/multibonk and power lift.

My current badges focus on boosting my damage and making Mario do more damage / take less damage / dodge attacks when he's at 5 hp or below since I've never increased his max hit points. :oops:

I have two wishes:

I feel like your second point would be resolved (at least partially) if the HP Plus and FP Plus badges were removed from the game, because they basically remove any reason from upgrading base HP or FP. Like, why would I waste a level-up on those stats when I could have the same (but more versatile as it can be swapped out) effect from BP?

Alternatively, HP Plus and FP Plus could be worth 4 BP each, rather than 3. That way, the game incentivizes upgrading base HP and FP stats, and there is a slight penalty for choosing the more “versatile” HP and FP increases through the badge system.

I just finished the game today, it was my first time playing The Thousand Year Door. I really did enjoy it a ton despite a few things I wasn’t a fan of, but I can see why it was so highly regarded.

Between The Origami King and The Thousand Year Door, I think I like The Origami King just a tad more.

Chapter 3 was definitely my favourite by far. I found the back and forth in the same areas to be pretty tedious with the respawning enemies, but it’s a minor complaint compared to the entire game honestly.

I agree that the way Tattle works is not ideal, but I'm not sure what solution I'd like exactly. Something that doesn't lock you so heavily to one character.

As for bold new concepts, I don't know how well it would work, but I'd be really curious to see what adapting Paper Mario's combat to Ikenfell's 3x12 grid would look like. The game has a much simpler battle system more comparable to Mario & Luigi, but the positioning adds another layer of strategy where every attack has a very particular range of squares it can hit relative to the user, and so the thing that really struck me about that was how it avoided repetitive encounters against the same enemies by requiring you to move differently every time and react accordingly. No two fights are the same, every single one is engaging.

I also think there needs to be a reckoning with RNG mechanics in some way. What makes Paper Mario unique from pretty much every other RPG is being almost completely devoid of chance. There are normally no percentage-based attacks, no crits and misses, no damage ranges. Everything is done with small, entirely predictable numbers, which makes it a very different experience from a highly reactive game like Dragon Quest. The only major factor of RNG in the original game is what attacks an enemy uses I think, in situations where they have more than one. But the fringes of TTYD introduce a lot of systems that are much more random, and these tend to be the weakest links. The worst partner attacks in the game are ones that take the form of fairly standard RPG abilities, with a chance to apply some status effect to enemies. The problem is, this is Paper Mario. You have to spend from your one very limited pool of FP, use one of only two turns you get per round, and execute an action command, for a chance at this move to apply a status effect that has a chance of preventing the enemy from attacking you the next turn.

The biggest one is probably the stage effects. They introduce the sort of chaos standard to other RPGs, but here it just comes off as the game randomly fucking you over or winning the fight for you because it's at odds with the level of precision the combat is otherwise built around. One point of damage or a single turn in which you cannot attack is a lot more meaningful here than it would be in other games, and it doesn't help that these things can occur in any context.

What I think the brilliant thing about TTYD's battle system is, by the way, is how it allows success to come from different avenues. This idea is at the core of the combat, even from the first game. On a basic level, you cannot succeed without a mix of both strategy and execution; your attacks will be entirely ineffective. This is what the jump/hammer dichotomy, the partner and badge systems, and the action commands are all about. The latter is the execution element, but the former create the formula of Paper Mario's strategy. Badges and swapping partners can change what moves are at your disposal, and it's up to you to solve the puzzle and identify the most efficient moves for dealing with whatever group of enemies you encounter.

TTYD adds many more additional complications into the mix. Like, many more. What makes this overcomplicated pileup of systems sing though is the increased ability to shore up a lack of knowledge in one area with another. I wasn't great at action commands, so I needed HP and defense more than a master at them would. I didn't use items much, but I made frequent use of Sweet Treat and Earth Tremor, providing me with the same healing and powerful AOE effects through a different avenue. Similarly, I never used Power Lift, but I was instead able to boost my attack and defense using badges.

This gets the game accused of being easy, which it maybe is a little bit, but I think it's also important to take into account the sheer complexity of the battle system as its own challenge. An expert with no restrictions can trample over the game in many different ways, but that isn't trivial to do, and it's by design that you simply don't need every system in this game because using them isn't free. Badges have to be obtained and require BP investment and devising a strategy around them for the truly broken ones. Items cost money, shops are not always at hand, and your inventory is very limited. If you want to heavily rely on special moves, you need to master their complicated inputs and work out a way of supporting your star power use through related systems, or they'll be ineffective and rarely usable. Being really good at action commands lets you put less emphasis on many other systems because they're a straightforward way of increasing your damage output and reducing the damage you take, albeit incredibly difficult to master. (On that note, I wonder if an all-or-nothing attack counterpart to the superguard would work...)

Perhaps its weakest point is that you can get through the game while only knowing a little bit here and there, which is the context in which the combat is at its least interesting. This is why I question if the level up choice of HP/FP/BP should exist at all, because especially in the first game where you have fewer alternatives, choosing anything other than BP simply makes for slower gameplay where you use raw numbers to win through attrition rather than really engaging with what the systems have to offer. The thought I had was to make badges the clear main focus of the battle system and possibly relegate upgrades to HP and FP to overworld exploration ala what the later games did I believe?

Also it could definitely use a built-in hard mode that isn't afraid to push the battle system to its limits, because most of TTYD is perfectly doable without engaging with it too much, except for the difficulty spikes at the end of the Palace of Shadows and the Pit of 100 Trials. The former of which is particularly awkward. I assume that "you can get through the game while only knowing a little bit here and there" notion was intentional since the game doesn't give you any advice on how to use most of its mechanics practically, and some concepts like the different behavior of the audience member types go entirely unmentioned. It's a strange situation where the vast majority of the game's combat systems are more like a bonus for the ancillary audience to figure out for themselves, while kids are expected to just stick to the basics (and then get fucking destroyed by the boss rush at the end).

I can’t get the email for the second super boss to pop up :(

Edit: anddd of course it pops right as I post

lmao this is great, the song gets progressively unlistenable as if it’s actively mocking you

Fair play since Peach leads by telling TEC he has no moves.

The warp pipe room is new to this version of the game, right? I'm currently in Chapter 7, and I just completed the mission to find General White. Doing that without the room seems like it would have been tedious and added at least 30 minutes to playtime.

Last edited:
I've never played this game before. There is an early side quest to go to the 100 Trials thingy and retrieve some Toad's dad. That took me 2 real world days to get to.

I didn't want have to replay this section of the game later, so I fought all the way to the bottom. This was not significantly hard, but it was time consuming as fuck another real world 3 days. Constant leveling up made healing easy, I gained like 10+ levels on the way down, or more, I leveled up right before fighting Bonetail.

Bonetail is so much harder than the entire fucking dungeon, and once you lose to her, you can't change your badges, you can't do anything but die over and over again, or lose 5 days worth of work and 10 levels up and almost as many badges. So I google around for strategies. Almost all of them require abilities I don't have (I just finished chapter 4).

I finally gave up after my tenth attempt to defeat her. Nearly a weeks worth of in game investment, gone. All the levels and badges gone. I have never come this far into a game only to put it away, but the sheer spike of that difficulty curve put me off of this game entirely. I'm so upset.

I've never played this game before. There is an early side quest to go to the 100 Trials thingy and retrieve some Toad's dad. That took me 2 real world days to get to.

I didn't want have to replay this section of the game later, so I fought all the way to the bottom. This was not significantly hard, but it was time consuming as fuck another real world 3 days. Constant leveling up made healing easy, I gained like 10+ levels on the way down, or more, I leveled up right before fighting Bonetail.

Bonetail is so much harder than the entire fucking dungeon, and once you lose to her, you can't change your badges, you can't do anything but die over and over again, or lose 5 days worth of work and 10 levels up and almost as many badges. So I google around for strategies. Almost all of them require abilities I don't have (I just finished chapter 4).

I finally gave up after my tenth attempt to defeat her. Nearly a weeks worth of in game investment, gone. All the levels and badges gone. I have never come this far into a game only to put it away, but the sheer spike of that difficulty curve put me off of this game entirely. I'm so upset.
Respect your determination, since i'm currently in the sixth chapter, i'll probably to the pit challenge, when i'm at the final part of the game.

The warp pipe room is new to this version of the game, right? I'm currently in Chapter 7, and I just completed the mission to find General White. Doing that without the room seems like it would have been tedious and added at least 30 minutes to playtime.
It's overhauled to be more convenient than previously, but it's not new outright.

In the original, it was two rooms with two pipes each. The first had the pipes to Petalburg and Boggly Woods blocked by a Super Hammer block; the second had the pipes to Keelhaul Key and Poshley Heights locked behind an Ultra Hanmer block. The pipes all lead to the exact same spots as the remake's equivalents, except Keelhaul Key which used to go one screen to the right of the settlement. There were no pipes to chapters 3, 4, or 7 (likely because the 4/7 main pipes are very close by anyway, and chapter 3 was probably due to the fictional world logic of Glitzville floating). There was also no pipe back up to central Rogueport.

Replacing the blocks with the Crystal Star trigger means you get all but the chapter 6 pipe earlier (they also originally blocked Shine Sprites, hence their presence in the remake). There's also no need to leave the sewers halfway through the chapter 7 sequence to go to Glitzville.

That's... pretty unfortunate. The pit is classic mid-aughts unforgiving game design, and Bonetail was the original hardest challenge in the game. The lack of a retry option in the original made it difficult to get that far in the first place that early, and was supposed to scare you off earlier, but that's all out of whack now. Sorry that happened.

Dang, sorry to hear that. But honestly I’m genuinely shocked, Bonetail should be doable if you were able to get through those last 10 floors. Those enemies are harder than anything in the final dungeon, whilst Bonetail has the exact stats of one of the final dungeon’s bosses just more HP.

But yeah, in general would’ve just bailed after saving the dad. Those first few floors would’ve gone by way quicker once you leveled up in the main story a bit more.

I'm sorry.

This anecdote is actually a great example of why the "restart from last scene" and restarting from every tenth level of the Pit is a fairly bad change from the original. In the original, you couldn't just brute force your way to bottom of the Pit as easily, so by the time you got to the bottom, you were likely prepared to take on the boss.

Thanks. I didn’t retry to get to the bottom though - I didn’t realize you could retry till I hit Bonetail, it was my first game over. Is there some other difficulty reduction? Sweet Treat + the fact that I gained a level every third floor over the last 30 floors was sufficient. Art attack is enough to end almost all the battles entirely, and with the constant leveling I was constantly healed up and at full star power.

I hit double stars stars a couple time from Merlee’s spell, so I maybe lucked through in some places I shouldn’t have.

Ah, that's different altogether then. I'm surprised you got to the bottom without a single game over at just after Chapter 4 lol

It's overhauled to be more convenient than previously, but it's not new outright.

In the original, it was two rooms with two pipes each. The first had the pipes to Petalburg and Boggly Woods blocked by a Super Hammer block; the second had the pipes to Keelhaul Key and Poshley Heights locked behind an Ultra Hanmer block. The pipes all lead to the exact same spots as the remake's equivalents, except Keelhaul Key which used to go one screen to the right of the settlement. There were no pipes to chapters 3, 4, or 7 (likely because the 4/7 main pipes are very close by anyway, and chapter 3 was probably due to the fictional world logic of Glitzville floating). There was also no pipe back up to central Rogueport.

Replacing the blocks with the Crystal Star trigger means you get all but the chapter 6 pipe earlier (they also originally blocked Shine Sprites, hence their presence in the remake). There's also no need to leave the sewers halfway through the chapter 7 sequence to go to Glitzville.

That's... pretty unfortunate. The pit is classic mid-aughts unforgiving game design, and Bonetail was the original hardest challenge in the game. The lack of a retry option in the original made it difficult to get that far in the first place that early, and was supposed to scare you off earlier, but that's all out of whack now. Sorry that happened.
Thanks. I didn’t retry to get to the bottom though - I didn’t realize you could retry till I hit Bonetail, it was my first game over. Is there some other difficulty reduction? Sweet Treat + the fact that I gained a level every third floor over the last 30 floors was sufficient. Art attack is enough to end almost all the battles entirely, and with the constant leveling I was constantly healed up and at full star power.

I hit double stars stars a couple time from Merlee’s spell, so I maybe lucked through in some places I shouldn’t have.

I did it… I completed the game 100%! I’ve had such a blast with this game and I’m sad it’s over. Easy 10/10 for me, and I can’t see anything else becoming my GOTY. Hats off to Nintendo and Intelligent Systems… they knocked it out of the park.

(At least… I think I completed it 100%! Can anyone look at this list and let me know if there’s anything I’m missing? Spoilers obviously)

• Beat the main story
  • Complete Tattle Log
  • Complete Badge List
  • Complete Recipe List
  • Attained Gold Medal badge
  • Completed every Trouble
  • Got every Star Piece
  • Got every Shine Sprite
  • Played all Pianta Parlor minigames
  • Attained Superstar level (30+)
  • Each partner (including Ms. Mowz) fully leveled up
  • All Super Luigi books purchased (completing title screen with Luigi easter egg)
  • Listened to all of Wonky’s tips
  • Listened to all of Grifty’s stories
  • Defeated Prince Mush and Whacka superbosses
For those interested, playtime is 60 hours and 11 minutes

Oh - I somehow managed to misread "I just finished chapter 4" as "the strategies I read about aren't available until after Chapter 4". I assumed you were doing the trouble when it opened up two chapters earlier, and was pretty impressed you made it to the bottom that early on a first playthrough lol. If you have Art Attack and half decent BP, then yeah, it's not too hard to get to the bottom by that point. If you knew what you were getting into beforehand, you probably could've taken Bonetail, but that's the nature of it.

Yeah Pit of 100 Trials is meant to be a late-game or post-game challenge.

Oh - I somehow managed to misread "I just finished chapter 4" as "the strategies I read about aren't available until after Chapter 4". I assumed you were doing the trouble when it opened up two chapters earlier, and was pretty impressed you made it to the bottom that early on a first playthrough lol. If you have Art Attack and half decent BP, then yeah, it's not too hard to get to the bottom by that point. If you knew what you were getting into beforehand, you probably could've taken Bonetail, but that's the nature of it.
Yeah Pit of 100 Trials is meant to be a late-game or post-game challenge.
I think this is a personal failing, to a degree. Some part of my brain thinks these things are supposed to be completed as soon as they open up and doesn't recognize them for what they are. I only played Skyrim for the first time a few months ago, and spent 100 hours completing what I became convinced was a major chunk of the story, only to discover I'd wandered off into DLC that was included in the Switch version, and had never touched the main campaign.

By the time I figured it out, I was OP, but also couldn't remember the story, so I turned the game off and never came back. If I see a challenge, I think "I'm supposed to do this now" unless it's literally item gated like a Metroidvania.

I think this is a personal failing, to a degree. Some part of my brain thinks these things are supposed to be completed as soon as they open up and doesn't recognize them for what they are. I only played Skyrim for the first time a few months ago, and spent 100 hours completing what I became convinced was a major chunk of the story, only to discover I'd wandered off into DLC that was included in the Switch version, and had never touched the main campaign.

By the time I figured it out, I was OP, but also couldn't remember the story, so I turned the game off and never came back. If I see a challenge, I think "I'm supposed to do this now" unless it's literally item gated like a Metroidvania.
I understand that mentality very well! RPGs have only hammered this in further, as so many have side quests that become boring cakewalks if you do them too late. (To that end, I adore Xenoblade DE's expert mode that lets you convert levels back into unused experience at will, and I think most RPGs would benefit from this.)

I'd chalk this one up to a mix of personal dedication they didn't expect, and a lack of sign posting how things work on their part. The only sign you had that maybe things were off was the fact that you were leveling up every few floors, but that also made it easier to get through, which works against warning you.

It's a tough one because I appreciate that it's available as soon as you have Paper Mode if you want to really challenge yourself, but it feels like they didn't quite do enough to avoid situations like yours where you sank the time of a full run through in an attempt that was basically doomed from the start.

I mean, I guess if you REALLY wanted to you could’ve gone full action game and learned all the superguard timings. I’m not sure how hard that is for Bonetail though.

I know it may sound annoying after you gave up, but I REALLY believe you could’ve done it @oldpuck 😭 only after Chapter 4 Floors 80-99 without dying at all is still WAY more impressive than Bonetail on her own imo. I’m curious to know what was making it hard with your setup compared to the Elite Wizzerds etc. prior?

I mean, I guess if you REALLY wanted to you could’ve gone full action game and learned all the superguard timings. I’m not sure how hard that is for Bonetail though.
Bonetail has one of the only moves in the game that can't be guarded at all (the bite), so it's probably pretty damn hard without some serious attack power to get through that massive health bar before you succumb to unblockable damage. Doable, people do level zero challenge runs of this game, but insane.

Only the final boss and maybe Grodus are harder fights, not counting the new ones in the remake.

I know it may sound annoying after you gave up, but I REALLY believe you could’ve done it @oldpuck 😭 only after Chapter 4 Floors 80-99 without dying at all is still WAY more impressive than Bonetail on her own imo. I’m curious to know what was making it hard with your setup compared to the Elite Wizzerds etc. prior?
Probably the immunity to Clock Out, plus the big health bar. I would open with Clock Out, use Fiery Jinx to set everyone on fire and do some decent damage. Then I would sweep up anyone who wasn't stunned, Mario would Appeal like crazy, and Vivian would use Shade Fist to keep everyone on fire. The Wizzerds would get stuck in a loop where they're on fire, they attempt to duplicate themselves, then the fire damages all of them, revealing the real one, and then they never act. I'd grind them away, one point of damage a round while on fire, refilling my star meter, or running Sweet Treat if things were bad.

The 98th and 99th floor were rough, but the Dazees ran off, and I had the Lucky badge, and I managed to still level up on floor 99. I honestly didn't expect a boss below, I probably could have tweaked the badge build, but I just don't know how I can survive for the last 100 points of damage or so.

Whoo! Just beat Prince Mush on my third try! Without ever super guarding lmao. My masterplan worked. I first wittled down his health to just before he gets to phase 2 and then charged Vivian for 25 turns straight, landing the final blow of 53 damage to skip phase 2 entirely 🤣. Can recommend to anyone who is struggling, it's really easy, tho maybe slightly time-consuming. Maybe I'll try it in a proper way in the future

You super guard with B instead of A?!
Uh... yes? lmao

The idea is that it's higher risk/reward, it's not just a bonus for timing a guard exceptionally well. You have to choose to Superguard, and if you don't get the tight timing, you don't get a guard at all.

Uh... yes? lmao

The idea is that it's higher risk/reward, it's not just a bonus for timing a guard exceptionally well. You have to choose to Superguard, and if you don't get the tight timing, you don't get a guard at all.
Makes sense yeah. But as you said, I thought it was a bonus during my entire playthrough

we need a lot of recovery itens and itens that allow you to attack multiple foes, and partners upgraded to at least Super Rank.

So.... is it not possible to skip phase 1 of the final boss fight? I just lost and now I have to go through all those cutscenes and dialogue during the battle? Ugh.

50 hours, credits rolled.

Good game.

Best in the series? Hmm. Maybe. There are elements of Color Splash I still prefer, and the combat actually shares a lot of similar downsides. I wasn't even at Superstar rank and too much of the late game was 1 Star Point enemies not worth fighting that simultaneously ate resources, which is essentially the same problem as Color Splash, where the incentive becomes to avoid fights.

I'd say they're co-winners for me. Where one falters the other gains, and vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom