• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) — Pre-release Discussion Thread

I'm curious about their color choices for the button prompts. A is red and Y is green. The Super Mario RPG remake also has the A button prompt as red. Is it usual for switch games to make up different colors for the button prompts and I just haven't noticed?

Sort of hoping against rationality that this is future-proofing for Switch 2 having different colored face buttons...
This is an interesting catch. Far be it from me to bolster a Switch 2 conspiracy theory, but:

71b412mb4yL.jpg

The endgame for my Switch library is for it to look exactly like a Blockbuster gaming section in 2003-2005.

Thousand Year Door was a requirement. but Mario vs DK was a nice suprise too

I'm curious about their color choices for the button prompts. A is red and Y is green. The Super Mario RPG remake also has the A button prompt as red. Is it usual for switch games to make up different colors for the button prompts and I just haven't noticed?

Sort of hoping against rationality that this is future-proofing for Switch 2 having different colored face buttons...
I wouldn't read too much into it. Sometimes, they just like to use the Super Famicom button colors.

Even Let's Go Pikachu had them

how_to_get_mew_in_pokemon_lets_go.jpg

I paid $100 for a gamecube copy in 2021 and never even played it. Now watch me dump another $60 for the switch version cuz I'm dumb with my money.
in my defense my wii is an ocean away from me so I rarely had the chance to play it

I kinda get the people being disappointed because they prefer either PM64 or Super (I myself am a Super Paper Mario fan), but come on, obviously it was going to be this one first lol, this is the one that most of the fanbase have been asking for a remake for about 8 years or so now. It wasn't even a question.
I feel like starting with the original instead of the second isn't that weird, especially when it's the most aesthetically out-of-line with the rest (though I like that about it).

I think the original coming to NSO and having been on virtual console before was the bigger reason it was skipped.

Just my two cents, but I think the backlash against the pacing/backtracking in TTYD is so loud because that is literally the only thing you can legit complain about with this game. You rarely hear anyone complain about anything else with that game.

Personally I give it a 9.5/10. It is that great.
I'm one of the weirdos that feels everything added to the combat makes it worse, largely just due to how easy the game becomes (though it seems @Dardan Sandiego agrees). Between partners having HP bars, badge stacking, super guards, SP regeneration getting crazily buffed, etc. being added, the player is a lot more powerful in this game. But it feels like the enemy design was only balanced around one or two of those things being added.

The backtracking is also way more prevalent than I feel it's given credit for, even from the normal detractors. People point at chapter 4 and 7 the most, but it starts in chapter 1 and never really goes away, with only chapters 3 and 6 having structures that make it feel natural. It's hard for me to handwave it when it's an issue throughout the entire game until halfway through chapter 7. If it was just Twilight Town, I'd feel it was a neat artistic choice, but it's not. By the time you're in chapter 5 it's just tiresome. 64 by comparison had much more varied level structures chapter to chapter that was interesting to engage with and explore, and I finish much more of my replays of that game as a result.

That said - it's something that gets worse for me every replay, and I like the game enough to replay it lol. For someone just playing the game once, it may not be a big deal.

I noticed that guy too and wasn't sure if he was replacing something else. Really curious as to what his function is, and whether it's part of a larger trend or perhaps just part of a new mechanic added to the game.

Is it really 30 FPS or is that just video lag? I can't imagine it running at 30 FPS. It looks like a remaster based on the original code which is cool. I prefer those since they make the same experience available.

Maybe I just haven't heard enough of it, but I don't think I like the redone music

Wonder if they'll be an option to use the original soundtrack

Interesting to see criticisms for the party member HP. Having recently played through the original on NSO these last few weeks, the thing I struggled the most with was how party members don't feel like actual party members. I missed their own HP, switching vanguard, and P badges (if it was up to me, I would've gone farther and given them their own badge supplies). I guess I understand it making things easier, but neither of these are what I'd call hard games.

Well anyways, I'm mostly just looking forward to see if there's any new content

This is great for me as a 64 and TTYD Paper Mario fan and annoying to me as a SS, CS, and TOK Paper Mario fan. Mainly because the former is already being so obnoxious on social media (with two in particular being so goddamn annoying I've blocked them) that it just brings the game down for me.

Also, you know the goddamn trauma I received because me being a fan of the later ain't helping. Still, it seems that the game looks good and they have newer characters so it looks like all those "Nintendo will sanitize the toads" hysteria was wrong, surprise surprsie.

My favorite video game of all time is back. This announcement meant the world to me, and came as a total shock. Of all the GameCube games that could have been there, it’s one of the last I would have guessed based on the close proximity to Super Mario RPG, but I’m not complaining. I saw nothing in the trailer that put me off, very happy it sounds like Martinet’s Mario sounds are maintained and hopefully all original dialogue. If they kept the noose and Flurrie’s design, I would think the risque invisible Peach sequence will still be in! Must stay faithful! It looks fantastic, absolutely cannot wait.

64 and TTYD are both easy games to my memory. 64’s enemies don’t really keep pace statistically (the base shy guy in chapter 4 is still only dealing 2, the clubbas in chapter 3 are the dungeon’s only enemy with mediocre stats and no abilities) and the tricky parts are easily mitigated by badges. It’s not hard to figure out which to use and the game makes sure you easily get the ones you really need (eg, use multi bounce + spike shield or one of the quake hammers and koopatrols are no problem).

TTYD does give you a lot more tools but also scales the enemies up somewhat and special abilities are more common. I think the difficulty basically evens out, maybe even slightly harder for TTYD.

Items are kinda broken in both games though.

Last edited:
Interesting to see criticisms for the party member HP. Having recently played through the original on NSO these last few weeks, the thing I struggled the most with was how party members don't feel like actual party members. I missed their own HP, switching vanguard, and P badges (if it was up to me, I would've gone farther and given them their own badge supplies). I guess I understand it making things easier, but neither of these are what I'd call hard games.

Well anyways, I'm mostly just looking forward to see if there's any new content
I mean, yeah - you can only make a Mario RPG so hard before it becomes problematic due to the target demographic. Paper Mario has a more fixed difficulty curve, but all the options in TTYD while also having to balance for the least common denominator means the game becomes a giant cakewalk fast if you actually put thought into what you're doing.

I don't anticipate major new content, but that purple Toad has me intrigued.

I would think the risque invisible Peach sequence will still be in!
The weirdest thing about this is the fact that they draw attention to it lol. Like, in reality, it's not risque at all - except for the fact that the game makes you think about what's actually going on.

They could've made the whole thing totally harmless instead of just mostly harmless by sequencing that scene slightly differently.

YOOO

right before the direct me and my friend were making predictions. we were speculating on what the gamecube port/remaster/remake would be and he suggested a ttyd port. I quickly shot it down and said “bro i wish but they’re not gonna undermine super mario rpg in the same direct, stop it.” IM SO GLAD TO BE WRONG

I mean, yeah - you can only make a Mario RPG so hard before it becomes problematic due to the target demographic. Paper Mario has a more fixed difficulty curve, but all the options in TTYD while also having to balance for the least common denominator means the game becomes a giant cakewalk fast if you actually put tho
I can see that, sorry if my post seemed disingenuous. I guess for me the appeal of these games is mostly seeing how broken of a badge build you can put together and how much damage you can pump out for a game that expects you to only dish out single-digit integers

Come on man...

Super Famicom controller button colors.

What a way to end that Direct. Can't wait to play this one again.

This game is doing a good job of bridging the gap between the original style and the more modern "papercraft" look. Feels like a pop-up book, which is close enough to the "storybook" look that I'll take it. Unlike with the Mario & Luigi remakes, very little is being updated here to be more "on model" or "modernized". Goombas sport their red feet, the Bros. enemies don't have their modern colors or shoes, and every NPC design seems intact. Even Peach, who sported her classic dress for the last time in the GC original, has not been updated to her modern dress design.
There's a similar vibe with the script in the US trailer, which, so far, has only received minor touch ups. There's one less punctuation on one of Doopliss's dialogue pieces, and Goombella tells Mario that she's a junior at the University of Goom instead of just a student at U Goom (that detail isn't a retcon, it's mentioned just a couple of scenes later when she talks to Professor Frankly). Can't speak for the international versions, but this looks to be very faithful. What that means for Vivian's story, I don't know - they're clearly touching things up, so they could potentially go in a lot of directions with re-localizing her or they can take the shameful way out and not even bother to change - but beyond that concern, this is looking as faithful as one could reasonably ask for.

And that music! I wonder how much of it was cut for the trailer specifically with those transitions and such. The scene at Mario's house plays a PM64 remix, then we get a lovely remix of Petal Meadows that utilizes both synthy instruments like the original alongside a fuller jazz style evocative of the modern games. It sounds lovely, and I can't wait to hear it for real in game.

Noticed a couple of things about the intro which made for fun details:
  1. In the original game, we don't see the exterior of the back half of Mario's house - wasn't even modeled in TTYD GC. We do now, and it matches the design from PM64.
  2. In Super Paper Mario, Mario's living room has two pictures - one in a blue frame with the PM64 partners and one in a red frame with the TTYD partners. TTYD Remake adds the PM64 picture to the living room, right in the place it would have been if it existed in the original game compared to its appearance in SPM.
  3. As pointed out in this tweet, the originally generic map in the background is now the map from PM64!

I am very curious to see how this remake shakes out!

Funny, the first thing I thought watching the trailer was "Gee, wonder who would compare this to the original and find every single inconsistency in a 1 hour analysis"

We're nearing that now.
Supper Mario Broth is a great account to follow for this type of stuff.

This has the potential to be the greatest release of all time IF it includes a whole extra mode of Luigi's Adventures in the Waffle Kingdom.

I hope this opens the door to a Super Paper Mario remake. Lovely game but with a lot of flaws that could be fixed in one (weak bosses, the sometimes weird pacing, some of the level design).

My soul left my body when the book appeared. This is it - the game I’ve dreamt of for so long. The implications this has for the future of the Paper Mario franchise (and potentially even Mario on a bigger scale) is massive. This is my third-favourite game of all time, behind only BotW and TotK. I truly love this series (the first three anyway) and despite having a good time with Color Splash and especially Origami King, this is the kind of Paper Mario I’ve been wishing for.

On another note, I can’t imagine the game visually looking any better. When I would imagine a potential TTYD remake, I wasn’t sure if I’d like the papercraft style with the white outlines to stay (since CS and TOK are visually gorgeous games), or if I’d want them to eliminate any traces of the modern games and fully return to form. But this is perfect… it’s a middle ground between the two and I genuinely couldn’t be happier. It sports a modern, clean look while maintaining the original TTYD feel. Seeing the original NPC designs back, as well as the old designs of NPCs that had since been remade make a return, just warms my heart. The visuals seem to have a yellowed tint in Rogueport, which holds onto the slightly moody, edgy feel of the original. The music is fantastic; it’s a modern interpretation of the original songs and I am SO HERE FOR IT. I can’t wait to hear this whole soundtrack.

I am positively gushing right now. This is the most exciting reveal for me since BotW2. I had given up hope for this because Mario RPG’s coming out and I figured they wouldn’t want two Mario RPGs at once. I also thought that if anything DID happen, it would be a remaster shadowdrop like Pikmin 1 + 2, which I already would have loved. But this?

This is better than I ever thought possible.

Superguards are 3 frames in the original. That would effectively make them frame perfect.

This would be my only major issue with dropping to 30 - the effect on Action Commands. I don't think the rest of TTYD is all that effected by a drop.

Hopefully they'll recalibrate the inputs to reflect things if it is indeed 30.

I actually am very confused by Nintendo's take on Mario RPGs.

Sticker Star: Is universally hated and doesn't sell great
Nintendo: "Make the next two games sequels to Sticker Star."

The Origami King: Is reasonably well received and sells fine
Nintendo: "We have to get development of two true Mario RPG remakes happening ASAP"

Just a little weird timing, lol.

Found a comparison video:

Fun little detail: they made the intercom device in the Glitz Pit locker room look even more like gameboy advance and even put the branding on it that wasn't there originally

I sure do hope the noose means absolutely nothing got censored, from the stuff with Peach to Pianta Parlor (I was seeing someone bring up that there was some new ESRB rule about simulated gambling requiring a higher rating, but I'm not knowledgeable about it myself). Everything so far has been perfection.

This game is doing a good job of bridging the gap between the original style and the more modern "papercraft" look. Feels like a pop-up book, which is close enough to the "storybook" look that I'll take it.
But this is perfect… it’s a middle ground between the two and I genuinely couldn’t be happier.
It's a further realized papercraft version of TTYD's aesthetic, I feel. TTYD's sprites were animated as if the characters were different pieces of paper magically stuck together; for example, Mario consists of his head, torso, arms, and feet, which all slide around each other independently at 60 fps, but the individual pieces themselves animate with hard cuts, papercraft style.

This sticks to that, with very slight touches for emphasis. The white outlines are present, they're just much thinner and don't uniformly go all the way around the character; it's most obvious in the scene at Frankly's place.

I also think the original already kinda felt like a pop-up book. 64 was always more storybook than TTYD to me; TTYD was the start of leaning into more papercraft elements in the aesthetic.

Superguards are 3 frames in the original. That would effectively make them frame perfect.
Yeah, this is... strange. The trailer is uploaded at 60 fps, but outside the shot at the actual Thousand Year Door that looks like it was sped up in editing, the game footage is 30 fps.

Technically speaking, input windows don't have to be tied to frames, but who knows what they'll do if it's actually 30 fps.

Back
Top Bottom