• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) | Review Thread

The Japanese version was also transphobic to Vivian (both the menu and Goombella misgendered her) so I imagine the Japanese script cleaned that up.
From what I've heard, the original script had its fair share of problems even if it didn't shy away from stating her identity, so I hope Nintendo as a whole has improved and fixed things this time around.

Misgendering is bad, agreed. I like/want to believe that those issues in the original games' JP text were mistakes instead of done on purpose ... given back then you couldn't just patch out stuff via online-patches.

At least i want to believe this since the og JP version doesn't completely erase Vivian's identity compared to the og US/english localization.

Disappointed, the way Paper Mario fans have been talking about this game I thought it would be a 98 minimum.

On a more serious note, very curious to see how this actually holds up for people that didn’t grow up with the original, since online Nintendo gaming discussion has kinda been dominated by people that grew up with GameCubes. Origami King was fantastic, but I played the original for the first time a few months ago and found it to be good but not much more. Here’s hoping this lives up to its impossibly high reputation.

Disappointed, the way Paper Mario fans have been talking about this game I thought it would be a 98 minimum.

On a more serious note, very curious to see how this actually holds up for people that didn’t grow up with the original, since online Nintendo gaming discussion has kinda been dominated by people that grew up with GameCubes. Origami King was fantastic, but I played the original for the first time a few months ago and found it to be good but not much more. Here’s hoping this lives up to its impossibly high reputation.
this is still "just" a remake.

Come on, I know it is a Paper Mario thread but can we avoid that once?

Anyway I didn't know the original release got an 87 MC score and this beats it, that's amazing.

This thread finally got me to order it.

Hoping to play it with the wife and kids.

First new boxed Switch game in months!

TTYD has the same gameplay as 64 but with really wacky set pieces and story. There's an entire subplot where a HAL-9000 spoof falls in love with Peach, for example. I think it's a lot of fun and helps keep the game fresh.

I loved Origami King's overworld gameplay, but I thought the battles were so obnoxious that I ended up dropping it halfway through. For the next game, I hope they either return to a more RPG-esque structure or drop turn-based completely and do something real time. The paper macho fights in TOK were pretty good.

Last edited:
Slightly surprised - I thought, like a lot of re-releases, the score might dip a little (not by much, mind - maybe 2 or 3 points). Haven't played it since the original release, and my copy is on the way.

Now Nintendo, put Metroid Prime 2 on Switch so I can relive Christmas 2004.

Slightly surprised - I thought, like a lot of re-releases, the score might dip a little (not by much, mind - maybe 2 or 3 points). Haven't played it since the original release, and my copy is on the way.

Now Nintendo, put Metroid Prime 2 on Switch so I can relive Christmas 2004.

TTYP and Prime 2 - Christmas of Backtracking! ;D

One of my favorite games of all time gets an incredible and faithful remake, and fully embraces transgender Vivian? Fuck yes!

It doesn't matter.
People that have touted themselves as “REAL Paper Mario fans” like less than half of this series. So yeah, it matters.
this is still "just" a remake.
It’s always curious with remakes on whether the high scores are because of how good of a remake it is or how good the original game is.
TTYD has the same gameplay as 64 but with really wacky set pieces and story. There's an entire subplot where a HAL-9000 spoof falls in love with Peach, for example. I think it's a lot of fun and helps keep the game fresh.

I loved Origami King's overworld gameplay, but I thought the battles were so obnoxious that I ended up dropping it halfway through. For the next game, I hope they either return to a more RPG-esque structure or drop turn-based completely and do something realtime. The paper macho fights in TOK were pretty good.
Yeah I’m down for wackier set pieces. Regardless on how this game sells, it even existing should be good for the Paper Mario series going forward since it hopefully opens the door for more Mario races to be featured in the series, even the biggest TOK fans (me) would loves to see more creativity in the character designs. Origami King did well enough, but it was pretty clear that Intelligent Systems were trying their hardest to tip-toe along the restrictions set on the series. Hopefully now those restrictions are gone.

NSjIRvl.jpeg
Comparison with the rest of the series:

Really wish I could pick this up at launch, but money’s tight for the next month at least.

Glad to see it’s reviewing fairly well though. Seems like they really nailed this remake and gave TTYD the love it deserved

People that have touted themselves as “REAL Paper Mario fans” like less than half of this series. So yeah, it matters.
When you consider what the series started out as (Being a successor to Mario RPG) To a lot of people it won't matter that there are more games that play differently than the first two. This to them will always be the "real" Paper Mario. It’s just the way it is.

It's valid if you still like the newer games but for many people it's just not the same thing at all.

lol Game Informer still one of the lower reviews. Still, good to see there's nothing egregiously wrong with this remake!

Yeah I’m down for wackier set pieces. Regardless on how this game sells, it even existing should be good for the Paper Mario series going forward since it hopefully opens the door for more Mario races to be featured in the series, even the biggest TOK fans (me) would loves to see more creativity in the character designs. Origami King did well enough, but it was pretty clear that Intelligent Systems were trying their hardest to tip-toe along the restrictions set on the series. Hopefully now those restrictions are gone.
I can't imagine we're still going to get 'the' toad and 'the' goomba style characters going forward from this, even if we don't return entirely to the JRPG style (and to be fair I feel TOK's boss battles at least were well designed). Still of the opinion if Sticker Star/Color Splash kept the first three games' style of world-building/characters while still controversial there wouldn't be as huge a schism as there is. To me classic PM's identity was how it expanded on Mario's world, and to its credit TOK also tries to do that compared to how vanilla SS/CS are.

Please refrain from using "trigger" as a substitute for "anger", since the term pertains to serious psychological issues. - meatbag, Tangerine_Cookie, Zellia, Party Sklar, MissingNo, DecoReturns
I think it's safe to say that Intelligent Systems will please gamers more by going back to making RPGs.

Regardless of all the drama.

@Ricimer Just use the word "RPG" instead of "real" next time so you don't sadden people lol. I agree with you but the word "real" really saddens people.
The franchise is more or less 2 or 3 different sub series/genres with the same name and aesthetic.

Last edited:
I am veeeeery much looking forward to diving into this old friend during my upcoming 11 hour flight to the USA in a month's time. Still a top 10 Mario game of all time for me, and excellent to see they've made meaningful improvements.

Also Vivian was always my favourite companion so amazing to see them fully embracing her transgender identity here.

Can someone give me a full history of the Vivian thing? I remember playing it at launch (USA version) and thinking the character was not written well and was missing something. Even the whole arc for that area was weird. If they scrapped Vivian’s transgender background then obviously that would do it. I’m looking forward to playing that section again as it was meant to be. (Hopefully it is, everything I hear says they put it back in anyway)

Seems positive. A shame there isn't much additional content, though, although not surprising as Nintendo didn't reveal anything until now.

don't tell me that the paper mario 64 people are going to be the new ttyd people
I don't think there's separate camps at all, or have ever been. People are just classic Paper Mario fans, not exclusively 64 or TTYD fans that's weird.

The idea there's a rapid segment of fans that are TTYD-only diehards is pretty misconstrued.

So this makes it the second-highest rated entry in the franchise. That's huge! Here's to hoping the sales speak volumes.
Second highest in the series with significantly more reviewers than 64 or the original TYYD got. It's very impressive!

Wow look Paper Mario game where the reviewers praise the combat system for once. I am shocked. I can't imagine this has happened for at least 20 years. :D

Can someone give me a full history of the Vivian thing? I remember playing it at launch (USA version) and thinking the character was not written well and was missing something. Even the whole arc for that area was weird. If they scrapped Vivian’s transgender background then obviously that would do it. I’m looking forward to playing that section again as it was meant to be. (Hopefully it is, everything I hear says they put it back in anyway)
The original Japanese release was unambiguous about Vivian being trans and the main conflict with her sisters stemmed from Beldam regularly misgendering her, or essentially depriving her of her identity. In several of the western localizations, they instead changed it to a more basic Cinderella story of her two sisters essentially identifying themselves as beautiful and her as pathetic/full of herself.

I think everyone in the community has accepted Vivian as trans for decades now. I'll say though, I wonder a bit whether getting this change now instead of in 2004 is the better outcome since I'm not fully confident that having that more accurate localization in 2004 would've aged well; supposedly the misgendering wasn't limited to Beldam, as I believe characters like Goombella would misgender her too when you performed a tattle (the usual type of "actually, she's etc."). I'm really glad it seems like they're doing an unambiguously positive portrayal of her identity this time around.

don't tell me that the paper mario 64 people are going to be the new ttyd people
TTYD people are probably not gonna stop being TTYD people anyway if the next Paper Mario game decides to get goofy again

A little higher than I expect with the MC so that is welcomed. I won't get this at launch, but I'd like to replay the game at some point. It is cool that this classic is finally being made more accessible to everyone.

If they put a Wave Race Blue Storm remake on Switch 2 I'm singlehandedly going to make Paper Mario discourse look normal in comparison.

Doing God's work!

The original Japanese release was unambiguous about Vivian being trans and the main conflict with her sisters stemmed from Beldam regularly misgendering her, or essentially depriving her of her identity. In several of the western localizations, they instead changed it to a more basic Cinderella story of her two sisters essentially identifying themselves as beautiful and her as pathetic/full of herself.

I think everyone in the community has accepted Vivian as trans for decades now. I'll say though, I wonder a bit whether getting this change now instead of in 2004 is probably for the best since I'm not fully confident that us getting a more accurate localization in 2004 would've aged well; supposedly the misgendering wasn't limited to Beldam, as I believe characters like Goombella would misgender her too when you performed a tattle. I'm really glad it seems like they're doing an unambiguously positive portrayal of her identity this time around.
Yeah Vivian's identity in the JP script is treated as a tropey joke typical of anime back then. Goombella's JP tattle is "He may look like a girl, but he's actually a boy.", that's the type of vibe they were going for with the character. A authentic translation of the original JP script would not have looked good these days.
TTYD people are probably not gonna stop being TTYD people anyway if the next Paper Mario game decides to get goofy again
There's not really "TTYD-people"....

I for one can't understand how a segment of a franchise who built their entire identity for years around being bitter and spreading vitriol could have resulted in this exact situation. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

Very surprised its scoring higher that 20 years ago considering there isn't any mayor new content iirc.

But that means that Paper Mario TTYD is a timeless classic very worthy to play to any gamer.
Keep in mind that this was the era of the "Gaycube" and "Kiddy Nintendo" allegations. Discourse for non-PS2/XBOX games was on the fucking floor.

Eh, I think most people that like the RPGs, like them all. It's rare to see people hate on TTYD and love 64 or vice versa.

I also personally would not take someone's opinion seriously if they think 64 and TTYD are so dramatically different. Like acting like one is a 3/10 and the other is a 10/10. They are so similar.

Back
Top Bottom