• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Paper Mario coming to NSO Expansion Pak 12/10

Sony and Microsoft's paid online services give out 3 or so relatively new games for free, to own, every single month. Most of them aren't even first party so deals need to be worked out with publishers for them. Now I like Nintendo's games way more than most of the free PS Plus or Xbox Live stuff so to me even old Nintendo games beat modern random 3rd party PS/Xbox games, but they should at least be trying to make the service comparable. Not to even mention the bad emulation quality and that no real comment has been made by Nintendo on that. Are they going to trickle out one game a month and then the games themselves are scuffed on top of that? Are they actually planning on fixing any of the many reported issues with the games already on there?
Something else I'd like to point out is that with XBL Gold, you get to keep the 360 games offered through Games with Gold, even if you let your subscription expire. Functionally, you get 12 360 games to keep, which already covers the monetary cost of the subscription, not even counting the XB1 games or stuff like Deals with Gold.

One of my favourite Paper Mario's coming to NSO makes me really REALLY happy! I was hoping for this but you never know with Nintendo. Glad it happens so fast after launching the service!

Sony and Microsoft's paid online services give out 3 or so relatively new games for free, to own, every single month. Most of them aren't even first party so deals need to be worked out with publishers for them. Now I like Nintendo's games way more than most of the free PS Plus or Xbox Live stuff so to me even old Nintendo games beat modern random 3rd party PS/Xbox games, but they should at least be trying to make the service comparable. Not to even mention the bad emulation quality and that no real comment has been made by Nintendo on that. Are they going to trickle out one game a month and then the games themselves are scuffed on top of that? Are they actually planning on fixing any of the many reported issues with the games already on there?

Doesn't really answer my question

And I highly doubt a couple graphical quirks is going to be enough for Nintendo to make a vocal response about. I personally find it obnoxious how much people are complaining about "no fog" and "water temple room bad" as if the game isn't 100% enjoyable and arguably the best-looking it's ever been.

Anyway, if instead of just Paper Mario, it was, say, Paper Mario + Pokemon Snap + Banjo-Kazooie, would that be the tipping point for you to join?

Doesn't really answer my question

And I highly doubt a couple graphical quirks is going to be enough for Nintendo to make a vocal response about. I personally find it obnoxious how much people are complaining about "no fog" and "water temple room bad" as if the game isn't 100% enjoyable and arguably the best-looking it's ever been.

Anyway, if instead of just Paper Mario, it was, say, Paper Mario + Pokemon Snap + Banjo-Kazooie, would that be the tipping point for you to join?

- The game is being emulated at a higher res, but thats not the same as being the best looking its ever been. Ocarina is a game where part of the appeal comes from the visual atmosphere, same as Metroid or ICO. The reported visual issues with the emulation actively detract from the atmosphere: Areas that should appear soft and foggy appear pixelated. Levels that should appear hazy are instead drab.

- If Nintendo could release more games at a more regular pace, as their competition do, then that would certainly increase the value proposition.

- The game is being emulated at a higher res, but thats not the same as being the best looking its ever been. Ocarina is a game where part of the appeal comes from the visual atmosphere, same as Metroid or ICO. The reported visual issues with the emulation actively detract from the atmosphere: Areas that should appear soft and foggy appear pixelated. Levels that should appear hazy are instead drab.

This is a highly subjective matter. You might as well say it's only worth playing on a CRT, which is a fine opinion.

- If Nintendo could release more games at a more regular pace, as their competition do, then that would certainly increase the value proposition.

I mean yeah, they could always increase their value proposition. But what they are offering now is already enough for them to see the results they want. Whether or not we feel like it sucks and isn't worth it for us.

So this is a good one? The only Paper Mario i've played is Super and Sticker Star, and i bounced off SS really early. Nintendo need to hurry so i can play TTYD already.

I mean it took over 2 years for Xbox to do their final BC drop

So this is a good one? The only Paper Mario i've played is Super and Sticker Star, and i bounced off SS really early. Nintendo need to hurry so i can play TTYD already.
The best(TTYD has huge pacing issues), it’s perfectly paced and a lot of fun, full of character.

Not my favorite Paper Mario, but it is superior to TTYD in my opinion. Has incredible charm, visual design, and perfect length.

Yeah, I am looking forward to this as I missed the whole N64 times.

What advantage is there topayimg $50 for the service now and not waiting a year or so for the service to actually be mildly worth it?

This is irrelevant.

I'm not saying they're bad games or that games of that vintage have no value. I'm saying that Nintendo has had 25 years of experience and technological progress to figure out how to faithfully present them and they still don't. They're not delivering quality for the N64 titles, and with one title after 2 months, they're not delivering quantity either. It's disappointing.

I'm not saying they're bad games or that games of that vintage have no value. I'm saying that Nintendo has had 25 years of experience and technological progress to figure out how to faithfully present them and they still don't. They're not delivering quality for the N64 titles, and with one title after 2 months, they're not delivering quantity either. It's disappointing.
And that's what i mean when saying that that's irrelevant. Emulation is clearly harder than we think it is, even for first parties. Neither Sony nor Microsoft have been able to fully emulate their machines without involving hardware in the proccess, Sega is a constant shitshow with the only exception of he Mega Drive mini.

The N64 has always been complex to emulate, with all the different microcodes, its architecture and general weirdness. It's a console that, in the dawn of the Gamecube era, Nintendo admitted they made too complex on purpose.

Something that bothers me when it comes to emulation is that people think that for first parties is easier to emulate their own consoles because they have their own documentation. It clearly isn't, it if were, Sony and Microsoft would be offering full, no strings attached backwards compatibility up to their first consoles and N64, old as it is, wouldn't be the bane of Nintendo's retro offering plans.

And yes, we could talk about Mupen, about Pj64 and about Cen64 among other emulators, but those have had a development story of more than a decade (With Pj64 going through a forced malware phase in the early 2000s, even).

This is industry wide, and if Microsoft hasn't been able to put out a fully fledged emulator for their Xbox i don't think Nintendo can do that with their most complex console, either.

I'm not defending Nintendo, mind you, but commenting the general state of first party emulation. It's obvious that things are not that easy for either of the three big cheeses and it should be taken in account.

I think first and second Paper Mario are great but I also think that only better aspect these first games have compared to the two of the newest is combat. Otherwise the newest are better.

Are we just pretending you won't spend a huge portion of the time in combat now?

The first two paper Mario's also have far superior character designs, at the bare minimum, because they hadn't ended up on this weird "We can't include things that would actually make a koopa or toad stand out" direction.

And that's what i mean when saying that that's irrelevant. Emulation is clearly harder than we think it is, even for first parties. Neither Sony nor Microsoft have been able to fully emulate their machines without involving hardware in the proccess, Sega is a constant shitshow with the only exception of he Mega Drive mini.

The N64 has always been complex to emulate, with all the different microcodes, its architecture and general weirdness. It's a console that, in the dawn of the Gamecube era, Nintendo admitted they made too complex on purpose.

Something that bothers me when it comes to emulation is that people think that for first parties is easier to emulate their own consoles because they have their own documentation. It clearly isn't, it if were, Sony and Microsoft would be offering full, no strings attached backwards compatibility up to their first consoles and N64, old as it is, wouldn't be the bane of Nintendo's retro offering plans.

And yes, we could talk about Mupen, about Pj64 and about Cen64 among other emulators, but those have had a development story of more than a decade (With Pj64 going through a forced malware phase in the early 2000s, even).

This is industry wide, and if Microsoft hasn't been able to put out a fully fledged emulator for their Xbox i don't think Nintendo can do that with their most complex console, either.

I'm not defending Nintendo, mind you, but commenting the general state of first party emulation. It's obvious that things are not that easy for either of the three big cheeses and it should be taken in account.
It absolutely is substantially easier for first parties to emulate their own platforms, but that doesn't make it easy, or in particular easy to do at full speed on limited console hardware. The problem with Nintendo in particular is that they have a uniquely diverse set of hardware to emulate while also seemingly not having an especially large team tasked with doing so.

It absolutely is substantially easier for first parties to emulate their own platforms, but that doesn't make it easy, or in particular easy to do at full speed on limited console hardware. The problem with Nintendo in particular is that they have a uniquely diverse set of hardware to emulate while also seemingly not having an especially large team tasked with doing so.

I doubt any of the big three does, actually, i can give you Microsoft though since they have been trying really hard to make BC part of the Xbox ecosystem, but we already know the results and, while satisfactory, they're also uncomplete.

I honestly don't think Nintendo should be singled in this.

Last edited:
reads thread

Adding Paper Mario to NSO was clearly Nintendo striking out against Famiboards. Why destroy your enemies when you can get your enemies to destroy themselves?

I'm not surprised at one game at a time, but I would expect this to be a same-day drop kind of deal... or a couple days... not 8

Here's a thought. What if the slow roll-out is in response to criticism of nothing but dross coming to the other platforms? If dynamic content is supposed to be part of the value, Nintendo is afraid of blowing their wad too early. So they have to drag it out. And they have fewer games to work with this time around.

This is the problem with classic games as a subscription service. Dynamic content works for services with current material because new stuff is always being produced. But for legacy content, there material is both finite and, even worse, known. So you either go big early and run out of things to add - cue cries of "They haven't added anything for ages!" - or you drag it out - cue cries of "Why aren't all the things I want here already!"

I'd definitely opt for the former because I think the dynamism of the content is overrated. If the content is large enough, even several years of subs will still be a better deal than if you bought everything on offer individually. The problem is that the EP has a long way to go to get that point in my view.

I don't have NSO so I can't compare, is the emulation alright on its own? I'm not picky, but I heard there are some problems with the timing involved on battles.
You should be ok if your playing the Wii VC via Wii mode. The N64 is pretty good on Wii. It’s Wii U that is not great.

You're addressing a lot of arguments I didn't make. I know the N64 is complex and hard to emulate. I believe it's even hard for the company that designed the system and is uniquely resourced and incentivized to make a great N64 experience. Fine, it's hard. But these are all decisions they made, and it's fair to judge them on the decisions they made.

Nintendo decided they were going to do the hard thing. Bully for them. They put R&D into running N64 games on Switch, came up with this, and said "That's good enough, ship it". They could have concluded it needed more work and internally delayed it, so that even launching 9 games, they'd have a premium product. They also could have concluded it was not going to be up to their standards on current hardware and shelved it for the future.

But no, they announced it as the cornerstone of their premium online service. They went ahead with a small selection of games, badly emulated, and might add one every 2 months. That's disappointing.

They went ahead with a small selection of games, badly emulated, and might add one every 2 months.
They're not badly emulated, unless you think Ocarina of Time represents the whole N64 library.

In the initial selection there's Mario Tennis, wich has been famously hard to emulate for more than a decade, and the majorly of the library runs almost flawlessly save for the reduced fog.

Ocarina of time has some issues in one room. That's it, that's the extent of how badly the N64 games are emulated.

Sounds good. Especially since i have a lot of problems with modern games due to pacing/bloat
Oh the intro does take a little bit
They're not badly emulated, unless you think Ocarina of Time represents the whole N64 library.

In the initial selection there's Mario Tennis, wich has been famously hard to emulate for more than a decade, and the majorly of the library runs almost flawlessly save for the reduced fog.

Ocarina of time has some issues in one room. That's it, that's the extent of how badly the N64 games are emulated.
Star Fox 64 is the definitive version for example

It's not just the one room, though, is it? Kokiri Forest has lost all of its atmosphere.
I should preface this with the obvious caveat that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and my opinion is obviously not the standard experience. Ive played OoT at least once a year since its original release and if no one had pointed out the fog and everything I wouldn't have noticed. The only thing that did stand out to me this playthrough was the water in Dark Link's room. To be honest I didn't care, I'm in the room like 10 minutes tops. Only thing I didn't like was the iron boots not being an item but I wished we had gotten the 3ds version in some form instead. Makes the water temple a slog to play through.

I doubt any of the big three does, actually, i can give you Microsoft though since they have been trying really hard to make BC part of the Xbox ecosystem, but we already know the results and, while satisfactory, they're also uncomplete.

I honestly don't think Nintendo should be singled in this.
Microsoft is limited by licensing as much as they are from a technical perspective. They could have avoided that, because their consoles can read the original discs, but they chose to implement it in a way that requires every supported game to be licensed.

Let's not act like this is a problem in one room in one game. There are emulation issues across the board, which impact OoT the worst because it makes relatively heavy use of techniques that aren't working properly. If you're not noticing them, that's fine, but a lot of other people are and they really need to be fixed to the extent possible.
I should preface this with the obvious caveat that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and my opinion is obviously not the standard experience. Ive played OoT at least once a year since its original release and if no one had pointed out the fog and everything I wouldn't have noticed. The only thing that did stand out to me this playthrough was the water in Dark Link's room. To be honest I didn't care, I'm in the room like 10 minutes tops. Only thing I didn't like was the iron boots not being an item but I wished we had gotten the 3ds version in some form instead. Makes the water temple a slog to play through.
It was immediately obvious to me that something looked off about Kokiri Forest, but I couldn't pinpoint exactly what until I saw a comparison.

Microsoft is limited by licensing as much as they are from a technical perspective. They could have avoided that, because their consoles can read the original discs, but they chose to implement it in a way that requires
A modern console that only has "backwards compatibility" through the original media is practically bloody worthless. At that point you might as well just have bought a second hand original console.

I'm excited for those NSO (subscribers who never had the chance to play the original Paper Mario. It behooves you all to rectify this oversight, whether it be through ignorance, incompetence, or unfortunate inability and inaccessibility.

A good number --and seemingly growing-- of people would even say it's the best one. It's been a long time since I've played either it or The Thousand Year Door, so I'm not going to say too strongly one way or the other, but I'm not about to disagree here.
It's incredibly cozy and charming, well-paced, enjoyable gameplay. I'd definitely say it's good.

So, the teams really think that piling on endless Paper Puns really is why the series was popular, huh. What a disconnect between what I think and what they apparently think.
Paper puns can be cute.
They shouldn't be the basis of the writing, nor ever-present, nor too self-congratulatory or egregious.
The world and writing can play itself straight, perhaps using paper for flavor.
Basically, the world should present some sense of verisimilitude, and overreliance on paper puns can make the world seem paper thin, if not as scritta.

In short, yeah, original Paper Mario is good, and people should play it.

I really wish you could just buy the NSO games instead of being forced to subscribe to play them
This is what I come to, though. I don't tend to mention it in NSO threads at all, because, well, it seems weird and somewhat aggressive to come into the thread just to say I don't like the base concept, but ... I'm not a fan of the subscription-based future (and thus, also of GaaS).
Do you really think three games would make you subscribe? If you haven't already, I'm not sure why you're expecting a single update to make you want to jump in.
Which, yeah, unless I'm holding out for specific games, this makes sense. I'm not even sure I'd use online enough to justify the base subscription, and that's with various games included as part of the service. For the games themselves, I'd really prefer to also be able to just obtain those without having to worry about the subscription.
That's not to say people can't make a value judgement of their own. I think it's usually less about single updates, and more about the ongoing cycle of value, especially when people are now paying specifically for the games and not for online service that includes games in addition.

But that's enough digression. My lack of enthusiasm for the service doesn't change the current direction, nor should it detract from the enjoyment people derive thereof. Once again, I'm glad for the people who get to experience the original Paper Mario for the first time. Enjoy!

A modern console that only has "backwards compatibility" through the original media is practically bloody worthless. At that point you might as well just have bought a second hand original console.
It's not an either or. Licensing old games for digital distribution is valuable, but to let people use their old discs through "backwards compatibility" while limiting the compatibility to only what can be licensed for digital distribution is kind of a joke. Even with Microsoft's emulator being heavily reliant on pre-processing, in principle, there's no reason why that couldn't happen at install time.

@Pokemaniac already summed up my thoughts on documentation making it easier, but I'd also throw in that the expectations are different here. Nintendo's (and Sony's/Microsoft's, but they're not my focus) official emulators are effectively commercial products. The standard is higher, as evidenced by the reaction to what's honestly a pretty competent N64 emulator in the grand scheme of things. It's easier, but not necessarily easy, and people essentially expect flawless conversions with enhancements to boot.

All of this to say that I do agree with your larger point that it's not simple for these companies to get their entire back catalogs on modern systems.
Star Fox 64 is the definitive version for example
Even this has weird visual artifacts, particularly in the scripted scenes on Corneria, with an occasionally solid vertical bar spanning a few pixels wide that goes across the entire height of the screen for a frame or two. I've admittedly not played the original N64 release, but I don't think this was in it.

@Pokemaniac already summed up my thoughts on documentation making it easier, but I'd also throw in that the expectations are different here. Nintendo's (and Sony's/Microsoft's, but they're not my focus) official emulators are effectively commercial products. The standard is higher, as evidenced by the reaction to what's honestly a pretty competent N64 emulator in the grand scheme of things. It's easier, but not necessarily easy, and people essentially expect flawless conversions with enhancements to boot.

All of this to say that I do agree with your larger point that it's not simple for these companies to get their entire back catalogs on modern systems.

Even this has weird visual artifacts, particularly in the scripted scenes on Corneria, with an occasionally solid vertical bar spanning a few pixels wide that goes across the entire height of the screen for a frame or two. I've admittedly not played the original N64 release, but I don't think this was in it.
Likely an overscan effect, people forget that’s a thing a lot

It's not an either or. Licensing old games for digital distribution is valuable, but to let people use their old discs through "backwards compatibility" while limiting the compatibility to only what can be licensed for digital distribution is kind of a joke. Even with Microsoft's emulator being heavily reliant on pre-processing, in principle, there's no reason why that couldn't happen at install time.

Exactly this: to suggest that Microsoft can either have only its current form of backward compatibility or can only allow backward compatibility through the original media is to create a false dichotomy. By all means, allowing said feature without requiring the original media is good, but it's better if those who do have that original media can use it as well. And it provides additional sustained value to both that original media and the new hardware. There's no inherent reason there cannot be both.

Perhaps there might be some outside factor regulating circumstances such that allowing this use is impractical, but, barring that, it makes sense that hardware with the ability to do so should allow compatibility with the previous media; furthermore, it would make sense for the manufacturer not to go out of its way to erase the aforementioned compatibility for the removal's sake alone -- though that's assuming a willingness to allow the customer to make use of what they already have, rather than require a new purchase.

For instance, I find that, so long as it is feasible, further Nintendo consoles should retain the ability to play Switch games and the games that come later. It allows a sense that these games are a worthwhile purchase, that they will retain their use. Reprints of the games could even continue.
But this doesn't mean other options should be disallowed (for instance, digital purchases should also carry forward, and thus this really creates parity between the media forms).

Loved Color Splash and Origami King so I'll give this a try

This is actually the only Paper Mario (outside of color splash but cut me some slack) that I haven’t beat… I actually never played this one.

I think it’s some hiccups to do time constraints. Because NERD as a whole does amazing work you there with M2. The SNES games and their work on 3D All Stars was fantastic.

Honestly, I just think they running out of time for the launch of the expansion service and considering how tricky N64 emulation is, they needed more of said time.

Now considering their body of work and abilities, do I expect them to fix these issues and can I assume they are to this day still working on the emulator? Yes I can. I will give them the benefit of the doubt because they have proven that in the past.

If they don’t, it’s because home office out then on something else for now.

Back
Top Bottom