• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Not sure if its been brought up yet, but they’ve added new pipes within levels too, which might be what the Nintendo rep meant when they told GVG that backtracking was addressed in some capacity but didn’t elaborate on how.

Hopefully we get confirmation for other chapters, this could be huge

Not sure if its been brought up yet, but they’ve added new pipes within levels too, which might be what the Nintendo rep meant when they told GVG that backtracking was addressed in some capacity but didn’t elaborate on how.

And there it is.

Told ya they'd apply the modern trilogy level design philosophy. Now I'm like 99% sure there's a pipe to shorten the Chapter 4 backtracking lol.

Oh, now they're cooking. Surprised I haven't seen much talk of this, but OTOH these are less in your face. It's harder for journalists who haven't played the game in 15+ years to be sure these are new, I'd imagine.
And there it is.

Told ya they'd apply the modern trilogy level design philosophy. Now I'm like 99% sure there's a pipe to shorten the Chapter 4 backtracking lol.
I might actually forgo any pipes in Chapter 4 lol, it's part of the experience for me as this point. Glad for those who want it though, and I'll definitely take anything to streamline the first halves of Chapter 2 and Chapter 5.

Oh, now they're cooking. Surprised I haven't seen much talk of this, but OTOH these are less in your face.

I might actually forgo any pipes in Chapter 4 lol, it's part of the experience for me as this point. Glad for those who want it though, and I'll definitely take anything to streamline the first halves of Chapter 2 and Chapter 5.
Chapter 4 is an experience to behold blind, but it sure gets old having to contend with the most annoying enemies in the game (golden flowers putting you in a sleep loop) 3 times. I think what would be best is if you go through it one time, then when backtracking you unlock a pipe that takes you back to the foreground, near the abandoned cabin after Twilight Town.

yeah this is probably more dramatic than people realize. Like when Skyward Sword HD allowed you to skip Fi's dialouge in places you couldn't before

Okay, that’s very encouraging.

Shortcuts are good cause, while in the grand scheme of things it may not be a lot of time saved, the back tracking can drag and pacing is very important. Getting rid of the feeling of drag is immensely necessary.

yeah this is probably more dramatic than people realize. Like when Skyward Sword HD allowed you to skip Fi's dialouge in places you couldn't before
It's also an issue that gets bigger and bigger as the game goes on, but by the looks of things the embargo on previews prevents discussion of anything past Chapter 1 - which itself isn't really much of an offender. Chapters 2 and 5 especially have the potential to flow much better with these pipes; both have a fair amount of backtracking in the "overworld" areas (Boggly Woods and Keelhaul Key) as well as the "dungeons" (the Great Tree and Pirate's Grotto).

It's also an issue that gets bigger and bigger as the game goes on, but by the looks of things the embargo on previews prevents discussion of anything past Chapter 1 - which itself isn't really much of an offender. Chapters 2 and 5 especially have the potential to flow much better with these pipes; both have a fair amount of backtracking in the "overworld" areas (Boggly Woods and Keelhaul Key) as well as the "dungeons" (the Great Tree and Pirate's Grotto).
Boggly Woods will always be the biggest obstacle in my playthrough for this game. It's paced so poorly I dread it every playthrough and it's really bad cause I always get excited for Glitzville lol. It's my light at the end of the tunnel but that tunnel is so long

I got a question that should be fun

What is your favorite enemy in this game and why?

I absolutely LOVE the Clefts, they are so dorky and cool

That or the Wizzerds... I remember discovering them back in the day and being MIND BLOWN by how unique they were to fight

That or the Wizzerds... I remember discovering them back in the day and being MIND BLOWN by how unique they were to fight
I like the second enemy you are talking about. The wizards. I always was hoping one would appear as a partner in a later game. But of course that was the last game they ever even appeared in lol

Pretty much all the X-Naut variants are great, especially Elite X-Nauts:

Elite_X-Naut.PNG

Koopatrauls from the first PM are also a classic and the dark variant in TTYD is no different:

Dark_Koopatrol.png

Mario has some of the best monster designs in any video game series, and I love when they get just a bit edgy with them in the RPGs.

The hardware is Switch for crying out loud. It's not the developer's fault.
Sure it is. They choose what to target.
The visuals are completely redone. Some seem to never care about discussing the fidelity/visuals. Why is it only the FPS.
If a remake or sequel improves some things, but makes another thing worse to help pay for those improvements... yeah, the thing that's being made worse is going to be criticized. It would also be criticized if it was a game with equivalent new visuals, but presented in 360p120. Or if it was a 1080p60 game, with textures half the resolution of the original.
a lot of arguing for something normal people don't give a shit about
This ain't Normalboards.
You're basically implying the game isn't 60fps because the devs didn't put in the effort.
Everything humans create ends up the way it does because different things have different priorities and different amounts of effort put into it. To say they chose not to prioritize frame rate isn't saying they're lazy.

I remember when people were calling Hyrule Warriors on 3DS "literally unplayable" and my response was that "I'm literally playing it"

What should be a matter of opinion becomes a problem when both sides start to care about the other being "wrong", and I won't pretend I'm immune.

Nice, keen to see what the DF analysis is! I've read conflicting reports in previews on how stable the framerate is, so will be good to get DF's expertise on it.

Crazy to think we're a few weeks away from a full on remake of TTYD... I really doubted it would ever happen. I would've been ecstatic if we'd received just a super basic remaster!

Switch had already become my favourite console ever (last year's line-up sealed the deal on that!), but this is just the perfect cherry on top for me.

Nice, keen to see what the DF analysis is! I've read conflicting reports in previews on how stable the framerate is, so will be good to get DF's expertise on it.

Crazy to think we're a few weeks away from a full on remake of TTYD... I really doubted it would ever happen. I would've been ecstatic if we'd received just a super basic remaster!

Switch had already become my favourite console ever (last year's line-up sealed the deal on that!), but this is just the perfect cherry on top for me.
Only one source(IGN) said it was a bit iffy and that was only during one scene with the X-Naut ambush.

I don't keep up with Palworld, did it end up just being a fad?

Maybe just not relevant in our circle.
No, there was another thread recently because a new Pal/AI-generated Pokémon edit was added to the game, and discussion of Palworld in any large group turns into a bizarre shouting match.

Player count for Palworld at the moment is comparable to other survival games.

A month left and still no signs of any small pre-order bonuses in NA? Closest I saw was that GC slipcover from Gamestop Canada

Zki6LEk.gif

well anyway this remake is looking promising with some nice QOL additions despite the change in framerate tho I'd kinda want to disagree with the notion that this is an issue with the hardware rather than IntSys choosing to target 30 fps and go from there. You could still have a nice looking 60 fps remake but probably with less visual flourishes.

I wonder how easy/possible it was to unlock the framerate via emulation for Origami King assuming TYD runs on the same engine.

Still shouldn't be much of an issue since they'll rework the button timing for 30.

In hopes that this will allow everyone to move on on the 30 / 60 FPS front :

That's basically saying they made a deliberate choice to choose visuals over frames.

Players are free to disagree with that choice, no? With how close the Switch 2 release is, maybe they should have just released it on that and not have had to make a choice at all...

Honestly, as a fan of the original, the more I am seeing of the game the more things that are bugging me (changed dialogue, the framerate, etc.) that I'm leaning towards not buying anymore. Might just pick up a used copy down the line, but doubt I'll be buying new now. I didn't want a TTYD that slowly pushes towards the design of TOK. I just wanted TTYD.

i’ll just be sitting over here begging for my Switch (2) port of Paper Mario: Color Splash

excited to play this for the first time soon, though. avoiding overviews because I don’t want spoilers.

That's basically saying they made a deliberate choice to choose visuals over frames.

Players are free to disagree with that choice, no? With how close the Switch 2 release is, maybe they should have just released it on that and not have had to make a choice at all...

Honestly, as a fan of the original, the more I am seeing of the game the more things that are bugging me (changed dialogue, the framerate, etc.) that I'm leaning towards not buying anymore. Might just pick up a used copy down the line, but doubt I'll be buying new now. I didn't want a TTYD that slowly pushes towards the design of TOK. I just wanted TTYD.
Nintendo should just stop releasing games on Switch and hold them all back for the Switch 2.

That is an actual sentiment I'm hearing from people.

This really shouldn't come as a revelation to what is ostensibly an enthusiast forum, yet here we are. People can feel free to disagree about what compromises get made for sure, but it is what is with how games get made.

Nintendo should just stop releasing games on Switch and hold them all back for the Switch 2.

That is an actual sentiment I'm hearing from people.

Well if the promise of upgrades on Switch 2 were a thing then I wouldn't have to say that, but that's probably not happening with framerates.

Even RPG can't even keep stable frames, it's pretty bad. At least the frames there are unlocked, so it should run rock solid on the Switch 2.

I was blessed with the “don’t really care about fps unless it’s wildly inconsistent” gene, so everything I’m seeing about this remake makes me more and more impatient to play it. TTYD is an incredibly special game to me and I cannot wait to re-experience it after many years, with these fantastic new visuals. :)

This really shouldn't come as a revelation to what is ostensibly an enthusiast forum, yet here we are. People can feel free to disagree about what compromises get made for sure, but it is what is with how games get made.
....It's not a revelation though, how does it really respond to people who care about frame rate in any meaningful way? I'm pretty sure the people complaining were aware it was a developer decision to prioritize graphics, that's kinda the point.

Just watched some previews. This looks lovely. I’ve only ever played like the first two hours of this game when I borrowed it from a friend. It didn’t grab me back then but I’ve come to love Mario rpg’s in recent years. I’m excited to give this game a real shot. I enjoyed the first one when it came to nso, I also loved origami king. I’m excited to play a proper paper mario rpg with updated visuals!

It really changes nothing for people who are disappointed. People are disappointed that it IS, not WHY it is.

Note: I am not one of them.

This is literally what I'm saying.
The part where you're acting like it was a revelation to people complaining is what confuses me. I don't see how you drew that conclusion when the point was people criticizing the priorities in the first place. Unless I'm misreading but that's what your comment sounds like when you say "it shouldn't be a revelation yet here we are " and "people have the right to complain but". I'm just not sure how you drew criticizing priorities = not knowing they exist.

....It's not a revelation though, how does it really respond to people who care about frame rate in any meaningful way? I'm pretty sure the people complaining were aware it was a developer decision to prioritize graphics, that's kinda the point.
There were at least a few people saying the game is a downright downgrade because remake necessarily denotes improved frame rate. I think it's not as common sense as it should be that what gets upgraded in a remaster ultimately has more to do with priorities than incompetence.

I get being disappointed about the FPS, but if all it took to lean you towards not buying it was a few lines of changed dialogue, then you probably weren’t that interested in the game in the first place

Agreed completely. I'm stilling buying the game to support the original series. But this is the definition of graphics over gameplay.

Can you explain what you mean by this? Did they take away XP, partners, etc???

what dialogue changes?

Back
Top Bottom