• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) | Review Thread

If people only played Paper Mario for the JRPG gameplay it'd just be lacking in other areas.
We did not come out at the end of the other side of being treated as Nintendo babies for singing the praises of these truly unique games, only to forget how Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario 64 (and eventually the Mario & Luigi series) did it right
I'm being flip about the whole thing for sure, and hey if it truly bothers some people who am I to say it shouldn't. But I do just find it really weird that it's such a point of discussion around this game when it may very well be close to dead last in terms of my personal priorities for the series. Not saying I wouldn't take "better level design" (as subjective as that is) but to me things like the actual locations you're being taken to and the scenarios that happen there matter way more for this series than "oh well this just is kind of too much of a hallway"

Combine that with the fact that... idk on the whole I like the level design of the game! Towns are all great, secrets are well hidden and fun to discover, and really the only thing it doesn't absolutely nail are those more corridor like segments. But again priority wise towns and secrets rank way higher for me on the list of "things that should be good in an RPG" anyway.

I left to go play Monster Hunter and come back to (unsurprisingly) find yet another staff note on a Paper Mario thread. I’m just disappointed things have to be this way. This remake even existing should be cause for celebration, much less these great review scores. But people still feel the need to be bitter and drive by with comments like “Modern Paper Mario fans finally get to see what a GOOD game is like lmaoooo” which just adds nothing to the conversation. And then there’s the baffling take in this thread that people taking every opportunity they can to trash the newer games is just NOT a thing that happens in this fanbase??? Huh????

Anyways I don’t have much to say on TTYD’s pacing or level design because I haven’t played it yet. But it is impressive that this is reviewing higher than the original release. Does that happen often, for faithful remakes at least?
It depends on the remake in question. TTYD is, by all accounts, very faithful to the original experience with some additional smaller features and a revised script. If you liked the original, you'd probably like the remake unless you were hoping for significantly more substantial additions or aren't interested in a remake that is 99% the same.

Anyways I don’t have much to say on TTYD’s pacing or level design because I haven’t played it yet. But it is impressive that this is reviewing higher than the original release. Does that happen often, for faithful remakes at least?
The only other one I can think of is Tropical Freeze. Seems to really only be possible for games whose reception has significantly improved or grown since the original release, provided said remake/ster didn’t fuck anything up.

And although it was technically a drop (from 97 lol), Prime Remastered maintaining 94 is still impressive as fuck imo.

The only other one I can think of is Tropical Freeze. Seems to really only be possible for games whose reception has significantly improved or grown since the original release, provided said remake/ster didn’t fuck anything up.

And although it was technically a drop (from 97 lol), Prime Remastered maintaining 94 is still impressive as fuck imo.
Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe

Sure you can find better level design in other games, and better battle systems in other JRPGs, but it’s the combination of action adventure level design and JRPG battles that make the first three Paper Mario games special imo.

It’s really cool to have a JRPG where the field feels interactive in a classic Zelda way. With Partners, hammer and “curses” acting like dungeon items for traversal and puzzles.

The later games axed the JRPG part, but origami king improved on the action-adventure level design. So yeah if we could get that in the next game combined with TTYD’s battle system but improved and fleshed out even further, we’d be in for a true all-timer.

Plenty of remasters score better than their originals; Tropical Freeze, Persona 4 Golden, Persona 5 Royal, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, etc.

You'll find no such thing as "consistency". Games are reviewed by different people, and if not they're always in the specific context of when it's being experienced.

Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe
Technically Mario Kart 8 went from an 88 MC on Wii U to 92 MC on Switch.

For further inciting meta-arguments about Paper Mario, ignoring the staff post, you are permanently threadbanned. Repeating this in the ST will be subject to further moderation. - Zellia, TC, ISD, BF, BLG, LA, MB
Sure you can find better level design in other games, and better battle systems in other JRPGs, but it’s the combination of action adventure level design and JRPG battles that make the first three Paper Mario games special imo.

It’s really cool to have a JRPG where the field feels interactive in a classic Zelda way. With Partners, hammer and “curses” acting like dungeon items for traversal and puzzles.

The later games axed the JRPG part, but origami king improved on the action-adventure level design. So yeah if we could get that in the next game combined with TTYD’s battle system but improved and fleshed out even further, we’d be in for a true all-timer.
My ideal Paper Mario would be to take TOK's level design and plop it into a Paper Mario 3. Continue exactly from where PM64 and TTYD left off.

edit: talking about game design preferences is "inciting meta-arguments"? Not my fault belligerent posters repeatedly assume the literal worst intentions in every post.

Last edited:
Please stop dismissing the later games like this.
Why? If someone doesn't like them then that's it. Nothing was rude about what that poster said. I would also love if they scrapped the new trilogy entirely and went back to how the first games were, Super included. Sticker Star on lost what I liked about Paper Mario, so if they peaced out on that and made games like before I'd be happy.

89 is the perfect score. Now TTYD will take its rightful place alongside Fire Emblem Three Houses, Xenoblade DE, and Xenoblade 3 as another top tier first party Switch JRPG.

"...plop it into a Paper Mario 3."
Was Monolithsoft being dismissive of XCX fans when they called Xenoblade Chronicles 2... Xenoblade Chronicles 2

It's just a shorthand meaning "a third paper mario similar in style to the first two" I don't think it was meant to be that serious

Why? If someone doesn't like them then that's it. Nothing was rude about what that poster said. I would also love if they scrapped the new trilogy entirely and went back to how the first games were, Super included. Sticker Star on lost what I liked about Paper Mario, so if they peaced out on that and made games like before I'd be happy.
Thank you!

I would never spend much time on arguing about the series‘ direction or anything like that, but I think it’s totally fine to prefer the first two games and talk about why they are important for someone. I mean, that’s why people are happy about this remake in the first place, it’s because some people enjoy the first two games more, and there wouldn’t be as much hype about it if the series follows that formula (the remake would probably not even exist).

It might surprise many of you given my profile picture, but the first Paper Mario I‘ve played was Sticker Star, and it’s also my second favorite game of the franchise. There’s a lot I that like about this game, but I myself think that the older games are a better way for the series because I care a lot about the story. I think it’s possible to discuss this series without having only two sides that constantly attack each other.

It’s more complicated than that. I know people who like only the first two games. I know people who prefer Super. Then there are people who hate Sticker Star, but love Color Splash.

Alright we're gonna pretend that saying Paper Mario 3 isn't a continuation of the toxic narrative that the modern Paper Mario games are not true Paper Mario games. Got it.

Time to put this thread on ignore lol.

I'm pretty sure i've also used the term Paper Mario 3 as a shorthand here and there. Didn't know I was making a political statement with that. hot damn...

Would be pretty funny if Nintendo does make a new Paper Mario RPG and they do really call it Paper Mario 3 just to communicate that it's more like the first two. That would really make my day.

That's exactly what I meant.
Personally, That example doesn’t work honestly. Xenoblade X is a separate continuity to Xenblade number titles, even Monolith implied this. While Paper Mario is following a singular path. Saying Paper Mario 3, it doesn't come off as “series goes back to Style of first 2” it comes off as ignoring what comes after and that’s already a contested topic on the Paper Mario series.

Because in the end. All the Paper Mario games are adventures. The style itself is the same, just gameplay functions differently. Like the topic of if it’s an RPG or not.

Like, I get what you were trying to say. But it doesnt come off that way. And you already mentioned “real paper Mario is back” earlier. So you can see where the frustration is coming from.

I really don't see where the frustration is coming from tbh.

"Paper Mario like the first two." gets a bit tiring after a while to type.

Saying TTYD2 runs the risk of having you labelled as a "checks notes" "TTYD Militant" or “TTYD People” because that's a thing I learned exist today. So, I won't be using that.

So, idk call me crazy if you want but I personally really like the label "Paper Mario 3" as a shorthand to a new game that returns to the RPG formula. It lets the reader immediately know what people mean and it doesn’t dismiss newer games. It’s a nice compromise. Not like dismissing any game is some crime to begin with. lmao. If someone gets “frustrated” at that then that’s on them.

“Paper Mario 3” sounds like a perfectly fine shorthand to describe a game more in line with the first two games to me…

Like the later games are not continuations of the first two. That’s not being dismissive, they’re literally not RPGs anymore. If anyone says they want a true Paper Mario 3, I fully understand what they’re referring to.

I really don't see where the frustration is coming from tbh.

"Paper Mario like the first two." gets a bit tiring after a while to type.

Saying TTYD2 runs the risk of having you labelled as a "checks notes" "TTYD Militant" or “TTYD People” because that's a thing I learned exist today. So, I won't be using that.

So, idk call me crazy if you want but I personally really like the label "Paper Mario 3" as a shorthand to a new game that returns to the RPG formula. It lets the reader immediately know what people mean and it doesn’t dismiss newer games. It’s a nice compromise. Not like dismissing any game is some crime to begin with. lmao. If someone gets “frustrated” at that then that’s on them.
I don't think it's like some terrible, unforgivable atrocity to call a hypothetical new Paper Mario in the style of old Paper Mario "Paper Mario 3". At the same time, there is a pretty recent history of fans of TTYD belittling fans of the games post-TTYD, so I can understand why the immediate reaction to your post is not entirely positive.

Like the poster below you said, Paper Mario RPG gets the message across pretty well. You're not going to get a lot of argument that SS, Color Splash, or TOK are RPGs.

There's got to be more interesting discussion than what the most polite way of saying "sequel like PM64/TTYD" is lol this is hilarious

I'm pretty sure i've also used the term Paper Mario 3 as a shorthand here and there. Didn't know I was making a political statement with that. hot damn...
I think it's understandable to use as a short hand for "Paper Mario more like the first two" but you've got to take the usage in context.

On a broad level, there is a fairly well-established history of some parts of the fandom insisting that games in the series from SPM onwards don't count as real Paper Mario games, which is needlessly dismissive and tends to come across as fairly entitled (i.e. "only games that cater to my tastes count").

Indeed, the first post in this thread of the user who first said "Paper Mario 3" was "Real Paper Mario is back!", so I think the interpretation that her usage of "Paper Mario 3" as a continuation of this inflammatory rhetoric is reasonable and justified.

I don't really follow the twitter or youtube stuff people talk about that discusses this sort of stuff outside of here but at least as far as this forum is concerned i've seen WAY more people complaining about us fans of the older games than complaining about the newer ones(especially recently since there hasn't been a new one in a few years)

honestly it really feels so out of proportion most of the time, I keep seeing stuff like 1 or 2 posts that are maybe a bit dismissive of the newer games be followed by way more than that complaining about not only the original comment but often complaining about us people that prefer the older games as a whole

At first I thought “how the hell did a review thread get this long already” and then I remembered this is also a Paper Mario topic.

For further inciting meta-arguments about Paper Mario, ignoring the staff post, you are permanently threadbanned. Repeating this in the ST will be subject to further moderation. - LA, Zellia, mb, T_C, BF, ISD, blg
I don't think it's like some terrible, unforgivable atrocity to call a hypothetical new Paper Mario in the style of old Paper Mario "Paper Mario 3". At the same time, there is a pretty recent history of fans of TTYD belittling fans of the games post-TTYD, so I can understand why the immediate reaction to your post is not entirely positive.

Like the poster below you said, Paper Mario RPG gets the message across pretty well. You're not going to get a lot of argument that SS, Color Splash, or TOK are RPGs.
Indeed, the first post in this thread of the user who first said "Paper Mario 3" was "Real Paper Mario is back!", so I think the interpretation that her usage of "Paper Mario 3" as a continuation of this inflammatory rhetoric is reasonable and justified.

I would, maybe agree with you if this was a concern raised by anyone other than Hailinel, who from personal experience I don't think is doing all this in the best of faith. And the other poster who said was going to put this thread on ignore, kept reading it afterwards. So maybe it's just me, but I find complaints from such individuals hard to really take seriously after a whille due to behaviour like this.

Anyway, still feel Paper Mario 3 is fine, especially since Super Paper Mario is also an RPG and shares many similarities with the first two but I don't really want another game like that one personally. So, Paper Mario 3 is perfectly acceptable imo and always was.

I don't think the poster that Hailinel responded to did anything wrong. 🤷‍♂️

maybe some posters should be permanently threadbanned from any paper mario related threads if they can't behave like normal people :unsure:

anyway looking forward to trying the game after I'm done with FFVII Rebirth, SMRPG, Pikmin 1-2-3-4, Prince of Persia, PM 64, etc tho by the time I'm done with some of those games I'm probably gonna put everything aside for Shadow of the Erdtree so it'll probably be the end of the year.

The thing I don't particularly get is that, literally who cares if some people that don't like new Paper Mario say that the new games are bad or don't count or whatever. People can say bad things about games they don't like, the problem is when certain fans are personally attacked about it, which didn't happen. Someone saying things that aren't nice about a game you might like is not a personal attack

I don't really follow the twitter or youtube stuff people talk about that discusses this sort of stuff outside of here but at least as far as this forum is concerned i've seen WAY more people complaining about us fans of the older games than complaining about the newer ones(especially recently since there hasn't been a new one in a few years)

honestly it really feels so out of proportion most of the time, I keep seeing stuff like 1 or 2 posts that are maybe a bit dismissive of the newer games be followed by way more than that complaining about not only the original comment but often complaining about us people that prefer the older games as a whole
I mean, good on you if you’ve been spared by how the Paper Mario community has acted these last 8 years on both Twitter and YouTube… yeah this forum is definitly a better place to discuss the series than those places but let’s not pretend it’s that great or that TTYD fans are the victims in this fandom war.
Wouldn’t that also include Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star
A Platformer and an adventure game?

I'm about to lose my mind at the logic that "Paper Mario RPG" would need to include Super into the equation but that "Paper Mario 3" for some reason doesn't. This fanbase is bananas, dude.
Eh, it's ambiguous whether that includes Super. It's also the Japanese title of TTYD, so that's the first thing I would think of upon seeing the term.
All the more reason to use it if that's what people want.

The thing I don't particularly get is that, literally who cares if some people that don't like new Paper Mario say that the new games are bad or don't count or whatever. People can say bad things about games they don't like, the problem is when certain fans are personally attacked about it, which didn't happen. Someone saying things that aren't nice about a game you might like is not a personal attack

When people show up at every opportunity for what must be going on a decade at this point to say bad things about games that a lot of people actually like, that builds a ton of frustration up. Nobody would have cared if it was a one off thing once.

When people show up at every opportunity for what must be going on a decade at this point to say bad things about games that a lot of people actually like, that builds a ton of frustration up. Nobody would have cared if it was a one off thing once.

Are you really going to be on a high horse about this when you've done the same thing and there was a user ITT making up a conspiracy that the only reasson TTYD remake reviewed well is because the reviewers are TTYD fans. Cut me a break.

Heh. I knew that TTYD fans that became critics would push their scores to the limit.

Not sure if it will be enough to make it sell more than they expect though.

:rolleyes:

I mean, good on you if you’ve been spared by how the Paper Mario community has acted these last 8 years on both Twitter and YouTube… yeah this forum is definitly a better place to discuss the series than those places but let’s not pretend it’s that great or that TTYD fans are the victims in this fandom war.

A Platformer and an adventure game?

I wouldn't use language quite as severe as victim to describe it but I definitely feel somewhat targeted at times reading threads like this as someone that simply likes the old games and doesn't like the new ones and doesn't even typically express that opinion out loud

It's okay to like different games. It's okay to voice your thoughts on games you dislike (yes, even multiple times!). It's not okay to attack people over their opinions.

Anyway, I'm so happy the scores are so high. I was hoping the aggregate score would land in the 90s, but 89 has a 9 in it too so I'm happy lol

Staff Communication
Hello everyone!

We find ourselves with another Paper Mario thread devolving into inflammatory discourse, which stifles discussion and benefits no one. Thus, we would like to remind everyone participating in this discussion to keep it civil. As this a review thread for TTYD specifically, please try to keep the discussion focused on that game, instead of engaging in metacommentary.

The staff will be monitoring this thread closely. Threadbans will be handed out to those who disrupt the conversation with heated and toxic arguments. Repeat or extreme offenses will result in more severe moderation.

Please keep this in mind while participating in this thread. Thank you for your understanding.

- meatbag, Zellia, MissingNo, Lord Azrael, Tangerine_Cookie
QRQM8Lx.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom